Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

fishing with the fam posted:

Watched a half an hour of Rollerball last night and woof, that movie stinks. Makes Basic look like high art in comparison.

I like Basic. It's been forever since I watched it, but I remember loving it when it came out. An insane amount of twists, in a good way, and fun performances.

No idea if it holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Really curious to see what they pick for the WLM.

I suspect some of the WHM prime episodes will be borderline WLM episodes too.

Same. Major League is legit great. I watched it again a few months ago and it holds up. I think Hot Shots is great, too, but I haven't watched it in forever. I love Three Musketeers, but it's not really WLM worthy.

Any other movie of his that I like is basically a WHM prime episode that is silly enough to be fun, like Men at Work, or The Chase.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 25, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Wall Street for WLM? Platoon might be a touch too heavy to riff on.

I thought about mentioning Wall Street, it just doesn't seem like the kind of movie they'd heap praise over. I could be wrong, though. I also haven't watched it in over 15 years.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Honestly, Major League the WLM, and Major League 2 one of the WHM prime episodes would be a good double header (pun 100% intended).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hockles posted:

They had the caveat that not all episodes will be "Charlie Sheen Movies" but could be just movies that he is in.

So cameos are possibilities? Well hello there, Loaded Weapon 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOPaJkV5GH4

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's interesting. I would have reversed it. Unless the WHM is a secret/semi WLM.

As I mentioned earlier, I agree.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cael posted:

Andrew’s reaction on Nexus today was totally mine when he went “I’m so relieved you both liked this” for Those Old Scientists.

It's a fantastic episode. One of Trek's best in decades.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am normally able to disagree with Cabin but respect what he has to say but his comments about AI on osl are some of the dumbest poo poo he's said and that's saying a lot.

I forget, what did he say? I assume it was about its use in Late Night with the Devil, but I really don't remember.

edit: I went back and listened. He says how if you're against AI, you should have been as against CGI de-aging, and boycotting that as well? And how Dune 2 created a system to find Fremen eyes and color them blue, and that's basically the same as AI, and you should be boycotting that, too? Yeah, that's dumb.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 29, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gyges posted:

I'd assume they'd roll on to DS9, and find that the true top Starfleet Captain is The Sisko. The dark era for Nexus will be when they're doing an episode of Voyager and an episode of Enterprise.

I’m assuming they’ll kill the show by Voyager/Enterprise days, for lack of interest from them and the audience.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Invalid Validation posted:

Eric’s a goon, he should love cartoons/anime.

Eric signed up for SA because he told about this thread and wanted to communicate with fans and see what everyone was talking about. He was, rightly, quickly scared away. He is not a goon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BlameSpacePod posted:

Hi,

Wanted to drop in and let you know some of the thought process here.

A reason we moved mailbags to YouTube is that very few people every downloaded those episodes as audio. Same thing with the On Screen episodes. We receive like maybe a 10th of the download numbers a main episode does. The drop off is like a cliff. So we thought only die hard fans listen to the mailbags, they might enjoy seeing us and making it more of a fan/creator shared experience.

We are not yet sure what we're doing with it but part of making it video only is to get people AWARE we have a YouTube channel. We're going to play with more visual elements going forward, I promise. I also am not sure an On Screen is the best introduction to the show for random people downloading off the main feed too. It just isn't exactly what WHM is, so it's odd for someone to download WHM and hear us gush about a movie instead of "hate" it.

We thought doing Mailbag and OS as video might be a better option than not doing them at all.

We also thought we're coming up 10 years doing this show and it's kinda fun and different to try something new. So a decision there is kinda selfish because we just want to do something different. We want to experiment, have fun in a different way, and see what shakes out. It kinda gets old just doing the same thing forever. I'm open to ideas if you think there's something better we could be doing than YouTube.

We have gotten a ton of positive reaction from fans overseas who resigned to never being able to see a live show, etc, etc.

Eric

Found his most recent post, in case anyone is curious. I guess I shouldn't have said "quickly", he posted for 4 years, but only ever in the 2 Bad Movie Podcast threads.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 1, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gyges posted:

A real podcast would promote Estevember with Emilio, and then only do Joe movies.

Do they still have the 10 year rule? If not, Deck of Cards, here we come!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Inkspot posted:

Do not worry about Eric Roberts.

You son of a bitch.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ImpAtom posted:

I've never watched either show and it's one of those situations where they talk about it as if the audience was watching along with them so it ends up kind of mush to me. This happens sometimes with the movie ones too but usually they feel like they have more structure. I'm not saying they are bad, just I get nothing from them.

Yeah, it's alright, but far from my favorite show they do, and I think it's because I barely watched any 90210, and I've never watched any Melrose Place, so I have no reference to what they're saying. It's funny, but I can't listen quite as casually, if that makes sense. I have to pay more attention or I have no idea what they're even talking about. As where with The Nexus, I know who everyone is, and I've seen most episodes they're talking about, even if it's been over a decade, so I can listen while doing something else and have no problem following along.

Some main feed episodes where I haven't seen the movie I can follow along just fine (for example, I really need to watch Terminal Velocity, that episode was great). But others, I just kinda get lost as they're referencing what's happening in the movie, and I haven't seen it. Which is fine, that's how it goes. But Melr0210 is one I can take or leave for the same reason.

I'm glad other people love it, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh good god, Callista. She’s from Children of the Jedi. My personal least favorite old EU book. Here we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

mweber posted:

Joss Ackland has such a great screen presence, but his whole career is DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY and QUACK QUACK.

And the guy who lost another submarine in Hunt for Red October.

Plot wise, you could skip 2, I guess. The only thing you’d miss is the intro of Joe Pesci’s character. But you shouldn’t skip it, it’s a great movie. My second favorite of the series, after the first. And it’s a lot of people’s favorite.