Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

bobkatt013 posted:

It is Face Off

:allears:

That's going to be amazing. It's next to Bad Lieutenant maybe the most Nick Cage-iest of his movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

precision posted:

The thing that got me to swear off How Did This Get Made is the awful commercials. Paul Scheer makes every product that sponsors them sound creepy and horrible, I have no idea why he's so bad at it. I know I can just skip the commercials (like I skip the equally awful theme song) but that requires input rather than just "leave it on and listen".

Okay, but to be fair, the way they push Harrys is not exactly great either. The first time I heard it I thought it was parody, because its so over the top. It's just razors, but they way they talk about it, you get the feeling it can cure cancer. And at the same time, their enthusiasm sounds really tried.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 13, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Or you know, a best of clip show on youtube, because the film is really pretty bloated

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Sometimes I find it pretty hard to follow the show if I haven't seen the movie before. They go on some many, funny tangents and skip a lot of of the boring parts of the film that it can be hard to understand what exactly is happening.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I just listen to the episode and honestly, their objection to the Loony Tunes being enslaved is kinda weird.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
:psyduck:

When you people described the thing, I figured it was one of those terrible mid-90s feature length cartoons, not a freaking live action movie. Jesus, what the gently caress?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

thrawn527 posted:

I've never seen this movie, but I have seen the documentary Jaime Kennedy made about how angry he got at how much everyone hated it, Heckler. And it was pretty loving terrible.

Seriously, he made a documentary about how wrong everybody was hating a lovely Jim Carrey-less Jim Carrey sequel?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Just listened to Stealth I I love that their collective embarrassment over nuMetal has become a reoccurring segment.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Gyges posted:

I think I might request Lifetime's Taken For Ransom.

Woman loses her son, becomes an alcoholic, gets kidnapped, bonds with fellow kidnappee who reminds her of her son, makes an escape where her surrogate son dies and she kills 3 people, finds out that her husband and Tia Carrere orchestrated the kidnapping.

Only it turns out that instead of an affair between Tia Carrere and her husband, it was actually psychiatric therapy to get her to get over her dead son. Nobody actually died and all that super trauma fixed all her problems! Awww, how sweet, and they lived happily ever after.

That sounds like a fake movie they make up in shows like 30 Rock.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, the great thing about them is that the actual movie is pretty incidental to the episodes. The funniest parts, at least to me, are the weird scenarios the cook up. Like in the "The Substitute" episode, the entire thing with Tom Berenger's Outworld Vietnam flashbacks is hilarious as hell.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, the Harry's stuff was at least presented with a bit of humor, but the Uber commercials have an odd Stepfordian feel to them.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

weekly font posted:

That's why I don't really care. I want them to get paid. Also taking an Uber to Rutgers and getting hammered and then driving back DUI Free is dope.

I see you also got the sideshow script.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jose Oquendo posted:

So how does a cartoon show about a PMC and a terrorist organization end up having episodes about night clubs and hit top 40 singles?

Probably writer's block. Since they could never actually progress or resolve the conflict between the Joe's and Cobra, or do anything that might actually suggest violence, they probably ran out of actual stuff to do for Cobra pretty fast.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You know, we were all making GBS threads on those ads, but I think they really stepped up their game recently to make them funny to listen to. the ones in Freddy vs. Jason were pretty hilarious. HATE!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Sometimes I wonder how much of the show is actually improve and how much is at least partially prescripted. The Carpenter scene is just too perfect to be developed on the fly. Or the guys are geniuses.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BlameSpacePod posted:

No. We all started the episode knowing John Carpenter had been approached though. Source: I was there.

Well, kudos then, because it's a loving fantastic bit.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jimbot posted:

Wait, you're telling me that Shang Tsung didn't help us against Ho Chi Minh?

Everything in The Substitute episode was a lie!

Tom Berenger would make a great MK character

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You can all download them from their site.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Both shows are amazing in how little they actually resemble ancient times in any way or form. It's basically your typical pseudo medieval European fantasy world, but occasionally they namedrop a city or a famous person. I think Xena in the end covered the entirety of mythological times up to the early middle ages in the span of a couple of years. Who knew that the fall of Lucifer, Ceaser's reign, Jesus birth and entire lifetime and the rise of Christianity all happened in the same 5 years?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

thrawn527 posted:

Did they really go into the birth of Jesus on Xena: Warrior Princess?

Twice, iirc. One was an off-brand wandering preacher, who taught pacificm and monotheism and started a huge rear end religion that threatened the old gods and at one time Xena protected not Josepg and Maria and helped them set up camp in the stable.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I am genuinely surprised that Blame it on Rio is in the top three for so many people.

