Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Cael posted:

Was literally about to post that. That's a good upcoming month. I cannot wait to hear the rage during the Nexus.

What's wrong with the episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

Griffin is a great guest and everyone should try Blank Check, it does not cover the same ground as WHM and is also less of a comedy podcast.

Yep. Really enjoyed this episode and the guys had great chemistry with Griffin. A lot of fun and great episode. I’ve had Blank Check in my podcast app but never got around to listening to it, I’ll definitely have to start based on how much I like Griffin in this episode. I think the guys were really on point and had a lot of great comedy on this episode.

Violator
May 15, 2003

SkeletonHero posted:

There is a Power Stone-esque Shrek fighting game that is actually super deep and technical and has a thriving underground tourney scene.

Dang, you weren't joking:

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/qky3ax/how-the-internet-accidentally-made-shrek-superslam-into-an-esport

Violator
May 15, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing I've honestly always wondered is why Death has to make it look like an accident. Is he worried that the FBI's going to get on his case and bring him in?

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled and all that.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, you just need to watch it. There's nothing in the movie that is like holy poo poo wacky, but it just all adds up to something super duper strange.

I actually have a soft spot for movies about the ocean, fishing boats, coastal towns, lighthouses, etc. so I actually really liked the first 2/3 of the movie. If there had been no twist or if the twist was anything else then I would have loved the movie. Like if he was a stranded time traveler and he was marking the daily solar and ocean cycles so he could piece together where he was based on his scattershot memory or something, that would be neat. Like there was a time machine or a space ship at certain coordinates that he couldn't quite remember, and "Justice" was the ship and not a fish that he was obsessed with finding, and he was a drunk because he would never get back to his family, that would be neat even if formulaic.

But the movie as-is makes no sense: what graphics we see reflected in the screen look like The Sims or that Dreamcast fishing game. The emotional union at the end is between a boy and a computer program, not the boy and his dead father. There's no VR or mind meld that we're aware of, so the kid is literally just piloting his little avatar to his father's avatar on a computer screen. It's all dumb, but I loved the scenery, coastline, fields, boats, rain storms, etc.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Man, at this point they should just be putting on lapel mics and recording themselves or something. I don't think I've ever heard a live show that sounded great and most of them sound terrible. Didn't Eric record one on his phone recently because the club's audio setup was so bad? I know it's easy to sit here and say "they should do this and spend money!" but they're literally losing episodes because the tech setups at these locations are apparently terrible.

You can find decently rated intro setups with eight mics at B&H photo for about $400. Pipe that into a laptop and you'd at least have SOMETHING to fall back on if the club drops the ball.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1135386-REG/vocopro_udh_play_8_eight_channel_uhf_dsp.html

Edit: And this is coming from someone who loves their regular production values. For the years and years I've listened to them their audio quality is top notch and I've always been super impressed how they sound. When other shows sounded like crap, they were some of the relatively early folks who invested in microphones that made them sound great.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I haven’t listened to the episode yet, but it’s probably dynamic ad insertion for files hosted by headgum. The WHM ad reads are likely in the audio file and then the server dynamically inserts ads as well. If the website hosts the files separately than how they are served in the podcast feed then those wouldn’t have the dynamic ads.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Firstborn posted:

I don't have tweetbook, but can someone let Steve know that the director of Jason Goes to Hell is legit making a movie about Creighton Duke, aka Jason's Van Helsing?

What’s up with this? I can’t find any info on it.

I did see there is a documentary about Jason Goes To Hell coming out. Should be interesting, but I don’t know what else they can do that’s better than that eight hour documentary that came out a few years ago.

Violator
May 15, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

Would you say he's the Joker of podcast hosts?

I really, really don't know why but that cracks me up every time and I was super glad to hear a callback to it on the Blank Check Manhunter episode.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I need to give more of the commentaries a try. I didn’t like the Nightmare on Elm Street one because it felt mostly like a couple of dudes drinking and saying “Oh my god look at this! *laughing*” without much insight or comedy. I think this is a general problem with movies they not only dislike, but look down on.

I’ve seen people say that the Commando one is better because Steve’s experiencing it for the first time.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, I like the video content of some things on YT. Keep the main shows on the podcast and add special stuff like mailbags to YT so you can see their beautiful faces.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I stumbled upon The Projection Booth podcast and really enjoy it. It’s straight up analysis, but they do a good job. It’s one host with rotating guests. Andrew appears on The Changeling episode to discuss his favorite horror movie.

It’s the kind of podcast that does a 4.5 hour episode analyzing Exorcism II: The Heretic, which is extremely up my alley. :heysexy:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Eric not being able to read numbers in the Taking of Pelham episode was very humanizing. Knock that Adonis down a notch!

Violator
May 15, 2003

gently caress yes, that’s awesome. A little ray of positivity every month will be welcomed. There’s so many movies for them to do a positive riff on and I loved the month of WLM last year.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Going down to the VW dealership to gently caress tore me up for some reason.

