Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I listen to a bunch of funny review podcasts but WHM is the one I'm always most jazzed about seeing an update. The guys have great chemistry and are more solid and thorough in their takedowns than most others. My personal favorites are the ones where they go crazy with impressions of Jesse Ventura or Wilford Brimley goddammut. I could listen to them do the "Skeletor Takes The Kids To ComicCon" bit from the He-Man Christmas Special for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Definitely. Even when it's a movie I've never seen and don't really care about it's fun just because of how off-the-wall the improv can get, like in the Pallbearer episode where they invent a narrative of David Schwimmer having a talking anthropomorphic raincloud as a best friend. Or the Addicted to Love episode where they do an extended imitation of Matthew Broderick describing his ideal sexual encounter that culminates in the phrase "sex so gentle and quiet that if you had it on a boat in the middle of a lake it wouldn't make a single ripple".

The invented characters are great. In the recent podcast for three men and a baby they have an invented doorman who turns a blind eye to their various drugs / horses / women / babies escapades in exchange for cash under the table, shaking his head in shame all the while and muttering to himself about the mortgage. It's so great that they can just pull this stuff out of nowhere.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also, Steve's story of the guy yelling at his kid during the He-Man Christmas Special episode is in the top 5 funniest moments in the show's history for me.

The whole bit with Skeletor taking the kids on a shopping trip is one of the highlights of the whole podcast. Its also the moment I realized that The Monarch from Venture Bros is basically Skeletor.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

The Blind Fury episode was great, I'm so happy they loved the movie as much as I do. If you haven't seen it you should. It's really a great Zatoichi homage and a lot of fun.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

I love how offended Andrew seemed to be at the very notion of cartoon characters getting along with each other when not "performing".

That was great, but they justified it pretty well by comparing it with Rodger Rabbit, which establishes an off-screen world where toons are just performers and have their own personal lives, whereas the Looney Toons don't have any such world established, they just interrupt the broadcast for more importan poo poo.

:goonsay:

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Did anybody else notice an audio issue with the live Green Lantern episode? Sounded like everybody got autotuned. Like all computery. This after they PROMISED the sound would be perfect!! Or it may have just been a problem with my download. Whatever, it was funny and it sounded like they were singing so win win.

E:

Bolek posted:

So did Kanye do a gig in that place before the guys went on and forget to take his auto tune machine with him what the gently caress

well should have read better.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Battle Rockers posted:

I'm going to try a direct stream from their site.

Ugh, I still notice it.

Weird, streaming from the site fixed it for me.

A little slow to start going but once it did with the "cat diarrhea" Paralax, the ineffectiveness of the Lantern guys (why are you in a space ship, your ring goes faster) and Hal Jordan's total dickness in this thing made me laugh.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

This was kind of a thing for the ages for me. When I was a kid I was a Mortal Kombat fanatic and devoured everything MK related I could find. I loved the poo poo out of the first movie because I was an MK-obsessed kid and still harbor affection for it because it is trash but has good memories attached. But MK: Annihilation was one of my all-time most disappointing movie-going experiences (the other being The Neverending Story 2. Stay tuned?). I made long rants on message boards about how much it sucked.

Loved the first MK episode they did, but this one was cathartic. I feel like nobody's heard of this thing and I've never seen anybody give it a thorough reaming like that. Good job guys, kick that movie's rear end.

Also, possible Animation Damnation: that Mortal Kombat cartoon that there was like six episodes of but somehow stayed on the air for a year or more.

Croisquessein fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 11, 2015

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

I love the WHM guys but I could not finish this episode. Entourage and similar stuff ranks so low on my givafuckometer I can't concentrate on what they're saying.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

...them having Pippi be some unhinged gun-toting psychopath with a death wish...

They only partly made that up.

For me it's how they fume about what an insufferable poo poo Pippi is. The writers were trying to make her a free spirit, but the filmmaking undercuts that by having all the other characters be nice and reasonable so there's nothing for Pippi to rebel against and she just runs amok like a chimp through their lives in a way that would cause lasting damage in the real world.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Count Chocula posted:

I dunno the constant 'but what about school!' made them sound a bit square.

The orphans need an education to raise themselves out of poverty! The teacher is looking out for them! Why is Pippi trying to destroy their future??

