Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I like WHM and I tend to put it and another show called "Bad Movie Fiends" into my MP3 rotation. They're both I think fairly similar, but I think I get the difference between the two is:

WHM: It's a near-professional comedy podcast that happens to also review a (mostly) commercial movie.
BMFCast: It's a relaxed movie review/commentary show for B-grade/DTV movies that also happens to do a lot of comedy.

Also, BMFCast spends the second half of an episode talking about random movies they've seen and I think they did a run of watching all the 007 films, a movie a week, leading up to the release of Skyfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I ashamedly can't tell all of them apart either. However, in part, I listen to BMFCast, We Hate Movies, No Quarters (same crew as BMFCast). So, several hours a week of new material by 6-10 different people. This, coupled with different audio quality, different/similar films being covered, listening on different devices, hosts doing voices, etc.

I honestly sometimes misattribute one of their reviews for another. I figured it was WHM for a few weeks that did "Elves" and "Garbage Pail Kids" and not BMFCast.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Sabotage is a fun 'background' movie that you can have playing while trying to put together a computer, build a model kit, watch a better movie on your iPad, etc.

It's a movie I agree with the concept that Arnold was entirely wrong for. I could see Willis or maybe even someone like Danny Trejo in that part. Also, I think the film would have been better with an actual extra subplot or something to thicken up the story. I still think you cut out the first part of the film and move it to near the end of the movie where the guy is spilling his guts to the detective, it maybe makes it would have helped.

I still sort of think if we started off the film with just video footage of the interviews with Arnold and his team, the team getting put back together, and we're left for a huge portion of the film with not knowing fully what happened, if anything, except for the insinuation they may or may not have had something to do with the missing money and a guy was killed on their team. Did they really take the money? They may be scumbags, but are they 'honest' scumbags? Is the DEA leaking that rumor to the cartel and using Arnold's team as bait to lure them out? Was there ever any money? Are they being hunted down for/by someone else? Etc.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Man, 1997 was kind of a lovely year for blockbusters. Lost World, Speed 2, Batman and Robin, Air Force One, Steel, Spawn, Kull the Conqueror, and then a brief period of respite before the double-punch of Alien: Resurrection and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, then Tomorrow Never Dies and The Postman to round it out.

Has any year had that many below-average to gently caress-awful "major movie events" before? Like, in hindsight I almost think Titanic did so well because it was a breath of fresh air after the unholy Shitmageddon that was the latter half of that year.

e: You could make a solid argument that said Shitmageddon started in March of that year; Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie, The Saint (which premiered opposite Double Team, though I really like that movie), Anaconda, Volcano, and Warriors of Virtue all came out within weeks of each other, and then Lost World was like a week or two after Warriors of Virtue. Literally the only blockbusters from that year that are commonly well-received are Men in Black and Titanic, which came out almost 6 months apart.

Not disagreeing with your or anything, but I started looking at it and I'm not really sure. Face-Off I think was very well-regarded at the time it came out that year. I fully admit not all these are 'major event movies', but looking at it I seem to see quite a bit of things in retrospect about 1997 as a whole. Trying not to duplicate myself in here, so some things are maybe not in the right categories:

Family/Kids movies: Power Rangers, Cat's Can't Dance, That Darn Cat, Masterminds, Jungle 2 Jungle, Hercules, George of the Jungle, A Simple Wish, Good Burger, Air Bud, Rocket Man, Bean, Anastasia, Flubber, Home Alone 3, Mr. Magoo, Mouse Hunt, Warriors of Virtue.

Big (and smaller) action movies: Dante's Peak, Lost World, Speed 2, Batman/Robin, Air Force One, Con Air, Peacemaker, Starship Troopers, MIB, Kull, Steel, Spawn, Fifth Element, Titanic, The Saint, Double Team, Tomorrow Never Dies, Volcano, Face/Off, Metro.

