Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Dogeatdog posted:

I will always have a soft spot for YITB just because they share my love of Constantine (yes, the Keanu Reeves one). Peter Stormare is so good as the devil.

Literally the same reason I will always love them. Constantine rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Spawn episode of We Hate Movies has the most cringeworthy guest host, all he does is talk about action figures and parrot Simpsons quotes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sleeveless posted:

The Spawn episode of We Hate Movies has the most cringeworthy guest host, all he does is talk about action figures and parrot Simpsons quotes.

It involves Todd McFarlane, why wouldn't they talk about action figures?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sleeveless posted:

It's a movie that can only exist in the mid-90s which is when most of them were kids. It's called a "running gag" you see.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Today's WHM was just okay until they got to the jokes about the old man who evaluates pictures of turtles and Kiefer Sutherland, at which point it was the funniest thing I'd heard in months.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Today's WHM was just okay until they got to the jokes about the old man who evaluates pictures of turtles and Kiefer Sutherland, at which point it was the funniest thing I'd heard in months.

"Two words: Jackson Pollack." Agreed, that section was incredible.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
does Eric Movie make a reappearance?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The best part was the old man telling Kiefer Sutherland "Oooh you're a work of art!"

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

The Duke posted:

The best part was the old man telling Kiefer Sutherland "Oooh you're a work of art!"

Holy hell was that whole bit hilarious. The entire episode was "meh" up until the art segment.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah it wasn't the best episode, but then there's not a lot to pick apart in that movie. It's just sort of a generic thriller until the climax, which still isn't really that good. It's not a joke to say the most notable thing about it was the sex scene.

I did just listen to Best of the Best 2 again though, now that's a great episode. There's always a sort of glee about them when they find something they genuinely enjoy.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Holy poo poo, I couldn't stop laughing at the Seventh Son episode. The Jeff Bridges impersonation throughout the episode was perfect and once it got the rant about "loving witches" at the halfway point, I had to stop. Couldn't breathe at all.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah it wasn't the best episode, but then there's not a lot to pick apart in that movie. It's just sort of a generic thriller until the climax, which still isn't really that good. It's not a joke to say the most notable thing about it was the sex scene.

I did just listen to Best of the Best 2 again though, now that's a great episode. There's always a sort of glee about them when they find something they genuinely enjoy.

I loved that episode. I didn't find it particularly "funny" but it was highly entertaining to listen to. That's what I love about WHM. I can go into an episode of a movie I haven't seen and come out with the feeling that I just saw it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

halokiller posted:

Holy poo poo, I couldn't stop laughing at the Seventh Son episode. The Jeff Bridges impersonation throughout the episode was perfect and once it got the rant about "loving witches" at the halfway point, I had to stop. Couldn't breathe at all.

I loved their realization that their Jeff Bridges impersonation is also their Yukon Cornelius impersonation and their Bill Cosby impersonation.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

There's a new mailbag out! This one needs the same neon-on-bricks We Hate Movies Nights logo that they proposed for Blame it on Rio.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

There's a new mailbag out! This one needs the same neon-on-bricks We Hate Movies Nights logo that they proposed for Blame it on Rio.

Well, I'm horrified. If you haven't listened yet, no matter how bad you think the first two letters are, it gets so much worse.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

DoombatINC posted:

If you're not following WHM on your social network of choice you're missing out.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
One of the best episodes I never see enough people bring up is on "Wes Craven's New Nightmare." When Steve brings up how Johnny Depp was supposed to be in the movie but Wes Craven was too timid to ask him, everything shifts into overdrive. Culminating in Craven conjuring up the soul of a demon to act as Freddy Krueger, but unable to dial the phone for a conversation with a guy he worked with 10 years ago.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Scratchman Apoo posted:

One of the best episodes I never see enough people bring up is on "Wes Craven's New Nightmare." When Steve brings up how Johnny Depp was supposed to be in the movie but Wes Craven was too timid to ask him, everything shifts into overdrive. Culminating in Craven conjuring up the soul of a demon to act as Freddy Krueger, but unable to dial the phone for a conversation with a guy he worked with 10 years ago.

I genuinely like WC'sNN, but that part and everything about Craven in there is golden.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Holy poo poo some amazing poo poo is coming up.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Man, this is a really great podcast and much funnier than I expected. I like how they get right into the movies and there isn't twenty minutes of random banter in the beginning and end. I'm really surprised at how often they make me laugh my rear end off, and they even make shows about movies I have no real interest in great. Their Wilford Brimley "What? WHAT? WHAT?!?! WHAAAAAT?!?!?!" bit during Hard Target was amazing.

If you haven't given this show a chance, please do.

Edit: They also have pretty good taste in movies. Anyone who gives a positive review and recommendation to Silver Bullet is A-OK in my book!