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Also I think the guys missed the point a bit about the way the movie presents Schwimmer's character as an rear end in a top hat loser, since that was the entire point. He insisted he was an adult but his room was full of toys. He complains about his mom barging into his room because he's 25 years old but is having a giggly sleepover with a friend and asks her to make them chocolate milk.
Don't get me wrong Tom is super unappealing but that was the entire point

I haven't seen it but from the episode I got the feeling we weren't supposed to outright loathe him though. Like, we were supposed to think he was endearing in his loserness, and he'll be ok eventually, if only he can get that girl he obsesses over. And then at the end he just has a career and he's grown up, but do we actually see him grow up? I get irritated when characters' problems are solved off screen because that's the interesting part of the story. The whole movie should be about how he stops being a whiny loser and gets a life, imo. But it's also a lot harder to write.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I liked the discussion of how best to unnerve the people viewing your execution

They're great at coming up with that stuff, like how to make a mess at your hanging from Judge Dredd.

"Citizen Szyszka, are you sure you want 16 bean burritos for your last meal?"
"Just you wait."

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Wow, I couldn't take more than a few seconds of that.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

They totally brought back my childhood with the Unsolved Mysteries aside. It really was two shows, the "missing children and escaped murderers" show and the "ghosts and UFOs" show. It was enjoyably creepy and I spent a lot of bored summer afternoons watching that kind of stuff as a kid.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

If u weren't watching an unhealthy amount of Game Show Network u were spending ur child summers wrong imo

I got my old game show education mostly through Nick At Night, we didn't get the good stuff like The Comedy Channel or the Scifi Channel until like, 2000. By then I had to get a job.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

This is just the greatest. The little pop when the magic self-replenishing grenade launcher goes off, and the sad attempt to make it fly forward instead of fall off.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

It's MacLeod, guys.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh, and the episode with the mentally retarded immortal. Holy poo poo.

Is that the one who beheads himself by laying on train tracks?

My dad has like ten box sets of the Highlander show.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

The He-Man and Sheera Christmas Special from Animation Damnation was amazing for the "Skeletor takes the kids to ComicCon and yells at Billy for drinking his Rockstar" bit alone.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

The Duke posted:

Shocking lack of Addicted to Love on this page :ughh:

Seeing Picard reminds me of how horrible their Patrick Stewart impressions always are. They kill it with most of the other ones but for some reason that's their sucky one.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Well they are. Hardly any accent, it's like, lower voice with weird intonation, boom, done. I could do a better Picard and I'm a chipmonk-voiced girl.

That said, their Nick Nolte is so good it makes me concerned for their health.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've incorporated "gleep-glop aliens" into my vocabulary as of late.

Yeah, gleep-glop covers so much of the nonsense in scifi it really comes in handy.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Down On His Luck George Lucas needs to be in there somewhere.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

They could do I Love Trouble, that's supposed to be pretty bad too.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Don't forget Zangief's confused "You got paid?"

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

New character, John Cellphone, joins Eric Movie and Charles Cinemax III in the "out of nowhere" club.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Count Chocula posted:

I'm naming aliens in No Man's Sky 'scrunts' and 'gleep glorps'. Pretty funny listening to the Star Trek ep while playing it since they have a similar plot.
How harsh are they on Jupiter Ascending? If they mock Speed Racer or Sense 8 too much I probably won't be able to listen.
Maybe I should send in my story about carrying giant cardboard JA standees home and spending a month with Balaam Abraxas watching my lounge room.

I don't think they mention either of those, and two give it a recommend because of how weird it is. I personally think it deserves the abuse, it's a conglomeration of bad choices, but it's watchable. And I like that Terry Gilliam scene.

Speed Racer is great, especially when you're high.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

No. Though there are some turtle images. No idea what's in store for the second.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I don't have time to relisten, but didn't they just mention Henry Dean Stanton in a joke during their It review? These guys need to stop mentioning actors in their podcast, if they are just going to die shortly thereafter.

It's the RLM curse, it's enveloped WHM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Nightmare as in weird fever dream, or nightmare as in clearly too loving scary for kids? Because LBT had to have like 15 minutes cut out, including changing the ending, for the latter reason.

Hard to believe, considering the vision of Hell in All Dogs Go To Heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWUNnHt2N-E