Comedies with relatively older/established Leads: Vegas Vacation, McHale's Navy, Father's Day, Out to Sea, In and Out, Man Who Knew Too Little, Deconstructing Harry, For Richer or Poorer.
(A very lackluster years, even more so if you consider Williams in Flubber, Nielsen in Mr. Magoo, Martin Short in Simple Wish, Murphy in Metro, etc).

Comedies with relatively younger/fresher Leads: Private Parts, Liar Liar, Sixth man, BAPS, Chasing Amy, Grosse Point Blank, Romy and Michelle's..., The Matchmaker, Austin Powers, Addicted to Love, My Best Friend's Wedding, Money Talks.

Dramas/Dramadies: Donnie Brasco, Selena, Devil's Own, Breakdown, CopLand, GI Jane, LA Confidential, Soul Food, The Edge, The Ice Storm, Kiss the Girls, 7 Years in Tibet, Boogie Nights, Playing God, Red Corner, The Jackal, Rainmaker, Midnight in the Garden of Good/Evil, Good Will Hunting, Murder at 1600, Amistad, The Apostle, Jackie Brown, Kudlun, As Good as it Gets, Wag the Dog.

Sci-Fi/Horror/Other*: The Game, Lost Highway, Conspiracy Theory, Alien Resurrection, Contact, Event Horizon, Mimic, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Devil's Advocate, Gattaca, Life less Ordinary, Scream 2, American Werewolf in Paris, Anaconda.

I know there's not a lot of 'greats' in there, either from a critical, commercial or after-the-fact cult following, but I think some films types ended up overall doing better than others at the time or in the long run. Also, most of them likely had small enough budgets where making even $30-50M wasn't seen as a horrible 'flop'. Kids/Family movies look to have been mostly lackluster performers, the old guard of comedy seemed to be suffering a bit, movies that the 1996/1997 internet movie geek crowd were getting really hyped up for didn't do too well at the time, either.

Still, a lot of interesting stuff I recognize but I am surprised I have yet to see, myself, maybe due to some of the 1997 backlash of mediocre reviews on release.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

God drat there were apparently a lot of total stinkers in 1997.

Still also a lot of stuff that seems like it made it a better year than it seems, though.

Despite either commercial or critical reception in 1997, stuff like Gattaca, Austin Powers, Wag the Dog, Event Horizon, Boogie Nights and Grosse Pointe have sort of developed a following

Overall, though, as I said, when I look at that list, almost none of the really hyped and buzzed films of the year except Titanic and MIB really seemed to do what was expected of them. Pretty much the entire Kids/Family category feels like a wash. Almost none of the action movies were huge successes. Comedies overall seemed like they were weak that year.

Could 1996 been a worse year overall than 1997? It's a year that gives us in theatrically released films, in addition to the relative and real hits of things like ID4, Scream, Ransom, Primal Fear, etc:

Bio-Dome, Two if by Sea, Dunston Checks In, Lawnmower Man 2, Big Bully, The Juror, City Hall, Mr. Wrong, Mary Reilly, Unforgettable, Up Close and Personal, Down Periscope, Homeward Bound II, Executive Decision, Diabolique, Race the Sun, Sgt. Bilko, Fear, The Substitute, Celtic Pride, MST3K, The Quest, Mulholland Falls, The Craft, The Great White Hype, Last Dance, The Pallbearer, Barb Wire, Flipper, Heaven's Prisoners, Spy hard, Dragonheart, The Arrival, The Phantom, The Cable Guy, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Striptease, Courage under fire, Multiplicity, Kazaam, Fled, The Frighteners, Joe's Apartment, Matilda, Chain Reaction, Jack, Escape from LA, House Arrest, The Fan, Bordello of Blood, The Island of Dr. Moreau, Brady Bunch 2, Carpool, First Kid, The Crow:CoA, The Stupids, Bulletproof, Bogus, Maximum Risk, The Rich Man's Wife, Last Man Standing, Extreme Measures, 2 Days in the Valley, Mighty Ducks 3, The Glimmer Man, Crash, The Ghost and the Darkness, The Long Kiss Goodnight, The Chamber, Thinner, The Associate, Larger than LIfe, Dear God, Jingle All the Way, Daylight, Mars Attacks, My Fellow American's, Evita.

Not saying these are bad movies all, many might have been good but just failed to be all that successful, but of the two years it overall 1996 is maybe more disappointing than 1997.

edit: 1996-The 'The...' Year of movies.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 11, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

You know what was a good year for movies? 1999. I don't know if it was people being afraid of Y2K or something but as a year as a whole, 1999 produced a huge amount of amazing films.

Other than the stand outs of dramas and sci-fis of 1999, I think 1999 could be defined as the year of low-budget edgy teen-aimed/young adult movies, too.

Never Been Kissed, She's all That, Varsity Blues, Cruel Intentions, American Pie, The Rage Carrie 2, Go, SLC Punk, Election, Idle Hands, Blair Witch, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Dick, Detroit Rock City, Teaching Mrs. Tingle, Drive Me Crazy. Not saying that films like this had never been out in number before or since, but was such a youth-centric year in film all things considered. I don't know if it's a result of the Scream movies or the sudden pop culture popularity of various young music groups that helped drive all these to go into production or what.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Fezz posted:

Side Order of Sleaze for School Spirit. Itself a sexist piece of garbage.

Everytime I listen to the School Spirit episode, I'm reminded of something I keep forgetting to write the show about : ANOTHER (potential) Shazam/Capt. Marvel/Billy Batson connection.

Long story short, there is another DC character called Kid Eternity. He's a kid who died before his time, so the afterlife lets him live again with the bonus of having essentially School Spirit-grade 'ghost powers' and an old mentor figure to help him out.

How does this tie into Capt. Marvel? From Wiki...

Wikipedia posted:

In the early 1970s, DC decided to revive Kid Eternity. Unlike most of the Quality stable, who were depicted as living on the parallel world Earth-X, Kid Eternity was retconned into the Marvel Family of Earth-S, which DC had acquired from another former competitor, Fawcett Comics. This change was made because the Kid's power bore such a similarity to the Marvels—after a magic word was spoken, and a character who had not been present arrived in a bolt of lightning (although unlike the Marvels, the Kid himself did not disappear). In this revival, the Kid was given a new name—Christopher "Kit" Freeman, and became the brother of Captain Marvel, Jr. (Freddy Freeman). He is shown to live in the same neighbourhood as Shazam and the Elders, Eternity.

I'm sort of surprised that with the success of Bill and Ted's about 5 years after School Spirit came out that they didn't churn out a sequel called "School Spirits" and just used the other powerset of Kid Eternity (to call forth historical figures from the afterlife) to make a Bill and Ted's college boob comedy.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 14, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
WHM never did Santa Claus: The Movie from the 80s, have they? Because I've never watched One Magic Christmas but SC:TM always came off as super creepy holiday film to me, for some reason. A Christmas where we're sort of left to assume the main badguy has accidentally killed himself into space.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
In the era before podcasting I used to listen to some live streaming radio station and they had a fairly large amount of ads between and in shows, but I don't think any of them actually had the on-air talent advertising things.

Along that line though, I remember how they'd sometimes interrupt a commercial because "something was going on during the live show and holy poo poo we need to get back on the air right now" and other times they'd go, "We need to play about 10 commercials in a row right now because we've missed the last two breaks."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Despite HTTM2 being really dull, I think it's just too boring and lazy to find anything worth riffing on. Was the Vacation remake/sequel maybe more worth a worst of 2015?

I'm sort of guessing 50 Shades of Grey will almost have to be on that list, though: Super high-profile, highly-successful erotic romance seems like it could be really have a lot of material for them to work with. Maybe Mr. Cinemax will make another appearance.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I was more a Starlog man, myself.

