Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Michaellaneous posted:

I am currently downloading my first episode of this - The Core- and I shall report back soon

That's a good one. Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, it's definitely better, but if you hated Daredevil, the director's cut isn't suddenly going to make you like it. The scenes you likely hate are still in the movie. They just add more stuff. Like Coolio! And it flows a bit better. But I doubt your issues with the movie boiled down to, "Did not have Coolio."

I didn't hate Daredevil, and thought it was, at worst, "alright". I think the director's cut is therefore a pretty decent flick. But I recognize what people hate about it. And I'll just say this: the fight in the schoolyard is still in the director's cut. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's even longer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Illinois Smith posted:

I've never seen it. I mean, I vaguely remember coming across it on TV 10 years ago, going "ugh, Ben Affleck in a comic book movie? No thanks" and moving on. And I think someone linked me to the playground fight at some point, though I can't remember it.

I was just asking because you'll usually find someone on the internet arguing even for the shittiest DCs, so I wanted to make sure the good things I read about it were at least somewhat grounded in reality. At the end of the day I'm still gonna spend at least 103 minutes doing homework for a bad movie podcast, so better flow, more violence and a Coolio subplot definitely make a difference. :)

Oh, okay. Well these are all true of the DC, so you should try it. :)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

JT Smiley posted:

Both Steve and Andrew said they stopped watching after Wrestlemania 17 and the last time they tried watching they couldn't sit through a 20 minute match. Eric mentioned he checked out around the time the Undertaker first showed up.

Steve had a line once about how his wrestling knowledge has stuck around in his mind that I've used for other things since then because I love it so much. It was something like, "I picture my brain swimming in alcohol like a flooded apartment, and my wrestling knowledge is standing on top of a bookcase, just holding out as long as possible, while everything else has drowned."

I'm sure I butchered that, but you get the idea.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Basically yes. She was in love with Orlando Bloom. During the movie I just looked over at her and realized this was going nowhere, and I just left the theater for a couple hours. I came back near the end of the movie and sat down and she didn't even look at me. Later in front of her place she dumped me.

So you left her in the theater during a date for a few hours?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kalensc posted:

Gargoyles would be great on Animation Damnation if there was a wacky Xanatos episode, plenty of TNG Riker derails for the taking.

Was the voice over work for that show recorded in the same studio they filmed TNG? So many voices were in both. At some point or another it had Jonathan Frakes, Marina Sirtis, Michael Dorn, Brent Spiner, and Colm Meaney.

For fun, you can add in Nichelle Nichols, Kate Mulgrew, Avery Brooks, and David Warner for more Star Trek goodness.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I genuinely enjoy The Shadow.

And Dungeons and Dragons is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

I can't wait for both of these episodes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Slantedfloors posted:

This is the thread where we admit we secretly love The Shadow, right?

:hfive:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Watcher is such a strange movie to me. It's a movie about a serial killer being hunted by an FBI agent, starring Keanu Reeves and James Spader. And James Spader doesn't play the serial killer?! What the gently caress?

When I heard about the movie, I just assumed the roles were reversed. James Spader is one of the creepiest motherfuckers ever. Swing and a miss on casting, there.

I haven't listened to the episode yet, apologies if they bring this up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

"Jesus Christ is a vicious night spirit"- Eric Szyszka

Also my dad snuck me into The Brown Bunny and I once watched Irreversible and also Visitor Q with my parents so I think I might be able to beat that cosmic exception
My dad's a huge intellectual film snob and both my parents were the intelligentsia types so yeahhhhh. I've seen some weird rear end movies with my parents

LORD OF BUTT posted:

You really need to write in, they're gonna poo poo themselves at that

Yes, do this, please.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

How do you do that again? Shoot an email at weallhatemovies@gmail.com ??

As far as I know, yeah.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

e X posted:

Both shows are amazing in how little they actually resemble ancient times in any way or form. It's basically your typical pseudo medieval European fantasy world, but occasionally they namedrop a city or a famous person. I think Xena in the end covered the entirety of mythological times up to the early middle ages in the span of a couple of years. Who knew that the fall of Lucifer, Ceaser's reign, Jesus birth and entire lifetime and the rise of Christianity all happened in the same 5 years?

