Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alkydere posted:

Are you going to go for the big bucks by guessing how? Auto-erotic asphyxiation? Overdose? Handgun?

Suicide after being turned gay by a juice box lining.

Or 1776 commencing again.

Or going super-saiyan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Oracle posted:

Is it Condi Rice? Its Condi Rice, right? *looks*

Oh Jesus Christ, why isn't he dead yet?

Relatedly, let's start a 2015 political dead pool.

Our government really has a distressing number of liches holding office, when you think about it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 235 days!

Between that headline photo and the one Joe posted earlier, I'm starting to think that Putin's recent misbehavior stems from jealousy over Obama's height advantage.

Can you imagine Dubya putting the smackdown like that on him body-language-wise? (No, he just let Putin stare into Cheney's soul in private and let the abyss found within that gaze do the work).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Alkydere posted:

Are you going to go for the big bucks by guessing how? Auto-erotic asphyxiation? Overdose? Handgun?

Suicide by cop after going on a three-state shooting spree once the definitive proof that he really is Bill Hicks comes to light.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alkydere posted:

False Flag.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
FYI, Fried Chicken, if you've already c/p'd my 114th Congress write-up, please note that I just added a few lines and a link about the likely FY2016 budget battle to the Fiscal Cliff and Social Security and Entitlements sections.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

:stare: It makes sense though, considering he's the only one left alive who practices that kind of diplomacy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Got it in one. "Lich" and "the only one left alive who practices that kind of diplomacy" were big clues. On a tangentially related note, I recently finished Joseph Stromberg's history of the Vietnam War and I found it really distasteful how right-wing and authoritarian and bad the South Vietnamese government was. That was worth defending?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

About drat time. If there's someone the Russians can understand their understanding of Russia, it's Dr. K.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

gradenko_2000 posted:

Got it in one. "Lich" and "the only one left alive who practices that kind of diplomacy" were big clues. On a tangentially related note, I recently finished Joseph Stromberg's history of the Vietnam War and I found it really distasteful how right-wing and authoritarian and bad the South Vietnamese government was. That was worth defending?
Not commies.

No, that was all it took to be given US support during the Cold War. You could be brutal, oppressive, practice apartheid, whatever. Not a commie? Here is the full support of the US government!

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Not commies.

No, that was all it took to be given US support during the Cold War. You could be brutal, oppressive, practice apartheid, whatever. Not a commie? Here is the full support of the US government!

I think that goes farther back than the Cold War, really. As long as you were friendly to US business interests (sorta what "not a commie" really meant) you were good, otherwise the Marines might be sent in to put in a government more favorable to the production of bananas/coffee/oil for US business profit.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Unironically can't wait until Kissinger is 6 feet under.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oracle posted:

Is it Condi Rice? Its Condi Rice, right? *looks*

Oh Jesus Christ, why isn't he dead yet?

Relatedly, let's start a 2015 political dead pool.

Kissinger hate is a little thick here, he didn't prevent Nixon from bombing some places but prevented Israel and the USSR from starting nuclear wars.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

hobbesmaster posted:

Kissinger hate is a little thick here

I mean, you give the order to kill from the air anything that moves on the ground and people start thinking you're some kind of :airquote: war criminal :airquote:

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Pervis posted:

I think that goes farther back than the Cold War, really. As long as you were friendly to US business interests (sorta what "not a commie" really meant) you were good, otherwise the Marines might be sent in to put in a government more favorable to the production of bananas/coffee/oil for US business profit.
As always, Tom Lehrer has relevant things to say.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

Oh, I'd be interested in where Rerum Novarum talks about that, because as far as I can see its much more general in its protection of workers rights. Well, its specific, but the things its specific in (maximum working hours, child labor, safety/environmental protections for dangerous jobs) are common/required practice today. It doesn't mention anything about tax policy as much as I can tell.

I don't think that the Pope should be talking about economic policy at all, honestly. That is the domain of government (and I hardly count Vatican City as a government) and the Church should gently caress off from it. That goes both ways too, I hate those assholes who deliberately tell people who to vote for in late September/early November and dare the feds to intervene. I hate the Climate Change talk because it is almost always done in a way that gives more burden on developed nations than developing ones. I want my country and its ideals to be successful more than basically anywhere else and global climate change action in the forms currently done would kill that flat out.

