Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

There's a new mailbag out! This one needs the same neon-on-bricks We Hate Movies Nights logo that they proposed for Blame it on Rio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

They started using the Hurrah A Bolt Of Light theme (which one hundred percent rocks) when they started putting their stuff on iTunes, probably just to nip any potential problems in the bud

Edit: ^^^ or that

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You could probably make a decent drinking game of taking a drink every time We Hate Movies mentions the Scoleri Brothers scene in Ghostbusters 2

Or every time The Flophouse mentions the Scoleri brothers. New York area bad movie podcasts just love talkin' Ghostbusters 2.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Follow that up with the Hamburger: The Motion Picture episode for the return of Ventura/Abraxis.

That's a great movie for kids, it teaches then how to count tens

Ten... twenty... thirty...

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

The Pallbearer, which features my fave WHM character.

:smithcloud:

Aside from the aforementioned, some of my favorites are:

Pray for Death: ninja goes on blood vendetta; also might be a Batman
Tuff Turf: "I'm not having a hard time making fun of this movie, 'cause it's a bad, stupid movie, but this is a GREAT fuckin' movie!"
Blame it on Rio: I have never in my life heard a group of people more uncomfortable with describing the plot of a film
Addicted to Love: the second most uncomfortable I've ever heard a group of people describing the plot of a film
Buried Alive: for, uh, no particular reason or anything :shobon:

If you're just scrolling around their episodes list and don't know what to pick, good starting points are always holiday movies, family movies or anything that's made-for-tv. They're at their best when ranting about a movie that doesn't know how hosed up it is.

Edit: Evil Mastermind beat me to my first two in the time it took me to hunt down those links and listen to a bunch of clips (:mad:) so here's a couple more:

The Core: unobtanium, cry-hacking, nine thousand degrees
Easy Rider: The Ride Back: a different kind of you shtole mah story

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 7, 2015

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Edit: ^^ We Hate Movies Nights :c00l:

bobkatt013 posted:

It is Face Off

I thought they said it wasn't the movie I was thinking of but that's the movie I'm always thinking of :confused:

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 7, 2015

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I'm A big Woo nerd and, yeah, his US efforts are all below the standards set by his Hong Kong releases. If anyone here has never seen any, I can't recommend enough that you track down The Killer, Hard Boiled and A Better Tomorrow. Bullet in the Head is also classic, but set aside a solid block of time to get real sad - it's depressing for a Woo film, which is like being extra salty by the standards of rock salt.

I got super excited when they said they were doing a Belushi film, then instantly disappointed when they said it wasn't Retroactive. That movie is a-list WHM material.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

True about Better Tomorrow 2, but I couldn't remember if it was 2 or 3 when Woo left the series and didn't want to look a fool - some big fan I am :v:

Retroactive does feature Shannon Whirry, but more importantly, it features one James Belushi playing the same exact character he always plays, with the catch being that he's finally, appropriately, treated like a villain.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

200th episode is up!

Edit: I am twenty seven minutes in and at least one third of the run time has been impressions of Jim Belushi involved in various circle jerks oh god it doesn't stop :ohdear:

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 21, 2015

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I always enjoy the WHM guests, but the show certainly doesn't need guests. They're a fun change of pace here and there, though.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Hey, WHM snagged an interview with Gilbert Gottfried.
This was fantastic, and reminds me that I really should be listening to Gottfreid's podcast

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I'm kinda curious what big development they were referring to on their Twitter feed. Whatever it is, I hope they don't stop podcasting

They claim the announcement to be "super cool" and that would be the opposite of super cool, so I think we're in the clear

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Jim Belushi is joining as a new host.

:smug: Hey fellas, heard you're treatin' women, queers and ethnics like actual human beings, thought I'd come down here and straighten you out on a few points :smug:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I'd rather listen to WHM be funny instead of Paul Scheer not be funny, and I can skip them both just as easily

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I saw Stealth in theaters, and that thing became a beautiful hate-watch in a hurry. Imagine if the same disregard for facts and reality from The Core was applied to aeronautics, ballistics, artificial intelligence, the Korean DMZ and music piracy of all goddamn things. I've been meaning to rewatch it lately, maybe this'll be my motivating excuse.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I know a lot about The Master of Disguise thanks to the internet, but I've never actually seen it. That changes... tonight ! ! !

Ror posted:

I'm intrigued but I don't think there's a glass of water tall enough for that poo poo.
Oh we'll just see about that :okpos:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Okay so I normally hate double posting but right now I hate everything so it balances out

I wrote down every time I laughed while watching Master of Disguise from beginning until the last goddamn frame:

18 minutes: Abraham Lincoln is shown bombing during a speech so a Disguisey in a Lincoln costume swaps places with him and turns the party out; it goes on just long enough for me to reconsider if it was ever funny before it had a chance to end.

36 minutes: Jennifer Esposito gives Dana Carvey a clue while telling him some background information. When he looks at the clue, he hears what she just said in a voice-over, then goes "Do you remember that thing you once said about blah blah blah..." I actually forgot what the joke here was because I just wrote down the timestamp so that shows how desperate I was to laugh.

60 minutes: Jennifer Esposito goes in for a kiss while Dana Carvey is rambling about god knows what. He rambles straight through her kiss, then kisses the air where she used to be. It's a little Actually Cute and might have worked as a throwaway joke in a Woody Allen movie.

The 70 minute runtime with 10 minutes of credits makes it sound like this would be a lean movie, but the weird cuts and total lack of continuity hints at some five hour epic that was filmed where this was the only remotely presentable material. I wonder if all the original footage still exists, or if the ground beneath it gave way as Hell could not bear to be without its purest creation.

