Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Just letting people know that I have not forgotten about this, I've just been pretty busy with many things, so I haven't been able to spare as much time as I would have liked working on the update. But it's still coming, I'm up to over 90 screenshots on it so far.

It'll have a lot of dungeon and a few minibosses, including one monster that I simply was unable to defeat before. It'll cover the first two floors of the bonus dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Ooh, big ouchies for you!

Previously:

Chapter LXXX: I am finally free

Reward:
  • 250,000 G

• Obtained Alabaster Orb! Rush can now use Wards!
  • Obtained Stone of the Imperator!

- Dungeon Video: Ancient Ruins – Apex Tier

So after beating the Fallen, we obtained the Stone of the Imperator. Now I’ll show you what that’s for. We need to go to the Second Path first.

I’m including dungeon videos for the bonus dungeon, with all duplicate fights against the same enemies cut out. But even though I split it into five videos, there’s over an hour of footage, so only watch what you feel like. The Observer fight is probably the highlight.

Music: Labyrinth

We’ve got to go to the top left, which is a straight line shot.

This imposing door is at the bottom.

The Stone of the Imperator, which we get from beating The Fallen (on the PC version) is what is required to open it up.

Music: Whispers of the Ancients

Welcome to the Ancient Ruins, the bonus dungeon for Last Remnant. The gimmick for this dungeon is that there is no map. Not even a minimap. It looks more interesting than your standard caves, but it retains the lack of useful landmarks. Luckily I have a good sense of direction. And a wiki.

This is the first and shortest tier. The boss room is straight ahead, the key to unlock the next level is in the northwest room. The exit doesn’t lead back to the Second Path, it just takes you right to the world map.

There are only Amoeba-type enemies on this floor’s hallways. They’re more of a warm-up than anything. Khrynia needs a drop from them for an upgrade.

Music: Beat the Odds

Rule one of fighting is like, kill the bad guys!

I’ve put Khrynia, Pagus, and Glenys in charge of their unions to shake things up a little. I’m sorta-trying to get Pagus’s Remnant art to trigger, but it has the same conditions as the Gae Bolg, which are pretty restrictive.

Hey! You don’t suck after all!

‘Bout to waste you, son!

Ooh, big ouchies for you!

learned Cheer!

Cheer is a high-level Ward which as you can expect boosts your morale.

Formations are perhaps the worst of all treasures. Especially on a NG+ where they’ve been carried over.

Obtained Grammi Key!

I still need to defeat the boss of the floor before I can go to the next, though.

A couple of Diatrama’s, wyvern-type enemies.

I think Decoy must also give a defense boost as well, since that was a critical and it only did 708 damage.

I could use the boost.

Thank you.

And that does it.

learned Mixed Message III!
learned Double Time III!
learned Restore V!

Whoops! Hi there!

learned Restore IV!

There is some good treasure in the Ancient Ruins as well, too, although this Remnant, the Daedelus is Qsiti-specific. Specifically, Sibal requests it.

This is the boss room. The boss is Ymir, a colossus-type enemy. Dragging the Diatrymas into the fight is optional, but what the hell.

- MiniBoss Video: Ymir

The Cyclops will certainly help.

Cyclops!

Jager almost one-shots one of them. But not quite.

Music: Turn the Tide

Yeah! This is our big chance!

Come on, we’ve caught ‘em with their pants down!

And done on 5 turns. Ymir is always captured, and you can use him to create an Imperator’s Bangle at a workshop… for more gold than it costs to buy one, and it uses 20 Blueprint 4’s which are only dropped by rare monsters which generally only appear once. So I don’t know what the point is.

learned Bluff III!

The Grammi key has unlocked the teleporter. Use the Teleporter?

You can also use these to quickly get back to the world map if you choose. But we’re moving on to Grammi Tier.

- Dungeon Video: Ancient Ruins: Grammi Tier - Anatoray

Grammi Tier is divided into two sections. The first is Antoray, and it is a straight path with little diversion.

Get ready to get powned!

learned Protection III!
learned Mighty Cyclone!
learned:
  • Mighty Dragon’s Tail!
  • Mighty Dragon’s Tail II!

That was fun, but it’s time to get boring and restore my regular configuration, because some of the encounters farther in are significantly tougher.

These are Greater Demons, and I’ve found that I can only safely engage one at a time, not linking together a few.

It’s just that the combination of high HP and high damage means fighting 5-6 or more of them at once can wear you out quickly.

Each union has about 150,000 HP each.

And even their normal attacks can do decent damage. So when you have 5 of these unions at once flank attacking and using special attacks like Switch and Twister, they can quickly overwhelm you. Still, I’ll hunt a few down because they drop components Emmy wants. The video skips the first Demon fight because the second one is more interesting.

learned Addle II!
learned Addle II!

Yay.

Weakling!

learned Restorative Tincture III!
learned Nimble Acala’s Wrath II!