Did they really go into the birth of Jesus on Xena: Warrior Princess?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Quixotic1 posted:

I now got to watch The Shadow, Dick Tracy, The Rocketeer, and The Phantom again and see which is the worst. I also want a Avengers team up of said film heroes.

I agree with Firstborn, The Phantom is easily the worst of that bunch. Though it had a more memorable villain the The Shadow.

The Rocketeer is just a good movie. I like The Shadow and Dick Tracy, but I recognize their flaws. The Phantom is just bad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh great, more ranting against BvS.

TetsuoTW posted:

Ok there is no way Kenny G isn't a goon, which one of you is it?

BTW Kenny G, I liked BvS and I knew those were parademons and I didn't especially like the WHM take on it but it's OK to hate a movie.

Sure, but the BvS episode started with one of them saying we had a "moral obligation" to not like this movie. So they can gently caress off with an opinion like that.

That, and their bizarre insistence that no one calls him Batman, when Laurence Fishburne not only calls him that in the movie, but it even made the trailer, really soured me on their whole BvS episode. I could have done without hearing about it again. And yeah, this guy's email was dumb as poo poo. Doesn't change the fact that their hatred for this movie, seemingly more so than any other lovely movie they've ever reviewed, is grating.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

painynumbs posted:

They read like four other hilarious emails afterwards. Just skip to those if it bothers you so much.

Oh I plan to. I just got to work as they finished talking about BvS, so I'll listen to the rest on my drive home.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MinibarMatchman posted:

the entire subforum really needs to get over that not everyone gives a gently caress about our 500 page broken-brained abyss of posts about batman vs superman. it's an extreme microcosm and most people thought the movie was poo poo.

Sure, but the new mailbag started in on the movie again, so I commented on it. People are allowed to hate movies, but this podcast said we had a moral obligation to not like this movie. That opinion can die in a fire. Sure, it was mostly a joke. But they genuinely seemed to hate this movie more than I think they've hated any other movie they've ever discussed. That seems like an overreaction to me.

In this thread, people are responding to things said in this podcast.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Okay so my suspect list is MisterBibs and thrawn.

I mean, like I said, the email was dumb as hell, and I don't give a poo poo about parademons (or even know what they are, other than I guess some monsters working for Darkseid?). The movie had some serious issues, and I can see not liking it. But everyone falling over themselves to consider it the worst movie of all time is this weird internet competition to be the one who hates it the most or something. I guess it's just a result of everything being either the greatest thing ever or the worst thing ever.

Again, mostly this stems from them veering off from their "it's okay to like a movie" point with, "but I think in this case you have a moral obligation to not like this movie."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Top five episodes of this?

5. The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Their bits about the punishments Hammond deserves are amazing.
4. Mr. Destiny - Really any Jim Belushi episode, but this is my favorite.
3. The Substitute - ohmygodimgonnakillhim ohmygodimgonnakillhim ohmygodimgonnakillhim ohmygodimgonnakillhim
2. Blame it on Rio - So disturbing.
1. Hard Target - Peak Wilford Brimley impressions. All around great episode.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm surprised nobody's putting Brainscan in their top 5. "Jeremy, did you put those discs in the mail today?"

Son of a bitch. Yes, this too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Crocobile posted:

I feel like the mailbags have reached such a level of insanity I actually look forward to them more than the episodes.

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes on Tuesday's I take a moment to decide to listen, depending on the movie (I still haven't listened to the Larry the Cable Guy episode, because I haven't seen it and I do not care about it or him), but the mailbag episodes are an instant listen.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Violator posted:

Brother, give the first six minutes a chance. Dick beer will change your life.

...well now I have to listen.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I kind of wish they'd watched the original Highlander 2 and not the Renegade version, because while their confusion at time travel is pretty hilarious, their reaction to immortals being aliens from the loving planet Zeist would probably have been much funnier.

Yeah, they absolutely watched the original version. They say they're aliens. They just don't remember the name Zeist, because why the gently caress would anyone commit that to memory?

The Renegade version is funny to me, because seriously, why bother? "We fixed it! Now they're from far far far in our planet's past, not another planet!" "Um, okay. They're still banished, right? And can't remember each other? And Connery still comes back to life for no reason? Yeah, still a poo poo movie."

