Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I believe the universe is not out to get me, so therefore God isn't real.

Because if God was real, he'd realise what a threat I am with my MENTAL POWERS of smartness and cunning drunkardness and try and kill me.

But nobody is trying to kill me ergo gods not real its all cool yo. So I'm off to count angels on a pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Bro, I hate to break it to you, but God can just sit back and wait because he's already succeeded in trying to kill everybody by making them mortal. He's just murdering you through the slow process of cellular oxidation.

That just means I have to kill him first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0yVUaL9CWs

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ernest Hemingway posted:

God is an entirely perfect being. Necessary existence is a trait of an entirely perfect being.

Modal logic. It's pretty simple really - when describing something as necessary or possible (i.e. ascribing modal operators of N or P) - any string of Ns and/or Ps that precedes that thing is only equivalent to the last operator in the string, and vice versa.

So, saying that (G) is possible implies that (G) is necessarily possible. i.e. P(G)->NP(G).

Likewise, if it is possible for something to be necessary, it is necessary. i.e. PN(G)->N(G).

Saying that something is possibly possible, or necessarily necessary is just a long winded way of saying something is possible, or necessary: PP(G)->P(G), NN(G)->N(G)

...and just to drive the point home: NPPPNNP(G)-> P(G).

If you consider all possible worlds, and submit that God exists in at least one of these worlds PN(G), then it is implied that God must exist, since PN(G)->N(G).

If God exists in any possible world, then God must exist in all possible worlds.

Hoooold up there cowboy. Are you saying a contingent truth (this world) or a possible truth (other worlds) are all necessary truths?

Because that would break a lot of logic!

edit: Oh I see, S5. Huh. I'm going to need to scratch my head over that one a bit.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 12, 2014

• Locked thread