- Video: Rare Monster Observer (Fight 1)

There are certain rare monsters which can appear in the Ancient Ruins as well. They can appear multiple times. Linking them together is not recommended for newcomers. I cut this fight out of the Antoray tour video into a separate video.

Observer has a very nasty gimmick, so I’m glad that I got Namul Niram. I’ll need all the help I can get with this. Wyngale will lower Observer’s morale, Jager is on healing duty, everyone else is standing by.

May our strengths become one!

So that’s what the ceiling looks like in here.

Don’t let him take you out!

Observer has the usual high-level attacks.

Starting sometime between turns 2-4, Observer will begin to cast Overdrive at the start of the turn, every turn from now on. It has powerful enough attacks that it can take a union from 9999 HP to dead in one Overdrive-boosted turn.

So this is the end…

It only need 4 of them to wipe the mage union.

You still with us?

And of course Overdrive works against every union deadlocked with it. Needless to say, this makes Observer nearly impossible to kill. And since you cannot flee from battle, well, getting caught by one can be a game over. So save often in these ruins.

The only good thing is that summons are almost completely immune to all statuses (except Enthrall).

Being a Ninja is really handy. I think this is the only real way to engage Observer, at least, without being able to burn through its 418,000-660,000 HP in two turns.

At least that’s what I thought until I checked the ever-helpful wiki. Apparently Cachexia can also prevent Overdrive from being cast, if you cast it at the end of the turn.

Lord David…
This isn’t over yet!

Observer can’t hit anyone Raidlocking, flanking, or rear assaulting them, so they can’t use Overdrive there. The trick is that like pretty much all rares, you need 4 unions to be able to flank once, so you can only really do it with leaders who have special abilities to let them flank with only one union deadlocking.

I was just takin’ a nap and all.

I don’t dare stop using Rear Assault.

That’s more HP than any of my unions has in total. My strategy is to let Namul Niram tank, while everyone heals and stands by, and Rush rear assaults. It’s slow, but about as safe as it gets.

The damage is slowly adding up.

Sometimes you don’t get the options to stand by, and then this happens. But Wyngale is on healing duty and picks her right back up.

And finally Observer is in critical.

I sensed blood and went for the killing blow.

That was literally the first time I ever managed to defeat Observer. I usually just run around them. Also, arts for everyone!

learned:
  • Nimble Spring Squall III!
  • Confuse V!
learned Poison Gas II!
learned Vivification Tincture II!
learned Blackout II!
learned Revitalize III!
learned Protection III!

Naturally, Observer drops high-level components. It can even be captured, and you need 5 captured Observers to craft a very special weapon. I’ll be trying to do that later, since I have the other components anyway.

That does it for the first half of this map.

- Dungeon Video: Ancient Ruins: Grammi Tier - Disith

This map is also rather straightforward. Entrance at top-right, exit at bottom right, boss at middle-right, teleporter key at bottom left.

Another nice weapon here and one that Rush can actually use. Haruko requests this.

The upper-left room has another Observer.

And there’s another in the one in the room leading to the rest of the level. They’re close enough that you can link them together into one encounter! (Don’t do that.)

These corridors are crowded with Greater Demons, so stay on your toes.

Yeah, I don’t think so.

- Miniboss Video: Holy Servant

And here’s the miniboss I need to defeat to leave Grammi Tier: the Holy Servant.

We’ve fought Dragons before, and this one shouldn’t be too difficult by now.

You okay?

This is like the second time I’ve seen an enemy use Petrification. It’s supposed to be a one-hit kill if they get hit again, but curing it is Refresh, the same as everything else except Curse and Enthralled.

It doesn’t even seem to inhibit one from attacking. (Yes it was Darien who was petrified but he could attack just fine.)

I’m gonna put you in the ground!

Are you all right?

Eh, I’ve been worse. The next turn I’ll mostly use recovery arts because I get few good combat options.

Paris had just cast Protection, so it looks like if it rolls a deathblow, that just flat-out ignores Protection. I guess that makes some sense since deathblow attacks do no damage otherwise.

Stand, soldier!

Music: Clash of Opposites

Our morale is at half, and we’ve got plenty of options to increase it. Irina will also go revive Jager. In fact Irina has two identical options to use Kiss of Life. Yeah, I don’t know how that could happen either.

Holy Servant is forced to blow their end-of-turn attack on lowering our morale.

But it’s not hard for us to get it all back again.

Yeah! This is our big chance!

Don’t underestimate your foes!

Still not in critical yet?

Okay, that did it.

Have I mentioned that Violet is strong? Because Violet is strong.

It still survived that?

No matter, it won’t last another turn.

And that does it. No new arts from this battle, though. Holy Servant is captured. It can be used to craft an Imperator’s Ring. Once again, it costs more to create it than to buy it from the store in Undelwalt. And since I’m pretty sure that captured monsters don’t carry over to NG+ even if they’re also components, I fail to see the point.

