Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
The audio is not great on this week's live episode, which they admit up front. I didn't think it was too bad, except for Eric for some reason.

Otherwise, a great episode that as you would expect, gets filthy almost from the start.

An explanation from the guys:

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1688972887707815936?s=20

quote:

The club neglected to put his mic into the mix, so the only way you can hear him is through our three mics picking up his voice through the stage monitors, meaning it had to be boosted and filtered significantly. It wasn't ideal release conditions, but we needed the week off.

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

The guys admit at the start of this week's episode (during the in-studio) intro, since they've now done a WLM for a Robin Williams movie with The Birdcage, the gates are now open to do WHM episodes on some of his, uh, lesser works once again. (Bicentennial Man and Flubber were two of the titles mentioned.) :getin:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

WHM is leaving the Headgum Network and becoming an independent podcast:

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1694733834896425262

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Two WHM news items:

Mail Bag episode tomorrow night on YouTube, with a "very big Patreon-related announcement":

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1696183359926403389

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?EcjxRB2rG0Y

And WHM Patreon subscribers at the $5 level and above on Patreon keep on winning as the guys revealed today a new and easier to use RSS feed for the archived episodes (everything from the WHM Prime feed through episode 109, except for the pilot which is lost to history):

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1696258856312082770

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Good news is, most of the ads in the free feed episode this week have music so you can more easily skip past them.

Bad news is, it seems like there are more of them spread throughout. :suicide:

I did lol at the ad for Applebee's after a recent episode where the guys talked about how terrible it is. :v:

Edit: Okay, maybe the same number of ads, it just feels like more because they're more spread out than in previous episodes.

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 26, 2023

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

I wonder if the WHM slush fund would cover a trip to Scotland to stay in Shrek's swamp?

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Fezz posted:

I'm not much of a horror guy, so I've never heard of the Devil's Rain.

It's got William Shatner escaping a satanic cult led by Ernest Borgnine and John Travolta in a very brief role as one of the cultists at the end.

The end involves the titular rain and is goopy, but nowhere near the level of Society.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Bushwhacked? Like, the Daniel Stern scout leader movie? Spooktacular?

I've never seen it, but it didn't seen like a horror movie.

edit:

Oh I haven't listened to the Saw V episode yet. Do they mention switching things out?

Bushwacked is a movie they've talked about doing more than once. According to the wiki it came up in the ep on Rookie of the Year (369), but I could swear it also came up in any episode where they covered a Daniel Stern movie.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

I like the Saw movies, too, and find that they work best if you bingewatch them like a TV series. Even if the clusterfuck of parts of 3, 4 and 5 occurring at the same time makes it a little difficult to keep track. :v:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Which episode do they discuss Dead Zone? I don't think there's a dead zone episode but im old and listened to hundreds of them over the years. Help

I checked the wiki and there's no Dead Zone episode. They talk about "Dead Zoning all orphans" in the ep on Orphan.

Could have also come up in one of the eps where they did Christopher Walken impressions:

It's a Wonderful Life
Batman Returns
The Prophecy
Animation Damnation 79: Garfield & Friends
Dunston Checks In
Forrest Gump
Rookie of the Year
Serenity (2019)
The Stepford Wives (2004)
America's Sweethearts

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

I will say the ad placement in the Bushwacked episode is better, in that it doesn't happen mid-sentence.

Even if one of them for me was for hearing aids from a local pharmacy chain. :corsair:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Putting the tweet down, and I don't know why Steve didn't check when he was on the IMDB Tribune to look up the other sequels, but the Monte Hellman-directed Silent Night, Deadly Night Chris was Silent Night, Deadly Night 3: You Better Watch Out!

And the ad Andrew was talking about (which was uploaded to YouTube fifteen years ago, but first aired in 2000 :corsair:):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JxhTnWrKYs

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

The Friday the 13th ranking chat has escaped the containment of the Horror thread... :murder:

(I thought the majority consensus was that 8 and 9 were the worst.)

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Can't wait to listen. The guys always bring it when it comes to Sir Michael Caine.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Steve hitting a little too close to home with one thing in the Batman Begins ep: "I became the thing I fear the most. Failure." :smith:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Big news for those of you who back the blue, Hooked on Hooker returns next month:

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1724484701849554956

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

One thing I really enjoy about WHM compared to other bad movie podcasts is that the guys tend to pay attention to what they're watching for the show (tall glasses of water notwithstanding) and if they miss something, one of the other guys will usually correct them.

