Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Angry_Ed posted:

Are we pretending "producer" means "writer" again?

EDIT: also this posits that Maxwell Lord's character was not a wannabe oil magnate before Gal Godot insisted on a rewrite where they go to Egypt so she can save what appears to be two Arabian children from being run over by an APC.

Honestly this whole argument is getting dumb as gently caress considering that I found the whole "I want my ancestral land back and all the heathens out" bit problematic as well but I think it's problematic on its own without making things up.

I genuinely don't know what you want frankly, I think it's gross that in a movie with someone who before she decided to be a lovely actor she was going around talking about praying for the safety of the dudes blowing up hospitals there's an extended like...D plot...that means nothing to the story where she actually fights the REAL bigots who kill kids, the random hollywood middle eastern country. I don't really care who wrote it but it genuinely pisses me off as a Jewish person that she's such a shameless propagandist for people like Netanyahu (who she campaigned for) while making movies where she saves little hijabi girls from the REAL bad guys. It's fine if you don't but I don't see the point in trying to kinda sorta dance around some very unpleasent implications in asking why her military past and support is brought up when loving Morgan Freeman's isn't, as if they're exactly the same people doing exactly the same movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marin Karin posted:

I haven't seen Birds of Prey yet, but it has a lot of dudebros say things like, "How could DC go from badass masterpieces like Man of Steel to garbage like Birds of Prey?" So I assume it's good.

I enjoyed it a lot. It's not some gold medal of film but A) in the rather dire world of super hero movies it's up there with Ant Man and Guardians for 'oh loving thank god a super hero movie where people are having fun' so that's worth some brownie points as is, and B) it's a real good 'I've got nothing to do today, time to just watch a movie and chill' movie so I'd say it's a good WLM pick.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AceOfFlames posted:

Fun fact: Margot Robbie is actually allergic to chicken eggs so they had to use duck eggs for that scene. For some reason, that's one of the few things that stuck with me from my Hot Ones binging spree.

man duck egg sandwich sounds good as hell

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea they're 100% correct that you will not be able to guess how stupid this movie gets and that kinda makes it amazing

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
good lord what a week

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1373771398393511936

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea you cannot pay me to watch the Snyder Cut, I don't care if it actually is better you can't make me watch a 4 hour Justice League movie and I'm a loving DC over Marvel freak.

Looking forward to hearing them talk about it though!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm probably eventually gonna get high and watch it over zoom with some friends together but yea for me I'm just not hype to spend that much time on a version that turns a dogshit movie into an average movie with a couple cool moments.

It's okay to like a movie, though, and I can't argue that the Snyder cut is probably better than what we got just on virtue of 'any cut that's a single cohesive director's vision is likely better than that weird cobbled together abortion we got first'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

thrawn527 posted:

New schedule is out.

Episode 545 — Stargate

Episode 546 — The Simpsons Movie with Henry Gilbert and Bob Mackey

Episode 547 — Saw III

Episode 548 — The Mighty Ducks

Patreon Episodes:

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — Escape from New York

Animation Damnation — The Critic: "Dr. Jay" (s1, e10)

The Nexus: TOS: "Return to Tomorrow" (s1 e20) TNG: "The Ensigns of Command" (s3, e2)

Gleep Glossary: General Maximillian Veers

Melr0210: 90210: "The Party Fish" (s2, e2) Melrose Place: "Three's a Crowd" (s1, e22)

there's nothing even slightly not-hype about this roster, good month comin!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GlenMR posted:

Gabrus' energy is just the loving best.

he's such a lovable oaf, I love any time he's on a podcast because it means there's either gonna be some good energy or it's gonna be a Doughboys thing where he's close and friendly enough with them that he's just going to spend the whole episode making GBS threads on them in the funniest ways

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AceOfFlames posted:

This is definitely one of my favorite GGs so far.

'Hi I'm Ken Palpatine and I'm gonna sell you a lovely car"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I think Gabrus, Griffin and Angelica are basically my top three guests of theirs when it comes to being able to just dive into the riffs instead of getting lost in the conversation and all

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

secretly best girl posted:

I haven't even made it out of the trailer game and this is already a top-tier episode just for the singalong

"listen, use a VPN if you're gonna use Eric Chan"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea she seems to be a longtime WW fan so I imagine she was happy to dump on 84 being such a poor adaptation and all, but yea they even acknowledge how hilarious it is how angry they all were at that movie in this episode so I think she'd agree that was a weird vibe all around.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Timeless Appeal posted:

Angelica is less of a guest and more an unofficial host in my book. I think Chelsea is the only other person who slides into the show as easily.

yea of all the guests they have who aren't literally married to one of them she's the one who if they just randomly said 'oh by the way we hired Angelica full time' I'd be 100% down for.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also I just wanna say I haven't watched Jackass in ages but boy does Jackass The Movie hold up

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Invalid Validation posted:

I’ll admit all those jackass movies hold up surprisingly well. Like seriously surprising. I even like the ones that were actual movies like Bad Granpda.

yea I think I may have to do some Jackass marathoning on Paramount, this commentary basically completely captured my feelings on it of 'oh poo poo this is still genuine very funny'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think 'is Butterbean okay?' and 'sorry, I've got bursitis' are maybe the funniest lines in any movie and I will stand by that

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I'm glad the worst aged bits were just 'alright maybe you didn't need like three different variants of a running around Japan with 'Turning Japanese' playing' and nothing actually bad.

