Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The Doom episode is a joy. Really feels like they put their feet up and free-wheeled the jokes. David Bowie impressions were on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Crowetron posted:

Easy Rider 2 was the first and maybe only time I've heard Eric get more pissed at a movie than anyone else.

I feel like we saw glimmers of this during the Transformers marathon. He was constantly going "are we at the end of this loving movie yet?" or "this is not a movie it's just a bunch of poo poo!"

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Just a taste of Skeleton League hijinks

The fact that this running bit comes from a shot that lasts maybe 1.5 seconds is why I love these guys.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The latest episodes revealing that Chris lives in Connecticut and Eric in a small non-NYC town are annoying because it breaks my image of all of them sleeping in a 4-level bunkbed and fighting over the mirror while brushing their teeth at the same time.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Does anyone know what the scandal with Chris's family that he alludes to every now and then is? I've constantly failed at googling it.

Wait, what? Andrew and Eric mention having "angry dads" that they've kind-of danced around a couple of times, but I don't remember any scandalous allusions.

Invalid Validation posted:

Their movie knowledge seems both bottomless and shallow at the same time.

The reason why this podcast is #1 in my books is because they're actually film geeks who know their poo poo, at least 95% of the time.

The fact that they'll love and call out performances by character actors they see in crappy movies is incredibly endearing. I re-tried listening to "How Did This Get Made?" for the third or fourth time - I don't know why, I'm a glutton for punishment I guess - and it was very clear the three of those hacks could barely follow a barebones boob-comedy plot and basic movie structures, let alone care or know anything about the people in the films themselves.

Cabin shouting out Ward Bond as an early film hero in the "It's A Wonderful Life" episode is a good example of how the WHM boys can be great this way.

Anyways, rant over. These guys are a light in the current storm so I guess I'm just a little more emotional about it.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

I still cannot believe they made a movie where Lestat starts a NU METAL band. I actually had to check Wikipedia to make sure that was real.

https://twitter.com/SzyszkaFanatic/status/1244579495979307008

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Looks like the At World's End episode is going to have some slash fiction, unless Ben's joining them for The Nexus.

https://twitter.com/jupin/status/1260839807883894784

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

DoubleCakes posted:

Was Amir their first guest for Melr0210? He was pretty good. He brings a very different energy than the WHM guys but he's still funny.

Steve's wife was on one, I think. The 90210 fashion show episode? Can't remember.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
If you missed the Can't Hardly Wait stream last night, you missed Cabin greening out in real time.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm glad these guys have an episode on Yesterday because I thought it was a big nothing of a film. A flat turd. Such a fun premise with many chances to take off, but never went anywhere probably more due to the script than Boyle's direction.

Apparently the original script was a touch edgier - the main guy only gets SLIGHTLY more famous because kids these days aren't into Beatles-style music - but hiring Richard "Love Actually" Curtis as producer turned it into a rom-com. It stinks.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Toy Soldiers episode was great. Was happy as hell they got to do this one.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Cabin's been pretty on fire these past few episodes.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
For those who skip the mailbags...don't. Eric and his delivery of "tell someone in power" in the latest is BEAUTIFUL.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

You know, I'm really glad that WHM has a minimal amount of ads. I've been noticing that a lot of podcasts will have a good 20 minutes worth of ads per episode, and it's really starting to get aggravating.

I remember the early-middle days of SModcast (oof - I was younger, that's my only excuse) having almost 20 minute ads at the start because Kevin Smith would get going on these stoned tangents that built their own 3-part narrative that would continue into the next week of commercials and it was the least funny poo poo on earth. An episode would be listed as an hour long but it was really half-an-hour because of all his poo poo.

So WHM continues to rule because they read the copy and get in and out. When they're promoting a live show, I'll listen, because they're basically relaxed and working jokes in like they do on the show.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://twitter.com/stephensajdak/status/1326200487746691072

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm super surprised they haven't done a WLM on Roger Rabbit yet considering how much they reference it. The Citizen Kane/Roger Rabbit mashup they did in the latest episode was giving me some good laughs.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
"Billy Wilder could come back from the dead having written a movie just for her and she would loving fail at it!"

:drat: :drat: :drat:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://mobile.twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1349753325370142720

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I think there's also a decent consistency with WHM's Patreon too, same with their feed. It does feel like you're getting something generally every one-and-a-half weeks. Also - and I wonder how they feel about this - all the stuff they promised to keep shorter like the Mando Half Hour, etc. ended up ballooning to regular episode size anyways so they're definitely providing lots of stuff for the money.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Soup du Jour posted:

BDD announcing a new patreon tier with Melr0210 and ONCE IN A LIFETIME AT LONG loving LAST

Copy-pasted from the email, for those interested:

Starting this February we'll be releasing a brand new Nexus style (covering one episode of each show) episode each month. We already recorded our inaugural episode and with no false modesty, we can say this is a SUPER SIZED, BARN BURNER to get started on. To make sure of this we jumped forward a few episodes in each series to pick up on a pair of bangers. You're not going to want to miss this!

