Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Alright... although this is a podcast, I feel like it wont get the attention it deserves in the audio forum. I stumbled upon this podcast a few months ago and it's my go-to entertainment for the day as I work on a computer.

Essentially, it's a group of guys that review a "bad" movie. At a running time of at least one hour for each episode, they go into fun and hilarious details of the films while picking it apart and ultimately giving it a recommendation (or not). I can't really explain it any further. It's just something you have to listen to. I've laughed so hard at times I had to nearly walk away from my computer so my co-workers don't think I'm some sort of lunatic. As for a starter, try listening to this Rocky IV review:

https://ia701205.us.archive.org/16/items/Episode55-RockyIv/RockyIv.mp3

I should also mention that all of the episodes are FREE.

Here's a complete list of episodes (over 150 so far):

http://www.whmpodcast.com/p/episodes.html

They also update with a new review once a week! Give it a listen.

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There's a lot of podcasts out there about bad movies but these guys are one of the better ones. They seem to have bad movie taste similar to mine so I enjoy it a lot. I probably would have never discovered Tuff Turf if it weren't for them.

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
I listen to this podcast sometimes on my commute and agree it's one of the better ones out there. The guys aren't constantly jerking themselves off about being "in the business" or their personal lives, which is fine in some cases but can get very tiresome in other podcasts.

Their horror and sci-fi movie episodes are my favorites by far so I wish they'd do more. There's something about bad horror that I just love to listen to :allears:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'll agree they're the best at what they do. They strike the right balance of fans of movies to comedy to carry over jokes. The best episodes to jump into are, obviously, ones about movies you've already seen, but Mrs. Doubtfire, Dracula 2000, Hider in the House and Halloween 3 are all great jumping off points.

*CAT EYES*

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is the best movie podcast and I'll also recommend it. It's not a comedy podcast that's also tangentially about movies, and it's not a serious movie podcast that just happens to be funny sometimes. It's some regular dudes who know a lot about cinema hanging out and bullshitting about terrible movies. The sound of beer cans opening on mic makes an appearance sometimes. It avoids a lot of podcast pitfalls, like getting too far into tangents or terrible injokes, and is consistently entertaining. Just dive in and check it out, it's very approachable. I recommend their episodes about The Principal and Blame it on Rio.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Well, there is an omnibus bad movie podcast thread where it does get some love, but this may be a good place to talk about it on its own.

Can't add much more, as I'm not a fan - I'm not that into terrible movie analysis, at least not in the same way the guys on the show are, and I never got much out of the episodes I listened to aside from a few laughs.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Kangra posted:

Well, there is an omnibus bad movie podcast thread where it does get some love, but this may be a good place to talk about it on its own.

Can't add much more, as I'm not a fan - I'm not that into terrible movie analysis, at least not in the same way the guys on the show are, and I never got much out of the episodes I listened to aside from a few laughs.

Which episodes did you try listening to?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

This is my favorite running joke as I can't think of a scene that isn't immediately improved by it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

xzoto1 posted:

Which episodes did you try listening to?

Cliffhanger, The Butterfly Effect, and I think either The Net or Hackers. Giving Rocky IV a shot now, but it's just not my thing.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Kangra posted:

Cliffhanger, The Butterfly Effect, and I think either The Net or Hackers. Giving Rocky IV a shot now, but it's just not my thing.

I actually listeneded to those as well (except Cliffhanger) and wasn't a big fan of them. Post your thoughts on Rocky IV!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Rocky IV was better than the others. Kind of feel like I'm making GBS threads up the thread with criticism, and it's really a matter of me not liking their style than thinking it's bad in some way. I'm just not as interested in the movie as they seem to be.

The Paulie bit was pure gold, though: "He's going in the pond, Rock!"

Kangra fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 3, 2014

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Kangra posted:

Rocky IV was better than the others. Kind of feel like I'm making GBS threads up the thread with criticism, and it's really a matter of me not liking their style than thinking it's bad in some way. I'm just not as interested in the movie as they seem to be.

The Paulie bit was pure gold, though: "He's going in the pond, Rock!"

