Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Wow, I'm glad I found this topic. I listen to these guys every week, and I think I've gone through the entire catalogue. I'll admit, though, I skip the ones without Steve in them if I don't have an interest in the movie. He is just the funniest one, and improves the comedy of everyone around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Ave Azaria posted:

I've listened to a few episode now. I like them, but all their voices sound the same and I'm never sure if it's 2 or 3 or 4 guys named Steve or Mike or whatever. Do they ever have guests?

No. They don't have guests. Nobody is forcing you to listen, either. :tipshat:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My tip for the backlog is this:
1- Is it a movie you know? Listen to the podcast.
2- Is it not a movie you know? Listen to the caster intro.
3- Is Steve in the group? Listen to the podcast.

Steven is the funniest guy, and actively makes the others guys try to be funnier, too. On some casts where he isn't there, it's like when you hang out with your group of friends but it's nothing but the B Team there and nobody really plays off each other.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

bobkatt013 posted:

Next week is We Love Movies and if you go to Jupin's Letterboxd page you can find out what amazing film they are watching.

I can't navigate that site. Which Nic Cage movie is it?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
gently caress yes.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The software is called a calendar. New episodes come out every Tuesday.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really wish Steve could've been with them for the Blind Fury episode.

Or, really, every episode. He really is the funniest one. And makes everyone else laugh so much that they try to be funnier.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Tender Bender posted:

I guess I don't see how you can think "C'mon stop riffing about stuff and talk about the movie!", and still enjoy WHM at all, since off topic riffs are kind of their bread and butter. I thought the ads were plenty funny myself.

It's true, the best bits are only tangentially related to whatever they are talking about. It's usually the derail of a derail that has the most surreal and ridiculous parts, and then one of them has to go begrudgingly "but anyway back to this lovely movie". I loved this episode, too. I hope it's The Lost World, but that feels kind of ... obvious. He has a whole lot of lovely movies in his filmography (bless his heart).

E: He = Jeff Goldblum.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but how many of them are summer blockbusters?

Oh, dang. I forgot we are getting into the summer blockbusters! Good call.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

DoombatINC posted:

Okay so I normally hate double posting but right now I hate everything so it balances out

I wrote down every time I laughed while watching Master of Disguise from beginning until the last goddamn frame:

18 minutes: Abraham Lincoln is shown bombing during a speech so a Disguisey in a Lincoln costume swaps places with him and turns the party out; it goes on just long enough for me to reconsider if it was ever funny before it had a chance to end.

36 minutes: Jennifer Esposito gives Dana Carvey a clue while telling him some background information. When he looks at the clue, he hears what she just said in a voice-over, then goes "Do you remember that thing you once said about blah blah blah..." I actually forgot what the joke here was because I just wrote down the timestamp so that shows how desperate I was to laugh.

60 minutes: Jennifer Esposito goes in for a kiss while Dana Carvey is rambling about god knows what. He rambles straight through her kiss, then kisses the air where she used to be. It's a little Actually Cute and might have worked as a throwaway joke in a Woody Allen movie.

The 70 minute runtime with 10 minutes of credits makes it sound like this would be a lean movie, but the weird cuts and total lack of continuity hints at some five hour epic that was filmed where this was the only remotely presentable material. I wonder if all the original footage still exists, or if the ground beneath it gave way as Hell could not bear to be without its purest creation.

Edit: and to the point of the thesis, no, ain't a glass tall enough, ain't a water icy cold enough

Uhhaaha... Hahaha... HAHAHAHA *fart*.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'd say good candidates would be Masters of the Universe, Howard the Duck, Pearl Harbor, Van Helsing, The Happening, Wild Wild West, Waterworld, Hudson Hawk, The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Charlie's Angels 2...

Van Helsing is my personal pick.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Forgot about Masters. Thanks!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Little Monsters is terrible. That's such a great request.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The Pest does have John Legauizamo clicking his heels together and counting his farts like the vampire from Sesame Street. Tough call there. Also our old friend Jeffrey Jones! I love the Stay Tuned episode.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 11, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It tries to be zany but there are parts of pure terror.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I saw Camp Nowhere so many times as a kid and man don't remember it being this weird. I think I get it confused with Heavyweights, that one about the fat camp with young Ben Stiller essentially playing the same role from Dodgeball but with less sexual innuendo. "Lunch today has been cancelled due to lack of hustle".
Also a fat kid getting really sentimental about go karts. Something like, "riding one is the only time I get to go fast".

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, pretty sure the lost boy that literally rolls as a ball down a gangplank in Hook is in that movie.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Firstborn posted:

It tries to be zany but there are parts of pure terror.

