Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, it's a random draw, so the more requests a movie gets, the more likely it is to get picked.

Oh. Well, maybe next year then. I went with Prince and Under the Cherry Moon.

When they do the WLM requests I'm gonna hit them with Phantom of the Paradise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

I could have sworn the guys had done an episode on the 1997 Matthieu and Lemmon joint, Out to Sea, but I went to double check and now I can't find it and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills cause I feel I can remember the ep down to the impressions :confused:

Anyway it was a family staple and I'm requesting it as a wildcard pick.

I think it was Grumpy Old Men. You may be confusing it with Going FIshin, which I think they also did and I can see mixing those up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I watched Fantasy Island since Andrew said you should really watch it before listening to the podcast. Holy poo poo that movie was hilarious. If only it was a comedy. That movie is straight up loving nuts.

It wasn't a comedy? I didn't see it but I assumed it was one of those yuck it up homages like 21 Jump Street or Starsky and Hutch. Did they really play it straight or were you being sarcastic?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Patreon is totally worth it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Plus I guess if you just wanted the archives and Patreon only eps, you could sign up, download and then cancel but I don't have an issue giving these 5 bucks a month for everything they've provided.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

clown shoes posted:

All the years I've listened to WHM, it has never gotten old. I've jettisoned so many other podcasts because they became so redundant. HDTGM and Blank Check come to mind. I still really miss Last Podcast on the Left but I won't support a podcast on a closed system.

Same. I even go back and do some reruns for some of my favorites or go back and find one after I've finally gotten around to seeing the movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

explosivo posted:

Is Melr0210 worth listening to if I've never seen a single episode of either show? I haven't seen most of the movies they talk about so I guess it's probably no different than that...

It is. I never watched either show but still got a huge kick out of it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So I guess the request lines close today . DO we know when they announce the results?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've never seen BH 90210 nor Melrose Place and thought it was some of the funniest poo poo they've ever done

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Reminder that the request month drawing is today at 5:30 pm EST on the WHM youtube.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Listener request month drawing is up live on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DBWFhr7N4

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So did any goons get their movie requests chosen?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't see anyone can watch Godfather 1 and 2 (3 was never made) and come away with the perception that being in the mob is anything but bad.

Christ, the whole saga is how Michael lost his whole entire family and that all the efforts his father made to keep him out of that life were for naught. The disappointment on Vito's face when he comes out of his coma is rather palpable. Micahel's mother further drives this home in the penultimate scene of the second film ("how can a man lose his family?") and then flashes back to him saying "I have my own plans for the future" during a family dinner in the concluding scene.

Even the first film has that montage of everyone getting killed while Michael is at church and the message there seems pretty clear I think.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Elderbean posted:

I always knew it was something dreadful that I should never revisit.

Much like John Leguizamo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I legit like Leguizamo. He has some good stuff. I watched the pest a lot when I was young. I remember liking it but kids are dumb.

Only thing I remembered liking that he was in was Summer of Sam. I'd forgotten about Moulin Rouge, have only seen it once and don't remember him in it. I do remember trying to watch some of his stand up and just hating it though.

First thing I saw him in was Spawn that may have colored my perception.

drat. Looking at IMDB and he's been in a lot of poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jesus Christ, The Pest.

I vaguely remember seeing ads for it way back and thinking it looked god awful even back then but their review made me go on a youtube hunt and...holy poo poo I can't even imagine how the guys even sat through this thing. The sad part is (and I think they mention it) is that I can think of more than one person in my life who would have died laughing at it and some of the YT comments bare this out.

Like that one couple in every screening that always cackles and loses it watching the trailers where The Babies Are Really Grown Ups, The (Insert Animal) Can Play Hockey, The Fat Ugly Person is Really Funny and That Foreigner Sure Does Talk Funny.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

It's still weird to me that their actual main website doesn't list all the episodes or stay up to date but I have to go to Art19.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Warriors of Virtue is pretty funny and I've never even so much as heard of this movie. Usually I don't care as much for the episodes doing movies I've never seen but The Pest and this one have been great.

