Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

weekly font posted:

Day After Tomorrow, yeah but I think Cat's Eye is the best Louie Anderson stuff.

It's a cat food hot dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Shadow is very much a good bad movie. There's a lot to make fun of but it's got enough redeeming where you'll have fun with it.

Also

Ror posted:

Yep. I went with my Dad and I could feel the "what are WE watching?" emanating from him in the seat next to me. I had probably been talking it up for weeks in advance like a dumb nerd too.

Sup fellow person who watched this in theater with his dad. I think that may have hurt our relationship more than me coming out...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I haven't seen about half of the movies they've covered, and I still listen to all of them. They sum up everything well enough to follow along.

yea there's no reason a human should have to watch Lady in the Water

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr. Lariat posted:

Dear cast of WHM,

We all know as you have said, it's okay to like a movie. Please also begin to understand it's okay to not like a movie. I'm starting to wonder if they had financial interest in Star Wars 7 or the new ghostbusters considering how often they're "taking the haters to task." It's kinda tedious.

(The new Real Ghostbusters AD episode has a mini Ghostbusters 2016 on screen in it and that's fine, but there's more than one reason to not enjoy a movie besides owning cargo shorts and perma Cheetos stains on your fingers.)

you should write in

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hockles posted:

So, Jupin (and a few other local friends) liking the new Ghostbusters movie is convincing me to go see it in theatres. I was going to wait until it came out on Blu-Ray, but I suppose I can take a huge leap and go see it on Budget Movie Day.

I pretty much 100% agreed with Jupin's reaction to it and it seems that's more or less the vibe my friends have too.

Cyron posted:

that seems like a step lower then pizza rolls, since at least if i have a pizza roll i can do the Mr. planket voice and give myself a laugh.

I'd say the rolls are at least better because you heat them up and are getting a hot pizza simulacrum in your mouth. Combos are just lovely pretzels with bad flavoring.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm in for 8, they're one of my favorite podcasts and I love their Star Trek bits. I can bump it down to 3 later if I decide it's not worth it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jose Oquendo posted:

With the 8 dollar tier are the commentaries free? Or do we just get first dibs at buying them?

Also how are files like that usually distributed?

looks like free, they posted the TMNT commentary just up on the page. Click on 'Posts' in the page and you'll see they already posted an episode of the Star Trek and TMNTMenary. You'll get an update when they post new episodes in your email.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mojo Threepwood posted:

TMNT 3 was an excellent episode, audio wasn't quite Jupiter Ascending quality but still fine. I liked the bits on the animatronic turtle heads, and the tangent about the entire cast being gunned down Godfather style.

Any show that starts with 'I promise we'll talk about turtle dick' is probably a good one.

"I really just want to hear a door slam, someone just walks out right away."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I was under the impression this was the film with the superfluous female turtle but it turns out that was a short-lived TV show

I feel like such a gun pirate

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought 'wait they aren't talking about the weird random girl turtle they added? OH...'

I figured with the talks of turtle dick at the start, and all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

The Fantastic 4 getting their powers from a gypsy curse actually sounds more interesting than whatever the Trenk movie tried to do with them.

Also one thing I like about the reruns is how the old eps would use clips from the movie, like showing off that one dad's amazing acting.

yea the marvel universe being one giant web of romani curses would be 100% more interesting than half the stories we have already.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Baka-nin posted:

How well does Patreon have to do for you to add in Werewolves and things to the rotation? There are literally tens of Werewolf movies to talk about and millions of things. Strike while the Iron is hot man.

frankly I'm more down for the things

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Mastermind posted:

No interest in the Bee Movie Podcast?

we just fear the drama that will come when Steve brings a wasp

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
fall/halloween is the best season anyway, but the fact that it involves WHM's spooktacular is just whipped cream on the sweet potato pie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so I'm smokin a joint with an electric outlet...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MisterFister posted:

Christ the unsolved mysteries bit had me rolling in The Wizard episode. "If you have any information on the poo poo demon, or the btk killer please call..." Eric is the best.

Wasn't that also the one where they said one of the terms like 'simpleton' or something was 'retired with Magic Johnson's jersey' and they all lost their poo poo riffing on it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TetsuoTW posted:

Dubstep Electro was one of the best things in that movie.

I actually like Electro a lot in it and think if it was just 'weird crazy guy is obsessed with Spider-Man, gets powers, goes even more nuts' it would have been really good.

But A) no loving goblin mutant nonsense and Rhino poo poo, just do Electro as the baddie, and B) actually show Electro as a weird loser who's insane. The movie has way too many 'heh, been there right guys' kinda moments at the start where it's like we're supposed to sympathize with Electro being mad that Spider-Man, a dude he never met beyond seeing once, forgot his birthday or whatever.

I'm an Amazing Spider-Man apologist, I admit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'll defend the first, but that second, whoof.

oh yea the first is miles better than the second, I'm just an 'apologist' in the sense that I think it was ok rather than a complete dumpster fire. I think the first was legitimately a very solid Spider-Man origin and unironically liked Garfield for the role.

Though the new guy seems good too, looking forward to Homecoming.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love the last 'don't show new yorkers looting'. Like this last little 'come on guys can you be cool?' on top of all this good fix suggestion.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I kinda hope they read more just stupidly angry emails like the Batman one, because that was something we can all enjoy. It was so over the top it could well have been fake, but even if it was it was firmly in the 'you spent so long on this fake joke that it doesn't matter how unserious you were about it originally' side of things, and it was all just about being angry they didn't pick up on the finer points of a movie where a piss bomb murders congress.

