Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Mods change my name to Stephen Sexbot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
:siren:SURPRISE EPISODE:siren:

Andrew and Chris doing a Siskel and Ebert-ish preview for the rest of the year. It's good.

Less "zany" than the usual but it's interesting to hear Chris and Andrew in full on total critic mode.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Violator posted:

Dispatch says December is their biggest month ever and has a special theme they’re announcing via live video in a few weeks.

007? A different Bond each week maybe?

Hard to tell, but there was this info dropped in an interview they did:

Jupin: We have a really big theme month coming up in December. We're not ready to reveal what it is just yet, but it's going to be a big shift and probably piss off a ton of people, so keep your ears peeled!

Marvel movies maybe?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

Is it just me or was this another Stoned Cabin ep?

They mention up the top that they were druuuunk so I think that's why he's slurring his words. Good mailbag. I love hearing semi-mundane behind-the-scenes stories.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
As soon as the backwards theme started, I got a big grin on my face. :perfect:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I know mileage may vary for a lot of people, but Eric as Trump as Biff made me laugh like a maniac.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

From the Wikipedia summary, it sounds like this year's Collateral Beauty.

I gave up reading it because good lord what a load of bullshit.

"This all turns out to be part of an "unreliable Samuel L. Jackson narrator" script that Will is working on in real life, and another narrator continues the story from there. Will then goes to get coffee and starts singing obnoxiously in front of everyone after adding alcohol and xanax to his coffee."

Also, I think it's all but confirmed that Jurassic World 2 and Venom are on the worst of 2018 docket - Jupin posted rewatch pics on his Twitter and I feel that if he's rewatching those...we're in for a treat.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

A Proper Uppercut posted:

My guess would be The Predator, JW2, that one they confirmed, and I dunno.

Oh drat, I totally forgot about The Predator. A lot of geek-heavy review sites wanted it to be good so badly because it was Shane Black and it was Rated-R and so on. Eventually watching them twist themselves into a knot, trying with all their might to wring praise out of it, was more entertaining than the movie itself.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
You look like a slut! And this is coming from a pig man talkin'!

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

That is a way better name than any I could have ever come up with.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Coheed and Camembert posted:

The Big Daddy Dispatch just came out, and this month's slate is stacked. They specifically asked people not to spoil what episode 400 will be, but I'm pretty sure some posters in this thread have requested it before. :allears:

They are coming into 2019 absolutely swinging for the fences and it's amazing to see. They're serious about making this a full-time thing.

Also, they mention that Listener Request Month is coming up, so get those picks ready, folks.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Gleep Glossary is a little rough right now but it'll find it's footing. Eric trying to maintain control over the other guys was pretty funny - it's still pretty strong.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
http://collider.com/best-picture-winners-ranked/

Resident Zoo Expert Chris Cabin is back on his review game. His first review line is "what an absolutely wretched undertaking". :haw:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Fart City posted:

Not only that, but the whole thing was a huge passion project for him. He’d been trying to get it developed for years.

Drew McWeeny talked a little bit about this on HDTGM (on the Toys episode): almost all passion projects turn out crappy because the scripts aren't touched and the sheer investment in vision above anything else doesn't allow for anyone to take a step back and be like "this is a bad, bad idea" or to be like "who is this actually made for". Battlefield Earth springs to mind as another one.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Happytime Murders, FWIW, seems to be the exact opposite of this. Henson's script got a lot of buzz and was apparently a mostly-played-straight neo-noir; the movie we got is flaming poo poo because Melissa McCarthy's husband did a page-one rewrite to turn it into a Melissa McCarthy movie.

Ah, gotcha. Welp, in the words of Andrew Jupin: "That stinks".

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Dunno if this was posted yet but they've announced the movies for "The East Cage Tour"

4/22 - Knowing
4/23 - Gone in 60 Seconds
4/24 - National Treasure
4/25 - The Wicker Man

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The boys are absolutely blessing us with content lately and it's awesome, especially on Patreon, and the occasional bonus episode like the Oscar discussion or On-Screen. I am happy with WHM.

