Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

If we're going to go with classical arguments, let's go with Voltaire's response to the teleological argument:

quote:

... from this sole argument I cannot conclude anything further than that it is probable that an intelligent and superior being has skillfully prepared and fashioned the matter. I cannot conclude from that alone that this being has made matter out of nothing and that he is infinite in every sense.
That really hits at the problem with the teleological arguments. Even if we accept the need for a designer, it tells us nothing about that designer. Why should we call this designer "god"? On top of that, we have no way to bridge the gap between this designer and God at all, unless we work backwards using the Bible as proof.
That's the most charitable reading of the teleological argument. Hume goes further and asks what we mean when we say "designed". Can we imagine a universe that would not appear designed? If we can't, isn't the argument circular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I never get the whole "slam dunk" contradiction thing, since the Bible has a bunch of unreliable narrators. There is plenty of evidence within the text to make that clear, but the real smoking gun is that the holy Koran explicitly states this.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What is strange is the universe existing at all! But if we accept that there are an infinite number of universes, well, we can't multiply a very small probability by infinity, but we can say that multiplying increasingly large numbers approaching infinity by a very small probability asymptomatically approaches certainty. We don't have to go all Copenhagen here, but if we're going to do tired arguments we may as well play with that.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You guys have it backwards. 2+2=4 is arbitrary a.d what God wants us to believe. I get making GBS threads on the protestant concept of God but that is such a.limited, unimaginative position.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dahn posted:

Lets try this one.

Friendship is a kind of magic (1). Friendship exists (2). QED motherfucker. We don't need your god.

1). Conservapedia article on magic, author conservative.
2). Fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

We/he/she/I/it watch you. Andy will ban you soon for low content posting.

• Locked thread