Horrifying like the paper cut stuff? Absolutely.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Coheed and Camembert posted:

"Es un carrito! :ohdear:" from the doctor in the last bit really got me good.

'don't tell nobody, this guy knows and that's too many people' made me cry laughing

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea that was my one negative experience with the commentary, I had no idea where to get the unrated version to stream so I wound up having to pause and wait until it sounded like they were at the next bit a few times.

I'm kinda glad I didn't know where to get it though because it sounds like they extended the paper cut scene :gonk:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Deleter posted:

Very blue episode but that's what the patreon dollars are for!

E: Joe Biden as a talking carrot is incredible

'I'm a little part eggplant too...uh oh I'm cancelled!'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

as a cajun I just was left genuinely wanting a big pot of red beans after that bean dinner tangent.

A+ ep, I love the ones where the movie's such a nothing that it's really just an excuse for them to chill out and riff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea starting off vulgar with Eric could have been kinda hacky but the fact that it just led to them building off the baseline made it fantastic.

"Hit me in my egg butt!!!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I don't really see any contradiction here. They're not saying that every movie should be a horny gently caress-fest, but that adult human beings have sex and it's a little weird that most mainstream films don't even acknowledge this.

Marvel movies are PG-13, so they could easily get away with more than they do if Disney wanted them to. Like the first Iron Man, which acknowledges that human beings have sex!

yea unsurprisingly I don't think they genuinely want a 20 minute scene where JARVIS explains Tony's depraved sexual desires to a date, but it was more about 'it's weird that in the first one they could acknowledge that the billionaire playboy hosed but in the rest a kiss on the cheek is as spicy as it gets'

People gently caress, that's okay, but it is wild to have your movie for children about a talking cat open with the cat post-bone session.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rageaholic posted:

Yup:

Episode 571 — An American Werewolf in Paris

Episode 572 — Halloween H20: 20 Years Later

Episode 573 — Stay Alive (2006)

Episode 568 — Leprechaun with James and Chelsea of Dead Meat!

Patreon Episodes:

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — An American Werewolf in London

Animation Damnation — Doug: "Doug's Halloween Adventure" (s4, e4)

The Nexus: TOS: "Bread and Circuses" (s2 e25) TNG: "The Enemy" (s3, e7)

Gleep Glossary: Finis Valorum

Melr0210: 90210: "Camping Trip" (s2, e7) Melrose Place: "The Test" (s1, e27)

Synchable Commentary: The Prowler

e: I think I'm going insane because I was sure I watched Leprechaun for this podcast before, maybe last year or the year before, but I Googled and CTRL+F'd on the WHM site and nothing came up :confused:

aw hell yea, but where's

aw hell yea!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

teen witch posted:

Depression protip: saying things in the Randy Newman voice when you’re having a case of the sadbrains might not cure your ailment, but it definitely makes it funnier.

why DO I WAH-NUH sleep ALL DEY? I can’t stop cryyiiin’

this but the Nick Nolte wheeze/scream has become one of my go-to movies to try to curb a low stretch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I truly expected 'Little Ellen' to be a 90's thing ala Life With Louie, absolutely stunned to hear it was last year

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MariusLecter posted:

I think this came up after someone brought in a mini fryer and bag of chicken drumsticks to make wings at a potluck.

that's a power move not gonna lie

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

They have to do the Christmas special. The whole problem is that the rich girl's dad wants to have Porkchop put down and Doug consults his made up weak boy personas for advice and they're all uhhhh this is like a real problem not one of your made up elementary school social anxiety issues

yea it's really a fantastic insane episode. The stakes are literally 'I'm gonna murder your dog' and all his dumb fake fantasy versions go 'wait what dog murder? Dude this is a 'you' issue' and I THINK it ends when the dog, who's functionally a sentient being which makes the whole murder thing worse, saves the rich girl's life?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jose Oquendo posted:

May's WLM: Collateral

gently caress yes.

already a good lineup this month but this alone makes this a great month

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/stephensajdak/status/1527740250142957569

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, not clear what the change was since I live nowhere near the place or anything but clearly it was something that genuinely bothered him and I've picked up enough by osmosis to know that place is something special in the area. Good on him being able to stick to his principles there. For all the jokes about these guys being nasty lil poo poo boys who want to watch Zoo and Star Wars forever the guys clearly share a very real passion for movies and the artform involved in them so I hope he's able to find a way to keep doing things like screenings.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's great to rip into stuff but it's also good to just hear them talk about a movie that's fine but still have some stupid poo poo to have fun with. Like, yea, city slickers is a great hangover movie but there's plenty to point and laugh at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

regulargonzalez posted:

He used to be my least favorite but boy howdy has he stepped up his game the last couple of years to the point that only Eric is funnier now.

yea as someone who's listened since waaaaay early on Chris has had a fantastic arc of going from 'the kinda weakest part of the team (though being the 'weakest' in WHM is still being better than most comedy podcasts)' to being gold