Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You guys don't get it. Snyder is a revolutionary and visionary director. Intentionally releasing a lovely version of a movie while promising the real, intended version of the movie later is the true mark of a creative genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Didn't watch it when it came out, but was pondering giving it a shot with the commentary. But it sounds like its still a hard skip?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Even Snyderheads barely have a defense other than “but the good version is coming!”

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

fishing with the fam posted:

Didn't watch it when it came out, but was pondering giving it a shot with the commentary. But it sounds like its still a hard skip?

Imagine an overly long Star Wars movie without whimsy, joy, or relatable characters.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Really thought Rebel Moon was the name of a Twilight spinoff until now.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Rebel Moon was so bad it made me want to give Star Wars another chance and those movies are awful

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i honestly thought it was a star wars side story. hopefully watching this tonight, cant wait for it to be terrible

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Don't watch it, even with the commentary. I did that the other night and the movie is painfully dull and bad. Don't make the same mistake I made.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Personally I think the guys do a good enough job of making the movie bearable, but it’s also not like a top-tier can’t miss commentary (other than Steve falling asleep multiple times)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Arson Daily posted:

i honestly thought it was a star wars side story. hopefully watching this tonight, cant wait for it to be terrible

Its his Star Wars pitch that Disney turned down or something

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

weekly font posted:

Its his Star Wars pitch that Disney turned down or something

The first minute is basically just him changing some names around in order to have a "totally original" space story that also has basically the same setup as the original trilogy.

There's also a shot at the beginning that looks EXACTLY like the old Toonami intro, I did a double take because I thought Tom was gonna introduce something better to watch.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

The first minute is basically just him changing some names around in order to have a "totally original" space story that also has basically the same setup as the original trilogy.

There's also a shot at the beginning that looks EXACTLY like the old Toonami intro, I did a double take because I thought Tom was gonna introduce something better to watch.

Zack Snyder's Sailor Moon would just be Sucker Punch :v:

:barf:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose Oquendo posted:

You guys don't get it. Snyder is a revolutionary and visionary director. Intentionally releasing a lovely version of a movie while promising the real, intended version of the movie later is the true mark of a creative genius.

Snyder's problem is that he needs someone else in charge of everything other than the directing, but hasn't had that since Man of Steel. He is absolutely not someone who should be a writer/director/producer. Dude is a serviceable to good collaborative artist who has somehow fallen into the AUTEUR path.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Imagine an overly long Star Wars movie without whimsy, joy, or relatable characters.

That's every Star Wars project since '83.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

im one hour twenty two minutes into rebel moonmentary and theres still like 52 more minutes to go. kill me now this is so tedious. the boys are doing their best and there are some laughs but why was this allowed to be made

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Because he brings in big numbers. I like some of his stuff but I agree he needs someone to reign in some of his more over the top tendencies. Kinda like some other guy that has good ideas but should not be left to is own devices, lookin at you George Lucas.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Rebel Moon was rough even with the commentary which was good.
The High and Mighty episode with the guys that dropped today was pretty fun though.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Watched a half an hour of Rollerball last night and woof, that movie stinks. Makes Basic look like high art in comparison.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Watched a half an hour of Rollerball last night and woof, that movie stinks. Makes Basic look like high art in comparison.

I like Basic. It's been forever since I watched it, but I remember loving it when it came out. An insane amount of twists, in a good way, and fun performances.

No idea if it holds up.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
I hope Chris Klein is doing ok. You don’t hear much from him these days.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oh god, that whole skit involving Orson Welles in night vision had me in tears. As did the surprise cameo from Raiden.

EDIT: LMAO just as I thought they missed the opportunity to do “Muaaaah, the French...in NIGHT VISION”, Eric says it.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 19, 2024

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Watching Rollerball now. The first half is garbage, but it turns hilarious when you get to the extended night vision sequence.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They didn't talk about the best part. :smith:

Unless I spaced out and missed it?

This is real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Dfi-b-qns

They talk about the dialog around here but not the sound effect. At one point I rented this movie on DVD specifically because a friend did not believe it was real.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 20, 2024

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

They didn't talk about the best part. :smith:

Unless I spaced out and missed it?

This is real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Dfi-b-qns

This bumped up the movie an entire star for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What the hell lmao

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Gleep glossary spoilers: the soundboard comes back briefly, and it’s use is perfect

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
"Oh well, boys. I seem to have passed away."

M. Emmet Walsh died. :(

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Good lord, he was only 88. I figured he’d have been in his early 100s.

RIPD. He’s so awesome in Blood Simple.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

orson wells and NIGHT. VISION. had me dying laughing in a very public place. all time bit

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That whole episode was fantastic really. The guys seemed to be having a great time making GBS threads on that movie which translates to a real entertaining listen.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Repeating myself, but find a way to watch at least the night vision scene. It just keeps going, then SPROING!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is that like that on the Amazon cut? I can't believe they wouldn't mention that if it was since they mentioned everything around that scene in detail so it's not like they weren't paying attention.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

explosivo posted:

Is that like that on the Amazon cut? I can't believe they wouldn't mention that if it was since they mentioned everything around that scene in detail so it's not like they weren't paying attention.

It must be. I refuse to believe there is more than one cut of Rollerball ‘02. The sproings are definitely in the version on the Roku channel.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

explosivo posted:

They always talk about having subtitles on like deaf old men. It would be hard to replicate that sound effect in subtitles.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

dang a beverly hills cop 2 reference in the new gleep glossary. thats a deep cut these days

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Hold on, M Emmet Walsh was from Vermont. Why does he sound like a cartoon bloodhound?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

mweber posted:

Hold on, M Emmet Walsh was from Vermont. Why does he sound like a cartoon bloodhound?

Just lucky.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mweber posted:

The deep new england accent can get that way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obZ7_c4BrDc

you know you got it when you can start quoting lines from the lottery and it sounds right

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just listened to the gleep glossary and well I'm going to have that stuck in my head for a week or more.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Probably my favorite meme in years. It helps that the jingle is so drat catchy it's always a delight to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They announced on OSL that April's theme is going to be Sheenpril. All Charlie Sheen movies.