Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Shindragon posted:

:mario:Super Game Bros. Bargain Smash Melee:mario:

I dunno guys, I think Metal Gear might just blow everyone out. :v: (except Raiden who will most likely just cut in half)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shindragon94303

I would prefer Transistor instead considering I already own Saints Row.

Just wanna say, only Kratos thought to bring a cart to carry all the sweet Christmas loot he's gonna nab. Dude's gonna win on preparation alone, Metal Gear or no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

:mario: #1: Super Game Bros. Bargain Smash Melee :mario:

Meanwhile in Japan...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/astroduck

Grimrock II would be awesome if I somehow make 3rd place. I'd prefer 3rd over 2nd too.

Astroduck fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 5, 2014

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Kragger99 posted:

I was wondering if someone would post a long list of my name.
I'm not trying to be egotistical or anything, but I turn 40 in 2 weeks, and wanted to have a hidden contest where the 40th posting of it win. I spurred it on with the 3X Kragger post.
Anyway, you win this hidden contest!

PM me your Steam id.

Hooray, thank you for Prison Architect! I'm gonna go see if some of my dudes get shivved. :allears:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Wario thought he'd take Kirby along to suck up all those great deals (and steal lots of loot!), but it was a little bit too much for him to handle..

http://steamcommunity.com/id/nftyw

Grimrock II is a popular pick (it's mine too)!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Samus Aran's eyes darted over the holographic Heads Up Display built into her helmet. Built in sensors tracked their movement, obligingly pulling up energy consumption charts, damage read-outs, and her ammunition inventory. They all told her the same story; death was near.

He suit piped up a proximity warning moments before a grenade gently thumped against the metal store shelf the Hunter was taking shelter behind. She barely had enough time to roll clear before the explosion knocked the shelf over, raining dolls and plastic ponies everywhere. The suit recorded another 10% reduction in overall power as she scrambled for more cover, dodging bullets and fireballs as she went.

The Baby. I must complete my Mission. For the Baby.

Finding cover behind a mound made of boxes of plastic bricks, She switched her visor over to scan mode. Two targets were approaching, trying to make the most of having flushed her out of cover. One was wearing a powered armor suit similar in principle if not function to her own, carrying a over-large assault weapon. The other was wearing red overalls over a white shirt, and was somehow holding a fireball in each hand. She knew there were others out there too, currently engaged in trying to murder each other; a vicious dinosaur, a sword-wielding crossdresser, a boy with psychic and pyrokinetic abilities, and a small pink monster that seemed intent on devouring everyone to steal their powers.

She took a moment to scan further out, searching... there. Four aisles down was a Teddy Bear her HUD had marked as the mission objective. If she had her Space Jump ability, she could fly over everyone's head. If she had her Varia upgrade she could ignore the plumber's fire. If she had her Wave Beam she could shoot everyone through the walls.

But He hadn't authorized any of that. No, this was part of his game, a sick game they had played for years. He always made her do these things, and denied her any protection. He got off on her suffering. And maybe a small part of her did too. Maybe that was why she never left, never got help. No, she knew the real reason why; It was all for the Baby.

Baby's Cry. A Mother recognizes her Baby's Cry.

While she was distracted, the armored gunman and the plumber had made it to the pile she was hiding behind. After a brief discusion, they moved around opposite sides in an attempt to flank her, but Samus was ready. She fired her fully charged Power Beam into the plumber's face, who had just enough time for a strangled "Mama mia!" before his head was reduced to cinders. She spun to face the gunman, but it was too late. Deadly fire spat from his rifle, piercing her suit in a dozen places, hot shafts of pain shooting through her body. Her energy reserves hit zero and her suit froze up, sending her collapsing to the floor.

"WOO! WOO! TAKE THAT YOU NOOB! I GOTCHA BITCH! 420noscope!" He moved over to her body and started doing squats over her helmet. "HAHAHAHA!! OMG, I'M GONNA UPLOAD THIS TO YOUTUBE!"

Samus, slowly bleeding out in her suit, watched in a mixture of satisfaction and horror as, unbeknownst to the gunman, a massive pink blob was approaching him from behind. It slowly opened its cavernous maw, revealing row after row of razor sharp teeth, somehow spinning like saw blades. As she watched it began to inhale, and she felt her body start to slide across the concrete floor. The gunman was pulled off his feet and sucked in first, screaming in terror until he was ripped to shreds. Samus bled out in the moments before entering that hell, having time only for one last thought.

The Baby.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rickvoid/
If I win third, I'd like Grimlock II. If I make second, I'd rather a thrid place prize since I've got all the Saint's Row games. But I don't know why this would win anything Jesus Christ.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 5, 2014

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Contest #1 closes in approximately 6 hours, so get your last minute entries in! Winners will be chosen by Tuesday at the latest.