Violator fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 4, 2015

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
The earlier episodes of WHM are so much better than the later ones. The quality really drops off around 150 or so where it seems like they are trying hard to be funny. Earlier episodes are way more vulgar and less restrained. The Ewoks battle of endor episode is great where they do Wilford Brimley non stop. They are probably trying to parlay this into mainstream careers or something.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

I liked how they used clever songs as intros and didn't give a poo poo.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I think they're still as good as ever. I figure they're at the point where they've probably burned through all the movies they know about which is why my favorite newer episodes are the listener requests or any other time where they ditch the 10 year rule to talk about movies they want to talk about or they branch out to new material like Animation Damnation.

The Duke posted:

I liked how they used clever songs as intros and didn't give a poo poo.

Sadly this happens to just about every podcast when they get big enough to have an actual audience and sponsors (RIP My Brother My Brother And Me's Abba soundtrack).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Thing is no one sponsors WHM though. Their claim they couldn't use music doesn't hold water. Don't you get like 30-60 seconds because they it just counts as a clip?

Anyway, they've had as many classic episodes since ep 150 as they had before it. Not every episode is a hit. Seventh Son was loving terrible, and you can tell when they flounder because they become reliant on just doing impressions.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DrVenkman posted:

Thing is no one sponsors WHM though. Their claim they couldn't use music doesn't hold water. Don't you get like 30-60 seconds because they it just counts as a clip?

Anyway, they've had as many classic episodes since ep 150 as they had before it. Not every episode is a hit. Seventh Son was loving terrible, and you can tell when they flounder because they become reliant on just doing impressions.

They just joined a podcast network, so there's probably change in the system as a result of that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

They just joined a podcast network, so there's probably change in the system as a result of that.

They have not used different opening music for a while now. They had a friends band create a theme and it has been since atleast Boondock Saints 2, as they mentioned using music from the band Boondock Saints they would get sued.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

Apparently it's a Libsyn thing. That website doesn't allow anything you don't have permission or rights to. Something like that.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

They started using the Hurrah A Bolt Of Light theme (which one hundred percent rocks) when they started putting their stuff on iTunes, probably just to nip any potential problems in the bud

Edit: ^^^ or that

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

DrVenkman posted:

I see your point about the episode, but the bit where they first make a deal about Jeff Bridges' voice makes me laugh my rear end off every time I listen to it. Something like, it's like hearing Yukon Cornelius with one of your speakers blown out. BRHBRHHRBRHHRBRHR. BRHRHRBR.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I think around the time they changed music Andrew also said something to the effect of, "Hey, I don't hear you volunteering to find the right music, so shut up."

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
When Andrew's appeared on other podcasts and has been asked about the change to the show's theme, he's explained that it was also time consuming to find a song that thematically fit the movie.

I miss finding out what song he'd found to go with each movie, but it's not a dealbreaker by any means.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Here's a fun challenge: see how long you can watch this scene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNKeFqMLWRs

"Do You Love Me" is right up there with "Good Lovin'" with being the most family-sitcom-y "rock" songs ever made.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I watched that movie many times as a kid. I thought the episode on it was pretty good. I should go back and try to watch it decades later.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

I watched that movie many times as a kid. I thought the episode on it was pretty good. I should go back and try to watch it decades later.

We watched teen wolf a few months ago. Even as a joke watch it's hard to make it through. I can't imagine TWTOO being better.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

We watched teen wolf a few months ago. Even as a joke watch it's hard to make it through. I can't imagine TWTOO being better.

The first one is only watchable because of Michael J Fox.

Wow. That thought made me wonder what Arrested Development would look like if he were the lead and not Jason Bateman.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I miss the music and the use of clips from the movies.

Chris Cabin has been funnier in recent episodes he's been in, I believe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

I miss the music and the use of clips from the movies.

Chris Cabin has been funnier in recent episodes he's been in, I believe.

They still use clips every now and then.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

The first one is only watchable because of Michael J Fox.

Wow. That thought made me wonder what Arrested Development would look like if he were the lead and not Jason Bateman.

He'd be like season three Tobias but instead of graph v host they could have a benefit for his parkinsons.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This is bordering on First World Problems, but I'm beginning to hate WHM's intro music. I tend to listen to podcasts as I go to sleep, and the tone of the first few notes hits my ear as purestrain Hey Wake Up.

Late edit: falling asleep to the podcast last night resulted in a really weird situation. As I drifted to sleep and that first phase of kinda-dreaming happened, my brain decided to twist whatever movie the trio were talking about into them commenting on the very dream I was having. A strong :wtc: sensation.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Speaking of their intros, I LOVE the one they use for their Halloween episodes.

Link: http://www.whmpodcast.com/2013/11/episode-129-post-halloween-bonus-scream.html

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 6, 2015