Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
poo poo, the Wicker Man ep is coming up. I should probably finely get around to watching it. I've been meaning to forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The Nick Nolte impression bugs me because all I hear is Sam Kinison.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
When I hear someone else say wow I do the Owen Wilson wow in reaponse.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I gotta a chuckle out of Stephen having to campaign for that bit before anyone would riff on it.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Wow, I completely confused A Sound of Thunder with Days of Thunder. I would much rather hate watch the former, thankfully.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Usually don't rewatch movies being talked about, but I think I'll make an exception for the The Thing.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I definitely have a soft spot for some the ludicrous set pieces in the second one (like the fight on the water wheel). The rest are trash though. Can't wait!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
If you don't like the first one, you will be tearing your hair out by the third.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Dipped into the back catalog while bored the other day, and their impressions have gotten significantly better. Old Herzog vs new Herzog is night and day.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Oh poo poo, the Catsmentary is up. Was planning on watching Portrait of a Lady on Fire tonight, but I really want to watch this bad movie. Looks like its weird double feature time.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
loving hell. The commentary barely made this tolerable. I spent the entire back half just wanting it to end. Bad bad bad.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Yeah, the Indy/Marion thing is definitely cringy. Based on their earlier talks though, it could have been much, much worse.

quote:

Lawrence Kasdan: I like it if they already had a relationship at one point. Because then you don't have to build it.

George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

Kasdan: And he was forty-two.

Lucas: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.

Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

Lucas: He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve.

Lucas: It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

Spielberg: And promiscuous. She came onto him.

Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...

Spielberg: She has pictures of him.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I wish they had spent a couple more minutes on temple of doom at the end of the episode. I did a rewatch of the trilogy a couple months ago and turned temple off halfway through. One of those "I'll finish it another time" sort of situations where another time never seemed to happen. It was much worse than I remember. I'm curious how other people who hadn't seen it since childhood reacted to a rewatch.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Is it a WHM or a WLM?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The CYA live event was pretty entertaining, but goddamn do movies need subtitles when doing a commentary.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Arson Daily posted:

my wife is gone out with friends and I'm sober for the month of November. What better way to kill time than to do the Catsmentary. Wish me luck

My condolences on your broken sobriety.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
They are almost always ~2 minutes, so 4 quick presses of skip forward gets me there pretty much everytime. Thank you WHM crew for the consistency where so many others fail.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I too am rewatching Returns before listening. Holy poo poo this thing is even more Burtony than I remember.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Yeah, WLM just doesn't land for me in the same way as WHM. Especially if it's a movie that means a lot to me. For example, it really bugged me how often during the Fury Road episode Jupin in particular was getting the order of events incorrect or just flat out getting things wrong.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 29, 2020

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
That's kind of a strange take. Sure, the discourse might not be quite as loud and widespread, but you would absolutely be seeing a lot of the same criticisms. This is still a big super hero tent pole filled with weird and bad poo poo.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
This film definitely is not as forgettable as you're claiming. Sure, it's dull and poorly paced, but it's memorable in the ways it is bad. I couldn't stop thinking about it for days after I watched it. It's been a while since a movie I didn't like stuck in my craw quite the way this did.

Also, you don't see the moral implications of taking over someone's body and loving in it?

Edit: This thread really isn't the place for this, so I'm just gonna shut the gently caress up.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 4, 2021

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Commandomentary good. Might be their best.
Catsmentary bad because watching cats was a miserable experience.

I think the commentaries where one person hasn't seen the movie before are the best. Sadjak's reactions during Commando rule.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Its a pretty good ep, but 3 hours is overkill.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Through the extra 2 bucks at this as soon as I saw the Snyder Cut was at the next tier up. Shrewd move, assholes.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Just watched/listened to Enter the Ninja and it absolutely ruled. Might be my favorite commentary yet. This is the kind of schlock this format was meant for.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Bought and watched the Last Blood live show. First time for one of these, and I didn't really care for it. I'm so used to being able to move around and do stuff while a podcast is on, and it was weird to just sit there and watch them just.....talk. The visual element really added nothing. Won't be doing this again.

As bad as You Only Live Twice was, it is crazy how big its cultural footprint is. It was fun seeing where the man eating piranha pond and volcano lair came from. The Simpsons, Austin Powers, The Incredibles, and others. The score is so The Incredibles it was weirding me out.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Couldn’t find the unrated version to stream, so I just said gently caress it and watched the theatrical cut. Real pain in the rear end trying to pause-play-pause-play to try keep it as synced as possible. Wouldn’t recommend.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
But in all seriousness, the egg with a face was deeply unsettling.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I don't know if quarantine has made them irrevocably horny, but the lads have really been vocally pissy about not seeing enough loving in modern movies the last year or so.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I didn’t realize it at first, but he is that dude from the Kill Count videos on youtube. His voice and demeanor are very offputting.

Edit: I watched that channel’s kill count prior to the Halloween H20 episode. It’s been so long, I wanted a refresher without watching the whole movie. And the kill count video is somehow still nearly 20 drat minutes long.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 29, 2021

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
We’ve had a Spooktwocular, so a We Love Twovies would be a nice addition.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

clown shoes posted:

The Spider-Man episode was excellent but I felt the Alien episode was kinda meh.

Completely agree with this. I just feel like movies of the Alien/Casablanca/Citizen Kane/Goodfellas variety don't provide enough material to really make the show shine. While Spider-Man is a good movie, it also has flaws that make for better riffs and digressions. If they kept the WLMs to entertaining schlock I would be very happy.

But this is obviously a taste thing, and I'm sure others would disagree.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

The Deleter posted:

Man, the new Space Jam episode made me mad. At least the original has some charm in it's badness - this new one sounds soulless.

It really is. The insane amount of IP poo poo being dumped in your eyeballs for 2/3s of the movie is insufferable. There are actually some good looney tunes gags buried under the morass of WB properties, but nothing can overcome the sheer weight of HEY YOU RECOGNIZE THIS.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
gently caress, I completely forgot about Rick & Morty showing up. Christ this movie is insufferable.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I've come around to liking Reloaded more on rewatches. But somehow my opinion of Revolutions has dropped further. God drat is Zion and everyone living there boring.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Oh come on now. It’s not even the worst they’ve done this month!

Space Jam is.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Infinite is the best movie of their worst of 2021 month. Which is certainly something.

Throw Chiwetel into Eternals and maybe that changes.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

B-Rock452 posted:

Blown Away is going to be a great episode, if you haven't seen it just go watch it now.

After Ricochet, I am very excited to return to the land of 90s thrillers.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Okay, I'm not crazy, right? They have used the term "the hammer" to refer to the actor who gets the AND in the billing multiple times in the past? Because Jupin's confusion at that in the Big Bully episode has me questioning myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Currently watching Delta Farce in advance of listening. Good god this is incomprehensibly bad. This is the longest 90 minute movie I’ve ever seen.