Like, the racist/misogyny stuff would get just kinda unfunny and depressing fast, but surely they have plenty of turbonerd emails getting angry at them saying Mortal Kombat Apocalypse sucked.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The last letter in this month's mailbag :stare:

That was quite a whiplash from the fun of Hamsterman.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

END ME SCOOB posted:

I totally believe the Brown Bunny story because I also had lovely(?) parents who would take my sister and I to "artistic" films when we were younger.

I didn't understand a lot of The Night Porter, but it definitely stuck with me!

yea I 100% believe the brown bunny story

Squallege posted:

I don't think the bar story was funny or should've even been read.

to be fair the attempt to pivot off that was pretty great.

"Well...I had something similar, though not as bad, happen to me"

"Oh, were you forced to make out with your friend too?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't tune in to WHM Mailbags for terrifying stories like that Blade 2 one.

I exclusively tune in for terrifying stories of human anguish.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Of course it's Shungicu Uchida in it. I love her work but it's 100% not surprising she's in that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dmitri-9 posted:

Hey I have this great idea for a comedy: the ghost of an overly intense billionaire and his child bride conspire to steal a younger man's body through murder.

Put in a guy who wants to gently caress his daughter and give the whole shebang to a literal sex monster and you got yourself a movie. I'm Joe Hollywood and my empire is a dumpster.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
speaking of good derails, both the Lobo derail and "I learned the hard way, don't watch Dead Alive with your grandmother" "...You needed a warning for that?" were pro rear end moments in a good rear end episode.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The repeated assertions that The Thing can "still do mouth stuff" is my favorite low-key running joke in a while

Hey Thing, get in here and do some mouth stuff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vermain posted:

Boy oh boy, incoming nerd admission: the thing that genuinely bothered me the most about that fic is how completely out of character Data was. He'd never say that, you loving author!

I mean, on one hand lol getting bothered by that, on the other hand his literal entire character arc is wanting to find a way to have emotions.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

END ME SCOOB posted:

They work so blue on those episodes, it cannot be said enough.

Was it Steve that desperately tried to reign it in for a bit? That was fun too.

"I dunno, Davey, people pay for these episodes with real money," or whatever was the best response to the 'time to make the donuts' bit possible.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The Happening is so bad I've had to explain to people in real life that it wasn't a joke.

And before someone here insists it was an intentional comedy, come on.

I have also had to explain that it wasn't a Birdemic situation to people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

precision posted:

The worst thing about people who complain about watery, domestic beer is that they talk as if people who drink cheap beer don't know it's pisswater. I'm not drinking it for the taste! DRINK A BEER!

Figure it out!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jesus the mailbags are always golden.

"Is this when you opened a blockbuster account in my name and ruined my dad's credit rating?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Describing Last Man Standing as 'he tricked America into letting him do that again' was the most accurate thing they've said in ages.

'is he the last MAN standing? Because he's in a house run by women!'

'Oh no! NO! They did it!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'll actually defend Home Improvement, because usually they were decent about making the jokes half "Tim is right and this thing he's upset about is dumb" and half "Tim's actually an idiot and his wife/friend/whatever has to explain to him to be a not-lovely person." Most of the 'man stuff' was just 'I wanna work on my car and play with my tools'. In Last Man he's basically just angrily reading Breitbart articles while a laugh track plays.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
where IS the Pussy Posse now

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Their Ventura tangent had me in tears.

"And the Riddler just threw cum on me like Silence of the Lambs. I keep saying 'what kinda riddle is that?'"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think the special cut whatever version of Suicide Squad is a decent movie. Nothing I'd ever see a second time but it's miles better than BvS and even Man of Steel, both of which were firmly in the 'garbage I regret watching once at all' side of things. I'd still take literally any Marvel movie over it I'm pretty sure, but yea I don't think we can call it the worst hero movie of the year when BvS was around too.

That said there's absolutely tons to make fun of and I'm eager to hear them make fun of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

precision posted:

"Troma film" could mean so many things though, like I get why they would be down on "the typical Troma film" which is probably what they mean, but at the same time, Tromeo and Juliet, Killer Condom, LolliLove, and a bunch more I'm sure I'm forgetting, are legitimately good films

yea "Troma film" alone is pretty useless as a term at this point. I'm also pretty sick of the 'standard' Troma film too but they've done enough mold breaking to have some gold stars despite that feeling. I think they've mentioned a couple of those as movies they like so, yea they probably just use that to mean the general 'style'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
statistically speaking at this point, Will Smith is not in good movies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gyges posted:

I feel like Will Smith really wants to get an Oscar, but doesn't quite understand the difference between bad Oscar bait and an actual Oscar contender. When he didn't win for Ali or The Pursuit of Happiness he lost what ability he did have to tell the difference.

Poor guy just didn't realize that simply because Helen Mirren is in something doesn't make it good. Honest mistake though.

Yea it really does feel that way. Smith is clearly a smart dude (despite being in a crazy alien cult) and he understands the concepts around oscar bait kinda stuff and you can see he's trying to play the game, but he has to turn everything up to 11 when really if he just made kinda a generic emotional movie about a man who has to deal with some poo poo and finds hope in overcoming it he'd probably at least get a nomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Count Chocula posted:

As discussed above, the WHM guys have a deep knowledge of film. They're not going to call a Steven Soderbergh movie 'bad' because it gets a bit meta. I hate people who call anything less realistic than a Christopher Nolan movie 'bad', and WHM are too smart for that.

Check this site for more good, weird movie crit: http://366weirdmovies.com/

you're not wrong that there's nothing wrong with meta stuff inherently but I'm also positive twelve is the one where Julia Roberts had to impersonate Julia Roberts for a very prolonged scene so gonna have to disagree that this was just 'gets a bit meta'.