Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DrVenkman posted:

Thing is no one sponsors WHM though. Their claim they couldn't use music doesn't hold water. Don't you get like 30-60 seconds because they it just counts as a clip?

Anyway, they've had as many classic episodes since ep 150 as they had before it. Not every episode is a hit. Seventh Son was loving terrible, and you can tell when they flounder because they become reliant on just doing impressions.

They just joined a podcast network, so there's probably change in the system as a result of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

I watched that movie many times as a kid. I thought the episode on it was pretty good. I should go back and try to watch it decades later.

We watched teen wolf a few months ago. Even as a joke watch it's hard to make it through. I can't imagine TWTOO being better.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

The first one is only watchable because of Michael J Fox.

Wow. That thought made me wonder what Arrested Development would look like if he were the lead and not Jason Bateman.

He'd be like season three Tobias but instead of graph v host they could have a benefit for his parkinsons.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DrVenkman posted:

I completely forgot that they bring this up. I don't know if someone misspoke but they were all in agreement that Hammond and Nedry were related for some reason.

In the book he's his nephew, I'm pretty sure.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

It's really weird that apparently so many people came to the conclusion that he was related to Hammond if there's no mention of it. I guess it must just all come from the "thanks a lot dad" line and the way he acts toward Hammond in general is very uncle-nephew or something.

It's 100% not something that is from the movie. I'm pretty sure it's in the book, Googlefu gives me nothing, though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vakal posted:

Please let it be Spaced Invaders.

Sorry, but they only review bad movies.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Mortal Kombat just got added to Netflix. It is every bit as amazing and hilarious as I remember. :colbert:

I've never actually watched Annihilation, I feel like I should though.

MK is on Youtube, some guy uploaded it. The entire thing is there except a ten minute segment from the final fight. I guess there's music in it that caused an auto dump.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Firstborn posted:

Little Monsters is terrible. That's such a great request.

Little Monsters gave me nightmares for years and years. Like I watched it when I was 10, and I had nightmares until I was almost out of high school.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

It's a fine line, but they were born in like 1983-1984, and are 31-32, like me. And, for some totally anecdotal evidence, I always saw Pokemon as something my little brother was into, and not me, and he's 4 years younger than me.

So it's a fine line, but they'd likely be just on the "Didn't watch it" side of the line, like me.

I'm 32, I was born in 1983. Pokemon Red/Blue came out in 1996. That would make me 13 and in 8th grade/freshman in HS. Everyone (except the super cool kids) played Pokemon on their GBs.

The card game came out a year later, I was a Sophomore and purchased a ton of cards, realized it was even too dorky for me (and I played MTG) so I traded the cards to all the little kids on the bus for PlayStation games, until one of their dropout older brothers jumped me and beat me up for stealing his little brothers games.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BlameSpacePod posted:

"They" of course means 1 person on the show while Chris and I both defended Looper on the air.

Regarding Bogus Journey, and DragonHeart, and every movie you love: sometimes we enjoy watching movies that aren't Nukie-level and I think we're able to mine it for jokes a lot easier producing all in all a better podcast. I think some of the the best episodes often come out of "middle of the road" movies. We've also gone on to recommend movies we do on the show, which I think Bogus Journey would definitely get.

I'm really starting to feel that with WHM we can't do anything right. People complain when we did Camp Nowhere since it was "too small" of a movie, then when we do big movies like T3 or DragonHeart people complain that they "like" those movies. I genuinely like a lot of movies we've covered. I nearly shut down the mere notion of doing an episode on The Running Man for instance but then I realized: it's OK to like a movie, let's have fun discussing it. It's just a fun conversation. I don't think we ever intend anything we say on the show to be the "definitive" opinion and often when I lurk somewhere, I feel bad about the way the show is perceived but that's on us, I know. I just want to post and say, hey, dudes, I feel you and I'm not trying to crap on things just to crap on them. I want to goof around about them.

We also mention "STAAAATION!!" a lot because it's a funny concept to us, which is probably a credit to the film we're referring to...

Don't mind me folks, I just wanted to stress despite our show name, tones, and demeanor, this show is not coming out of purely negative state. We love movies, we love watching movies, we enjoy what we do. We do it for a reason and that has to say something about even the worst movies we discuss. I always felt like we should be more-so labelled a "movie" show than a "bad movie" show.

Anyway, sorry I don't mean to be a buzzkill, I want to also sincerely thank you all for listening. It's been an incredible journey going from a cynical jerk in NYC to a cynical jerk in NYC with a podcast people actually enjoy. It means the world to all of us over at WHM Headquarters. Thanks guys.

