Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Definitions for 'God', 'magic, and 'the laws of reality' are needed in order to give this fair treatment, but I think I have a few challenges without them:

-Point 1 doesn't hold if God is a being that is not 'all powerful', in a reality-breaking sense. i.e., a being that has extraordinary qualities or abilities, but still exists and functions according to 'the rules of reality'

- It is impossible, even for an all powerful God, to break 'the rules of reality'. e.g. No being, however powerful, could create a world where a thing exists and simultaneously doesn't exist.

-Magic, even if it granted the wielder unimaginable and absurd causal powers (e.g. snapping one's fingers and creating a galaxy), would not contradict or break the rules of reality. It would break (or merely complicate) the 'rules' of science - but science deals with causality and causality is not a law of reality.

A magical God then, would simply be an additional causal agent in the universe, albeit an unpredictable one. She could be as active as she wanted, but you could rest assured that 1 and 1 would still equal 2, all bachelors would remain unmarried, and any other formal proof would still hold.

So God is a black hole then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can the rest of the thread please continue to frame all theological discussion in the context of TNG?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Can Q create a plot so obnoxious even He can't abide it?

Yes, but he would Redeem it by the grace of being played by John de Lancie.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Belgian posted:

What? In for example electron / positron pair anihilations I have a mass of 2 m_e going in and a bunch of photons with 0 mass going out. It's not conserved.

Traditionally I believe that matter and energy are considered interchangeable for the purposes of conservation of mass.

• Locked thread