This teleporter seems to be limited. You’ll need a key to progress to the next stage.

A key? But where? I’ve been everywhere on this level except…

Oh…

…Ah, crap.

New Arts Summary

learned:
  • Cheer!
  • Mixed Message III!
  • Nimble Spring Squall III!
  • Confuse V!
learned:
  • Double Time III!
  • Protection III!
learned Restore V!
learned:
  • Restore IV!
  • Blackout II!
learned:
  • Bluff III!
  • Addle II!
learned Mighty Cyclone!
learned:
  • Mighty Dragon’s Tail!
  • Mighty Dragon’s Tail II!
learned Addle II!
learned Restorative Tincture III!
learned:
  • Nimble Acala’s Wrath II!
  • Poison Gas II!
learned Vivification Tincture II!
learned Revitalize III!
learned Protection III!

Dungeon: Ancient Ruins – Apex Tier
MiniBoss: Ymir
Dungeon: Ancient Ruins: Grammi Tier - Anatoray
Rare Monster Observer (Fight 1)
Dungeon: Ancient Ruins: Grammi Tier - Disith
Miniboss: Holy Servant

Next Time: ???

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 14, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Fifteen minutes for a trash mob :stare:

Yikes, that's a bit tougher than the standard Tales rare monster (those stupid spinning plates of metal).

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 20, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I understand how when you already have it it's kind of lackluster, but isn't a formation upgrade pretty good loot? I mean, it's like a simultaneous gear upgrade for five people at once, right?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What does it take to capture something? Is it random luck or something specific?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

I understand how when you already have it it's kind of lackluster, but isn't a formation upgrade pretty good loot? I mean, it's like a simultaneous gear upgrade for five people at once, right?

Formations are stat bonuses and penalties for certain positions, and sometimes a few other passives as well. I honestly make very little use of formations. In part that’s because I form my unions by grouping like units. If I spread mystic and combat units together, I could take better advantage of formations to give better boosts, but it's only really needed for specific circumstances like fighting certain tough enemies, so I don't really bother unless there's something particularly tough that I need as many advantages as possible to defeat.

In addition, formation upgrades tend to require very specific unit combinations in your union. Dragontail is an upgrade to the Rattail formation, and it needs 5 Physical units, 4 Special units, 1 Leader Without Special, 2 Mitra, 1 Female, and 1 Yama. And the further upgrades of Dragontail have higher requirements.

They can also be used to tweak the speed of a union, so if you want them to act sooner, put them in a high mobility formation (there aren't many of those). If you want them to go last, put them in a low mobility formation. To make dealing with getting those 5 Observer captures easier, in fact, I'll be switching Kate's union to a low-mobility mystic formation.

There are so many formations, and each of them have their own tricky requirements, usually have both upsides and downsides, and they're so rarely useful that it's just not worth the bother 99% of the time.

Lotish posted:

What does it take to capture something? Is it random luck or something specific?

Captures are categorized as enemy drops, so it's pure luck. Some enemies have a 100% chance to be captured, like Ymir and Holy Servant. Observer only has a 30% chance to be captured.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh wow, race/gender requirements too. The other requirements make sense but those are just :psyduck:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Captures are categorized as enemy drops, so it's pure luck. Some enemies have a 100% chance to be captured, like Ymir and Holy Servant. Observer only has a 30% chance to be captured.

Okay, so just thinking about the chances and how many you need, you might expect that it'd take 17 fights to get all the captures you need, if it actually happens 30% of the time and luck doesn't gently caress you. At 15 minutes apiece, you'd be looking at over four hours just in fight time to get that many. Good gravy.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Lotish posted:

Okay, so just thinking about the chances and how many you need, you might expect that it'd take 17 fights to get all the captures you need, if it actually happens 30% of the time and luck doesn't gently caress you. At 15 minutes apiece, you'd be looking at over four hours just in fight time to get that many. Good gravy.

30% is actually not a bad chance. Some rare components like for Violet's weapons have only a 2% chance to drop, and some things are rare splits from captured monsters meaning a double chance of getting screwed by the RNG.

There's more good news too: I learned a tip from the wiki about the right way to fight Observer, and doing it that way, it only takes about 6 and a half minutes. I have 3 of the 5 I need now. I'll have to leave the dungeon and come back for the others, but I'd have had to do that anyway since only 4 appear in total.

I've almost finished recordings for the next update, it's just the final boss of the dungeon giving me a bit of trouble, but I've killed it before, so I'm sure I can do it again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is that the actual door or is there something clipping through it?

Man, that Observer. Overdrive is pretty ridiculous regardless but being able to use it that often is just ludicrous.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I remember seeing this thread when it was new. Before I go deeper, is Rush Nowe stupid or Leonard stupid?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

He's nowhere near that crowd.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If Rush were that stupid, he would have never figured out that he was a Remnant himself.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dammit gang! Stab the guy! You already beat him in a harrowing boss fight! Why are you just letting Irina take the brunt of his moves!? Why are you just letting him destroy your way of life!? Come on!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Kibayasu posted:

Is that the actual door or is there something clipping through it?