Also, not for nothing, but I love the way Stephen cracks up and repeats the punch line that he's laughing at at the same time. Like someone says "cockdog" and he goes "co-hahah-ck-haha-do-hahahaha-oog? Oh, maannn..."

Hope I described that right.

I've found myself wanting to somehow incorporate that mannerism into situations where something strikes me as funny, just to give credit to the joke maker, but I think it just needs to just come natural.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

For poo poo i haven't seen and don't want to sink 2 hours, I've started to just look up a review on YT and it's really helping with my enjoyment. Just being able to visualize adds a lot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I was listening to the episode, and, after less than 20 minutes, decided I just had to actually watch the movie. It sounded too crazy to not watch first.

I have to say, so far, it has not disappointed.

Like, of course, I've heard of it. My dad always said it was awful. He took my mom to see it on their 3rd date, I think, and was worried she'd never speak to him again. (To be fair, it's a terrible early date movie. It's a miracle I exist.) But drat, this movie is loving nuts.

I've been finding myself watching 20 minute reviews of the ones I haven't seen. Made all the difference for Warriors of Virtue.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Exaclibur is...weird.

It's not good but it kind of is at the same time. It's pretty goofy and waaaay over the top but i'ts also really captivating and just wonderful to look at. I'm not sure why I like it so much and I can't think if another movie to really compare it to. Maybe it's how some people like Dune, Heavy Metal, Labyrinth, The Hunger or Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. The Dark Crystal.

Those are the best comparisons I can come up with and I sort of put them in the same category. Hope that somehow makes sense.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Peyote Panda posted:

I'd add Babycakes to the list of classics.

Good call.

I'd throw Russell Madness on the pile.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Escape From New York is gonna own:

1. It's great
2. I've seen it several times so I'll get all the jokes
3. There's tons of over the top poo poo, plot holes, camp and scenery chewing to make fun of
4. Did I mention it's loving great?

I don't give a gently caress about Mortal Kombat. The games or the movie(s).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Funny how much they poo poo on comic book and video game movies but when it’s The Simpsons they have a lot of love for they don’t talk nearly enough poo poo about it.

Huh. I thought they took a giant poo poo on it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rabbi Tupac posted:

This has been my request pick for awhile now. It's just a strange movie and I think the boys would have some fun with it.

This is a good one. Prophecy cracks me up at how somber and seriously it takes itself when it;s totally goofy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Angelica is great on the episodes she's in and fits in great while adding an entirely different personality that blends in seamlessly.

And I have a hard time getting on these guys for their ads and making a little money doing what they do. They've worked really hard for a long time doing this poo poo so it's tough for me to begrudge them for it and the hours of entertainment they've given me has probably cost me less than a single video game purchase. When you add up the paid subscribers and do the math, nobody's getting rich here and good on them for doing something they like, being great at it and not entirely coming off as sell outs.

It's not really their fault that the only way to monetize anything in this godforsaken system is by doing commercials and that almost every company in existence is a scam of some sort.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't see how being mad at WW84 counts as a strike against someone. Especially when it's loving funny.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

They're pretty nerdy. And they've been making fun of bad movies on the internet for like 12 years now

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What are some other good podcasts in a similar vein to this one?

I've listened to a few and some of them are OK but none as consistently funny as this one.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If this movie was on a streaming service I had, I would have watched it by now because it sounds amazing

If they're doing a movie I've never seen, I enjoy poking around for a YouTube review or something that gives me a visual and some audio to match up with it. For obvious reasons, I like the shows they do for stuff I've already seen the most. But...