According to Wiki:

quote:

"On December 5, 2007, a warehouse operated by Kable News, in Oregon, Illinois, which contained all back issues of Starlog and Fangoria magazines, was destroyed by fire. As back issues of Starlog are not re-printed, the only remaining back issues are now housed in private collections or those available on the secondary market."

"Jeremy! THE FEDS ARE ONTO US! Somebody talked! Quick, burn down the warehouse with all those back issues in it! I'm going to be breaking all the CD-Roms with a hammer!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'd love to recommend a few more episodes of Captain Planet sometime to them. It's one I bring up a lot, but the India episode where a girl gets attacked by a dead cow in a river of poo poo, everyone gets horrible stomach virus infections, Wheeler the SMARTEST character of the team, and Cap solves pollution of the Ganges with the help of literal Hindu religious figures... It's a thing.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There's an episode where a magic yeti presides over a court of extinct animals to judge humanity's worth, with the Planeteers as defendants.

There's an episode where the Planeteers visit a virtual universe full of bizarre crossover animals, and get attacked by a goatbear.

There's an episode where Looten Plunder uses a clone beam to get cheap child labor to build flamethrowers.

There's an episode where Dr. Blight travels back in time to sell nukes to Hitler

Captain Planet is a goddamn goldmine.

There's also an episode about a civilization of intelligent, 'evil(?) mice that destroy themselves due to overpopulation and the the good mouse decides to not let the Planeteers save him and his family because they probably deserve to die, too.

I think the Planet Alert PSA from the end of the episode was literally telling children about sensibly engage in population control. Holy poo poo, if that was on the air today...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Halloween 3 is still the only Halloween movie I've ever seen all the way through and I still love the hell out of it. Around October, it was one of those things in constant rotation in various late night movies on TV.

Hell, I'd love to see a movie about a year AFTER the events of Halloween 3 where you maybe can assume you've lost a huge part of a generation children. Halloween has become seen as some sort of horrific national day of mourning where people are preparing for the first Halloween since the Shamrock Incident.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

I would legit watch that movie. You never see any horror sequels that deal with the real fallout of horror movies, apart from the previous Final Girl/Guy getting axed in the first ten minutes.

Once people got a taste of death and the eerie peace and introspection that followed it, they decided to have a yearly night of killing. It's a prequel to The Purge.

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, it was multiple channels (the commercial gets cut off twice, and the kid changes the channel). But somehow Atkins was able to call all of television at once and talk to the owners of the different channels without having to hang up and redial.

Was he maybe limited to just local channels, too. Anything outside that area is maybe still showing it.

I sort of like to imagine that after the events of the film there's some sick people who have VHS tape recordings of the commercial and clandestinely have a bunch of old masks hidden away as a known way to kill people. Mobsters, serial killers, gangs, etc. You get on their bad side, you find yourself with a mask on your head, tied to a chair, and facing a Silver Shamrock Commercial on a TV.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

kalensc posted:

Spy Who Shagged Me has to appear during some future Summer Blockbuster Extravaganza.

Spy Who Shagged I still think is a legit good movie. Goldmember, on the other hand, is a mess: Legal problems during production, running jokes into the ground, body comedy that just doesn't work, bad musical numbers, origin stories, bad new characters, way too self aware.

Sort of surprised Austin Powers just hasn't been reborn as a series of Austin Powers, Jr. DTV things like how Ace Ventura got a Ace Jr.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Rahonavis posted:

My God, it's real. poo poo, they even gave Junior a pet horrible little goblin thing like in the Punky Brewster cartoon. :cry:

Yeah, I seem to remember it as a really bad early USA original animated series, too.

They've done GI Joes and the Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue? They need to combine the two since GI Joe had a storyline where they teamed with Cobra to fight a drug dealer.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Gyges posted:

Man, those are the worst team ups. Sure I'm part of a global domination paramilitary organization primarily utilizing terrorism as my tool, but I'm not drug dealing scum. Good guy/bad guy team ups can be good, but you've got to utilize a better reason than "Hey I'm a bad guy, I'm not EVIL over here."

