Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Definitely. Even when it's a movie I've never seen and don't really care about it's fun just because of how off-the-wall the improv can get, like in the Pallbearer episode where they invent a narrative of David Schwimmer having a talking anthropomorphic raincloud as a best friend. Or the Addicted to Love episode where they do an extended imitation of Matthew Broderick describing his ideal sexual encounter that culminates in the phrase "sex so gentle and quiet that if you had it on a boat in the middle of a lake it wouldn't make a single ripple".

People on the fence about WHM should listen to the Addicted To Love episode. Their disdain for Matthew Broderick is off the chart. It's loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
I know fairly recently someone posted a link to a stream only of WHM's treatment of the Star Wars Holiday Special. I can't seem to find it now, does anyone have it?

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

Thank you very much. It was the bandcamp page, now I remember.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
Tuff Turf is a must listen

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
Has anyone else noticed a change in audio levels in the last few episodes? i think they may have mentioned they were in the Headgum studios in the most recent mailbag. Anyway, I can barely hear them and I find it very frustrating. Have they changed the recording/mastering process and has anyone else noticed a change? The other podcasts I listen to seem the same, but only WHM is lower. It's very frustrating.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
I'm going to the NYC show. It will be my first time seeing them live. I'm glad they're finally going to be in Manhattan, it is much easier for me to get to than Brooklyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

BlameSpacePod posted:

Hi,

Wanted to drop in and let you know some of the thought process here.

A reason we moved mailbags to YouTube is that very few people every downloaded those episodes as audio. Same thing with the On Screen episodes. We receive like maybe a 10th of the download numbers a main episode does. The drop off is like a cliff. So we thought only die hard fans listen to the mailbags, they might enjoy seeing us and making it more of a fan/creator shared experience.

We are not yet sure what we're doing with it but part of making it video only is to get people AWARE we have a YouTube channel. We're going to play with more visual elements going forward, I promise. I also am not sure an On Screen is the best introduction to the show for random people downloading off the main feed too. It just isn't exactly what WHM is, so it's odd for someone to download WHM and hear us gush about a movie instead of "hate" it.

We thought doing Mailbag and OS as video might be a better option than not doing them at all.

We also thought we're coming up 10 years doing this show and it's kinda fun and different to try something new. So a decision there is kinda selfish because we just want to do something different. We want to experiment, have fun in a different way, and see what shakes out. It kinda gets old just doing the same thing forever. I'm open to ideas if you think there's something better we could be doing than YouTube.

We have gotten a ton of positive reaction from fans overseas who resigned to never being able to see a live show, etc, etc.

Eric

Hey Eric,

Thanks for chiming in here. I really appreciate what you guys do. I guess I would count myself as a die-hard fan, it never occurred to me that people wouldn't download and listen to the mailbag as much as a main episode. I always look forward to the monthly mailbags and it is a serious bummer to not have an audio version on the main feed. I would like you guys to consider putting an audio version of the video mailbag on the main audio feed for those of us who can't view it.

Looking forward to the show in NYC, I already have my ticket.

Septic Knothead fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 27, 2019