Both!

(An Observer is clipping through the door.)

HR12345 posted:

I remember seeing this thread when it was new. Before I go deeper, is Rush Nowe stupid or Leonard stupid?

I don't think Rush is that bad. In my opinion he gets much more tolerable after Chapter 11 of the LP, which is quite early on.

SSNeoman posted:

Dammit gang! Stab the guy! You already beat him in a harrowing boss fight! Why are you just letting Irina take the brunt of his moves!? Why are you just letting him destroy your way of life!? Come on!

My interpretation is that he's seriously tough and seriously powerful. Even as wounded as he is, he still has enough power to throw the party back and keep them at bay long enough to finish what he was doing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hold still so I can tear you apart!

Before I fight this guy, I need to make a minor change to my configuration.

I think you can probably guess the reason Kate is in charge. I’ve also changed her formation to be one which has hefty penalties to mobility.

- Video: Beating Observer the easy way

Go all out on Observer.

It turns out, if Cachexia is cast as the last thing in the turn, after Observer has acted, Observer can’t cast Overdrive at the start of the next turn. So I have disabled all other attack arts except Kate’s Cachexia, and ensured that her union will be slow enough to act last.

Without Overdrive, Observer doesn’t really have anything else particularly dangerous in its playbook.

When I don’t have to worry about Overdrive, I can just kill this guy in 5 turns (6 and a half minutes.)

learned:
  • Revitalize IV!
  • Revitalize IV!
learned Maledict!
learned Mystic Missile II!
learned:
  • Mighty Smash IV!
  • Mighty Switchback III!

- Dungeon Video: Metopon Tier - Boreas

Moving on…

Metopon Tier is full of small corridors. The exit is in the northwest, and there’s little else of interest on the floor.

learned Kiss of Life!

They’re mostly full of Ancbolders, which are annoying because if they see you, they get Vehment and chase you forever. But they have lots of good drops of weapons components. They also have magazine drops for David and Glenys.

Emmy learning Kiss of Life is nice, it means there’s now a third Remedies user who can resurrect.

Oblivion Wing is the multiple Rare on Metopon tier. It has the Phantom gimmick of being annoying and paralyzing you on the world map to force you to stop, but other than that it’s not very threatening.

Although of course bad rolls do happen.

learned Mighty Smash III!
learned Nimble Dragon Crush III!
learned Throat Salve III!

learned Peerless Switchback IV!

Weapons built for speed give the Nimble and later Swift prefixes to arts, and those built for power go from Mighty to Peerless.

Pagus requests this.

The path to the next area of this tier is past these two Oblivion Wings. If you just try to run past, they’ll paralyze you and then get an enemy advantage. I don’t feel like fighting them, so I’ll just timeshift to the exit. There are two doors next to each other.

- Dungeon Video: Metopon Tier - Notus

This map is mostly just narrow corridors, meaning that you’re pretty much forced to fight anything you find in there. The boss is in the center, blocking the way to the key we’ll need for the teleporter in the lower left.

learned Poison Gas V!
learned Poison Gas III!

Whoops! I timeshifted to grab all three, but didn’t trigger it in time so I only got one of the Ancbolders. Rush now actually has the prerequisite skill to cast Animalcule, even though that’s his only Hex art.

Nope, not fighting you, I don’t feel like doing that at all.

This is the treasure that’s past all that stuff. The Goddess Wristlet gives a +50% bonus to HP, which is huge, as well as a bonus vs Demons and a bonus for using pierce-type arts. The Valiant Eardrop gives Physical Resist +5 and +5 Defense vs Pierce and Maul-type arts.

Looks like the Oblivion Wing teleported itself elsewhere. Fine by me. You’ve certainly forgotten, but using your timeshift without tagging any enemies, and letting it run out resets the enemy aggro. This is one level where that is very helpful if you want to avoid every fight.

learned Revitalize II!

Right behind Rush is the door to the first half of the level. Ahead is the start of the long narrow corridor section.

I didn’t even bother to record the fight, but Wyngale learning Revitalize II means he can learn Rejuvenating water. That means I’m going to rearrange my unions to teach Rush and Wyngale their new arcana.

Rush’s union is set up to cast Poison gas and that’s about it. Violet moved to Wyngale because she can cast healing arts.

Video: Rush Animalcule & Wyngale Rejuvenating Water

Let’s give that a try, then. First I’ll try to have Rush and Wyngale stand by for a turn to build up AP, which is unlikely to work because I can’t deadlock 5 unions with only 3 of my own.

Switch took off exactly 50% health from my 4-man union. That doesn’t seem like a coincidence.