:mario: #2: HoliJam 2 Jam Harder :mario:

By request, we're bringing back the game making competition for the third year in a row. You've got the entire weekend and then some to make a holiday themed game, which can be a puzzle, an interactive story, a flash game (also here), or an adventure game. In case it helps anyone, there's a bundle type sale on Axis Game Factory, but I don't know anything about it. If you need help, you can probably find it in the Game Making Megathread.

Formats accepted: if it can be loosely considered a game and the judges can play it, we'll accept it (even a board game, but please build/draw/construct something for the game, don't just post text)

Deadline: Tuesday, December 9th 11:59pm PST (Wednesday, December 10th 7:59am GMT)

Prizes:
1st Prize: $100/€80 spending spree donated by Fart of Presto
2nd Prize: Telltale's A Game of Thrones donated by Sivek
3rd Prize: Your pick from the following list

Banner Saga
Driftmoon
Gauntlet
Grimrock II
Nekro
Saints Row 4
Shadowgate
Shadowrun Dragon Fall
Shadowrun Returns
Tesla Effect
Transistor

Thank you to Sandweed, Jordan7hm, Kragger99, Malek, and Nekoxid for the above prizes!

Your post should include: The title of this contest (including the marios), your contest entry, your steam id, and your pick from the third place prize list for if you win. If you'd prefer the third prize over the second, please indicate that as well.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

seorin posted:

I think I'm a bit late, but I'll put this down anyway.

Crouching amidst the burnt out cars on the parking lot, I kept a close eye on the raiders patrolling their newest prize. Despite being only loosely organised, they had somehow managed to close the building down pretty tight. "Might have to go in through the front" I thought, as I gripped the barrel of my worn, but reliable hunting rifle. Sure, I had a gatling laser and several plasma pistols stuffed somewhere in my leather jacket, but I'd just grown attached to the thing. The fact that there were also plenty of bullets to be found didn't hurt.

If I was going to take them all down, I had to be quick. I reached into my pocket, and grabbed an inhaler of Jet I keep handy. I hate the stuff and going cold turkey is hell, but it does give you one hell of a kick. My rifle in one hand, a switch blade in the other, I take a hit. I felt the burning go from my throat to my lungs, and an immediate jolt of in my whole body. It was go time.

I sprang up and began to run, trying to close up the distance between me and the raiders. A few quick shots from my rifle took down a couple of them, making the others scatter and confusing them. I got off a few more shots before diving behind a pile of shopping carts, just before the raiders began to shoot back, their bullets clinging off the steel frames and wiring. I could have sat back and pick them out one by one, but the Jet I took was peaking and there was no way I could stand still. Besides, there were only about ten raiders left, and they still had no clue I was alone. I rushed to one side, and headed for the first raider I saw, who had begun walking towards my position, crowbar in hand.

Then things became a blur. I remember gripping my switch blade, taking down raiders, for some reason there was a cow or a minotaur or something, and then I remember being really annoyed that someone shot me in the arm. But as the Jet began to wear off and my thoughts slow down, all of the raiders were dead. I took a deep breath, decided to sleep off the bullet wound later, and entered the building.

The place was a mess, but I knew the way. Ducking under fallen shelves, crisscrossing between piles of Furbies, broken down electronics, and discs of something called Bad Rats, I finally made it to my goal. The discount bins of pre-war games were still full, the great war managing to stop the hoard of shoppers that would have picked through these in a matter of hours. I only had to move a few titles around to find what I wanted. I dusted the cover off, and marveled at my prize, a copy of "7 Days to Die", with a 50% discount. Not that it mattered much, but somehow knowing I would have gotten it for less if there was still a working currency other than bottle caps made me feel better. I stuffed the case in my jacket and began to leave the store. This would help the people in the vault get their minds off the hellish nuclear wasteland outside and the decreasing amount of fresh water inside. Now if I could only find a Wii, I could get on with searching for a new water chip.

Just in case I win third place, I would like Banner Saga. I'd also prefer third over second. And in case this was late, never mind :)

Edit: http://steamcommunity.com/id/gabbygabe

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've been staring at that image for half an hour and I don't think I'm any closer to solving it than when I started.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I'm guessing the numbers mean Word-Letter, so the first would be "Apple"-A and the last could be "The Weakest Link"-I.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

narf

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lester Shy posted:

I've been staring at that image for half an hour and I don't think I'm any closer to solving it than when I started.