Edit: and to the point of the thesis, no, ain't a glass tall enough, ain't a water icy cold enough

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 4, 2015

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Easy Rider 2 is an insult to Easy Rider, while Master of Disguise is an insult to humor, art, film and human expression as a whole

Sidenote: SwiftKey followed my writing "master of disguise is" by suggesting "unwatchable" so SwiftKey knows what's up :respek:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I decided I should watch Stealth tonight because I'm a loving idiot, and there came a point where I was wistfully remembering how Master of Disguise was only 80 minutes long

121 god drat minutes aka As Long As Star Wars

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Stealth can melt steel beams, check your facts people

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

You shouldn't. It's an awful nothing of a movie.

Awful nothing is underselling it just a touch, I mean the costumes and sets and fun, plus it gave us this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIt0VY7Yg2w

If nothing else, watch the first few minutes of Annihilation after watching the ending to the first. The two so naturally dovetail, it's just a work of art.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I've already got mine lined up, because I was going to suggest it last year before it occurred to me how perfect Buried Alive was for the show. But, basically, I've got to hear them tear into Christmas Do-Over. It's in that subgenre of "let's get rid of mom's new boyfriend" family movies that they hold so dear, except mom's new boyfriend is an actual earthbound saint and Jay Mohr is the reprehensible protagonist. It's pure, refined discomfort.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

precision posted:

2005 was a weird year for me, so I had no idea that Stealth was even a movie that existed.

:stare: Holy poo poo.

I wanted to address this earlier but I forgot so, here, please enjoy this actual real screengrab from the movie, showing a village getting covered in radioactive dust

That's not supposed to be a computer recreation or just a quick shot as the camera pans, this lingers for long enough that you can practically make out the Google Earth watermark.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

So am I the only one who's actually seen Son of the Mask? I didn't see it in theaters, but it was on cable a lot.

User-Friendly posted:

I've seen it on cable. Horrible, horrible movie.
Well that's just goddamn irresponsible, airing that thing on cable. That's like airing a two hour Silver Shamrock commercial. Kids all over the country were melting into insects and snakes while Jamie Kennedy drank baby piss.

Son of the Mask sounds like it'd make a great triple feature with The Master of Disguise and the sweet release of death.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Chris showed them that scene; just this choir of throaty "WHAT"s with intermittent beats of cold sweat and pearl clutching

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

quote:

Terrible movie don't watch, too late on that one. Everyone and their dog has and I have. I love it. Have a nice night. Don't watch you, oh wait I mean listen. I probably won't be, you suck. Badly. I'll tell you what's terrible, your site and you. Have a nice night. Did I mention you suck and are terrible, good. I hope I have. The Mask, The Lost World, Space Jam, This, you've got to be kidding me with you losers.

I have a new favorite WHM episode comment :allears:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Ah, Surge. Buy it rip-roarin' hot, cool it back home. The 90s :allears:

Oh uh also Dragonheart is up

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Yeah, that guy posting as Eric, I'm pretty sure that's actually Secundus.

Well I mean you have to wonder with a name like Eric Szyszkundus

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Cloudy the anthropomorphic rain cloud that follows David Schwimmer around is one of cinema's greatest characters.

Michael Massee's Garbage Island should be its own program, where he invites celebrities to his floating mound of rot and berates them for their wealth while threatening to masturbate to the thought of their encounter later.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Mucktron posted:

Sometimes their jokes that make me :cry: are the best ones.

The Jim Belushi circle-jerk derails in Red Heat :stonklol:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Oh dammit :( I love Cabin's flabbergasted outrage at things I would never have noticed, but at least we had that beautiful moment in Son of the Mask during the Blockbuster month before he left

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Sounds good on this end, but now I really want to hear a schmoyoho WHM tune

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Certain media players don't like certain encodings, I've run into that before. Alcohollywood episodes would stutter and eventually stop producing audio on my old burner Android phone. Only Alcohollywood episodes, only that phone.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

"You'll get the chair, Longstocking! THE CHAIR!"

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Listening to Easy Rider: The Ride Back and just loving that Chris hasn't expressed a thought at an emotional pitch below "barely-restrained violence" the entire time

~*~missin u already #iheartcrabin~*~

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I didn't call in Christmas Do Over, either. I wrote out a pitch for it, and actually got a far as punching the number into my phone, but then I felt guilty because they did one of mine already and there's other people that have called several times and haven't been picked yet :ohdear:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

If you've never seen The Island of Dr. Moreau then please correct that oversight as soon as sandwichly possible

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

JT Smiley posted:

Which episode was that?

Buried Alive - it was always one of those movies where I'd catch it on cable while channel surfing, get totally transfixed by its insanity, then not shut up about it for a week and a half. Highly recommended movie, if you can find a copy.

Oh, and the episode is great, too :v:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

I love when they do a movie I've never seen before and I'm genuinely shocked at something in it. Pretty sure my jaw hit the floor when they revealed that Brainscan actually does the "it was all a dream!" ending.

I saw Brainscan a couple of months ago, and actually started an argument with my TV when the ending happened. It's so much worse since it keeps going for another ten minutes with THREE separate "or was it!?!"s - the photos in the girl's room, the Trickster in the principal's office, the dog finding the foot. Not like the movie played by it's own rules, anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Jiro posted:

Wasn't there a best of the worst episode done that had it as one of three? I gotta find this. October always sends me into a frenzy to find the most schlocky of 80s horror/softcore/slasher/ROWSDOWER

They did one on Death Spa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgbB9ORqRg