Jesus, a man famed for studiously avoiding the topics of economics and wealth inequality in his teachings

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Kissinger hate is a little thick here, he didn't prevent Nixon from bombing some places but prevented Israel and the USSR from starting nuclear wars.
'Didn't prevent Nixon from bombing some places' is a hell of an understatement for over a million dead. Also coups around the world which resulted in tens of thousands of more dead. East Timor alone was over a million dead. The man has enough blood on his hands to be knee-deep in it.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Cheekio posted:

Maybe Alex Jones. Wow, that would be a fun one to correctly predict. Yeah, I'm guessing Alex Jones will be found dead of apparently his own accord.

Clearly staged by the government because he knows too much

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oracle posted:

'Didn't prevent Nixon from bombing some places' is a hell of an understatement for over a million dead. Also coups around the world which resulted in tens of thousands of more dead. East Timor alone was over a million dead. The man has enough blood on his hands to be knee-deep in it.

And yet Nixon wanted to do more.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My top ten dead pool for 2015:

10. Cliven Bundy
9. George HW Bush
8. Sandra Day O'Connor
7. Ralph Hall
6. Dan Rather
5. Gloria Steinem
4. Noam Chomsky
3. Shimon Peres
2. Elizabeth II

And just because of the monkeywrench it'd put into 2016...
1. Hilary Clinton (aneurysm).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

And yet Nixon wanted to do more.

He was just trying to get Henry to think big, for Christ's sake!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Oracle posted:

My top ten dead pool for 2015:

10. Cliven Bundy

God I hope so.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Richard Shelby (R-AL) is pretty ancient, too. Isn't he almost 90? Granted, the Senate appears to extend people's lives unnaturally (see: Thurmond, Strom).

Ninja edit: Just looked it up, and he's a spry 80. He'll be around for a long while yet.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Franco Potente posted:

Richard Shelby (R-AL) is pretty ancient, too. Isn't he almost 90? Granted, the Senate appears to extend people's lives unnaturally (see: Thurmond, Strom).

I'm not convinced that Strom didn't pull a Brezhnev and remain in office for months, if not years, after actually dying.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

happyhippy posted:

The fight betwen Huckabee, Beck, Benny Hinn, Peter Popoff, Pat Robertson, and Haiburton to see who gets to be the next Pope will be amazing.

I read one of those as Benny Hill and that's way more entertaining.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

happyhippy posted:

The fight betwen Huckabee, Beck, Benny Hinn, Peter Popoff, Pat Robertson, and Haiburton to see who gets to be the next Pope will be amazing.

I don't think Mormons (Beck) care much if at all about the pope though?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

They care when the Pope is a progressive who insists people need to be nicer to gays and climate change really is man-made.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Alkydere posted:

Coroner will rule it self inflicted lizard man bites.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pervis posted:

It really went into effect as US policy during the Cold War. We really weren't doing that as much pre-WWII since the public was very isolationist after WWI, until Pearl Harbor.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

SedanChair posted:

Oh it's better than any gun.

I don't understand your custom title since you constantly state that you are white.
Whomever bought that title is a goddamn idiot.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yes, Kissinger was by far the most moral and creditable man among the group of "Kissinger and Nixon standing around in an office."

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Kissinger is one of my best customers and I wish him long life.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oracle posted:

8. Sandra Day O'Connor
Got to disagree with your pick for former Supreme Court justice. I think it's safe money she will outlive Stevens.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

Yes, Kissinger was by far the most moral and creditable man among the group of "Kissinger and Nixon standing around in an office."

Kissinger was only 0.3 Ollie Norths in terms of amorality.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

I mean, you give the order to kill from the air anything that moves on the ground and people start thinking you're some kind of :airquote: war criminal :airquote:

...but enough about hope and change we can believe in.

Dr. K understands Russia, and Putin understands this.

SedanChair posted:

Well, I'm not sure morality comes into this. If you're bringing morality into this discussion, I find Keenan and McNamera to be far more moral individuals than Dr. K.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nixon [internal monologue v/o]: Goddamn pigs. loving swine. They'll all see. Oh I'll show these bastards. Oh yes. They will rue the loving day. Every one of them.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He was just trying to get Henry to think big, for Christ's sake!

Hot pants.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

It really went into effect as US policy during the Cold War. We really weren't doing that as much pre-WWII since the public was very isolationist after WWI, until Pearl Harbor.

This isn't actually true. If anything before World War II and the Depression we were way more brazen about it, sending in troops to "restore order" and maintain import/export offices shockingly often. Maybe if you consider that that limited in scope to Latin America there was less of it but at the same time the rest of the world was mostly European colonies/spheres of influence so of course there wouldn't be American troops intervening in those places.

• Locked thread