I first saw it at 5 AM when my kids woke up. It was not a welcome sight.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Ragequit posted:

I first saw it at 5 AM when my kids woke up. It was not a welcome sight.

A collage of Ragequit's day.

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

The squares clearly represent game characters. We've got Cloud, Link, Peach, Knuckles, the Pinky demon from Doom and the Frog is obviously Frogger. :v:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I've got a big jumble of letters and no idea what to do with them.

aba
Oct 2, 2013
Maybe this will help someone (it certainly hasn't helped me):

Civni/Rubens apple - no idea
Carolina wren - Songbird -> Bioshock?
Ridley Scott - Ridley -> Metroid Prime?
brass knuckles - Knuckles the Echidna -> Sonic the Hedgehog
umbrella frog - Frog -> Chrono Trigger ?
(woman) warrior angel - ? - (Bayonetta, DMC, Diablo, HoMaM, too many to list ...)
cloud - Cloud -> Final Fantasy
Minsk - Minsc -> Baldur's Gate
pit - Kid Icarus -> Kid Icarus?
phoenix - Marcus Phoenix - Gears of War? (second word doesn't have 3 letters. Can "of" be ignored in English?)
peach - Peach - Super Mario
slip - Slippy -> Star Fox?
Pinky - Pinky -> Doom
kanji - Kanji -> (Shin Megami Tensei: )Persona 4?
Sitting Bull - Bully -> Bully
link - Link -> The Legend of Zelda

Here is my very optimistic guess with numbers representing letter|word combination (I don't even know, why I'm posting this garbage here):

_ D D N E N A G R R A S O S B E

And I'm really interested in the solution, but it's getting late in here and my brain is not able to process this task.

edit: Songbird

aba fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 6, 2014

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
The warrior angel is art from Serra Angel from Magic: the Gathering, but I don't know what game that would link to.

The phoenix might be Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, not Gears of War.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Yeah, the angel is giving me the most trouble. But since I can't get the letters to look like anything that makes sense anyway, it doesn't really matter.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Question about the current contest: Could we make a game in Tabletop Simulator and then post it to the workshop, then post the workshop link here?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
If you mean to make a boardgame and then use that to create the board/pieces, I would accept that (though I am not the only judge). However, you should post screenshots of the board/pieces so that someone without tabletop simulator could supply their own pieces and play the game on an actual tabletop. Otherwise only one of the judges could even play it. :v:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

seorin posted:

If you mean to make a boardgame and then use that to create the board/pieces, I would accept that (though I am not the only judge). However, you should post screenshots of the board/pieces so that someone without tabletop simulator could supply their own pieces and play the game on an actual tabletop. Otherwise only one of the judges could even play it. :v:

Fair enough. Thank you.

vuorikissa
May 1, 2007

Since I've been staring at the puzzle for a few hours as well with nothing but a jumble of letters, here's some more guesses:

Apple = Malus from Castlevania?
Wren = Phantasy Star?
Pinky = Pac-Man?
Chief = Halo?

And that warrior angel to me is a Valkyrie, but that doesn't ring any bells as a character name either (Gauntlet?)

Maybe it helps somebody else ...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

aba posted:

phoenix - Marcus Phoenix - Gears of War? (second word doesn't have 3 letters. Can "of" be ignored in English?)
Pinky - Pinky -> Doom
I was thinking Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney) and Pinky (Pac-Man), but I'm honestly just very confused at this point.

EDIT: Maybe Angel de la Muerte from Saints Row 3 for the Angel? Bit of a stretch, but that's all I can think of.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

The valkyrie could be Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile, which would be the letter...e!

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

Maybe it's that stupid Valkyrie that carries you off to Valhalla when you die in Too Human???

I'm not even sure we're on the right track here guys...

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Downs Duck posted:

A collage of Ragequit's day.

That about sums it up. I tried to take a look at the puzzle earlier but one of my kids kept hopping around with a play tunnel around him. He shuffled along, completely blind to the world around him. He kept saying "I'm a worm!" until he crashed in to the Christmas tree and knocked it over. My concentration was sufficiently broken.

It was too funny for me to even be mad.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Ragequit posted:

That about sums it up. I tried to take a look at the puzzle earlier but one of my kids kept hopping around with a play tunnel around him. He shuffled along, completely blind to the world around him. He kept saying "I'm a worm!" until he crashed in to the Christmas tree and knocked it over. My concentration was sufficiently broken.

It was too funny for me to even be mad.