Violator
May 15, 2003

They’re part of a network so I don’t think advertisers can directly leave them. Do they still have the Headgum stinger or whatever it was?

Violator
May 15, 2003

I will admit there were a few episodes I skipped recently. Romantic comedies and comedies in general just don’t do it for me very often unless they’re off the wall insane like Blame it on Rio or Weekend at Bernie’s. Late 90s and 00s romantics just aren’t my favorite.

I love when they do horror, action, drama, thriller, etc. But you could consider that more on me than on them because it’s my own taste in movies that’s keeping me from listening and not the quality of their show.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Love the new art. Glad to see everything is looking more polished and visually consistent across platforms.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

Has anyone seen their improv movies? I remember the early eps constantly plugging the private cabin collective and it seems to have faded to nothing. I’m pretty lazy, are they any good?

From what I remember from the trailers they were mumblecore and filmed using consumer DV cameras so they weren’t super easy to watch.

Violator
May 15, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

"Coming next week: Friday The 13th! ...(2009)"

Nailed that reveal.

Ah drat, I actually like that movie and they've said previously they don't. I know it's OK to like things, but when they really don't like something they get all nitpicky on weird trivial stuff and I've found it annoying in the past. This goes for movies I don't like either; if they get in a bad mood or are too vindictive it kinda sours the episode.

It's not the best Friday the 13th movie because they went the wrong direction with the characters (ie, they're a bunch of terrible people like in Part 7 instead of a bunch of silly friendly teens like in Part 2 or 4), but I think it's by far the best version of Jason in the entire series.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Marin Karin posted:

But as a franchise, holy poo poo is it the most watchable and entertaining of them all. I'd rather watch Roy: The Movie than Michael Myers' cult nonsense, or Freddy spouting things to put on a t-shirt. Sometimes you just wanna chill and watch Jason, the most unproblematic slasher, teleport around while the entire cast is high as balls on coke and 80's fashion.

This is exactly right.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Heck yeah, F13 reboot getting a bit of love. Was nice hearing Andrew defend some story elements and aspects of it. It's not a perfect film but I think it's great for what it's trying to do and is much stronger than JGTH, Jason X, Manhattan, Roy: The Movie, and The New Blood for the most part.

I personally love Jason in it and enjoy a lot of the movie, but I can understand preferring a different interpretation of Jason. In the early movies he would run, set traps, use hunting gear, etc. so I like that they amplified that stuff in the reboot. But for a lot of people they prefer slow zombie Jason and I can't argue with that personal preference.

Edit: Watching it again this morning for Oct 1 and noticed that you can see the pickup truck from the end outside the barn while the dude is passing out flyers in the beginning. I couldn't tell in the dark at the end, but the spears on the rear of the truck are actually for hauling hay I think. Ties back into Part 3 and the hay scene. And the guy driving the pickup truck is the old man the hillbilly is complaining about earlier.

I know, I know, who the gently caress cares but I thought it was neat.

Violator fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 1, 2019

Violator
May 15, 2003

Tart Kitty posted:

I am like 99% certain they have, but can't recall episode or context.

Martin Cinemax is essentially the core idea of Mr. Skin writ large though.

Yeah, they riffed on it. I think it was in the context of there should be one that just shows naked guys, and something about boob boats?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is the audio messed up for anyone else? I’ve tried two apps and it’s all garbled every few seconds.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I like Andrew watching the movies stone cold sober at 9am with nothing but coffee. He helps guide the discussions better than when they’re all toasted out of their minds on jazz cigarettes and miss major plot details.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Man, Die Hard with a vengeance is such a great movie.

Violator
May 15, 2003

tin can made man posted:

on at least one occasion I've relistened to most of the Son of the Mask episode solely to get to Andrew's shell-shocked "Ladies and gentlemen..."

Oh man, I can hear that line in my head. Great bit.

Violator
May 15, 2003

For the movies I suggest I always go to a public pay phone between 1-3am. Always a different one too to be safe.

Violator
May 15, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1232069513610485761

I haven't had a chance to listen to the new episode yet. Does anyone know the announcement? Is it just the tour dates?

Tour dates. But lots of impressions.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Crowetron posted:

xXx is an all timer episode.

I live for this poo poo!!!

Violator
May 15, 2003

My personal favorite joke of all time is Larry the Health Inspector’s dick beer. I used to belly laugh a lot at the show but that one set a record. I don’t like the movie and the rest of the episode is OK, but that segment is tops.

Violator
May 15, 2003

SilentChaz posted:

Confirmed on Twitter that one of the '90s Fox shows covered will be Beverly Hills 90210. My guess for the other one is Martin. :v:

It should be Martin and Living Single if they had any class or dignity!!!

But I'm not a huge fan of them covering comedies because it's jokes about jokes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Calaveron posted:

It can't not be the x files and Buffy.

X-Files would be awesome.