Outside of the gross premise is an incredible bland movie where little happens and there are only so many times they can get angry before it becomes boring.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You know, we had a lot of criticism towards the guys regarding the ads they had before the show, so I think it is just fair to praise them now. I don't know what exactly they did, but they fit much better into the show now, it is generally pretty funny now and actually help setting the mood for the show. Maybe it's just that they stopped sticking to a script and added more improv, but whatever it was, it really works.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Illinois Smith posted:

Looking at the cast on IMDB for this movie from the year 2000 it has Thora Birch (sure), Marlon Wayans (of course) and also a random Tom Baker cameo (what the poo poo).

Yup, I think he is an elf elder or something?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Hockles posted:

I know this isn't exactly the best place to ask, but was Arrested Development the origin of that joke? (Sound of Silence)

Probably more the Graduate.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The RLM episode about BvS was pretty fun, because the guys are not really comic book fans, so they have little investment in the characters themselves, beyond a general pop culture knowledge. So, the episode was mostly just jokes about a badly made movie and Zack Snyders typical idiosyncrasies instead of either ripping apart or defending the movie.

The WHM on the other hand are huge nerds, so you can expect at least some stuff about both heroes behaving like raging lunatics. But I hope they don't lay on the nerd hate too much, since listening 45 minutes to people getting legitimately angry at a movie is not all that entertaining.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 28, 2016

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BlameSpacePod posted:

I knew this would rub some folks the wrong way. We honestly did NOT plan on doing an episode of BvS. I expected it to be an On Screen but somewhere in the Batman/Superman movie that was nearly as long as Schnindler's List, it snapped into place. If you don't care about BvS and don't mind spoilers, tune in because we do some zany unrelated impressions. I hope you'd find it fun even if you did enjoy your time at the movies. I didn't outright hate Man of Steel, so I didn't come into the movie expecting to hate it, I just ended up hating it. I legit liked Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons as Batman and Alfred. I think Wonder Woman was decent as well. The writing and direction needs to be jettisoned out of an airlock though. End of the story, it's OK to like a movie. It's just a movie. We're just idiots making fun of things.

Thanks guys for the continued support and making me feel like a jerkoff for having stairs in my house or whatever the heck that was. I only checked out these forums because you cinema heroes started this thread and I love you for it.

D&D is a lot of fun and yeah, we don't know D&D much so get ready to fire off some tweets.

Eric

tl;dr why so serious?

Your inability to drop certain angles is funny as gently caress. I am pretty sure you talked more about Burtonworld in your last episode than about the lame rear end movie itself.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Almost all the "famous" wizard spells with names are just anagrams of the dudes who played them. Like Tesner is just Ernest and so on.

The best example is everything that is named after Melf, since it stands literally for Male Elf.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Okay, what is a donkey punch?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, while there are definitely episodes that are funnier than others, even among the earlier ones, I can't really recall a bad one. My advice is, just start with an episode about a movie you actually know. They go on quite a few tangents, at if you aren't used to that and don't know what the movie is actually about, you can get lost.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Count Chocula posted:

What's the best way to listen to old episodes? I've listened to Free Enterprise and MIB2 on the Internet Archive site but there's gotta be a better way.

They have a website, with all their old episodes, save for the very first one: http://www.whmpodcast.com/p/episodes.html

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

enigmahfc posted:

Promo code: HATE

HATE

They get incredible mileage out of that promo code. It really turned the ads from some dreadful experience into an amazing opening act.
HATE

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So I hope you all make sure that live show is loving sold out.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That sound incredible bland. What is the patented twist in this one?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, First Contact is not all that great either. It has some pretty great ideas, especially the Borg invasion of the Enterprise, but that storyline and the one about First Contact clearly should have been separated movies.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
At this point, I really don't want the ads to go. How else would we get stories about Stephen Sajdak and Eric Szyszka sleeping in Andrew Jupin's bed when he is out of town?

edit: HATE

e X fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 16, 2016

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The spooktecular theme is really fantastic.

But, for the latest episode, what is this "prmocode movies" business, though? It's supposed to be promocode HATE! In your own words, you can keep it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Calaveron posted:

They use hate for stuff you can tell they don't like to advertise for

#notmypromocode :colbert:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I really don't know where we all got it from, but their voices are pretty easy distinguishable from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I have no idea how you can listen to an episode and come to the conclusion that this is an actual film criticism podcast. They use movies as a jumping of point for jokes and impressions. They do little to no actual criticism on the show outside of stating their opinions on the movie.