Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've only just started listening to these guys thanks to this thread, and I'm digging them and their impersonations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know of a working mirror for the show's Jack Frost episode?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I was actually referring to Episode 37 of the main series. It's 404ing on their page and every google search seems to just spit out a 'mirror' that links back to the original.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Thanks! I was running out of entries that I was really interested in.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Their newest episode, I, Frankenstein is glorious. Arguably a classic, because the movie is the platonic ideal of :wtc:.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

I, Frankenstein is on Netflix and I keep meaning to watch it in a "how bad can it possibly be" way.

Honestly, it's not actively bad (for the most part), it's just pretty stupid and pointless.

I strongly liked one thing about it that WHM ragged on: I liked the fact that it had a Creature that was nominally attractive, because that's what Frankenstein thought he was creating. The various handwaves (he was insane, he didn't see the whole picture, the Creature was less ugly when it wasn't in movement, etc) never really worked for me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Has WHM actually had anyone on from the movies they've ripped? It seems kinda unfair to say "they wouldn't backpedal" if they haven't brought anyone on.

One knock for WHM aside from the interchangeability of its hosts: its sound quality from their 'live' shows. I've tried to listen to their Scream 3 episode a few times and its really hard to listen to.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

How are the hosts interchangeable?

It's hard to put into words, but I've listened to a majority of WHM (or close to it, if not) and in general I just feel like I don't really notice a lot of salient differences among the hosts. They all tend to interact/approach the films from the same path, for lack of a better term.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This is bordering on First World Problems, but I'm beginning to hate WHM's intro music. I tend to listen to podcasts as I go to sleep, and the tone of the first few notes hits my ear as purestrain Hey Wake Up.

Late edit: falling asleep to the podcast last night resulted in a really weird situation. As I drifted to sleep and that first phase of kinda-dreaming happened, my brain decided to twist whatever movie the trio were talking about into them commenting on the very dream I was having. A strong :wtc: sensation.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 6, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If you're in the midwest, WHM is doing a show discussing Vice Versa. And it's free!

The timing on this is amazing; just the other day I was internally whining about how shows like WHM or HDTGM never come around.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Figures, the first Live show of theirs that's listenable is the one that I refuse to listen to because GL is a guilty pleasure of mine and I don't like irrationally dislike hearing people rag on it, despite knowing it's not a good movie.

Shame they prolly didn't do it for Vice Versa's live show. Ten minutes of Dad Dick Talk and ten minutes breaking down a scene where a grown woman's near make-out with 12yo Fred Savage is interrupted, and its treated like comedy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like June Diane Raphael.

For lack of a better term, JDR takes the lovely/bizzare movies seriously and earnestly. Whereas the others will just laugh at something for being lovely, she'll try and understand what was going through the character's minds, the creators minds, etc.

The best example of this was the derail in Monkey Shines about naming the monkeys and/or that the monkeys used weren't actors. She wasn't articulating it in the best way, but she was speaking to Romero littering "Btw these animals can really do these dangerous things" to make the movie more interesting was harmful to how monkeys deserve to be treated.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 22, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
PSA: In the new WHM episode (:dance: Space Jam :dance:), you can freely skip the first eight minutes that's pure ads and the way-too-long announcement that they'll be on Spotify.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

I enjoy that the ads still have an element of humor to them as opposed to How Did This Get Made which is just Paul schilling poorly for ten minutes twice an episode.

I like the HDTGM ads better because it's just Paul reading from a script for a minute or two, max. WHM ads have you have everyone getting a remark or two in, maybe a derail, and an overly long explanation of what the service being hocked is.

I really don't understand how anyone can tolerate WHM's ads over HDTGM's.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 26, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I completely agree that Paul hocking a product isn't funny. That's why them pumping in a 2-minute spiel he recorded alone is much more tolerable to me than a bunch of guys trying to out-wacky each other over some product you'll never use for 4+ minutes. You can't make "We're advertising this product to pay the bills" funny.

Who gives a poo poo what the folks at WHM care about "The Netflix Of Magazines" and/or (nonsensically) trying to make discussion of the above funny? Read the script, start talking about bad movies.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 26, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

In fact, the old stuff when they were sponsored by Audible and gave a recommendation tied to the show was great.

I guess you have a broader threshold for 'great' than I do. Their old Audible ads were passable for the reasons I find the HDTGM ones passable: they aren't that funny (cuz reading ads inherently isn't), but at least they were short.

I'd rather have a few 2-minute unfunny commercials in my podcasts than playing the "OK, when do they start talking about bad movies in this Bad Movie Podcast" game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Their newest episode covering The Lost World is a classic.

"The T-Rex in Don't Wake Daddy!"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

All good suggestions. I also want them to do The Master of Disguise because them dismantling terrible "family" movies are some of my favorite episodes and hoo boy is that a movie that is ugly and offensive on just about every narrarive, structural, and moral level.

Hasn't Dana Carvey suffered enough?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The only thing the WHM didn't 'get' about the third Matrix movie was about the whole "Why do they need to reset it?" stuff. Take away all the hoo-hah philosophical stuff and its "We need to flush out the malcontents every once in a while before they gently caress up poo poo for everyone else".

Otherwise their discussion was completely on-point and I loved it, especially the "The Wachowskis forgot the first movie was an action/punchy movie at heart" bit. Classic episode.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 15, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Croisquessein posted:

why are you in a space ship, your ring goes faster

Because Abin Sur doesn't entirely trust his ring; he's afraid of a prophecy called the Blackest Night. Which they brought up in Green Lantern: Secret Origin (iirc) that could have functioned wonderfully as a self-contained-but-setting-up-later-stories story.

I can't bring myself to listen to their take on GL; the design/art was so perfect that the story being so disappointing hurt even worse.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The cod-literalization of a creepy and effective short GL story is the emblem of how creatively bankrupt Johns is. I can't stand that thing.

