Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They have pretty distinct voices but for whatever reason it can be hard to really "identify" people using only their voices, I couldn't tell who was who for a while. It doesn't help to look at their pictures either because they all look the same. But eventually you'll get there.

I actually think Andrew's pretty unfunny, but I love Eric and Steve. Chris is pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Man I listened to a few early Yeah It's That Bad to see if it's a a decent alternative once I finish burning through the WHM backlog and... eh. So far it's like half the length but feels twice as long, they're really good at talking a lot without saying anything interesting. If anything it really drives home how despite the casual vibe of WHM, they really know their stuff, both as film buffs and entertainers.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 13, 2015

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm really starting to appreciate that one guy on a lot of comedy podcasts, the one who's not the loudest or the most jokey, but who has a really understated way of just dropping amazing jokes almost off-handedly, to the point that sometimes no-one even notices until a couple of moments later. Eric's definitely that guy on WHM.

Yep, I grew to love Adam on You Look Nice Today for the same reason.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Mortal Kombat episode is amazing if you find the Christopher Lambert as Raiden impression funny.

Hehh hehh hehh...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They're funny guys and they're still funny when they're talking about a sponsor's product.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I guess I don't see how you can think "C'mon stop riffing about stuff and talk about the movie!", and still enjoy WHM at all, since off topic riffs are kind of their bread and butter. I thought the ads were plenty funny myself.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Man, 1997 was kind of a lovely year for blockbusters. Lost World, Speed 2, Batman and Robin, Air Force One, Steel, Spawn, Kull the Conqueror, and then a brief period of respite before the double-punch of Alien: Resurrection and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, then Tomorrow Never Dies and The Postman to round it out.

Has any year had that many below-average to gently caress-awful "major movie events" before? Like, in hindsight I almost think Titanic did so well because it was a breath of fresh air after the unholy Shitmageddon that was the latter half of that year.

e: You could make a solid argument that said Shitmageddon started in March of that year; Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie, The Saint (which premiered opposite Double Team, though I really like that movie), Anaconda, Volcano, and Warriors of Virtue all came out within weeks of each other, and then Lost World was like a week or two after Warriors of Virtue. Literally the only blockbusters from that year that are commonly well-received are Men in Black and Titanic, which came out almost 6 months apart.

I'm amazed at how many of those I saw in theaters, I must've done nothing but go to the movies that summer.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Also I finally listened to The Lost World and when they were trying to remember what Goldbum's "go faster" quote was I really wanted to jump in and tell them it's "Increase your rate of climb." Because everyone needs to know that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

BlameSpacePod posted:

You're right. Sorry for posting guys! The best trick the devil ever pulled was posting on SA and then, poof: Slenderman.

I'm out! Thank you!

I just wanna say please don't stop posting just because some people are dicks! I totally get where you're coming from about it being ok to like a movie. As I've gotten older I've realized there's really no line between liking something, and ironically "liking" it to make fun of it. It's all just fun; I'll riff on and make fun of bits in my favorite movies when I rewatch them. Your knowledge and more importantly your enthusiasm for film really comes throw and elevates WHM to a truly great podcast, it's very clear that all you guys genuinely love film and know what the hell you're talking about. Keep it up!

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 15, 2015

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kneecaps posted:

I was surprised they didn't realize the Oracle was re-cast because the original died during filming.

They mention that was why, they just later start riffing about how it's funny in the movie logic that she recast herself as another old black lady.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't mind ads, power to the guys for getting paid, but I hate the style of the Uber ad where they read off a script "I use it all the time, I love it, and what's great is you're your own boss, etc". It just puts a bad taste in my mouth since presumably the conversational tone is supposed to make it feel genuine but they're clearly reading off a script. The stuff where they talk about the product and make side-jokes etc is fine.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Well, now that Listener Request Month is up, anyone wanna own up to stuff they called in that didn't get picked up for this go-round? My big one was Sweet Liberty, which was written and directed by its star, Alan Alda, with Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Lillian Gish in supporting roles.

Did you pitch it with those exact words? Because if so I don't know how they didn't pick it :psyduck:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I love when they do a movie I've never seen before and I'm genuinely shocked at something in it. Pretty sure my jaw hit the floor when they revealed that Brainscan actually does the "it was all a dream!" ending.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

WHM derails are great and these guys are way more interesting and informative about their subject than most other podcasts are in general.

DangerDummy! posted:

It might be because I was completely exhausted and in a weird head space when I listened, but I don't think I've laughed out loud more at any episode than Killer Workout. In fact, I think they've been funnier than ever lately. So many episodes in and they just keep putting out a better and better product. It's pretty impressive, really.

