Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

Fact: when most of you are elderly, you will believe in God.

Yes it's called fear, do you love to be governed by it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Big Scary Owl posted:

I think there is an easy way to disprove the existence of God, at least the christian one, with a very simple argument: How come the creation of other planets are never discussed in the Bible? Why talk only about Earth, specifically? For all we know, there could be a similar planet to Earth out there that no one knew about before and with some form of life.

It would make christians pretty awkward if we ever found such a planet. Because it would be pretty weird for God to create two similar planets and not mention the other at all.

Look at you trying to find out about different planets. You'd better find Planet "I don't want to burn in hell."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's really not strange that the universe exists. Or I guess what we mean when we talk about strangeness is the universe existing with natural laws and Mickey's malt liquor and so forth. But there is a whole lot of stuff out there, so some of it had to be Mickey's. QED

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

WMain00 posted:

I'm also agnostic, but I believe that God is the Universe. The manifestation of life is the Universe attempting to understand itself.

That doesn't even mean anything bro

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

Hegel, bro.

Nah

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Go land in the Panamint Range and tell me how the earth is awesome for life :lol:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

markgreyam posted:

And when He returns (in about 4 billion years) then we'll all be returned to The Lord. By which I mean that the red giant that the sun becomes will consume us all.

I mean, Christianity subverted so much of the Druidic religion, and those drat hippie druids did a lot of nature worshiping that there were likely some overlap somewhere with solar worship.

The problem is that worshiping nature just didn’t suit the hubris of the time so it had to be adapted into the story of an actual person; the end result being that god made us “in his image”, because unfortunately the best that anyone could come up with for an all-powerful being was well, us, but all-powerful :effort:

I always find that the be the most humorous element of the most prevalent contemporary religions; that this was the best that they could come up with for the creator of the universe. Basically a human, but with universe creating powers. Design-by-committee at its finest. Hell at least the FSM is made of spaghetti.

All the rest of the stuff like christmas being the solstice and easter being the equinox was kept because it was more subversive to keep the existing dates and overwrite them with some human-related shenanigans but keep the symbolism. Also the effort thing.

It doesn't help that the vigor of an apocalyptic, world-denying church is bound to taper off as the centuries pass

"Yeah...he's not coming back." <---the secret, true belief of all priests

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ernest Hemingway posted:

You're thinking in terms of existence/non-existence and not in terms of necessary existence/contingent existence - your conception of the perfect cookie might include it's existence - but as Kant established, existence is not something that can be predicated onto something- i.e. regardless of what qualities A consists of, it either exists or it doesn't (You can have a real or imaginary A with qualities C,B,D - but you can't have an imaginary A that also exists ) this is why "The perfect (X) argument fails to address a more refined understanding of the ontological argument. When you imagine the perfect cookie existing, you don't imagine it necessarily existing - and you couldn't because cookies can't necessarily exist (i.e. there is at least one possible world where the cookie is not on the table).

Now, when we're talking about necessary/contingent existence the picture becomes difference. There is no possible world where 1+1 does not equal 2 and no possible world with a married bachelor in it. Likewise with God.

I don't say this really ever, but lay off the pot.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Spirituality and wonder are different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
For me "spirituality" has a connotation of playing fast and loose with the truth. At a certain point you wave your hands and say "the ineffable mystery!"

Science fetishists will do that, they're the sort who think that technology is going to sort everything out. There's no reason to believe everything will be sorted out; that's faith, and could be a kind of spirituality. If you say "I really like learning things it makes my brain feel neat," it would be cheapening the language to call that spirituality.

• Locked thread