Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I hate live episodes of almost any podcast. It completely throws off the flow and conversational nature of the podcasts and you have people playing to the audience instead of just riffing on each other and making each other crack up. For an example of how much better non-live episodes are, listen to the HDTGM Pete Holmes episode of 88 Minutes where they're cracking each other up and egging each other on to get more and more ridiculous. Then listen to the live episode he's in for Can't Stop The Music where everyone is just talking over each other or giving up on jokes because the audience isn't reacting. It doesn't help that the HDTGM audience is very cringe-worthy and you can feel how much Jason hates them and wants them to die in most episodes.

I miss the non-live HDTGM episode dynamic. Thank goodness for WHM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

i enjoyed the episode, but then again I have no intentions of watching/defending the feature film based on a 90s kid's show with Rita Repulsa enjoying delicious Krispy Kreme doughnuts™. I'm sorry my standards for bad movie podcasts are so low and loathsome, unlike the more cultured Power Rangers fans among us.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

No idea what the guys mean by Joe Piscopo turning it up to 11, he's full of nuanced acting in this film.

Sidekicks rules

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

For some reason I had convinced myself they had done The Pest. After checking the episode list, I know what I have to request in the future.

....It's The Pest.

Don't do that to another human being. The opening 3 minutes alone is one of the most harrowing cinema experiences of my life

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I've listened to a lot of eps but still have plenty in the backlog. What episode is the creation of the Gallagher "I can do ______, Mark!" joke? I always laugh at it but I have no idea where it even originated from.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Transformers 3 is literally the only movie in my entire life I have ever fallen asleep in a theater while viewing. I didn't see Transformers 2 at all and got invited to 3 by a friend, I wasn't even tired but the movie's vast quantities of NOTHING just made my brain shut down.

I didn't think I missed anything by skipping Transformers 2, but the episode WHM did on it did at least make me search online to confirm that Sam's mother has a line saying that she heard her son lose his cherry to his girlfriend the previous summer. What the gently caress?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I liked that the Tom Jane Punisher just had him utterly destroy John Travolta at the end. So often in these films, the bad guy is a rich weakling who sends his thugs and his big heavy after the hero, but you have to have a final confrontation anyway, during which the weakling boss inexplicably has the fighting ability to go toe to toe with the hero for a few minutes. I'm thinking of Darkman and John Wick among others (I like those films a lot).

Punisher doesn't bother giving Travolta even a moment of standing toe to toe with Frank Castle. He gets out drawn, shot in the gut, spins around in a hilarious Travolta fashion, gets mocked by the Punisher for killing his wife and friend, then tied to an exploding car while he whimpers and cries engulfed in CGI fire. I find it awesomely hilarious.

But the rest of the movie is pretty bad but still enjoyable. The movie is just....weird. A mish mash of 70s revenge flicks, fire hydrant pranks, and misplaced Welcome Back Frank elements. It also feels hacked to pieces. I don't think a full cut would be better, but maybe the tone wouldn't radically shift every 5 minutes.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

It's also incredibly weird how bright and sunny the movie is. I know the grim and gritty dark aesthetic is worn out, but of all the characters who almost need it to function, it's The Punisher. This film features entire families being shot and run down, guitar assassin fights, Russians mauling guys, and the Punisher trying to give his moody credo, all in beautiful Florida sunlight. It's so loving ODD. I think that's why it works well for an episode, the movie is just bizarre in so many ways.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I think HDTGM killed itself by moving to the live format. Playing to and reacting to an audience just fucks up so much. Removes the fun vibe of friends in a room together ripping on a bad movie. Instead you get bad jokes playing to a crowd and awkward silences when a crowd is bad.

It takes a really good guest and movie to save HDTGM now. I've been kind of worried by more live eps of WHM for the same reasons. I don't begrudge the hosts the opportunity to go on the road and make money, but live episodes are typically worse.

I haven't been able to get through a single episode of The Flop House. No idea why, I listen to a lot of podcasts, but one of the guys on that show has one of the most intensely annoying voices I've ever heard.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I requested this HBO 90's classic:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The How Did This Get Made episode on The Love Guru is one of their earliest ones and actually kind of funny and does more of a job describing the plot. But the people react to it the same as the WHM Crew. Everyone who sees The Love Guru is just befuddled at how aggressively unfunny and drawn out it is about everything. Never has 90 minutes felt longer.

I feel like Master of Disguise is similarly befuddling but not as offensive. But every moment you watch it you're still thinking "How was this made and approved and released?"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Imagine puppets saying curse words being the passion project you've worked so hard to realize, finally getting it done in 2018. Even though this had been done extensively by many other people to the point of un-funniness for the past 60 years. I wonder if he was stewing in rage as he saw things like Crank Yankers, Meet the Feebles, and Wonder Showzen, knowing that some day he'd get to show these philistines what puppet ejaculation is all about.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

A lot of these Black List films have provided great WHM episodes. The Last Witch Hunter, Life Itself, Wild Hogs, Dracula Untold, Dirty Grandpa, and Transcendence. If the movies end up great, cool beans, if they're awful we get a WHM episode on them. Win win

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Calaveron posted:

What the gently caress is Brian Henson’s problem

Maybe you should try walking a mile in his puppet loving shoes a bit before you are so quick to judge. (He definitely hosed a puppet)