I warned you.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

weekly font posted:

Three of the four not seeing that scene and the interlude to watch it is the funniest WHM moment in a while.

It surprised the hell out of me. Then "Ladies and gentleman... some new evidence has surfaced..." or something.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So who was the goon who did the stairs thing to WHM

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Did they do a "welcome to the show vin"? I can't remember if they did another of his dumb movies.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Jose Oquendo posted:

Whenever I fart, it's pretty much a 50/50 chance I might poo poo myself.

I can't imagine what your diet or resting rear end in a top hat circumference is to achieve that, but impressive

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Sir Fat Tony you lived a charmed life

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I love how his nose grows when he becomes The Shadow, and the opening where he has long coke fingers and a bed full of ladies and a dagger with a face bitches at him. Also Tim Curry gets to do his snorting, derisive guffaws about double crossing someone. I love when he does that.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The Shadow may be one of my new favorite episodes. I also really like they the podcast was 90 minutes. I'm too lazy to check, but I feel some of them hover around 60 minutes and it isn't as satisfying. Maybe I'm making that up, but this one felt like one of those super-sized issues of Wizard magazine back in the day with a pull out poster of Eric Movie dressed as Wolverine.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Phantom is the worst of those, I think. I remember Dick Tracy being very meandering, The Shadow being dark and mean spirited, and Rocketeer being fun and old-timey.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Predator 2 owns, though. And "he's in town with a few days to kill" is one of the best taglines ever.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Abraxas, Mortal Kombat, Hard Target for me. Hider in the House is another one. Also really like Stay Tuned. The impressions really crack me up... honestly The Shadow might be in 5th place, I have to give it another listen. Although I've listened to quite a few more than once or twice. They can go so far off topic it might be better to remember the bits than them on the movies.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Oh, I also really like the Maaareo Brothers one. Bob Hoskins RIPD.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I somewhat agree with the opinion that Cabin and Eric have similar comedic styles that overlap. I say this because when going through the old catalogue before Stephen was in every episode, it's pretty clear the best episodes have Stephen in it. He brings a certain energy to the rest of the guys and seem to make them want to be goofier.
Some of the episodes without him are just so dry and monotone.
I don't particularly like Ben, he went on a rant that was just well-treaded internet pedantry that wasn't funny or very WHM-like. Mid-sentence he should've been asked to put down his tweet.

For reference, my favorite episodes (that i've listened to quite a few times) are Hard Target (Brimley, secret Gambit movie, saying dadd-e), Timecop (beep-boop-bop), Abbraxas, Hider in the House, Mortal Kombat... there's only a few clunker episodes in a very long and wide album of great hits. It's only when the guys really talk about something they have no interest or frame of reference (dungeons & dragons comes to mind) that makes for eyerollers. Opinion zone.

Like, the idea of having multiple listens to this podcast about shows and more or less knowing the jokes and still looking forward to them... I don't know, it's just magic.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 4, 2017

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
They should do the old Fist of the North Star live action movie. I'd also like to hear their Over the Top live thing, I wonder if/when that will become available.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'd recommend Mortal Kombat, Timecop, Hard Target, maybe one of the Highlander movies. Yes I like Chris Lambert and JCVD, so what. Maybe one of the Jaws? There's good episodes for starters.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, it was not a good performance. Indiana Jones is legit my favorite movie series ever, and I'm willing to forgive any transgression. Cate Blanchett was a one-note ham same as they say Gary Oldman would be.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
When does the show come back? I can never remember, then when I finally check back, I've missed a dozen new episodes (not a bad feeling). Is it Oct for the Spooktacular?

My picks for request month:

Fist of the North Star
Sin City 2
Constantine
Movie 43
House of the Dead
Zaat
Laserblast
Things
Blair Witch II: Book of Shadows
Simon Sez
Double Impact
Expendables I or II
Rambo (2008)
Red Sonja
Vanilla Sky
3,000 Miles to Graceland
Temple of Doom (air it out already)
Shoot 'Em Up
The Last Boyscout
(not strictly a list of bad movies, just ones I'd like to hear the guys discuss)

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 5, 2017

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
You can also add any movie where people don't know how police work / the internet / white guy karate works.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The Pest is just terrible. I second that.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
They think it's a bad movie.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Put your post down, sir
You can like a movie

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Pretty good episode. Just about every Tim Curry impression got me
Jay Leno's car that uses children as fuel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Blade would have to be a We Love Movies... even Blade II has things that are kind of good about it

... Wait, was Blade II the one where Wesley wouldn't close his eyes and so they had to CGI them?