Rush got intercepted, but that wasn’t unexpected.

This is what I’ve been waiting for!

I’ll try to save Rush, but it’s actually in line with my goals if one union dies.

Take care of yourselves!
Thanks!

Ghor’s not dying this turn, it seems.

Some Shards can hit an AoE, but it’s usually only a small one.

Music: Flamedrop

I was wondering if I had enough AP to cast Animalcule. The answer is “not quite”.

They can’t be poisoned and seem to be a bit resistant to it.

Good. Next turn, I’ll tell everyone to revive, and hopefully, Wyngale’s union will be slow enough that it forces a reassessment to Rejuvenating Water.

That hit Jager’s union the worst.

How annoying.

You beasts!

Well, that at least means it’s likely that I’ll get a command to bring them back, with only non-leaders dead, sometimes the game doesn’t think that’s important, but a dead leader will certainly give you commands to bring them back.

Don’t push yourself!

And there it is. Wyngale only needs one more Arcana to qualify for the Warlock class. Unfortunately, it’s the second Invocation art of Crimson Flare. That one requires Wyngale to learn Grenade Impact, and he hasn’t even learned the prerequisite of Wildfire yet. This also means that now I can enable Remedies on all other mystics users. I had them turned off to force any healing to be done through Wyngale, to get him to learn Revitalize II faster.

Now I just have to wait for another 4-Poison Gas cast with Rush.

I’ll have to break Deadlock, but that should do it.

Yay! We’re totally BFF!

And that’s a wrap. I’m going back to a more normal party configuration after this, because this dungeon is still pretty tough. I said it a while ago, but once a party leader has learned an arcana, it can come up as an option to use at high morale even if the union couldn’t force-cast it normally.

learned Animalcule!
learned Rejuvenating Water!
learned Addle III!

Here’s the teleporter in the lower-middle part of the map, but I can’t proceed yet. They key is past the boss.

Nothing in here, so once again, forget this.

- Video: Miniboss – Terror Wing

Here’s the boss of the tier. Well kinda. It’s not Oblivion Wing, they’re just going to guest-star.

First blood is yours.

We’ll be facing off against Terror Wing, which is not really much different than Oblivion Wing in terms of capabilities.

Come on, finish them off!

That’s unfortunate. But Irina came right along and fixed all that up, so good.

Prepare yourselves!

The Ragna-Rock makes Rush immune to Enthrall, and if a status is nullified by a leader, I’m sure it won’t hit anyone else in the union.

Hit him harder!

Music: Clash of Opposites

Okay this fight just isn’t that interesting, sorry. The boss is just not threatening.

But hey, Khrynia has upgraded Moonshadow at least.

Yes, please do speed this along, Wyngale.

Quit foolin’ around!

Well, it helped at least.

Good, Terror Wing is in critical.

That’s pretty impressive.

Hold still so I can tear you apart!

Victory Sweep is a high-level Power Grip art for swords. It’s a V-shaped maneuver.

Terror Wing should be done this turn.

Watch this!

Hmph. Not bad.

Hit him harder!

Damnit!

About time.

learned Refresh III!
learned Moonshadow II!
learned Victory Sweep!

Terror Wing is automatically captured. It can be captured to make an Imperator’s Pendant (once again, at greater cost than you can purchase it). Or it can be split for a 20% chance of getting a Kelpie’s Core (you only get three chances to get one per playthrough).

Key in hand, it’s just a short jog back to the teleporter… but this update is already long, so we’ll have to leave it for next time, which I promise, will be much sooner than it took to get this update done.

Use the Teleporter?
Go to Choros Tier.

New Arts Summary

learned:
  • Revitalize IV!
  • Revitalize IV!
  • Mystic Missile II!
learned:
  • Maledict!
  • Nimble Dragon Crush III!
  • Addle III!
learned:
  • Mighty Smash IV!
  • Mighty Switchback III!
  • Throat Salve III!
  • Victory Sweep!
learned:
  • Kiss of Life!
  • Poison Gas III!
learned Mighty Smash III!
learned Peerless Switchback IV!
learned:
  • Poison Gas V!
  • Animalcule!
learned:
  • Revitalize II!
  • Rejuvenating Water!
learned Refresh III!
learned Moonshadow II!

Beating Observer the easy way
Dungeon: Metopon Tier - Boreas
Dungeon: Metopon Tier - Notus
Rush Animalcule & Wyngale Rejuvenating Water
Miniboss – Terror Wing

Next Time: Like, here’s a tip? Never say that again.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 14, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm really sorry it took me so long to get this done. I don't think I have any good excuses. Other things I needed to get done just kept getting in the way and other things I would rather be doing instead distracted me, and the weeks kept adding up.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I honestly don't blame you. SSLPs can be a slog, and that's without adding in the SaGa-ness

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

I honestly don't blame you. SSLPs can be a slog, and that's without adding in the SaGa-ness

It wasn't like I couldn't find the time to record, I recorded a month ago.