Some of the poo poo they've riffed on that I never saw but made me laugh has led me to go look up material/reviews just to get more...'focused' on it I guess...and put some of the pieces together. Like, I watched James Spader's entire video of "We Walk the Night" from Tuff Turf, a mash up of "Cyber Seduction", highlights of "Over the Top" and a review of that kangaroo "Warriors of Virtue" movie just to wrap my head entirely around things and it increases my enjoyment. "Sabotage" made me laugh so I went and watched the "what the gently caress you loving gently caress dick gently caress face fucker" highlight reel and was not disappointed.

Then I'll usually go do a re-listen for those episodes with all that poo poo now planted deep in my head and it'll not only feel like a fresher experience but makes it even funnier. If they're doing something I know (typically a WLM or a really well known film), it's easier to be all in right away but some of this poo poo needs to be seen to be believed.

Like, they made me go look at a clip of Wilfred Brimley on wild horseback chasing down John Claude Van Damme with a bow and arrow behind a wall of explosions and a curtain of fire.

So put a price on that.

TL/DR: It's a visual medium but an audio show so I suggest putting in some prep work prior to an episode you know nothing about just to whet your appetite.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 29, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Calaveron posted:

The one time I decided to watch something in preparation for an episode(s) it was for Beverly Hills 90210.
Never again.

On the other hand last summer I spent a lot of time watching a lot of movies that made for classic episodes like Hard Target, Perfect Strangers and Hard to Kill and let me tell you that was an incredibly good time so my opinion is that watching a movie after an episode is a better idea.

Yeah I agree and I have to be in the right mood to watch 90-120 minutes of something totally horrible but usually a y/t mashup gives me a general idea and some visuals to match up with the episode that helps me enjoy it more.

Since you mentioned 90210/Melrose, which I've never seen a second of, I poked around for some highlights and was surprised to learn that Billy doesn't sound anything at all like the impression they do of him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

It actually makes it funnier.

Only think I know about those 2 shows is from WHM

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm just bummed they moved the Melrose210 stuff to the higher tier Patreon. Maybe I need to upgrade but right now every dollar feels precious and there are TONS of podcasts out there competing for my attention.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Momento is fantastic. I didn't know that was up for debate or that there was some Nolan backlash regarding it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I've been noticing a trend with WHM over the last few years that the riffing and improv tangents (especially about very tangentially movie-related topics) has been taking up more time than the discussion of the movie itself.

I feel like with the older episodes they were pretty narratively driven and I could follow along even if I hadn't seen the movie they were discussing and come away with a pretty clear understanding of the plot points. I don't really feel like that so much lately.

I've found myself usually watching a 10 or 15 minute Youtube review of whatever movie they're doing (if I haven't seen it). It helps with the visualization and stuff. Biggest thing I miss from the (very) early episodes are the drops and I'm not sure why they stopped using them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Ghostbusters episode was pretty great and it's fun to hear their love for it come out so sincerely. I need to break that one out. Was going to watch it for Halloween with my son but we went with The Sixth Sense instead. Haven't seen that movie in probably 15 years so I think it's time and perfect for a 10 year old.

And I still loving love Steve's tendency to laugh out loud at something while repeating the punch line.

Like: (Laughing) " rep-eee-eatting... the punch liii-neee...Ohhhhh, maaan..."

I've been wanting to incorporate it into my day to day but I think it's just a natural form of expression he has.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 7, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

People were (for some reason) wondering why anyone would download episodes so figured I'd weigh in

- The older archived Google Drive episodes always freeze part way thru (usually multiple times) if you stream them
- There ARE times when you have no internet, a lovely phone connection or might work in a place that locks you out of their wifi and may be on a plan with limited data usage if you're trying to save money (like me) so being able to cue up some episodes can save your sanity, depending on what kind of job you have.
- If you live in parts of middle america, believe it or not, high speed internet can still be extremely sketchy and unreliable.

Just sayin

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

No worries. Just seemed like a weird thing for someone to wonder "why would anyone EVER?" and I was right there with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I like most of the live shows :shrug: I just like these guys' sense of humor in general and find them sharp.

Audience feedback can add an element that them laughing at each other's jokes can't always do