And only 18 more days until that special, special day for the kids! We got you covered, though: http://homecooking.about.com/od/beveragerecipes/r/blbev18.htm

"Be sure to check the notes if you plan on increasing the alcohol so you can make adjustments. You will want to keep this rich and creamy eggnog on hand all through the holidays".
:v:

pshea40
May 7, 2007

Based on the guesses posted by aba, Mad Jaqk and vuorikissa, the letters spell out "I'm Dangerous Candy", obviously a reference to .... Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory ? Yeah, sure go with that.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

pshea40 posted:

Based on the guesses posted by aba, Mad Jaqk and vuorikissa, the letters spell out "I'm Dangerous Candy", obviously a reference to .... Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory ? Yeah, sure go with that.

Candy Crush, maybe? It's about candy and approximately as addictive as heroin, judging by how often I hear about it, which would make it dangerous.

pshea40
May 7, 2007
Makes sense, but I was guessing a Steam game, and this seemed the closest.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I don't like the apple guesses so far. If it's specifically a Rubens apple, maybe somebody named Ruben? Google tells me that's the bad guy in The Evil Within's real name.

Alternate 60's Batman idea: "apple" in Japanese is "ringo," which obviously refers to Ringo Starr, so the game in question is clearly The Beatles: Rock Band.

Or maybe red just = Mario and we're overthinking everything.

Edit: I like Gauntlet best for the Valkyrie so far, since most of the obvious ones are directly related to the character's name, not who they are.

Princey fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 7, 2014

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Well, I didn't read the submission date on the first contest and spent the last few hours making this horrible .gif

Warning: It's huge and it looks like poo poo. It was going to be a video but I hosed up the audio.

http://i.imgur.com/hp0SQKM.gifv

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I looked at the puzzle and now have two pages of random video games/characters names in a notebook. I'm going to need a better Enigma machine for this.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Sivek posted:

I looked at the puzzle and now have two pages of random video games/characters names in a notebook. I'm going to need a better Enigma machine for this.

You need to rotate the sticks just so.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I feel like I'm really close, but I can't figure out all of the pictures so my anagram is too full of holes.

Here's what I have, partially based on other responses:

1: I really have no clue. The best I have is rubens apple -> Ruben Victoriano -> The Evil Within
2: bird -> Songbird -> Bioshock
3: Ridley Scott -> Ridley -> Metroid
4: brass knuckles -> Knuckles the Echidna -> Sonic the Hedgehog 3
5: frog -> Frog -> Chrono Trigger
6: valkyrie -> Valkyrie -> Gauntlet (could also maybe be Skyrim, since the picture seems to come from a Skyrim blog)
7: cloud -> Cloud Strife -> Final Fantasy VII
8: Minsk -> Minsc -> Baldur's Gate
9: pit -> Pit -> Kid Icarus
10: phoenix -> Phoenix Wright -> Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
11: peach -> Princess Peach -> Super Mario Bros.
12: slippery -> Slippy -> Star Fox 64
13: Pinky -> Pinky -> Pac-Man
14: kanji -> Kanji Tatsumi -> Persona 4 (or Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4)
15: chief -> Master Chief -> Halo
16: link -> Link -> The Legend of Zelda

Which would give us TKDNETAGRIASASHF, with a couple substitutions possible. That's enough to spell "FREAKING -something-"?

Oh, oh, "Thanks Gift -something-"

"Thanks dears, a gift!" ?

...probably not.

Now I'm going to bed, I'm sure someone will have it by the time I wake up.

Princey fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 7, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
"Thanks! Rad sea gift!" or "Rad sea gift, thanks!"

It's clearly Assassin's Creed: Black Flag.

Edit: If the D is out of place (who hasn't had that happen before?) then an even better one would be "Arr, sea gift! Thanks!"

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 7, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ragequit posted:

"Thanks! Rad sea gift!" or "Rad sea gift, thanks!"

It's clearly Assassin's Creed: Black Flag.
The Black part is a double hint. :tinfoil: Assassin's Creed: Black Flag - Freedom Cry :tinfoil:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

After 24 hours my best guess is "A Seafaring Shanty," which I'm pretty sure is not right, because I had to change one of the letters I was most sure about to make it fit.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Wait a minute, if Pinky is actually Doom as was suggested at first, we get "Thanks for -something-", which seems very much like the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuorikissa
May 1, 2007

Princey posted:

Wait a minute, if Pinky is actually Doom as was suggested at first, we get "Thanks for -something-", which seems very much like the right direction.
I had that idea earlier, but the best I got (IIRC) before I gave up again was "Thanks for reading" (if the R is from the apple somehow, and N from Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4). Or "Thanks for Disgaea" (with A for the apple and S from Persona). Neither really struck me as the correct one so I didn't post ...

Somebody solve this already so I can quit thinking about it!

vuorikissa fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 7, 2014

• Locked thread