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

February schedule:
Episode 403 — Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Episode 404 — Bad Boys (PATREON ONLY)
Episode 405 — What Women Want
Episode 406 — Valentine (2001)
Episode 407 — The Island (2005)

Patreon Episodes:
Animation Damnation — Darkwing Duck: "Twin Beaks" (s1, e8)
The Nexus — TOS: "The Alternative Factor" (s1, e27) & TNG: "Where Silence Has Lease" (s2, e2)
Gleep Glossary: A Star Wars Story — Doctor Evazan and Ponda Baba

Very excited for Evazan and good ole Ponda Baba

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Tales of the Bounty Hunters taught me that Boba Fett is a loser and that Dengar FUCKS

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Next year for listener request on The Nexus I'm submitting some of the awful fan films they've paid original cast members to be in

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Now I just want a David Paymer month with such classics as Carpool, Payback, Bait, Mighty Joe Young, etc.

I know no one else in the world watched this, but there was an early 2000s show called Line of Fire where David Paymer was the lead villain of the whole thing, playing a powerful mafia boss. He was great at it actually, very menacing and evil. A very good example of casting against type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzu7fCKju1g

Tato fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 27, 2019

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

God, Striperella sounds so much worse than I remembered. I don't think I saw any of it or Gary the Rat through. Like Stephen, I too was high and enthused to check out the premiere of the Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon.

I changed the channel 10 minutes later.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

They way they describe the Shrek movies makes them sound like the "Teen Movie/Superhero Movie/Scary Movie/" Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer parodies, but somehow even lazier. Like, they don't even parody have the stuff, it's just "here's a reference."

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Don't just stare at it, Donkey. EAT IT

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Whoolighams posted:

Meet the Spartans was on in the background of a party I went to in high school and the only part I remember seeing was when the fat guy from Borat turned into a Transformer that began to play the "leave Britney alone" video on his robo-chest. christ.

Jesus christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkInPAWjtPg

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Final Destination is good. I can only hope someone Gs my D before they D my G.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I think a sequel also brings up that once Death decides he's pissed at you, you're not allowed to change the order. Some guy tries to shoot himself in the head and the gun won't fire because it's not his order to be killed yet.

Death really seems to stick it to the people in these films, probably because he went to so much work setting up the ornate disasters at the beginning and then some dumb kid fucks it up. He had to set poo poo up for weeks to get all those kids on that highway and then it gets ruined. I assume that's why Death specifically avoids food poisoning, disease, or easy poo poo like that, although I do think one kid gets an aneurysm in some Final Destination film.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Still thinking about 'Brokeback Moontain" and chuckling

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I personally have no issues with Jason using a bow and arrow. I guess it's weird for Jason to use projectiles, but he did use a speargun in Part 3. Makes sense he knows how to use a bow - he went to camp!

The only thing that could have made it better was if Jason did a Kevin McCalister "YES" fist pump

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Chris seemed to heavily hint that Rambo - Last Blood may be one of the worst of 2019, but may be too repugnant to be covered on the show.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Does it have any lines in it as awe-inspiring as "Why don't you boys pack up your poo poo and head back to Fuckheadistan?"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Requesting "Real Men" for yet another year. A 90s HBO staple free to stream on YouTube. Jim Belushi being stripped down and whipped by a dominatrix had tremendous traumatic impact on me during my formative years.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The impressions made Cool As Ice a classic episode.

“Yo what’s it like converting food into energy and poo poo?”

“These sucka MCs can’t gently caress these horses!”

Also, I too hope the 90210/Melrose thing continues post Covid in some fashion. Wish I could read those angry Cabin texts as he watches them.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

But....The Mummy is good? Regardless it should be fun.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I found both The Mummy and The Mummy Returns to be fun in an Army of Darkness type way, but obviously not as good or Three Stooges zany. The computer effects were indeed bad even at the time though.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Yeah, but it was YEARS after the second one and Rachel Weisz wasn't even in it, so no one cared. They squandered all the momentum on the Scorpion King stuff (of which there are now FIVE movies)

enigmahfc posted:

The Mummy isn't a GOOD movie, but it's a kinda fun movie that is dumb, and it sorta knows it but doesn't lean in to that enough so it has a weird tone that's hard to pin down.

Yeah, that's how I feel about it. It tries to have it both ways and doesn't commit as fully as it could to the dumb stuff since it's a major studio film. It needs that extra shove into absurdity that you get with Army of Darkness.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The worst thing about The Mummy films are how they physically ravaged poor Mr. Fraser. Glad he’s back in multiple shows now.

Also I think the Scorpion King franchise just exists as a charity to employ ex MMA and wrestler guys.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Very important addition to the schedule

Episode 490 — Shrek the Third

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Request lines are open. I continue my quest to make the boys watch Real Men so they can see James Belushi half naked getting whipped by a dominatrix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ3as6Vf1ao

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The most shocking thing about Fantasy Island is that Nic Cage turned down a role (per the Tribune). I didn't think that was possible.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I'll have to think of another WLM as I learned this year that none of the guys have seen Flash Gordon :(

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Is Feb the request month or March? I requested the WLM movie for Feb, so I'm pleased either way.

Tato fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The boys continue to be baffled by the existence of the chili. I don't buy it, but there's clearly an audience for it.