Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, Wolfcop is definitely more on the "sincere bad movie" end, which really kind of saved it for me.

I didn't dislike Wolfcop, but it definitely is the type of purposefully "bad" movie where the filmmakers place all their chips on the idea of a werewolf sex scene seemingly unaware that "Howling II" beat them to the punch 30 years ago. Like "Kung Fury," it's an homage to Internet summaries of b-movies rather than b-movies themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

precision posted:

Jim Belushi. Always Jim Belushi.

"Fat Ghooooooooooooooooost!" It's perfect, I can see the goddamn VHS box.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jupin's Matthew Broderick impression is simultaneously demeaning and wholly accurate, a rare feat. I can't see that guy anymore without thinking of that impression and the How Did This Get Made? story from someone on the set of Deck the Halls about him moping about that movie being the lowest point in his life - AFTER he had KILLED someone in a car crash.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I listened to the ASM2 episode and I swear there was a point where Andrew called him "Jamie Lee Foxx."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

C'mere, Kingpin, you thon of a bitch! Ker-THPLAT!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

painynumbs posted:

I loved Earnest when I was a kid (the dumb basketball one specifically), so I really enjoyed this. But the part I laughed at the hardest was Steve breaking his chair.

What made it was Eric's deadpan "There's a trick to that chair."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rule of thumb is, if the character is talking to himself, it's Giamatti. If he disparages Jack Kirby, it's Stan Lee. If he uses the term "schmuckin' a J," it's Bruce Dern.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

No there are no payoffs in this movie

Nothing represents this better than the fact that nothing thrown by the guy named "Captain Boomerang" ever returns to him.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

After seeing JW: Fallen Kingdom, it's clear to me that the through-line of the entire Jurassic Park series is, "No, actually THIS is the scariest dinosaur!"

And good job to BD Wong for inventing a dinosaur that will kill a specific person if you point a laser sight at him or her. I mean, if you already have a laser sight aimed at someone you could always just pull the trigger and shoot that person yourself, but then you wouldn't have spent $25 million on a dinosaur that would just kill everyone in the room anyway.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I'm the guy shouting, "No, it was 'And You Thought Your Parents Were Weird!'" in my car until they finally rectified the error and I could put down my tweet. What a tense 30 seconds!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It is hilarious how many times one of the main characters takes a moment to be amazed at how much Dash Rendar reminds them of Han Solo in Shadows of the Empire.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

"Ace Solo, what a guy" :v:

Dash Rendar is the result of the timeline where Jek Porkins convinced his mother to let him start school a year later.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I was listening to the Man of Steel Patreon episode yesterday. They start making fun of Clive Owen for missing out on being James Bond, and Sadjak does this impression of Owen pretending to be Bond in the mirror. He attempts to do the Bond fanfare but ends up mixing it up with the McDonalds “bah dah dadadah” jingle and I think he accidentally created the theme for “Fat Spy.”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mark Millar wrote some very good issues of an all-ages Superman comic back in the day, which makes his insistence on leaning into his tired edgelord bullshit even more sad.

I had heard that he had some health problems a number of years ago and he had said the medical bills spurred him to write outlandish poo poo because he knew it would get published. That doesn’t explain why he thought “The Rape of Wonder Woman” was funny, but there you are.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Brian and the Trickster’s asssitant Jeremy have probably swapped a few stories at Muldoon’s.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Sound of Thunder has an amazing bit where they use green-screen for two characters walking down the street and they seem to be on a treadmill.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I was listening to the Ferris Bueller WLM episode today and I think I figured out the Ferris/Jeannie age conundrum. The question being: Why does Jeannie behave so much like she's Ferris' older sister when Ferris is a senior and she's still in high school with him?

What my theory pre-supposes is: Jeannie is Ferris' older sister, by about a year. At some point early in elementary school, Ferris scammed or charmed his way into skipping a grade. This explains how they can both be seniors at the same time, and also why Jeannie bears such resentment toward him. She's been unduly forced to share the spotlight with him ever since second or third grade.

I'll expect my No-Prize in the mail.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I have the Dante’s Peak episode to thank for introducing me to the phrase “burst squirrels.” Exquisite mouthfeel.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Agent Smith voicemail

“Mr. Anderson, it’s your girlfriend...Agent Smith.”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

clown shoes posted:

Every couple of pages this thread turns into a discussion on ads.

Just keep skipping ahead until you don’t hear “Spanish Flea” anymore.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Ach! I slipped on some chili at Wendy's!

Th- tha’s mah Baconator...

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

JT Smiley posted:

At some point they just got rid of Mickey's nunchucks in the later American seasons and that's around the time I stopped watching.

I remember TMNT getting "promoted" to network Saturday mornings after being syndication-only and that's when I first noticed the nunchucks being nun-chucked. Maybe a coincidence, but I'm sure CBS standards and practices were also on the Brits' wavelength. They also ditched the theme song for some unfathomable reason.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I’m one of the weirdos who prefers Escape From L.A. because of how much goofier it is. Carpenter put more care into making L.A. this bizarre funhouse mirror version of itself than he did for NYC. The movie is more of a comic book than EFNY, and I think it suits the premise better.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Syzska needs to go on Kimmel now so he could get a fair fight.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I started the Wild Things episode today. Everyone's exasperation with the VHS Trailer Game is my favorite thing about it, especially Angelica muttering "This bitch..." after Steve's first "GAMEMASTER'S CLUE:"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It kind of rules that the prequels had like three Darth Vaders, none of whom were the main antagonist of the trilogy.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Wow, turns out Sadjak and I had the exact same Election Night '16 experience, lol. He didn't mention whether or not he finished the movie, I don't think.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Listener Request Month 2024 picks:

Main Feed:
Young Einstein (1988)

May God help us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

It's the only sports movie I like more than Major League. It's also a great example how movies used to acknowledge the working class as normal people and simply can't anymore.

Before I saw Slap Shot all I knew about it was the Hansen brothers and that they made a DTV sequel decades later with one of the Baldwins. I was shocked that Slap Shot was an actual movie with a point of view and characters and everything! The Hansens are barely in it but they gave it the best moment:

”I’m listening to the loving SONG!”