Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Their discussion of Keanu as a villain surprised me because they didn't bring up his role as an abusive redneck wife-beater in The Gift, which he was actually OK in.

They didn't bring up The Man of Tai Chi either, which he also directed. I thought it was a pretty solid movie. Most of the fight scenes were really well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

I disliked them disliking The Raid.

I like both Dredd and The Raid and look forward to The Raid 3.

Gods of Egypt was sorta there I guess.

They have correct opinions about John Wick so it's ok. I hope they never make a Dredd sequel because it would make this one much less special

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I just assumed the card thing is due to the fact that the US hasn’t had chip and pin or nfc debit and credit cards for as long as the rest of the world. That would add some time to paying for a $3 coffee

NFC is great

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Fezz posted:

I'll add Blank Check with Griffin and David to the list. It started off as a joke podcast where they discuss the Star Wars prequels every week, but now they take a filmmaker who had an initial success and received a blank check to make whatever movies they wanted and the results of that, good or bad are discussed generally well. Griffin can get stuck in tangents but they do a pretty good job of staying on topic. And they have guests from other movie podcasts like Andrew and Steve on Total Recall. They've done the works of the Wachowski's, James Cameron, Cameron Crow, Chris Nolan and are currently wrapping up Verhoeven.

Seconding this.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Acht posted:

So I'm loving WHM, even when I haven't even seen the movie they discuss.
I also listened to some of How Did This Get Made, but that became very annoying, very quickly.

Is there another comedic movie podcast anyone can recommend?

Blank Check has really found its groove after they did like 30 eps on the Star Wars Prequels. Now they cover filmographies of directors in order of release and I think it’s a lot of fun.

The series on Nolan, Spielberg and the Watchowkis are good places to start

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

painynumbs posted:

Hey if you want to listen to almost two hours of these boys getting loving annihilated on Rolling Rock and kinda talking about a twilight movie it might be worth it donate to the patreon

Power Hour was a great idea. It was fun to hear everyone be a little more casual as they kept going and you could tell Erik was more drunk then he let on

I hope they do The Century for the next one

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

I'd listen to a sister podcast We Love Movies if they ever felt like keeping this a regular thing. This is great.

I’d be ok if that replaced the Patreon Episode every month

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I hope very much that Eric and Chris do an episode of Blank Check in 2019, or David and Griffin dropping in to WHM

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Dmitri-9 posted:

I was surprised they recommended the Letter From Death Row episode over Chill Factor. They couldn't stay on topic for a minute and I assumed it was because they loving hated Letter From Death Row. I thought the Chill Factor episode was ok to good actually.

For as bad as it was, Death Row actually tried something different. You can talk about the choices they made, mostly because you can’t place where else you might have seen it. Chill Factor was just a bunch of bits from other movies and is immediately forgettable

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Hockles posted:

Do they do a Blank Check episode on Blank Check? Or, when are we going to get Griffin back to do a Blank Check episode of WHM?

Yes, it’s episode 100

Cael posted:

Can someone who does listen to Blank Check name one or two standout episodes for those of us who might want to check it out (besides the aforementioned Book of Henry)?

The Matrix movies are really good. Any Verhovan ep is really good. Probably Total Recall first as Andrew and Steve are on it, but that whole mini-series had some really good episodes

There is a decent amount of overlap of movies they have both covered. Maybe start with one of those ones

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Live Free or Die Hard is a pretty lackluster lovely movie, but I'll defend the Kevin Smith scene for a couple of reasons. One is he's not yet another skinny sexy hacker, which movies love to give us. Second, the (yes clunky) exposition drop was because they had yet to actually explain Gabriel's character at all. Bruce Willis and Len Wiseman had been fighting on set constantly, and had been putting off and putting off setting up Gabriel, and Willis just lost his poo poo, causing Smith to suggest rewriting the scene on the spot to lay it out and then they can move the gently caress on with the movie. The original version of the scene was nothing but jokes, going into the 3rd act. It was a real attempt to fix it, even if it only half worked.

Granted, this is all according to Smith himself, and he tends to embellish for comedy's sake in his stories, but it makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui4Z1h7PG5s

But yeah, it's a pretty bad movie, though no where near as bad as Die Hard 5. I think may be better than Die Hard 2, but I haven't watched that movie in decades. I just remember finding it an unpleasant movie.

While I agree it’s not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Die Hard 4 makes Die Hard 2 the third best one now

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

Andrew's sheer glee throughout the Eraser episode is so good.

And the Commandomentary, I think a lot of that comes from Steve seeing for the first time as well, but Jupin sure loves his Arnie

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I really should listen to the Twilightmentaries, but that would also require me watching the Twilight movies, and then they'll taint my recommendations forever more.

Second profile baby!

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer
when are they going to get to the Star Wars factory?!? (I know it’s next week. But now is the longest possible time until then

I’m really digging the extra Star Wars shows. I have a big ol box of outdated EU novels collecting dust that i read through my teen years so I feel much kinship with Eric.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer
At least they have the courtesy to make sure other people can watch. As shown when they pulled Terminator 6 due to it not streaming yet

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

Anything coming soon for non patron plebs?

Jump into Melr0210 to go along with the main feed Tuesday ep. I’m powering through both shows before the CBS free trial ends and it’s a good time

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

Why are they doing The Terminal? I'm rewatching it now and this movie's not bad. It's not great, but it's not bad either.

It's okay to like a movie!

