Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

If you can gender swap a movie and it becomes a horror movie, that means it was always a horror movie but the filmmakers (and probably the viewer) was sexist into thinking are weaker and quirkier and non-threatening.

What if you gender swap a horror movie and it becomes a romantic comedy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there any reasonable way to listen to the old episodes beyond having to download them all from a google drive? I have Patreon and I was hoping they'd just be part of the Patreon feed but I guess they're not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like AJB a lot on her own merits but not as a guest since she has such a strong personality she basically dominates the podcast. Which is often funny as hell but I don't feel lends itself to a group format. Sort of the opposite of those guests who may as well not be there. I'll take her over them any day but still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like his voice. The D&D podcast he is on is frequently hilarious

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To properly take on Oppenheimer they should also do Barbie at the same time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

claw game handjob posted:

Good news, Eric is ignoring them in force again.

Huh. I think that is what is going to make me drop the Patreon. It genuinely is so unpleasant that I'd rather lose the extra shows then have to put up with any potential for funny jokes drowned by a fuckin' C-grade late night comedian bit.

Edit: I should note I already didn't really care about the Melrose 19021 stuff or 'we're watching modern shows' stuff so it isn't a "THEY RUINED ONE THING" thing, it just kinda made me realize there isn't enough to stay subbed for me.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 26, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

It was fun for a while but when it started pandering to an invisible crowd it was a little much. So basically as long as it was to dunk on Cabin it was fine.

To be fair this is true of most things in WHM. (Cabin is my favorite which is why him getting dunked on is the most funny.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

I don’t understand anyone who doesn’t care about Melr0210, I wish they did it every week

I've never watched either show and it's one of those situations where they talk about it as if the audience was watching along with them so it ends up kind of mush to me. This happens sometimes with the movie ones too but usually they feel like they have more structure. I'm not saying they are bad, just I get nothing from them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, it's alright, but far from my favorite show they do, and I think it's because I barely watched any 90210, and I've never watched any Melrose Place, so I have no reference to what they're saying. It's funny, but I can't listen quite as casually, if that makes sense. I have to pay more attention or I have no idea what they're even talking about. As where with The Nexus, I know who everyone is, and I've seen most episodes they're talking about, even if it's been over a decade, so I can listen while doing something else and have no problem following along.

Some main feed episodes where I haven't seen the movie I can follow along just fine (for example, I really need to watch Terminal Velocity, that episode was great). But others, I just kinda get lost as they're referencing what's happening in the movie, and I haven't seen it. Which is fine, that's how it goes. But Melr0210 is one I can take or leave for the same reason.

I'm glad other people love it, though.

I find for main feed stuff they tend to be the worst about slower stuff, especially WLM stuff, where they get super enthusiastic and jump from scene to scene, which is genuinely something I enjoy if I'm familiar with the film, but I was listening to some older stuff and they were better then about trying to provide a bit of context to things.

Still funny as poo poo more often than not, mind you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are some absolute bangers for live shows but a lot of them end up feeling really rushed (understandably) which sucks when it is for stuff I want to hear them talk about, and since the big ticket items tend to be saved for live shows (again, understandably) it's a bit sad if you're not in the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

explosivo posted:

I also have never really been a fan of live podcast recordings. Possibly because I've never heard one that was recorded in such a way that it was easy to hear without having audience laughter and chatter overtake the discussion. I'm sure they're a blast live but the taped sets turned into episodes for this or any other podcast are an automatic skip for me.

To be fair the Gleep Glossary has confirmed that will happen even to in-studio recordings!