I remember HDTGM being particularly bad about this sort of thing once they realized it was popular and made episodes a frustrating listen.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

I think my favorite part of Die Hard 2 (aside from seeing it at one of those "sneak previews" studios did back then a few days before the actual release to build up word of mouth; the theater was running late and the audience booed when they tried to show the Predator 2 trailer first, making them skip it :corsair:) is that it gave us one of the best sketches from The Ben Stiller Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgSCp__lU-I

"How could the same thing happen to the same guy nineteen times?" "It'll be fun, we'll go shopping, get a Christmas turkey..." :v:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Going through my playlist of Christmas/winter episodes and I could have sworn they did an episode on The Snowman (2017) but I think I just conflated the recurring Domino's Takeout Insurance bit (which started in Traces of Red) with an actual episode on the movie. "I left you all the clues Mr. Domino's."

Also, Jingle All the Way 2 being their fourth anniversary episode. :corsair:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Last On-Screen Live of the year has been canceled due to illness and OSL will return in late January 2024. They also say their favorites of 2023 will be posted somewhere soon.

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1736748787119333627

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

This is what comes of trying to do too many things as sandwichly as possible.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Downloading the Love, Actually episode and seeing that it's nearly three hours without ads. :getin:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

……what?

:nws:It's a, uh, thing that exists.:nws:

Presumably members of the Order of Boop already knew about it.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

:siren:The phone lines and email are open again for Listener Request Month through January 31st at 11:59pm EST:siren:

Usual rules, etc. apply. TOS is off the table for the Nexus because they're nearly done. Strange New Worlds is an option instead.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Thought it was funny during Saw X when Crabin talked about how hard it is to make fun of comedies, and then it's announced at the end that next week's episode is Blast From the Past. :v:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Don't forget about Steve's fear of "HEY, SADJAK!" and his vow to kill himself if he finds himself in the beginning of the apocalypse or a horror movie.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

The Notting Hill episode brings back a couple of other favorites: Steve's (and the rest of the guys' now) hatred of doorknob placement on front doors in England and Eric's belief that you can put anything in British pudding. :allears:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Propaniac posted:

The bit that hooked me was from Day After Tomorrow: what if everyone in Hollywood was killed except for Louie Anderson and he had to play every part in every movie and also host the Oscars

Anything with the guys riffing on Louie Anderson (R.I.P.D.) is comedy gold. Cat food hot dogs from the Cat's Eye episode and the Life With Louie Christmas special. Surprised they haven't done a regular episode of Life With Louie for Animation Damnation.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

I always hope they'll do another Halloween sequel for the :spooky:Spooktacular:spooky: so Loose Loomis can make a return.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

"Oh well, boys. I seem to have passed away."

M. Emmet Walsh died. :(

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

mweber posted:

It sounds like they both will be WLM. Chris said they’re also doing Men at Work, which is another WLM.

My guesses for the other movies are The Arrival, Wall Street 2, and The Getaway.

Any other bad or bad/good Sheen movies that they haven’t done yet?

The Arrival and The Chase have both been mentioned as being ones to Stay Tuned for, so one of them is probably an episode.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

mweber posted:

Gah, I meant The Chase, not The Getaway.

I think Terminal Velocity is stay tuned too. I’d love some more stories about Steve’s father’s days at the skydiving ranch.

Terminal Velocity would give them a chance to bring back the Skydiving News Network, too. "Update..."

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Gotta.save some titles for Sheenpril Two. (Two! Two! Two! Two!)

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Watched some holiday appropriate movies over the weekend with my partner. One of the movies was Stigmata, so I listened to the ep the guys did again today.

Early on they talk about Gabriel Byrne thinking he was going to be Keyser Soze in The Usual Suspects and all the success Kevin Spacey had after that. They go on to say, "He wishes he had everything Kevin Spacey has." :stonklol:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

mweber posted:

Steve’s father is awesome.

Did the Jamemaster's father teach him how to rig the VHS Trailer Game in favor of Chris Cabin? :v:

(Seriously though, Steve's father is indeed awesome.)

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

The Arrival this week is an instant classic imo simply because of the Ron Silvers of many nations. Kills me every time they add another one. French-Canadian Ron Silver is there. "Can we get some pountine for the table?"

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 23, 2024

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Soup du Jour posted:

Sheenpril has been far and away the best Actor Month WHM has done. It’s kind of ironic that they prefaced the whole month about it being artificial and kludged together when every episode has felt way more fluid and organic than the Snipes or Brimley months

I think that's because there's more of a variety and quality to Charlie Sheen's output (before his career plummeted) than Wesley Snipes or Wilford Brimley. Weren't more than one of the Brimley movies ones where he had a supporting role? (And they'd already done some Brimley movies that would have fit in the month nicely, too.)

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Next season of Too Old For This poo poo or the first-ever Animation Damnation miniseries:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1785701127024992479

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

I must've confused the episode on Foodfight! with one on Sausage Party, because I could have sworn they did one on Sausage Party.

Guess I have a title picked out to enter for next year's Listener Request Month. :v: