Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56638260

I was also totally unaware but looks to be like two years ago. Good for her, but also sucks that she had to wait until she had enough clout / fame to be confident enough to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Before this I was stringently in the “assigned seats are god tier, I don’t see ANY reason why you don’t want them. Stop being afraid of talking to a person irl just because they think you’re in their seat”. But I’ve had a change of heart based on some of the arguments. I can get onboard with ditching assign seating if either

+it’s a matinee showing
+movie has been in theaters for more than 3 weeks

and I think that ends up addressing a lot of the annoyances people have been calling out. But you can pry my opening weekend assigned seats from my cold dead hands.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I'm so glad I joined Letterboxd with the sole purpose of following the gang

Cabin posted:

There are men who study ancient, grueling forms of yoga and pilates from birth in monasteries hidden in the deepest crevices of mountains never drawn on maps that will never be able to suck their own dick for half as long or forcefully as Kevin Costner sucks his. If it didn't take three weeks to watch this film, you'd almost have to be impressed by the feat.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

It's funny, because the actual release of ad free eps going forward? Eh, it's good but I'm used to ads.

Now . . . the fact that I'll drop from two separate podcast entries in my app to one and I no longer have to delete a bunch of Patreon clips I have access to in the other feed just to fulfil my OCD? Now THAT is priceless.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

It's weird because in the past, I am reasonably sure I read that Andrew specifically mentioned he inserted the ad breaks into the episodes so they came at not awful points or inside sentences. Entirely possible that in leaving Headgum they went from "mandated ad content but controlled ad placement" to "mandated ads and no control over placement".

Who knows. All I know

The Gillman posted:

Woo! Blade!

Time for a rewatch for me!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

claw game handjob posted:

I think the only thing of note going up on one and not the other are maybe mailbags or on-screen live. And if those begin showing up on the pay feed, then I guess the answer is a hard "nope".

For non twitter users, Andrew did hit on that today

https://twitter.com/jupin/status/1699022386199220614?s=46

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Kneecaps posted:

Crazy, I would have sworn on my life this was a 1-800-Collect commercial, not a Geico commercial. Getting old sucks.

Holy poo poo I hadn’t clicked on the link when it was first posted because I thought I had perfect memory of it. But I absolute am right there with you, I would have put money on it actually being for collect calling.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Legit fist pump at AD, been meaning to rewatch that.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Quick check of the episode list

Episode 583 - Alien 2021-12-15
Episode 643 - Hannibal 2022-11-17

I would assume that in miscellaneous episodes or in mailbag/green rooms prior to December 2021 they coined Rotten Rid and it recurred a few times casually. Then when they did Alien that's probably when they had to say Royal Rid since it was a good movie, and once they hit Hannibal it firmly established the dichotomy existed.

Edit: for anyone who isn't on the Patreon (or is but missed this) and likes charts and graphs like I do, this Google doc has a bunch of cool statistics in general about everything they've ever put out.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

My dad had the VHS box set for the Die Hard trilogy when I was growing up. 2 definitely got much less of my watching time than 1 and 3 but I still watched it a ton and I’m excited to revisit it

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Flying Zamboni posted:

The WHM boys have killed again! Ryan O'Neal just died right after they had a tangent about him on this week's Die Hard 2 episode.

brb tweeting at them about it

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I loved the brief bit of Eric playing the Gleep Glossary soundboard at Steve’s funeral

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Sometimes it's not the movies they hate the most, just the ones that'll be most fun to talk about.

Also they have done Saw 1 through 5 so if anything this is just them beginning the longer term effort to do the whole series.

The Deleter posted:

Their oppie episode is gonna be dull as gently caress, it's going to be them sucking off nolan for three hours. i'd rather Jupin talk about Godzilla Minus One to the rest of them instead.

I am really going to be relying on all y'all to tell me if it's truly worth a listen. I'm one of the people who likes all the WHM episodes and enjoy the focus they put on cinema / movie-making vs just jokes. But I have absolutely zero desire to ever see the actual movie, let alone listen to people talk about it for multiple hours.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Gyges posted:

Is it a patreon episode?

I had to check because I have most Patreon emails disabled, but it’s a digital live show set for Feb 1

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1747068690313490444?s=20
I'm pumped because I remembered them saying in the past "we're not going back to Texas anytime soon because gently caress your state's government" which 1) I'm paraphrasing and 2) I fully agree with. Glad to get them back out here.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

A (light) recommend: to anyone who doesn't use Letterboxd, make an account solely so you can follow the gang. It's fun supplemental material to the podcast, as I like reading their earnest opinions about a bunch of the stuff they watch. I always appreciate their opinions because like or hate something, they're always both funny and thoughtful about it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

A GIANT WOOOOMAN (that obv started in Bee Movie) gets me every time.

Also less a real bit, but I love whenever they—but usually Andrew—just throw in a golden age Simpsons reference into the convo. I think he said he and Chelsea were watching it in the evenings and it showed because late last year he was averaging a reference every 2-3 episodes.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

NmareBfly posted:

Saw madam web.

It deserves an emergency episode.

This is the list of the movies the pair of screenwriters has done

The gang can't not do it at some point, you can't break the streak of having this entire output be on the show.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

https://x.com/WHMPodcast/status/1766192231147348267?s=20
Hell yes, can't watch to watch along with them

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Gleep glossary spoilers: the soundboard comes back briefly, and it’s use is perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Andrew’s reaction on Nexus today was totally mine when he went “I’m so relieved you both liked this” for Those Old Scientists.