Haha no worries. To each their own.

I loved the Paulie bit with Leapy. Hilarious.

Smooch City
Dec 5, 2011
We Hate Movies is fucken' awesome, easily my favorite podcast. I've listened to every episode, I really don't know what it is about a bunch of guys sitting around drinking beers and reviewing bad movies but I loving love it.

They really don't take themselves or the reviews too seriously, it's great.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I actually prefer The Flophouse but these guys are pretty cool too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh awesome, I was just lamenting how I was out of How Did This Get Made episodes to listen to. These guys are solid.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

precision posted:

Oh awesome, I was just lamenting how I was out of How Did This Get Made episodes to listen to. These guys are solid.

I honestly think that WHM is overall better than HDTGM. Mostly because they take the time to breakdown the movies for those of use who haven't seen them. They also seem more focused and gel better, because they're a bunch of old friends getting together to talk about lovely movies.

I'm still mad at myself for missing their Chicago show a few months back.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

JT Smiley posted:

I honestly think that WHM is overall better than HDTGM. Mostly because they take the time to breakdown the movies for those of use who haven't seen them. They also seem more focused and gel better, because they're a bunch of old friends getting together to talk about lovely movies.

I'm still mad at myself for missing their Chicago show a few months back.

Both WHM and HDTGM did episodes on Easy Rider 2. The WHM episode was hilarious and I could follow the plot of the movie without having to see it myself. The HDTGM episode was an incoherent mess.

Sometimes this works with movies on HDTGM, but not so much with Easy Rider 2.

Best Christmas movie episode of WHM? Personally, I love One Magic Christmas with Nazi Santa and his enslaved army of the undead. I am looking forward to their episode on Jingle All the Way 2. Hey kewwwl, it's Christmas!

(Honorable mention for the first episode of Animation Damnation and the He-Man & She-Ra Christmas Special. Exasperated Skeletor is the best.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is a very funny podcast, and I normally don't like these kinds of podcasts. The Butterfly Effect episode is great, nobody gives that movie enough poo poo.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

exquisite tea posted:

This is a very funny podcast, and I normally don't like these kinds of podcasts. The Butterfly Effect episode is great, nobody gives that movie enough poo poo.

Part 3 is much much worse and ridiculous in some ways and goes in a direction movies rarely go...

The protagonist's sister was going through time killing all his girlfriends because she was in love him and no one else could have him and love him the way she did
:stare:

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I listen to a bunch of funny review podcasts but WHM is the one I'm always most jazzed about seeing an update. The guys have great chemistry and are more solid and thorough in their takedowns than most others. My personal favorites are the ones where they go crazy with impressions of Jesse Ventura or Wilford Brimley goddammut. I could listen to them do the "Skeletor Takes The Kids To ComicCon" bit from the He-Man Christmas Special for hours.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The fun thing is that it's not always takedowns. Some of my favorite episodes are ones that become We Love Movies like Hider in the House or Mortal Kombat.

Plus MK has the Shang Tsung's resort island rant and Chris Cabin getting murdered by Scorpion. In fact I always love when they hypothetically murder the cast member who is absent.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SilentChaz posted:

Both WHM and HDTGM did episodes on Easy Rider 2. The WHM episode was hilarious and I could follow the plot of the movie without having to see it myself. The HDTGM episode was an incoherent mess.

Sometimes this works with movies on HDTGM, but not so much with Easy Rider 2.

I felt the same way about HDTGM's take on LOL last week. I still have no Earthly idea what that movie is even about. I will say that the episode on Temptation is a must listen.

exquisite tea posted:

That might be my favorite episode of any podcast ever.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I guess I'll have to check this out because my problem with HDTGM the same - unless I saw the movie in question recently, I'd usually have no idea what the hell it's about and what they're making fun of. Sometimes things work out well enough (Monkey Shines) but as most movies are relatively obscure, I rarely find it enjoyable anymore.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Yeah if you want to get into this the best ones to start with are Hider in the House, Tuff Turf, Invisible Child, or Blame it on Rio. Any of their romantic comedies are solid too.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've only just started listening to these guys thanks to this thread, and I'm digging them and their impersonations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

SilentChaz posted:

I am looking forward to their episode on Jingle All the Way 2. Hey kewwwl, it's Christmas!
Why would you spoiler that, they've hyped it on the last three eps or so. They even got me to download the movie and now I need to get drunk enough to actually sit down and watch it before Tuesday.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Also make sure you checked out their bandcamp page for some extra shows like the animation damnation series.