I have a WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING story for the mailbag if you are interested.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So WHM was dropped by Maximum Fun?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Good Will Hunting made me angry at the time, because I paid money to see it. What a dumpster fire that film is.

Guess you didn't like them apples.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I picked up the Sith commentary track, and boy it was phenomenal. I never realized how many loving urns and lamps are in the background.

Does it work as a listen with out the movie?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm sure some things work, but I've never watched a commentary without the film.

All of their commentaries are 99 cents on Google Play.

I do most of my movie watching on the train, and podcast listening while I bike, so a nice 2 hour recording would be great.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

centaurtainment posted:

I would say no, a lot of the jokes are about objects or people in the frame that they only refer to in context.

Eh I gave it a listen while I commuted today. Not too bad really.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

centaurtainment posted:

Have you listened to it while watching the movie as well, or just audio-only?

No no, just the commentary. To be specific, it's a great track, I just meant it works ok with out the movie.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Stan Lee on that list must be a statistical mistake. He's got a cameo in a ton of movies, but for those same movies he was EP, which was why he made so much. There's no way his acting roles have brought in that much alone.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

GrandpaPants posted:

You know that that list isn't what they actually took home right?

Also, I like how they couldn't stop themselves from going off topic so often during this episode. I don't think I can actually recall much of the movie proper.

Ah sorry, for some reason I didn't read it and see.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

This mailbag episode is awesome. Not only is it twice as long as usual, but the extra length is all about pantshitting!

I sent in a letter and they didn't read it. It made me sad. I sent another one today for next months, but no doubt they will not read it either.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

enigmahfc posted:

This is a terrifying situation to live under. Is your diet Taco Bell and Olive oil?

I am in my late 30's and have never poo poo myself. My butthole is amazing.

When Jose Oquendo gamble-farts, he plays to lose.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, it's definitely better, but if you hated Daredevil, the director's cut isn't suddenly going to make you like it. The scenes you likely hate are still in the movie. They just add more stuff. Like Coolio! And it flows a bit better. But I doubt your issues with the movie boiled down to, "Did not have Coolio."

I didn't hate Daredevil, and thought it was, at worst, "alright". I think the director's cut is therefore a pretty decent flick. But I recognize what people hate about it. And I'll just say this: the fight in the schoolyard is still in the director's cut. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's even longer.

My Daredevil story: For a while, during college, I didn't really have any friends and was in a pretty depressed state. I eventually made a small group of friends, and went to see Daredevil with them. As we left the theater I went to the bathroom and they all left with out me. I never hung out with them again.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Squallege posted:

Send that into the mailbag

Done.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

I just sent one in too. I had it in my drafts folder for a few weeks. Finally finished it up. :v:

Oh do tell. I emailed about dad taking me to see Zoolander, but they didn't read it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

They probably just have a Zoolander spam filter to try and keep it out of recommendation.

I have a Lord of the Rings movie story too, where I was dating a girl, and she dumped me after watching LOTR:TT. I found out a few months later she was pregnant at the time (not mine). She ended up giving birth to a deformed baby with a flipper hand. I have it in my drafts folder and i keep hovering over send but I'm not sure.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

So did she give Gimli or Legolas the credit for killing your relationship?

Basically yes. She was in love with Orlando Bloom. During the movie I just looked over at her and realized this was going nowhere, and I just left the theater for a couple hours. I came back near the end of the movie and sat down and she didn't even look at me. Later in front of her place she dumped me.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

So you left her in the theater during a date for a few hours?

I did yes. I went to the arcade and Babbages. When I came back with a Babbages bag she didn't even look over. She really didn't like me, and it was completely obvious. Probably because she was banging some other dude at the same time and was two months pregnant during our date.

Firstborn posted:

Sir Fat Tony you lived a charmed life

You have no idea.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

What did you get at Babbage's?

Oh man, this was Dec 2002, since it was The Two Towers . I'd gather it was a Gamecube game, Metroid Prime maybe?. I don't remember the Babbage's purchase, however I do remember going to the mall arcade and playing Marvel vs Street Fighter. That arcade didn't have a Marvel vs Capcom, the newer and superior game.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 5, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tender Bender posted:

It's probably because you left her alone for several hours on a date and returned with a videogame.

