Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The argument in the OP is the teleological argument in support of the existence of God and the argument a little further down the page is the ontological argument in support of the existence of God and basically you all need to read a drat book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Gah, no, don't. Please don't.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
And that's the cosmological argument. Learning is fun.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

redstormpopcorn posted:

My (incredibly limited) understanding of the theories surrounding the Big Bang, and "time" being relative to distance and motion have indicated to me: the concepts of "before" and "first" may not really exist as typically considered when discussing an incalculably dense singularity containing (OR WAS IT?) the entire mass of the Universe.

The typical response to this critique of the cosmological argument is Brane theory, which no one actually understands so you're correct that God doesn't exist.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

VitalSigns posted:

There must be a God who is testing me with these homosexual urges, because if there's not then that would mean I'm gay and I can't be gay.

And which classic argument is this, smart guy? :colbert:

Argument from morality.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

VitalSigns posted:

God fucks up dangerous mortals all the time. Tower of Babel, yo. You're obviously just not as smart and threatening as some dudes building a pile of mud bricks.

Look elsewhere: Christianity gives you at best David vs Goliath but polytheistic religions preach man's ability to kill, gently caress, and become gods.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Blasphemous atheistic impiety? This guy's obviously treating atheism like a religion.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Yeah, I can see an argument being made for it but Hegel is probably best thought of as a Christian rather than a pantheist:

quote:

God is not an abstraction but a concrete God...God, considered in terms of his eternal Idea, has to generate the Son, has to distinguish himself from himself; he is the process of differentiating, namely, love and Spirit

He corresponded with and was influenced by Spinoza and it's possible he conflated Spirit with God enough to be considered one but ultimately I'd wager he'd prefer to be called a Christian.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Unless I'm missing something he's conflating necessary existence (i.e., anything that necessarily exists) with God, which still begs the question (even if you're only predicating God in this one way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

CommieGIR posted:

We can philosophy all we want, but it won't change reality.

This is so wrong it hurts.

• Locked thread