But I also recorded new content this morning, and I took out a bonus boss on my first try. The Enlightened Seven are now mine. Of course, that only leaves the two bonus bosses which I was unable to defeat last time. ... But last time I was unable to beat THIS bonus boss at BR 83, and I had to reach BR 91 first, whereas I kicked its butt handily in this game at BR 78. 22 Turns and 32 minutes, but it was a very solid victory.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It wasn't like I couldn't find the time to record, I recorded a month ago.

But I also recorded new content this morning, and I took out a bonus boss on my first try. The Enlightened Seven are now mine. Of course, that only leaves the two bonus bosses which I was unable to defeat last time. ... But last time I was unable to beat THIS bonus boss at BR 83, and I had to reach BR 91 first, whereas I kicked its butt handily in this game at BR 78. 22 Turns and 32 minutes, but it was a very solid victory.

I beat the spoilered boss but never fought the others you've been fighting so I'm glad to see this new content.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Like, here’s a tip? Never say that again.

No exploring here, just the boss. I’m switching the Mystic-union formation back to Cachexia-only.

- BOSS Video: Demigod

Oh. Well, nothing for it, I guess.

Come on! Come on!! COME ON!!!

Demigod is a palette swap of The Fallen. There’s good news and bad news. The bad news is that it’s got a lot more HP than the Fallen. The good news is that this fight has no turn limit. We can continue as long as we have members standing. It also doesn’t use special moves at the end of every turn, but random ones. However, it can now cast Fatal Eclipse as one of its end-of-turn moves.

I’m having Rush and Kate stand by because they don’t have the AP to do anything worthwhile right now.

We’re down, but not out!

Super. Now I probably won’t have Kate up and ready to cast Cachexia before Turn 3.

I love how tanky Jager’s union is.

That attack stung a bit, but I’ve seen worse.

I couldn’t have asked for more!

Rush will revive Kate’s union, Emmy will flank Demigod, Irina will attack, and Jager will heal.

Good, they survived that well enough.

You’re all right now that I’m here!

And Demigod didn’t trigger a special at the end of the turn (EoT), excellent. Rush will Cheer, Emmy will flank, Kate will Cachexia, Khrynia will try to silence the boss, and Jager will also lower enemy morale.

Stop slacking!

Phooey. Annoying even if I can keep him from using EoT attacks.

It’s crucial to make sure that Kate casts Cachexia after the boss has used all moves for the turn. If it moves, it can gain enough AP to use an EoT attack. If Kate is acting last in the turn and doing a flank attack, that guarantees that the boss can’t act.

Yeah, this is our big chance!

I’m using both Omnistrike and Dual Snowpetal. No one gets any options to cure Jager, so he’s on healing duty.

You see what I just did? Don’t do this. This moves Rush up in the action order, so he’ll use Omnistrike before the boss attacks, and after he uses Omnistrike, there goes the unions 98% dodge chance. It’s much better to deliberately miss these critical triggers so that the boss has a high chance to whiff his attack.

Oh come now walk it off!

69k damage to Demigod, but I took unnecessary damage to myself.

Violet did more than TWICE the damage of that two-person high-morale special combo attack all by herself with a regular combat art. Dual Snowpetal is okay against single targets, but it’s only excellent against several unions at once.

Jager’s union weathered the curse harmlessly for a turn and got in some good damage and healing as well.

Can you handle this?!

Rush’s union does over 105,000 damage that turn.

The only union which could have cured Jager’s Sect was Kate’s, but Cachexia is too important.

We’re seemingly in great shape, but there’s a problem.

Even though I’ve got more than enough AP to cast Cachexia, the game is not giving me any options for that. So she’s going to stand by, I won’t risk engaging them.

Demigod must be getting low on health if he’s using that.

I’ll stop you no matter the cost!

*giggle*

That’s bad, as any of my own unions can kill any other union at least 5 times over.

Stop slacking!

Oh stop being such a sourpuss, Torgal. He put Demigod into critical. Can’t you respect that?

I need to assign at least two unions to take out Jager, in case he takes out a sole union tasked with taking him out.

Hidden in this image is a clue to how this turn screwed me over. Guess how!

Got you!

That’s them taken care of, excellent.

Ouch.

If you guessed “Kate isn’t flanking, which means that Demigod can move after her”, then you get a gold star! Because while Demigod didn’t have enough AP for whatever “???” was, him moving afterwards…

The hell are you doing?!

That stung. Our morale is starting to dip. We’re below halfway now.

Another poor life choice was to have everyone attack except Irina, who got Rejuvenating Water as a command. Most of my unions are under half health.

Well fought…

That wouldn’t have saved Emmy though.

How dare you!

Oh, and because they were in a normal deadlock at the start of the turn, and not flanking, Kate’s union isn’t going last anymore. Great!