That being said, listening to them earnestly and seriously discussing stuff like Shoplifters and inside-baseball opinions about Netflix on the Oscar ep, was fantastic and genuinely fascinating. If they're looking for more of my cash, I'd pay $10/month for extra episodes of Real Talk With WHM.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
To anyone who might have missed it, the Big Daddy Dispatch confirmed that the next Gleep Glossary will be tackling the backstory of our good friend Sebulba

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Poster's good. (Felipe Sobreiro's work)

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Looking up Tony kebbell was surprising. The guy who was really good opposite Paddy Considine in Dead Man's Shoes??
This is what happened to the guy? I loved Dead Man's Shoes and had literally no idea he was the Doom in F4 (and I saw that fuckin movie!!!)
Looking at his filmography it looks like hes had some solid roles at least.

They rolled their eyes and groaned at him in the Ben-Hur remake but he's the best part of that movie by a country mile.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
According to Andrew's twitter, this is a busy week. Vibes today, On-Screen tomorrow, Lara Croft on Thursday or Friday for Patreon.

:getin:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Eric admitting that his wife was going to kill him for not remembering a Game of Thrones character was a nice little touch :3:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Calaveron posted:

I would pay to have a tier with a video game based show and a got based show where Andrew is tied down listening to Eric and Steve stumbling through retelling the plot and describing the characters

The Mortal Kombat episode established that Andrew just threw the game on immediately without any thought towards story and details. Have Steve and Eric read out of the booklet.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Also, on Cabin and Eric's recommendation that the newest Tomb Raider is a solid fun-for-dumb-babies hangover movie, I checked it out. They're not entirely right, but I was actually surprised at how cohesive and mostly-not-stupid it was. (Also, If you've played the Tomb Raider reboot from 2013, you have absolutely no need to watch the movie.)

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1110176711524712448

:getin:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Hell yes, I was just wondering when we'd get another commentary...I wonder if it's going to be another power hour?

It absolutely will be!

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://twitter.com/NollyNM/status/1110645359271911425

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://mobile.twitter.com/SzyszkaFanatic/status/1111615963110076416

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Live Free or Die Hard is one of those movies I can't defend as good or worthwhile at all, but I still love it with all my heart. Armageddon and Miami Connection are on that list too.

GoutPatrol posted:

I had to look up who that gleep glop was.

Me too, and I was stunned by how weirdly melancholy his backstory is.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
For those of you who do not have The Nexus, WHM has posted the most infamous clip.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Kino Lorber is a company I associate with my earliest Film History 101 classes, including watching some of the first surviving Thomas Edison films.

They are responsible for saving Nosferatu and Metropolis from the the brink of film preservation hell, giving them a wide home-entertainment release.

And now, their greatest triumph has finally come to fruition.

https://www.twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1121799940051734528

I have never preordered something so hard and so fast in my life.

I feel like I am the only one who screams from the internet hell depths that the WHM Tuff Turf episode is a true-blue classic.

It's also such an odd movie that burrows under your skin. It isn't a "bad movie" in the usual sense, it just seems to skate all over the line of what makes something good or bad and doesn't seem to care. It's a drat enigma.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Who were they talking about during the Endgame episode, when Steve goes on that Super-Size Me bit? Chris said he had allegations against him. Morgan Spurlock, or someone else?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://twitter.com/therealsobreiro/status/1130058593896738816

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

They also confirmed that they're doing Species with another guest on social media

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1140016896865177600

This will probably come across as a little preachy and I apologize in advance for any possible derail, but I'm happy that they're getting guests like Angelica or Jamelle Bouie so it's not just "4 white guys bitch about pop culture". That feels like every podcast.

The mailbag with their wives was great, and episodes with Chelsea are solid too. It keeps it fresh and interesting and I'm down for more guests popping up that shake up the demographics a little.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Either Eric worked at - or had a friend who worked at - Barnes and Noble. There was a customer who would carefully take a dump, rolling the turd down their pant leg. Then they would very casually put it between the pages of a random book and put it back on the shelf. It happened multiple times at the same Barnes and Noble.

When I first heard the episode I was laughing so hard, and trying to keep silent in our open-office plan, that the person across from me said "you've either heard the funniest story ever, or just had the worst tragedy ever" because I was shaking with tears rolling down my red tomato face.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I think about "...and before you know it, you're on Vine, falling down an escalator" more than anyone ever had, ever.

(From The Watcher)

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Great Eric line about the music in Terminator: "It's like a Nintendo tugboat coming in to dock."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The Teen Wolf episode was alright. Might have just been the recording but the audience didn't seem too with it. Not a complaint or a criticism, just an observation.

There's something very dedicated - and adorable! - about the people who sat in Steve's Splash Zone the last time sitting in the same spots but with ponchos/rain gear. That's a wholesome fanbase I can get behind.