I think it’s because there is a Tom Hanks movie coming out now and the Terminal was directed by Spielberg so they have an excuse to do Raiders

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I’m hoping for Big Lebowski, but I don’t know if it’s big enough

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Billy Gnosis posted:

Their Andie MacDowell is the same as Zelda Rubenstein as well :colbert:

Also Sandy, child!

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

FistEnergy posted:

I was just about to post this. Intro creep is starting to get pretty annoying. 3-5 minutes, okay, but pushing 10 minutes?

These eps lately are 2.5 to 3 hours song. It seems to scale to length of episode. When mid episode ads are going to pop in remain a mystery to me though

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Andorra posted:

I genuinely have no idea what movies even came out this year for there to even be enough for 4 weeks. Tenet, Sonic, Bad Boys?

I inferred from the comments near the end that Doolittle was in the mix somewhere

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

My favorite part about this horsehead motherfucker and really all the gleep glops in the gleep glossary is that he can't just be a dude who looks like a horse and flies an x-wing, he has to have a rich backstory involving multiple personalities and blah blah. I guess that's the whole point of the EU but it still makes me laugh that someone somewhere wrote a whole goddamn story for everything in the star wars universe.

The Wraith Squadron series was legit really good, the premise was Wedge recruiting people the other units wouldn’t take so they’re all kind of weird and bad at some part of their jobs. Considering some of the other books out at the time (Luke falling in love with a force ghost on a Palpatine ship) it was good hard sci-fi to have a horse and squid and a fake ewok fly spaceships

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

The Deleter posted:

It's more an energy than the exact tone of voice that they nail, I feel.

There was a lot of energy in “hey listeners…see!” Then a smash edit back to calmer voices. I bet there were a few more minutes after that sentence that didn’t make it into the episode.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Chris’s outdoor peeing adventures has me crying laughing while listening

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

What are some other good podcasts in a similar vein to this one?

I've listened to a few and some of them are OK but none as consistently funny as this one.

The only one I find comes close is Blank Check. It’s got people who are clearly friends off mic, a set of rules it uses to pick movies and there is some overlap in movies as well. But it gets very tangenty (which I enjoy)

All the WHM boys have been on episodes so there are a couple that you could start with. The Total Recall episode is the better of the two, but probably because I enjoy the movie more than Thief

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Andorra posted:

Anybody remember which episode it was that they read Tribune trivia stating that one of the actors walked out at a certain point in the premiere, and then they started coming up with points when the rest of the cast would have walked out?

I was one of the Shrek movies. They were talking about Eric idle getting mad at a Monty Python reference

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

I think the guys are 'old man crankier' then they used to be (still funny, though), but Cabin's "Why mess with tradition" when referring to a jerk off sock REALLY got me. Holy poo poo. They barely reacted to that line, but it was like....line of the ep for me.

No time to react. The next joke’s coming!

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

Predictably, the Dune episode is a whole lot of “oh man x is so awesome, and y, so awesome!” And I just don’t get the enthusiasm for WLM. It’s just not fun.

I agree it’s not as funny but I like listening to them talk about movies in general. They are the episodes I go back to least however. Unless I really am into the movie they are talking about.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Marin Karin posted:

I listen to everything because like I've said in this thread before, I like the guys more than the subjects they cover, and would listen to their Werewolves and Things (mostly Things) podcast. They just hit my love of riffing perfectly.

I do agree to at least check out Gleep and the Nexus even if you don't care for the IPs, though. You might be surprised! Gleeps are like, 20-30 minutes so they aren't huge time investments. And it's just nice to hear Eric talk about something he has an earnest love for since he's usually the most sarcastic/detached of the group.

Gleeps are also good for Chris antagonizing Eric over the subject matter

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

ravenkult posted:

*ad talk*

Am I the only one that's getting 2 ad breaks on WHM? At this point that's 5-6 ads per episode.

I’ve noticed I don’t get pre roll ads anymore. Just the mid ones

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

clown shoes posted:

Never seen The Warriors. Do they come out and play?

This movie comes out and fucks hard. Can’t wait to watch it again

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone know of a podcast that's going to do the Hunter movie? I'm kind of curious but not enough to subject myself to it in its entirety.

Chapo did it in their Patreon ep. Sounds like it’s sub-lifetime

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Cael posted:

I hope he continues to escalate the “feud”, personally.

Logical endpoint is Erik just removes Chris’s audio track entirely.

I laughed a little when he dropped his outro on whichever ep that was

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

SilentChaz posted:

In case anyone was wondering about an Andor show from the guys:

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1572586557479223302

Boba Friend really broke these guys

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Drint Blasters posted:

Listening to the most recent MELR0210 and I will never get enough of Cabin's absolute disdain for Brandon Walsh.

He’s not wrong

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Noted Contrarian Chris Cabin

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Ninja Scroll. It's about time they pay the piper after all the references.

I don’t think I can watch this without a Teletoon watermark and commercial breaks

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

They put Ready Player One on the main feed a few summers ago.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer

The Deleter posted:

That Donkey Kong Country episode is going to kill them. That show looked bad at the time.

After what they did to my poor ReBoot, I can’t wait to listen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I can’t wait for this month to be over. There have been some good eps, but watching this many ape/chimp/monkey movies has been driving me bananas.

I think it’s healthy to think of Patreon subs like streaming services when there is extra content to be had. It’s easy enough to dip in and out to when stuff you like pops up and you can pick and choose from the stuff that was released in between. I do that with the Blank Check podcast. Mostly because it’s hard to watch commentaries all the way through without pausing and getting out of sync when I have the time to do that