This will be on our $10.00 tier, and the exciting thing is, it won't just have MelR0210. Our $8.00 tier was bursting at the seams, so while all the perks and show recaps that you loved on that tier will stay there, ANY NEW TV Recaps and Special Presentations will be put on this new $10.00 tier. We have big some plans coming and we can confidently announce that the Disney+ Ben Kenobi recap show will be on this tier, as well as a The Book of Boba Fett recap show, and...and coming in March we'll be releasing our take on HBOMax's Zack Snyder's Justice League! This tier will also feature the long-awaited Once in a Lifetime, a show where we go through a different Lifetime movie every episode—this show will drop every-other month starting in April!

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I feel like this is the thing that convinces any hold-outs for the Patreon. If you aren't willing to throw down cash for all of that, you were never going to subscribe to begin with.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
If anyone's still interested in Leguizamo chat, he does a career retrospective here.

There's some honesty in there, but I feel like he's holding back when talking about Super Mario or The Pest.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I had fallen off the show for a while but coming back to the 1-2-3 punches of Thor, Clash, and American Pie have me all in. Just a stellar string of episodes.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://twitter.com/Crabin/status/1564635176218525704

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://twitter.com/jupin/status/1574449170559238144

Jupin hinting at something pretty interesting. Maybe a few "new movie reviews" similar to their Oscar coverage from back in the day?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I really like WLM episodes, and love The Royal Tenenbaums as a movie, but every criticism people have of the episodes just repeating lines and running out of ways of saying things are great are completely valid for this episode.

I had a good time with the episode but yeah I can see why folks sour on WLM.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
For the Melr0210 folks, their new character(?) Jimlan had me laughing my rear end off on the train yesterday.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1605273585592967206

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm a big supporter of the guys but the fact that this is the only podcast I really listen to anymore is wearing on me. Spymate episode felt lifeless/listless/forgettable (with some good stuff peppered throughout). I'll probably end my Patreon support the end of next month and come back to them in the future. Been eating too much ice cream lately, as it were, and now I'm getting sick of ice cream.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The boys have mentioned The Flash as being a total shoo-in for January, and as far as I know, Eric is saving his viewing for then.

Considering how he's the angry one when they do CG nonsense nightmares like Transformers or Suicide Squad, it'll be interesting to see how completely furious he is for that episode. Feels like a movie specifically designed to press all his buttons.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
From The Purge episode:

Eric: Think about the zoo, Chris.
Chris: The zoo?
Eric: You and your freaks could descend upon that and start going through those animals.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The stakes for winning the VHS trailer game couldn't be higher.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Also, very much a Chris Cabin episode. Dude seems to love Thrawn lol

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The Oppenheimer episode is either going to be hilarious or terrible.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Cael posted:

A (light) recommend: to anyone who doesn't use Letterboxd, make an account solely so you can follow the gang. It's fun supplemental material to the podcast, as I like reading their earnest opinions about a bunch of the stuff they watch. I always appreciate their opinions because like or hate something, they're always both funny and thoughtful about it.

Cabin lets himself off the chain here, in increasingly powerful ways. Pro-follow.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Porkins returning as a force ghost to guide the kids (to the better food options) in The Wizard.

Cabin's "Throbber" comment in It's A Wonderful Life being met with disgust, but by the end of the episode everyone's been using it constantly.

The gag during a recent Mailbag episode where the guy was desperate to see The Hunger Games and this really impressing Jennifer Lawrence.

Holly Hunter: Dixiecrat Piss Ghost from Batman v Superman.

Melro210's Billy Campbell impression starting out as mean affectation, evolving into Billy being the dumbest man in the history of the universe.

Skeleton League.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
More gags/bits/moments I remember and love:

In Sidekicks, rather than seeing Chuck Norris hallucinations, Eric sees character actor Gerrit Graham. "Don't call him a nobody!"

Learning the hard way what happens when you party with Jack Mack from Tuff Turf.

Can't remember the specific episode, but after an accident at an old apartment, Andrew reveals that his landlord/building manager was Jared Kushner.

On a Melro210 episode (I think), Andrew and Steve tell the story of the world's biggest Tootsie Pop during their college days.

Eric fighting to get Masterminds the respect he thinks it deserves.

Chris telling the story of what happened the moment he passed his driving test.

Patrick Stewart and the cast of TNG hypothetically attending the premiere of Samurai Cop.

Steve having a speech from The Devil's Advocate downloaded to his mp3 player and Andrew being disgusted by this fact.

"I just like the idea of Shrek reading a newspaper" - Ben Worcester, Puss in Boots episode.

A mailbag reader sending a story in about someone who would leave turds in closed books at the bookstore they worked at, with Eric screaming about how it was a reign of terror by the Joker.

Years and years and years of laughs. I started listening to them at the Batman v Superman episode because I was the only one at my office who hated that movie, and needed validation/seething time because all the comic book sycophants I worked with thought it was the best movie since the last comic book movie.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

Really curious to see what they pick for the WLM.

I suspect some of the WHM prime episodes will be borderline WLM episodes too.

Wall Street for WLM? Platoon might be a touch too heavy to riff on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Completely forgot until just this moment that Wall Street got a legacy-sequel in 2010. Jeez.