Still, this will help stabilize our surviving unions.

Yay, I forgot to watch my morale and keep it up, and I did dumb things like not keeping anyone deadlocked with the boss and this happens.

Not good!

None of our unions can stand up to Demigod and expect to survive. Emmy has the best shot, so she’ll keep her HP up while the other unions revive the fallen.

Gird yourselves men!

Irina brought back Rush, but gently caress THIS GUY. gently caress HIM. He killed Irina’s full health union by just 93 damage. I’ll just remind you that I got this guy into critical, but then the RNG decided that Kate didn’t REALLY want to cast Cachexia, despite that being her only actual option.

This did 22k damage.

Chocolate fudge brownies.

Are you still with us?

That was well more than Emmy’s max HP. Never, ever, EVER let your morale get low against this boss or he can kill any of your unions easily. Next turn I’m just going to revive and heal everyone.

A very lucky break as Kate’s union would have died to a mild cough, but this completely missed. And then the AI does a good thing – since it can no longer reach the union it was trying to revive, Kate reassesses to Cachexia, so that eliminates the end-of-turn attack.

This is my chance. Rush’s morale lowering option is Addle, which has a minimal effect on the bar, so he’ll be keeping his HP up. Emmy will be using her low health specials, which gives her union a good dodge chance. All Kate can do unfortunately is use a ward. Irina will use Rejuvenating Water, hopefully in time to make a difference. Jager will disengage to get his HP up.

Welp. I really wish that I didn’t want all my unions alive at the end of battle so they get XP.

Really?

No longer needing to heal, Jager’s union reassessed to go bring back Kate. Thanks, AI!

That was only a scratch, despite how little morale I have. Another lucky break.

I take it back. This is the new arcana which the Fallen didn’t get.

Ohhh, looks like that totally hurt!

Did you know that it’s really hard to smash an inch-thick wooden desk top with your head? Still, you just never know until you try, right?

Somehow, I managed to get everyone else back to full HP, so Irina spends her Second Chance to revive Emmy.

You okay?

A reminder that this fight was going very well, with the boss into critical before the loving RNG decided that Kate really didn’t feel like casting Cachexia for ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD GODDAMN REASON. Jager had Protection on, which is why his union took no damage.

My plan: Talisman’s Gift, Hundred Flowers, Second Chance, and Jager will try to save anyone he can.

Here’s something to remember me by!

And once again, the attack does nothing. Oh well, dodging the certain-death attack is good enough (and besides Kate is still KO’ed).

loving finally, a turn ends with no one dead. Sheesh.

gently caress YOU, gently caress YOU, gently caress YOU, I WIN!! … Okay, not the greatest commentary, but that seems right.

Dungeon complete.

learned Refresh III!
learned Mighty Dragon’s Flight!
learned:
  • Flash Strike IV!
  • Mighty Earthrender IV!
learned Mighty Moonshadow!
learned Nimble Quadrille III!
learned Cachexia II!

So many numbers. Our reward for defeating Demigod is 50,000 gold, which is really insulting at this point in the game. That won’t even cover the costs of replacing the Shards I spent here. Oh, and we also get the Eye of Life, which unlocks the final bonus boss. There are only three bonus bosses left. I have only managed to defeat one of them before, and I’m not making any promises about defeating them. I’ll show them off and make a few tries, but they are EXTREMELY DIFFICULT bosses, and I don’t feel like grinding for months to beat them.

What’s in the door beyond Demigod?

Treasure of Divinity – A scarlet metal plate engraved with ancient writings, given to those who have gone through the Ancient Ruins.

Just this. Like many other things, this is useless, just the equivalent of an Achievement. We’re done here.

We gained lots of BR in that dungeon, which means that we passed some thresholds for learning new arts.

Try something new!
Okay! I’ll do my best to help everyone out!

Hmm… learn Psionics? Or continue polishing what I know? What’s the wiser choice?
Don’t run from a challenge!
A challenge, hmm? Fine, I’ll give it a shot.

Hexes… I bet you don’t even know this type of mystic arts? But, like, I’m thinking I should learn it.
Yeah! You go, girl.
Like, here’s a tip? Never say that again.

I tell Wyngale to focus on Mystic arts, and agree to give Pagus the Qsiti-only staff, Kate the Goddess Wristlet, and Jager the Valiant Eardrop. Gaou and Caedmon want to go find weapons components for things not found in the Ancient Ruins, so they’re still a couple upgrades behind most others.

A new hidden guild task has opened up now that I have the Eye of Life. It’s the last hidden task.

See, I can have this rather unimpressive trinket made if I use all my Blueprint 4’s and the Captured Holy Servant.

After a brief stop in towns to replenish my supplies, I went right back into the Ancient Ruins to finish capturing 5 Observers.

learned Cheer II!
learned Fleche II!
learned:
  • Swift Resonance Edge V!
  • Nimble Devil’s Due V!
learned Support II!