COPS did one, too, where the cops and crooks joined up to defeat a bad guy called... ADDICTEM.

Addictem - A drug dealer who was selling Crystal Twists that were causing people to become addicted to them. He tried to join Big Boss' gang only to be denied since Big Boss does not do drug dealing. Because of Addictem spreading his Crystal Twist drugs across Empire City and Berserko falling into a Crystal Twist crate trying to steal the Mayan Gold, Big Boss and his gang had to team up with COPS to stop Addictem's drug ring. When Addictem was chased into the hospital and grabbed by Berserko, Addictem surrendered to COPS to evade getting beaten up by Berserko. Addictem was sentenced to life in prison and those who were affected by the Crystal Twists are recovering from them.

I don't even know how many shows did this during this era, but I can see the notion of maybe it happing if there were some sort of FCC request to put some anti-drug story in cartoons they couldn't have their long-standing 'baddies' be drug dealers. So, create some throwaway characters that show that drugs are so bad that not even COBRA or the school bully will touch them...

I don't really think any of the shows that appeared in Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue had a very special drug awareness episode of their own shows running around that time.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Still better than "it turns out they were dead the whole time/they died and this is just their imagination before death" scenarios that make up 99% of every fan theory.

The Hoober-Bloob Highway makes up the other 1%

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The AotC talk does remind me that it seems like they should have just had Bug Planet and Tattooine be the same place. The Republic barrelling down on Tatooine to take out a secret Droid factory on it could have maybe given the whole thing a few more connections to the OT and even the TPM.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

weekly font posted:

Baby Anakin gave it to her his first time in space.

Then their second time together he gave her his old droid.

What I'm saying is that they should have draped a deactived C-3PO over her body as they sent her away for burial to act as her servant in the afterlife.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think the rigid body language of Affleck might have been intentional as a way of showing off that due to the character's blindness, they're supposedly not supposed to have much in the way of visual stimulus to react to. No need to turn your head to glance around or make eye contact with people or scan a room when your radar sense is picking all that up.

However, when I see him stomping out of Wayne Enterprises on his way to a Turkish Airlines flight, I'm not sure...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It's a very common complaint I hear about just about any unpopular movie with CG effects from the last 20 years, though. I hear just about every movie critic using "This looks like a cartoon, I have literally played PS1 and N64 games with better graphics, SyFy channel shark movies look better, etc." a lot anymore.

I have to be honest, it's about the ONE criticism I hear from anyone that does get on my nerves a bit because it seems to be so frequently done by every critic.

That being said, no, it didn't age well. But I'm sure circa 2000-2005, it was pretty impressive for the time, but you sort of see how a lot of stuff didn't feel like they knew how to do CG like that to make it feel like it had weight and mass to it. I know I tend to give older effects a pass, though. Also, because sometimes when you're trying to be stylistic and cool looking, you end up sacrificing realistic looking CG for something to show off an effect; having a 'cool' effect to show off that you have an effect is better than having a 'realistic' effect to show off that doesn't look like one, I guess.

Also, watching that clip again, I forgot how over the top stylish that film attempted to be. It's a film that I seem to remember in geek circles reviewing well, but I remember as much fan criticism being directed at Jennifer Garner in the role of Elektra rather than MCD as Kingpin (but, poo poo, I remember when people foamed at the mouth over Kingpin having hair in the Trial of the Incredible Hulk, too.) It was sort of funny how many people in the early 00s were actively pushing for Lucy Liu to be Elektra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
A lot of Flying goblin is still sort of too effect-looking, though. Between both movies, though, I don't think they'd figured out how to seamlessly transition between CG actor and live-action actor in that time, you get these more CG'd looking scenes that would suddenly cut to another shot after sticking the landing to show a live-action character from another position. It's something I think we have probably gotten a lot better at to keep the flow of action going and make us believe that the characters/actors come across as more real, though.

edit: That, coupled with just CG getting that much better, too, so that even completely CG scenes look real.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 11, 2016