I don't know what the hell 'cod-literalization' is, but Johns took the a rather meh seed and made it into the best Event Story either line ever had.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The space ship was part of the original set-up, and there's an in-universe explanation in DC, but in the movie it's just a weird plot hole they could have easily changed.

That's my point. Why is he in a space ship? Because he's afraid. Of what? The Blackest Night. No need to really talk about it, there's enough going on right now (Alien who is trying to kill some human because he will possess The Black, have Sinestro and Hal deal with said alien, ignore that Blackest Night poo poo from the dangerous alien)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's not the ads themselves that bother me, but the interjections that elongate the ads that bother me. You need to read ad copy, fine, I'll zone out while you do it. But if someone goes :classiclol: "Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?" :classiclol: followed by everyone giggling for ten seconds every other line of said copy, it gets annoying.

Everyone kvetches about how Sheer does HDTGM ads, but at least it's just him reading copy he recorded earlier by himself.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I will maintain until my dying breath that the first MK movie is the platonic ideal of a Video Game Movie Done Right, with MK:A being the platonic ideal of what everyone thinks of concerning a Video Game Movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm glad they mentioned that the near-end scene when the Elder Gods announcing that this poo poo needs to be resolved in Mortal Kombat (queue theme), because as dumb and bad as the movie is, that scene is legitimately awesome.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Newest episode: The Devil's Advocate! I remember when HDTGM did it; always like when two of 'em do the same movie.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 29, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Only vaguely on topic, but as a Bad Movie Podcast, whats everyones opinion on The Flophouse? I don't have time to listen to an episode (and there's a lot of 'em) so I don't have time to decide if its worth it personally.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the comments on Flophouse; I'll prolly listen to a few to see if I like it. I'm really weird about digressive podcasts. I like HDTGM a shade more than WHM because the latter tends to digress a bit too much for my liking, but one of my favorite podcasts (Frightday, a hole-in-the-wall horror movie podcast) is 20% movie review, 80% conspiracy/cryptozoology talk.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

centaurtainment posted:

-We Hate Movies is the seminar class: it's composed of all majors who did the reading and bring their game faces, and a kickass professor who manages to crack jokes while teaching the material

No, its majors who teach the material, when they are teaching the material. When they aren't, they are regaling you about ~this~ story or ~that~ story that has nothing to do with anything, and you're wondering if you should be taking notes about this.

(I love WHM, but holy poo poo once it derails, it derails.)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Their newest episode is Freddy Vs Jason.

I don't understand why, since the movie is objectively flawless and any criticisms are evidence of being satanic communist terrorists, but there you go.

Edit: vvv :thejoke:

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 20, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Was anyone expressing that sentiment?

Dude, I was just making a joke about how I legitimately love the movie, hyperbolicly insulting anyone who thinks otherwise. There's not too much more to it.

With regards to who plays Jason, I think they are all generally interchangeable since it's just a stuntman playing a masked zombie. I think it was the right choice to hire a huge guy for FvJ, since Freddy is a normal sized dude and the contrast worked.

Anyone who didn't like Freddy's :ohdear: face realizing he's in the Real World next to an obviously pissed Jason hates awesome.

(I agree that Jason fearing water is bullshit. I get that he nearly drowned as a kid, but c'mon, dude lives in the water, practically.)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I'm talking about other podcasts, not WHM. HDTGM is the worst offender since their shows are already short and content-lite.

Sometimes I'm convinced that people in this thread are downloading podcasts from an alternate dimension. while interspersed within the episodes, HDTGM's ads are much shorter, don't overstay their welcome, and their episodes are about as long as WHM,and they talk about the movie more.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

HDTGM talks about June Diane Raphael being a weirdo more than they ever talk about the movie. Also which character Raffi jerked off to.

Again, the whole "downloading from alternate dimensions" thing. Sure, they do those bits, but to claim they take up more time than movie-talk is flat-out wrong and actively disingenuous.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 21, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't think his plan was to kill all the children. Just enough to scare the poo poo out of the rest.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The F13 remake worked for me because of how it distanced itself from the previously established Jason-As-Basically-Teleporting-Zombie-Monster thing. He felt more like a hosed-up kid who grew up by himself and made a hosed-up home in the area as much as he could.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
:siren: BILL AND TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY :siren:

Today is good day. :getin:

(I still want the "Bill and Ted try and figure out why the future Rufus said would happen hasn't happened yet" third movie)

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 8, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Empress Theonora posted:

So, since it's the anniversary week-- what's the first WHM episode everyone heard? It's a bit hard to remember, but I think I've been around since, like, Jesus Christ, Superman III or something.

I think it was the Marky Mark PotA movie for me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Illinois Smith posted:

- Why does Death get 90% of the jokes in the second half?

I like that Death gets that characterization, actually. He's a character generally depicted as cold, alien, and distant. These two idiots make him blow that cover away to show he's a goofy, neurotic idiot himself.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I had a weird moment realizing that I never knew they did an episode of The Hand That Rocks The Cradle til now.

Now I'm all :tinfoil: wondering what other episodes I might've mismarked as Read on my podcast app...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The guy's take on TFA is that it totally isn't a safe copy of ANH, and moments later defending how it's totally ok for them to copy ANH. :lol:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

What director's son were they talking about?

Max Landis's dad killed some kids or something while filming a movie, and every jackass brings it up when talking about him (Max) for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MisterFister posted:

I think they always have their nerd hats on?

Dude, they talked about tearing up/crying over Chewbacca groaning after Han dies*.

They weren't wearing their Nerd Hats, they've got Nerd Fedoras on this time.

* I might be getting the specifics wrong, I was getting sleepy at this point and I need to rewatch.