That should be five now.

Focus my mystic training… Or start studying Wards…
Try something new!
Mmhmhmhm… It will make me stronger…

learned Orphic Ward!

I now have Twilight of the Gods (dropped from the Fallen), 5 captured Observers, and 99 Blueprint 3’s. By the way, you can’t get enough Blueprint 3’s on one playthrough to craft it. It can only be done on a NG+ or ++ (etc.).

This is the
Faleria Heart, a replica of Athlum’s stolen Remnant. The Faleria Heart is of the two-handed sword class, and as you see, all its stats are 1. However, it has some advantages as well. It increases your physical evasion to 99%, and its regular attacks have a 100% chance to instakill. Let’s show it off.

- Video: Faleria Heart FAIL

It’s best shown off with only Rush in the party.

It only instantly kills one enemy per union. The instakill effect also only works on NORMAL attacks, not Combat Arts.

Blocking 99% of all physical attacks sounds pretty good.

It’d be a LOT better if you could trigger the KO from parrying, though.

And that 1% chance comes up a LOT if you’re the only one on the field.

And the Faleria Heart also only gives a 99% chance of PHYSICAL evasion. It does nothing at all to help you versus Mystic attacks. … In essence, the Faleria Heart is just terrible as an actual weapon.

If you use it on Rush in a standard party, he’s not any more effective than using a normal weapon. In fact, if you’re trying to use the instakill effect, he’s much less effective because standard Combat Arts can kill entire unions. I suppose I could use it with combat arts just for the evasion and parry counter, but the low damage of the weapon would make that option terrible too.

So yep, the Faleria Heart is just a total waste to create. Looks cool, though, doesn’t it?

New Arts Summary

learned:
  • Refresh III!
  • Cheer II!
learned:
  • Mighty Dragon’s Flight!
  • Bluff!
learned:
  • Flash Strike IV!
  • Mighty Earthrender IV!
learned Mighty Moonshadow!
learned Nimble Quadrille III!
learned Cachexia II!
learned:
  • Bluff!
  • Support II!
learned Poison Gas!
learned Fleche II!
learned:
  • Swift Resonance Edge V!
  • Nimble Devil’s Due V!
learned Orphic Ward!

BOSS: Demigod
Faleria Heart FAIL

Next Time: I’ll make you wish you’d never been born!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 14, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That is a very, very mean reward. I like gimmicky weapons, but that's just insulting. Especially since the drat thing's part of the game's logo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SSNeoman posted:

That is a very, very mean reward. I like gimmicky weapons, but that's just insulting. Especially since the drat thing's part of the game's logo.

A lot of gimmick builds use Rush alone with the Faleria so he can deadlock a boss like one of the upcoming bonus bosses, allowing the other unions to have more allies.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Couldn't you accomplish the same thing with a summon?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

Couldn't you accomplish the same thing with a summon?

Yes, but you only get commands to have a summon show up at the mercy of the RNG, it's not something you can control other than saving before each fight then reloading until a summon appears first turn.

I'm making progress on the next update. I've also started trying taking on the second-last bonus boss on my list, but as I said, I've never beaten this one before. I think that one will require sheer luck. Seven failed attempts so far. I only survived 5 turns twice, but that was not good enough.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 4, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As difficult as these extra bosses can be I do enjoy watching the fights unfold so thanks for the time you're putting in. JRPG plots I can give or take but the battle system in the most interesting thing here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, how are you limited in the number of blueprints that you can have? Are they, like, only available from treasure chests or something?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are crafting components and only limited amounts per playthrough exist for some of them. on the other hand, save editors exist for lr so gently caress that noise.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

Wait, how are you limited in the number of blueprints that you can have? Are they, like, only available from treasure chests or something?

Yep. Blueprint 1's for instance are only available from completing certain tasks for the Union of the Golden Chalice. Blueprint 2's are from Sword of Three Realms tasks, and Blueprint 3's are from Ring of the Labyrinth tasks.

Blueprint 4's though are theoretically infinite to get as Rare's drop them, including Bai Ze, who respawns.

While I showed off the Faleria Heart, I didn't actually craft it on the save file I'm using.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
YES! Ha ha! I beat the second-final bonus boss (The Lost), one which I was unable to take on before. Say, while you're waiting for the update coming later today, hopefully on a new page, does anyone want to take a guess at how many attempts it took me to beat him?

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Definitely got it in one.

Sick work dude

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

aww heck yeah
I'm sure it was third times the charm :c00l:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm guessing lucky number 13.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Get rekt superbosses

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
Two tries

I got this for the 360 years ago but only got about a quarter of the way though so its been nice to see the entire game.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Lucky number 7.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I'm going to guess... 9

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
To continue the trend of Prime Numbers, I'll guess 5.

crap, 9 isn't Prime

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Even number 12 tries guess here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
10,972. Exactly.