Yeah I'll give you that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

fatherboxx posted:

WAKE ME UP INSIDE (CANT WAKE UP)

Every time they make fun of late 90's nu-metal I get a little embarrassed for my musical tastes back then.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I also sent in my daredevil story, hopefully they read it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sleeveless posted:

I love The Adventure Zone but actual tabletop people getting :goonsay: about the game rules is the worst. Stay strong, Haters.

The Adventure Zone is ok, but man just get on with the story, ten episodes and only maybe one battle and almost no narrative.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Evil Mastermind posted:

While I'm bummed that D&D got bumped, I can't wait to hear a BvS episode. Everything I've seen about the movie makes it sound like it's just a big-screen grimdark fanfic, and I want to find out if the stupid-rear end reason I heard Bats and Superman finally make friends is true.

Batman stops beating Superman to death and teams up with him because it turns out that their mothers had the same first name.

Or you know, Batman realizes that Superman is a regular guy with a family and a life and everything, not just an alien monster like he always thought. But "NOT MY BATMAN" or whatever. Perhaps this article from the fine reporting site Mashable is more of your speed.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's not true, I think Mystery Men is kind of contentious still.

Yeah, I actually like this podcast and have no interest in that whatsoever.

I really liked Mystery Men, their episode was still funny. I don't agree with their analysis, but I didn't feel the need to pick up my tweets about how I don't agree with their take on it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Evil Mastermind posted:

So I'm just getting around to listening to the BvS episode today.

How, exactly, does The Gotham Bat convince people in prison to kill people he's branded? Like, does he have plants or something?

I'm really curious sometimes when people post things like this: do you even really pay attention to the movies you watch? I know this sounds insulting, but I'm not trying to be. They state clearly in the move that he has branded one criminal previously, the guy was a pedophile and he was killed, the second guy he brands in the movie is a human trafficker (also likely dealing in child sex slaves). Alfred asks about this new thing he's doing, so it's clear its new.

As far as "how is he convincing people in prison to kill them", it's pretty clear he doesn't have some kind of deal with a prisoner, but in movie land typically when a child sex offender is sent to prison, the prisoners usually beat up or kill the offender. Batman was clearly marking them so they'd stand out more in prison and become targets.

How do these things get missed? It's not even like a subtle subtext, it's stated out loud in the movie.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BlameSpacePod posted:

It's stupid. As you've stated, those types of crimes are targeted by prisoners all the time. Is it even related to the branding? It's just a dumb part of the movie to make Batman 'badass.'

That's not at all the point of my post. It's that I'm always surprised at the things people miss from movies. Not like SMG themes or subtext items, but clear obvious on screen things.

BlameSpacePod posted:

It's stupid. As you've stated, those types of crimes are targeted by prisoners all the time. Is it even related to the branding? It's just a dumb part of the movie to make Batman 'badass.'

It's a literal representation of how in the last 18 months Batman has become more needlessly cruel.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BlameSpacePod posted:

Not highlighting it does not mean miss.

Hey, just to be clear, I'm referencing this guy's post, not calling him an idiot or a fool because "NOT MY BATMAN" but I"m always surprised how much people miss when they watch a movie.

Evil Mastermind posted:

So I'm just getting around to listening to the BvS episode today.

How, exactly, does The Gotham Bat convince people in prison to kill people he's branded? Like, does he have plants or something?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Evil Mastermind posted:

People seem to be way too invested in my posting in this thread lately.

Not sure how I feel about that.

e: I haven't seen the movie myself, I'm just listening to the episode.

Ah, that makes more sense. Didn't know you hadn't seen it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I played Soul Caliber 2 in an arcade a ton. There was a handicapped kid, basically like Walter Jr, but with a slightly higher level of mental handicap, playing the game. I was playing, an the kept jumping into challenge me. I let him win, and then when he was finished I started playing again. Then he joined back in and fought me again. This happened several times, and I kept letting him win since I wanted to be nice. After about five rounds of this, I stopped playing to let him win, and turns out I couldn't actually beat him. He was fantastic at the game, and schooled me. Should I send that in? It's not arcade romance.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If you are new to the show listen to the current episode, but between current eps start at 001 and work up. They don't have many reoccurring jokes, but sometimes they'll have a joke pop up in consecutive episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I've been on stage with Gallagher. He pulled me and a girl on stage to help open some cans. Then he made fun of my name (Eric) and make me wear a penis hat while he made jokes about me and the girl getting it on.

Later he made me wear a raccoon hat thing, and make me pretend to poop on the audience while throwing pumpkin pie filling.

Yes this happened.

Sorry the pics are bad but there taken fifteen years ago on a Nokia Feature phone.