Anyway, that episode was great. Like, crazy funny. Especially for Sean Connery's Lady Slap (which I now laugh about, just typing out here).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Okay, wait, what? Am I listening to a different version of the episode? Because they keep mentioning the Highlanders time-traveling and they mentioned it being a flashback to "the distant past," which is what the Renegade version did.

The original cut is also only available if you dig up an old VHS tape of it or pirate it, pretty much.

They're from a different planet AND a different time. No, there is no reason for them to have done this.

The Renegade version just removed the word Zeist. Connery goes from saying, "Free men of the planet Zeist, hear me!" to "Free men of the planet...hear me!"

And yes, Christopher Lambert will be speaking at my funeral.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Am I wrong, or are they pronouncing the director's name weird? His name is Russel Mulcahy (which I read as Mul-kay-hee), and they keep saying is like Mulackey. At one point Steve even said Mulcahy, then corrected to Mulackey. Weird.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: I really hope they do the Highlander cartoon for Animation Damnation.

Oh hell, that's a great idea. I may write that in.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Guy Mann posted:

In the hell scape of 90's syndicated television Highlander at least put some effort into things by doing a bunch of on-location shooting in Europe instead of having the entire show take place in Toronto or New Zealand like everybody else.

To be fair, half of each season was in Canada (Vancouver, I'm pretty sure). They even named the city Seacouver, as a cross between Seattle and Vancouver. The show was a joint venture between companies in Canada and France I think, so halfway through each season the characters would literally move between the two cities. "I miss Paris, let's move back to that barge!"

The show was entertaining, and kind of holds up as a time capsule, very silly show. Some arcs were great, and some were just awful (demon body snatchers, dark quickening both come to mind). But they introduced some fun characters (Methos and a recurring character played by Roger Daltrey, mainly. I also liked Amanda), and in season 2 added the Watchers, which was a legit good addition to that world.

Highlander: Endgame was...alright. It was really the end of Duncan's story, and not a very good one. I liked the stuff with both Duncan and Conner, but the villain was terrible, and "Faith" was an awful addition, when they could have just used Amanda.

It had a great fight between Adrian Paul and Donnie Yen, though, so I can't hate it. Even if it's short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5dzAUJhe9U

I have never and will never watch Highlander: The Source. It's a bridge too far.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Does anyone remember which episode had Andrew saying "if you can find an Orc in The Seventh Seal I'll go down on you" and Eric replying "oooh, I'll have to go frame by frame"?

Why, did you find one?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

"Robert M. Buttons, Jr."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Illinois Smith posted:

#RATNERISEBAUM

I loving love when noted Not-A-Comic-Book-Reader Steve cracks everyone up with random dumb X-Men character backstories.

Yeah, I especially loved when they were talking about Beast not being in the first 2 movies, and someone said something like, "You didn't see his name on a computer screen..." and I said to myself, "Actually..." right before Steve said, "Actually..." It was great.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TetsuoTW posted:

The Internet's latest gimmick is racing to be first to poo poo on movies expected to be popular, or at the least to do the most spackle-y, wall-decorative splattershit on it.

This is 100% true, but it's interesting in this case, because, as much as I love the WHM guys, they have been some of the same people who normally do exactly that.

I mean, even ignoring their BvS reaction, it's a podcast tearing apart bad movies. That's...kind of what they do.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I don't care, still the hardest I've laughed at the show in a long time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Also, I'll say Andrew is a special kind of Star Trek nerd, who remembers the full registry number of the Enterprise from the end of 4, and all of 5 and 6 (NCC-1701-A), yet not remember plot points from Wrath of Khan (Khan not only doesn't take over the Enterprise, he never steps foot on it. He and Kirk are never in the same room the whole movie).

No big deal or anything. Just funny, to me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Corek posted:

He actually does take over the Enterprise in the episode of the original show where he first appears.

I thought Andrew specific in the movie. If he said, more generally, "Khan took over the Enterprise", then ignore me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Tender Bender posted:

I'm bummed that they apparently wrote off IV as the worst when it's solidly in the top 3 and arguably the best of them.

