Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Alright... although this is a podcast, I feel like it wont get the attention it deserves in the audio forum. I stumbled upon this podcast a few months ago and it's my go-to entertainment for the day as I work on a computer.

Essentially, it's a group of guys that review a "bad" movie. At a running time of at least one hour for each episode, they go into fun and hilarious details of the films while picking it apart and ultimately giving it a recommendation (or not). I can't really explain it any further. It's just something you have to listen to. I've laughed so hard at times I had to nearly walk away from my computer so my co-workers don't think I'm some sort of lunatic. As for a starter, try listening to this Rocky IV review:

https://ia701205.us.archive.org/16/items/Episode55-RockyIv/RockyIv.mp3

I should also mention that all of the episodes are FREE.

Here's a complete list of episodes (over 150 so far):

http://www.whmpodcast.com/p/episodes.html

They also update with a new review once a week! Give it a listen.

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Kangra posted:

Well, there is an omnibus bad movie podcast thread where it does get some love, but this may be a good place to talk about it on its own.

Can't add much more, as I'm not a fan - I'm not that into terrible movie analysis, at least not in the same way the guys on the show are, and I never got much out of the episodes I listened to aside from a few laughs.

Which episodes did you try listening to?

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Kangra posted:

Cliffhanger, The Butterfly Effect, and I think either The Net or Hackers. Giving Rocky IV a shot now, but it's just not my thing.

I actually listeneded to those as well (except Cliffhanger) and wasn't a big fan of them. Post your thoughts on Rocky IV!

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Kangra posted:

Rocky IV was better than the others. Kind of feel like I'm making GBS threads up the thread with criticism, and it's really a matter of me not liking their style than thinking it's bad in some way. I'm just not as interested in the movie as they seem to be.

The Paulie bit was pure gold, though: "He's going in the pond, Rock!"

Haha no worries. To each their own.

I loved the Paulie bit with Leapy. Hilarious.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

The funniest impersonation of a "celebrity" is the one with Louie Anderson in The Day After Tomorrow episode. It had me in tears.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Was that the one in which he remade classic tv starring himself?

"My favorite movie I've done so far is Blue is the Warmest Colour. It's me playing two lesbian teenagers."

"Welcome to Late Night with Louie Anderson. And now... Last Call with Louie Anderson!"

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 15, 2014

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Actually, they occasionally have a guest named Justin Case on, who is an expert in disaster movies. He's the only one I can think of, though.

Also, I just don't get how people can have trouble telling them apart. They all have rather distinctive voices. Maybe it would take a while to match each voice with a name, but not knowing if there are 2, 3, or 4 of them on doesn't make any sense to me. Usually it's 3, big episodes have all 4 of them.

Now, the podcast I have with my brothers, I can see having a hard time telling us apart.

I find it odd as well. For me, I could tell who was who within the first few minutes of listening to them for the first time.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't know, I still sometimes confuse Cabin and Jupin. It doesn't really make any sense, but whatever. Also people have this problem with basically every podcast, it's kinda crazy.

But if you can't tell which one is Sajdak you best get cleaning those ears out.

I can tell when Cabin is talking because it hurts my god drat ears. He yells too much. I can't remember the exact episode, but I turned it off because his yelling was just too much to handle.

Tender Bender posted:

I actually think Andrew's pretty unfunny, but I love Eric and Steve. Chris is pretty good too.

Yeah, Andrew isn't particularly funny but I feel like he's the "host" of the show and keeps everything on track and really delves into the details. Eric and Steven of course add most (if not all) of the humor on the points he makes and then Cabin comes in and yells things.

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 30, 2014

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Vedius Pollio posted:

My absolute favorite WHM story is from the S.W.A.T. episode where Erik talks about threatening to beat up an old couple who complained about him eating popcorn. It's just so hilariously out of character and goes completely out of control as he attempts to improvise.

Yet to listen to this one. Sounds funny. It will be next on my list.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

I don't want to derail my own thread, but a few people mentioned The Flophouse and I've listened to over a dozen episodes so far. I actually listen to it on my way to work. While funny, they never really delve into the plot. I feel like I need to see the movie prior to listening. The problem with that is the fact that I have to watch lovely movies. WHM elaborates on the plot to the point that after listening to an episode I feel like I actually watched the movie.

Also, The Flophouse should be called "The Elliot Kalan Show".

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 8, 2015

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Synnr posted:

The point has been brought up repeatedly that its a comedy podcast that is just buds bullshitting about a movie, not a movie podcast that happens to include comedy. You aren't alone, because they bring it up whenever they start getting a bunch of emails about it, but its just a weird thing to me. I mean, do you really need to watch Foodfight to laugh at a tin-tin joke or nazi/furry jokes?