I agree, they've really been on a roll lately.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm okay with the presence of ads but I wish I didn't have to hear people I like and respect shilling for scummy stuff like Draft Kings and Uber. I get that it's out of their hands but it still sucks.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The sheer transparency is definitely the most interesting part of King's writing. Sure honey I'll take out the trash. My next book's about an author who wants to murder his wife by the way.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

edit: Wrong thread so I'll just say I enjoyed this episode and I'm looking forward to bond week! Hoping for Live and Let Die.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Live and Let Die is the one where James Bond fights an actual Voodoo god, right?

Yes, he also goes on a blaxploitation adventure in Harlem, and for the villain's death they literally replaced the actor with a black-man-shaped balloon and made no attempt to hide it. He flies up to the ceiling and pops.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, what?

fake edit: holy poo poo you're not kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myc6HpJzgaU

To help that make a little more sense, the object Bond shoves in the guy's mouth is a bullet that causes things to inflate. It's still insane.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What did they decide?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I can't stop humming along to "oh Darth Vader, should ya be goooood?"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I did yes. I went to the arcade and Babbages. When I came back with a Babbages bag she didn't even look over. She really didn't like me, and it was completely obvious. Probably because she was banging some other dude at the same time and was two months pregnant during our date.

It's probably because you left her alone for several hours on a date and returned with a videogame.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It was an understated line but [keanu surfer voice] "Do you want to play a game?" cracked me up.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Vietnamese. EVERYONE loves Thai food.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Prince Valiant is pretty loving rad, I thought it was boring as a kid but when some guy started posting the entire series in the newspaper comics thread I realized it's a pretty classic tale of medieval baddassery with some cool art.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Will Smith would crash the party and refuse to go to the dad room.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I can't believe they had an extended riff on George HW and Reagan talking about Spring Break, without having Bill show up to crash the party.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The Keanu "Brian!" but cracks me up but I don't understand their reference. Someone help me out?

The reference is just trying to take Keanu seriously when he's mad at you.

The Watcher might be one of my new favorites.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ror posted:

Motorin'... ♫♫♫

WHM gets the best emails, it's insane.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Next time Dungeons and Dragons! Hope the guys at WHM are prepared to be educated by a hundred nerds ready to correct any misconceptions they might have.

On the other hand, there is more than enough wrong with Dungeons And Dragons to make for a great episode. Also the movie barely has anything to do with the game in the first place.

Sir, put down your dungeon master handbook.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tbh I'm looking forward to the gang riffing on what looks like a mess of a movie.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Look you can't just compare Superman to some flawless Mary Sue like Jesus. Superman is an important character.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How bad of an idea is it to listen to this episode while at the gym

Do you pee?

You will.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's really boring. It's one of the only movies I've literally fallen asleep watching.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I cracked up at "He wept, for there were no more belts to wear."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I didn't even click the link but that song has still been stuck in my head all day. Thanks man.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

X2 does really suffer from having half the movie set in a gray bunker.

well why not posted:

As of the latest on-screen, WHM is now the world's premium x-themed entertainment.

It sounds like they enjoyed Apocalypse enough, was fairly surprised they were so positive - i've heard quite a lot of negativity about it.

I mean listening to them talk about it you can tell why they liked it, they're wearing their nerd hearts on their sleeves. Which isn't a bad thing: it's okay to like a movie!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I mean we have people in this thread who think Andrew genuinely doesn't know how to pronounce certain words so yeah I can only imagine they poo poo they get from actual idiots.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Their brief mention of Conan makes me really want to hear a We Love Movies on Conan the Barbarian. It's a great movie but it would make great fodder for their barrage of impressions/derails/unpacking of absurd scenes.

Steve said an actor was from Amadeus after Andrew mentioned he was in Ace Ventura 2, and Andrew said that he didn't like the movie. Didn't really go in more depth than that.

It sounded like the other guys were shocked by that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Also, I'll say Andrew is a special kind of Star Trek nerd, who remembers the full registry number of the Enterprise from the end of 4, and all of 5 and 6 (NCC-1701-A), yet not remember plot points from Wrath of Khan (Khan not only doesn't take over the Enterprise, he never steps foot on it. He and Kirk are never in the same room the whole movie).

No big deal or anything. Just funny, to me.

I'm bummed that they apparently wrote off IV as the worst when it's solidly in the top 3 and arguably the best of them.