I agree that it's in the top 3, but you'd have a hard time arguing it's the best of them. It's entertaining, for sure, but it's easily my third favorite of the original cast. 2 and 6 are incredibly good. And through no coincidence, have the best villains of the entire movie series.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Corek posted:

They said that IV was one of the best. Nemesis and Insurrection were the worst, and V was the worst TOS movie.

Yeah I don't even think anything here is even up for debate. There is some debate on whether Nemesis or Insurrection is the worst (I think Insurrection because it's far more boring and just feels like a bad two parter of the show, but I appear to be in the minority, and I can't really argue because Nemesis is really bad), but those three are by far the worst of the bunch.

I mean, Generations is really really really bad, but at least you've got Malcolm McDowell and William Shatner doing something.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Insurrection isn't the worst because, as you said, it's just a boring two-parter TNG episode. Nemesis seems to have an active disdain for the entire franchise. It's so totally out of sync with anything else in Star Trek.

I suppose you could split the difference and say Insurrection is a worse movie because being boring is a bigger cinematic sin while Nemesis is a worse Star Trek movie because it hates you for liking this stuff.

Yeah, it's one of those arguments where there is no wrong answer, because they're both terrible. I think there are at least a few things to somewhat enjoy in Nemesis (like a really strange performance by Tom Hardy, decent action scene where they ram the Enterprise into the Romulan ship, and...well actually I ran out of things), and it feels like a movie. The sacrifice at the end is unearned, and largely erased, but it was trying to do something. Insurrection had red cloudy space, face stretchy aliens, everyone getting horny and going through puberty again, and a final fight on a set where they seem to have forgotten to change the blue screen out with a CGI background.

(Was there ever an explanation for this? Did they actually run out of budget to fill that in? Or did they always intend for the background to just be blue?)

I really can't stand that movie. It's so drat boring. Nemesis is awful, but it's not boring. Usually.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Calaveron posted:

So on a scale from The Dark Knight to Fantastic Four 2015, how bad is ASM2? It sounds really bloated and despite just listening to the episode, I still felt like they didn't actually speak about the movie

It's not very good, but I think it's badness is grossly overstating by most people on the internet. Like, it's too long, and has too much going on, and does indeed have Peter being a dick for most of the movie. But the action scenes are mostly pretty enjoyable, and I actually really like the final scene everyone else seems to hate.

Basically, it's fine, and could almost be good if they cut out at least 30 minutes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TheDon01 posted:

What's your guys favorite episodes? The Ms Doubtfire episode is what got me hooked, and the rerun of silver bullet reminded me of one of my favorite lines

"Cripple this, cripple that, up on cripple creek"

I'll just repost what I put when this was last brought up.

thrawn527 posted:

5. The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Their bits about the punishments Hammond deserves are amazing.
4. Mr. Destiny - Really any Jim Belushi episode, but this is my favorite.
3. The Substitute - ohmygodimgonnakillhim ohmygodimgonnakillhim ohmygodimgonnakillhim ohmygodimgonnakillhim
2. Blame it on Rio - So disturbing.
1. Hard Target - Peak Wilford Brimley impressions. All around great episode.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

sean10mm posted:

Gymkata has the bit with the ninjas who goof off all the time because everybody gets killed before reaching their stage in the game of death, which I irrationally love.

Yeah, this is a good addition, and is when I started to notice (when going through their back catalog) how much better this podcast is than How Did This Get Made? They both did an episode on Gymkata, and the bit you mention about the ninjas goofing off was the funniest thing in either episode, by a mile. It was a great episode, and listening to the HDTGM episode after it was super disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I don't recall any episodes that featured a different lineup than Andrew, Steve and another person. Chris was there for most of the early run, now it's Eric. Then some fill-in guys here and there.

There are episodes with Andrew, Eric, and Chris (RIPD). This mailbag brings up one of them, Blind Fury.

Fezz posted:

From the beginning it was Andrew plus a pretty steady rotation of 2 out of the three of Chris, Eric and Steve with occasional episodes with all four of them or a special guest as the fourth person. It's only when Chris turned into a ghost (RIPD) that the lineup was all Andrew, Steve and Eric. Now that Chris has been dragon balled back to life I imagine it will either go back to the old rotation or just permanently be all four.

Yeah, I think they said their goal this season is to have all 4 of them. Not that it's actually happened yet.