I guess I can understand the Elliott Kalan thing since he generally does the comedy synopsis. Its kind of how I think Jason Mantzoukas seems like a cool enough dude outside of when hes performing (like on HDTGM or whatever that tv show about fantasy football is) but on there he and whoever the other guy are just come off obnoxious.

I figure I'll give these fellows a couple shots, what would you all recommend? Are they all really 1 1/1 hours?

That's understandable. I just find that if I've seen the movie I can relate better to the jokes.

As for WHM, start off with Rocky IV. And yes, they are generally around the 1.5 hour mark.

Also, this weeks episode of Sabotage is absolutely hilarious.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

The Duke posted:

The best part was the old man telling Kiefer Sutherland "Oooh you're a work of art!"

Holy hell was that whole bit hilarious. The entire episode was "meh" up until the art segment.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah it wasn't the best episode, but then there's not a lot to pick apart in that movie. It's just sort of a generic thriller until the climax, which still isn't really that good. It's not a joke to say the most notable thing about it was the sex scene.

I did just listen to Best of the Best 2 again though, now that's a great episode. There's always a sort of glee about them when they find something they genuinely enjoy.

I loved that episode. I didn't find it particularly "funny" but it was highly entertaining to listen to. That's what I love about WHM. I can go into an episode of a movie I haven't seen and come out with the feeling that I just saw it.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Speaking of their intros, I LOVE the one they use for their Halloween episodes.

Link: http://www.whmpodcast.com/2013/11/episode-129-post-halloween-bonus-scream.html

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 6, 2015

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

BlameSpacePod posted:

"They" of course means 1 person on the show while Chris and I both defended Looper on the air.

Regarding Bogus Journey, and DragonHeart, and every movie you love: sometimes we enjoy watching movies that aren't Nukie-level and I think we're able to mine it for jokes a lot easier producing all in all a better podcast. I think some of the the best episodes often come out of "middle of the road" movies. We've also gone on to recommend movies we do on the show, which I think Bogus Journey would definitely get.

I'm really starting to feel that with WHM we can't do anything right. People complain when we did Camp Nowhere since it was "too small" of a movie, then when we do big movies like T3 or DragonHeart people complain that they "like" those movies. I genuinely like a lot of movies we've covered. I nearly shut down the mere notion of doing an episode on The Running Man for instance but then I realized: it's OK to like a movie, let's have fun discussing it. It's just a fun conversation. I don't think we ever intend anything we say on the show to be the "definitive" opinion and often when I lurk somewhere, I feel bad about the way the show is perceived but that's on us, I know. I just want to post and say, hey, dudes, I feel you and I'm not trying to crap on things just to crap on them. I want to goof around about them.

We also mention "STAAAATION!!" a lot because it's a funny concept to us, which is probably a credit to the film we're referring to...

Don't mind me folks, I just wanted to stress despite our show name, tones, and demeanor, this show is not coming out of purely negative state. We love movies, we love watching movies, we enjoy what we do. We do it for a reason and that has to say something about even the worst movies we discuss. I always felt like we should be more-so labelled a "movie" show than a "bad movie" show.

Anyway, sorry I don't mean to be a buzzkill, I want to also sincerely thank you all for listening. It's been an incredible journey going from a cynical jerk in NYC to a cynical jerk in NYC with a podcast people actually enjoy. It means the world to all of us over at WHM Headquarters. Thanks guys.

You make my days at work enjoyable. I sit on my rear end and just laugh and work all day long. Seriously, your podcast is one of the better ones out there. I mean, we have 21 pages of discussion just on you guys. Keep on keepin' on!

Also, I'm still anticipating a Surf Ninjas episode. It'd be amaaazing.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Best tangent has to be the art school guy who loves turtles and Keifer Sutherland.

The rest of the episode prior to that was pretty mild on the "funny" but that entire bit made up for it. So god drat funny. Almost as funny as Louie Anderson doing television and movie remakes in their The Day After Tomorrow episode.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Paulie and the frog at Apollo's funeral is another great one.

Almost as funny as Louie Anderson doing television and movie remakes in their The Day After Tomorrow episode.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

I'm still hoping they do an episode of Surf Ninjas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

I think it's obvious the WHM gang reads this thread and I just wanted to say that your recent episodes have been loving stellar (not that past work isn't but you had me laughing even harder recently). Keep up the good work boys. I started this thread 1.5 years ago and we've made it through 100 pages of good discussion and hopefully plenty more will come.

Also, come to Canada damnit.