Krang giving the Shredder a shotgun to kill the turtles is probably my favorite bit they have done.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Hider in the House is pretty stellar. One of the joys though is when they come across a movie that they legitimately enjoy. It happens from time to time where they think something is going to be crap and it turns out it was great. I think Hard Target ends up being like that. Tuff Turf is pretty fun as well.

I prefer over HDTGM because I feel like they overdo it. There's no real breaking anything down it's just OH MY GOD WHATS UP WITH THAT?, except really loudly.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
After watching this I'm really curious what kind of episode the guys will get out of it because the movie's so bland and inoffensive there's barely anything to talk about. Like, I think I counted one thing on my bingo card (he lives in a trailer) but there's no farting / drunk reindeer jokes (the closest thing to a gross-out joke is him threatening to fart on someone), Belushi appearances or whatever to be found. I didn't even think Larry was all that annoying in it.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 7, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DrVenkman posted:

I prefer over HDTGM because I feel like they overdo it. There's no real breaking anything down it's just OH MY GOD WHATS UP WITH THAT?, except really loudly.

Definitely. My introduction to HDTGM was the Punisher: Warzone episode where they had the director on and actually had a decent discussion, I tried listening to the rest of their show and it's just "HOLY poo poo THAT BAD THING WAS SO BAD! LISTEN TO ME DESCRIBE HOW BAD IT IS! WOW, SO BAD :buddy:"

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, our podcast Alcohollywood tries to achieve a weird balance between Filmspotting-esque SERIOUS DISCUSSION and WHM-esque jokeatizing, and I think we largely succeed.

(Also, welcome to the "CineD threads about podcasts" family.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, our podcast Alcohollywood tries to achieve a weird balance between Filmspotting-esque SERIOUS DISCUSSION and WHM-esque jokeatizing, and I think we largely succeed.

(Also, welcome to the "CineD threads about podcasts" family.)

I'll vouch that this is pretty good.

Anyway, my favorite WHM episode is Invisible Child, which is a terrible lifetime movie about a mentally ill woman and her disgusting enabler family.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The only bad thing about podcasts like this is you really need to watch the film in order to get anything out of them. I don't know if I want to sit through Jingle All the Way 2.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Yaws posted:

The only bad thing about podcasts like this is you really need to watch the film in order to get anything out of them. I don't know if I want to sit through Jingle All the Way 2.

This is kinda true of HDTGM, but not true of WHM or the Flophouse in my opinion.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yeah, I haven't seen the vast majority of the movies reviewed by WHM and I still get a laugh out of them. The aforementioned Invisible Child, Blame It on Rio and He-Man Christmas Special were all funny as hell with me staying far, far away from the source material.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Illinois Smith posted:

Why would you spoiler that, they've hyped it on the last three eps or so. They even got me to download the movie and now I need to get drunk enough to actually sit down and watch it before Tuesday.

Just erring on the side of caution. I know not everyone is up to date on WHM episodes, so I thought I'd play it safe. :shrug:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The episode on She's All That is average at best, but a certain event that happened shortly after they recorded it makes it an interesting listen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vakal posted:

The episode on She's All That is average at best, but a certain event that happened shortly after they recorded it makes it an interesting listen.

Elaborate.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The best episode of WHM to me is whichever Ewok movie has Wilford Brimley and their take on his abusive relationship with the creature he apparently lives with.

Though Blame It On Rio is pretty extraordinary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There's a segment in the episode about how terrible Paul Walker is in She's All That. But they decide that thanks to Fast and The Furious money we should not worry about Paul Walker. And a running line every time his character comes up is "Do NOT worry about Paul Walker."

We should have worried. :(