Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
It is true that a negative cannot be disproved, an all-powerful, omniscient super being cannot be disproved.

However, each holy book contains tests that the deity it describes fails. The Bible says that God is perfect and omniscient yet he makes mistakes and becomes enraged. The Koran describes Mohammed as flying away on a "cloud of glory," which is nonsense. Each and every book provides, within its pages, a set of rational tests that the book itself disproves.

There maybe be some super powerful being out in the cosmos that the human intellect would qualify as a "god," but we as a species have yet to encounter it. My bet is on Sajuuk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ut7ecedG4&t=313s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Is there any evidence for God existing? The Vattican likes to trot out miracles and such but those get verified by ballot not by evidence. The Christian Bible is based on an amalgamation of regional myths such as Horus, the Greek pantheon, and other things mashed together. Is there a single deity that is provable? I'm asking this earnestly even though it's the Year Of our Lord 2014.

This old chestnut is still true in every regard:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
That all furries are not deathly allergic to peanuts or chlorine gas is a pretty solid proof that God does not exist.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
God as defined as the supernatural creature that authored the universe.

A super powerful thing somewhere in the cosmos isn't God, no different than I am God to a sugar ant. I'm just 86,000 bigger than it, doesn't mean I can fly or move through walls or create matter from nothing.

Each scripture of each religion has tests, each book has clearly defined feats or characteristics of God that the book itself disproves. "God is perfect and omniscient" says many of the books, yet God acts jealous, stupid, or ignorant.

It is that simple. God does not exist. I'm hardly the smartest person in the world, in fact I'm a lunkhead, a maroon, but the planet is populated by people that are orders of magnitude dumber than you or I could imagine.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

So you're a deist, because you're afraid of death?

You don't have a reason to believe other than "I really really want it to be true"?

You see how that's problematic, don't you?

That is one of the cornerstones of why religion exists. Ignore the lovely title of this, it's the Trucker's Chapel scene from Religulous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Oei7qM_tA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SedanChair posted:

For me "spirituality" has a connotation of playing fast and loose with the truth. At a certain point you wave your hands and say "the ineffable mystery!"

There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of a supernatural being that created the universe, luckily the celebrated definition of faith is to believe in something without good reason to do so. It is a test of faith that those who pass are lauded for.

What created the creator is itself never answered, "He just always was." That a supernatural being that never reproduces and has no equal whatsoever has a gender is itself a flight from rationality.

• Locked thread