Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Hider in the House is pretty stellar. One of the joys though is when they come across a movie that they legitimately enjoy. It happens from time to time where they think something is going to be crap and it turns out it was great. I think Hard Target ends up being like that. Tuff Turf is pretty fun as well.

I prefer over HDTGM because I feel like they overdo it. There's no real breaking anything down it's just OH MY GOD WHATS UP WITH THAT?, except really loudly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

weekly font posted:

That's not how I remember hearing it. Hawkes is just in the movie for like 10 seconds before he was anybody and I think that's what they're referring to.

Yeah that's what happens. It's more that oh John Hawkes is here as his fishing buddy, that's weird.

Also, there's been a fair few movies I've not seen that they've covered and I don't feel like I've missed anything.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

I like WHM and I tend to put it and another show called "Bad Movie Fiends" into my MP3 rotation. They're both I think fairly similar, but I think I get the difference between the two is:

WHM: It's a near-professional comedy podcast that happens to also review a (mostly) commercial movie.
BMFCast: It's a relaxed movie review/commentary show for B-grade/DTV movies that also happens to do a lot of comedy.

Also, BMFCast spends the second half of an episode talking about random movies they've seen and I think they did a run of watching all the 007 films, a movie a week, leading up to the release of Skyfall.

On that note, there's a podcast called James Bonding which is pretty good. Their Live and Let Die episode with Paul F Tompkins is great.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I only just caught the Three Men and a Baby episode. The continuing tale of the doorman was great, though it doesn't make enough of the fact that basically Nancy Travis is just a horrible person.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

precision posted:

I, Frankenstein is on Netflix and I keep meaning to watch it in a "how bad can it possibly be" way.

It feels like it should've come out in 2009 or something. I love the incredibly dumb idea of trying to set it in the same universe as Underworld though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

It unfolds in the last two podcasts. They cryptically mentioned that the show may be coming to an end depending on what happened in the next week and for the next show they revealed that somebody had revealed their personal information which due to them being regular guys with a healthy work/home separation wasn't info they wanted to get out there. So they thanked everyone for listening and used the last show as kind of a wrap up to say their goodbyes and reflect on the experience of watching all of those movies. I think they realized it wasn't something they wanted to do forever and this greatly accelerated the process. It's a drat shame, because it was my absolute favorite movie pod.

The Flop House and WHM does help to fill the role of "People from New Jersey/New York who are funny and watch awful movies". Just listened to WHM's Timecop and it's a new favorite.

It's actually worse than that. The guy who did it did so under the guise of 'people have the right to know' and was basically shilling his own crappy product while doing it. They had asked him not to because they want to keep their work and private lives separate from the podcast, and basically said to him that if he does it then they can't carry on. They just wanted to do the podcast and that's it, then some idiot called their bluff and doxxed them so they shut down.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah it wasn't the best episode, but then there's not a lot to pick apart in that movie. It's just sort of a generic thriller until the climax, which still isn't really that good. It's not a joke to say the most notable thing about it was the sex scene.

I did just listen to Best of the Best 2 again though, now that's a great episode. There's always a sort of glee about them when they find something they genuinely enjoy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Thing is no one sponsors WHM though. Their claim they couldn't use music doesn't hold water. Don't you get like 30-60 seconds because they it just counts as a clip?

Anyway, they've had as many classic episodes since ep 150 as they had before it. Not every episode is a hit. Seventh Son was loving terrible, and you can tell when they flounder because they become reliant on just doing impressions.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I mentioned it before but I think the lack of clips is way more egregious than the music. Not that they need to suddenly be clip heavy or anything, but it's good to throw a few in there when it needs it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I feel like every time someone asks the best episodes I'm the only one who mentions Gymkata. It's one of the first ones they did where they legitimately enjoy the movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Face/Off is a weird one. It is absolutely way way way too long and Travolta and Cage are simultaneously hammy while also maintaining a tricky balancing act with their performances. There's something about Woo's brand of melodrama that just doesn't work in the US. When it works it works great, but there's a whole load of poo poo that people forget about when they think about that movie.

Hard Target is still Woo's best American effort.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

I'm A big Woo nerd and, yeah, his US efforts are all below the standards set by his Hong Kong releases. If anyone here has never seen any, I can't recommend enough that you track down The Killer, Hard Boiled and A Better Tomorrow. Bullet in the Head is also classic, but set aside a solid block of time to get real sad - it's depressing for a Woo film, which is like being extra salty by the standards of rock salt.

I got super excited when they said they were doing a Belushi film, then instantly disappointed when they said it wasn't Retroactive. That movie is a-list WHM material.

Yeah I mean Woo is great, but his particular style just didn't gel with US movies (Hello M:I 2). For all of its bombast, there's stuff about Face/Off that just falls flat, particularly if you see it more than once. It's one of those things I loved when I was younger, but when I watched it again it's like oh wow, there's another hour left. I feel like there's a great 90 minute movie in there somewhere and like they said on the latest episode, it's over half an hour in before someone says the word 'face'.

I still legitimately go to bat for 'Hard Target'. It's pretty streamlined, which is good, and Lance Henrikson is so loving good.

Isn't Retroactive the one with Shannon Whirry in it?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

As it turns out, what Face/Off needed was Jean-Claude Van Damme locking himself in the editing room and trimming all the fat.

When I first discovered you could get such itmes, one of the first things I bought was the workprint for Hard Target that's essentially Woo's cut. Do you like nature shots of animals being hunted? Because that's what you're getting.

It does feature a lot more Lance Henrickson though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I don't mind the impressions. The only time I found it tiresome was with Seventh Son, because it's clear they have nothing to say so they keep going back to their Jeff Bridges impressions. I think I turned it off half way through because it seemed like they were struggling. Belushi and his constant circle jerking is always funny though.

In other news, I just learned that Belushi is in the new David Simon show...what a weird career he's had. For someone who's known for 'comedy' he's actually a much better dramatic actor (Salvador, Gang Related).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

I recognize exactly what Snyder was doing in Sucker Punch. It was still a real bad movie though. Like woooah.

This, basically. I like Snyder generally, and I appreciate what he was trying to do, but the end result is still something that's muddled to the point where he undercuts his own message.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

He was really good. I loved the fact that like half the episode was them making jokes about The Twilight Zone.

Listening to him talk about bad movies makes me sad a little sad that USA Up All Night was a little before my time so I never got to see him hosting.

Like part of me wishes that for stuff like this he would just drop the voice, because it was largely a regular conversation where they just chatted poo poo. But I do like them just gabbing about The Twilight Zone, but I wish they talked about Fairlane a bit more.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

In case anyone wondered, this is the Gottfried video with the impressions they mention early on. HIs James Mason and Richard Burton are actually really good (The only other person I've seen do Mason well is Bill Hader).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRyEAz41-14

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Their newest episode covering The Lost World is a classic.

"The T-Rex in Don't Wake Daddy!"

It's not bad, there's some things there that are entirely too nitpicky at times. But they already lost me when they claimed that JP3 is better.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

weekly font posted:

It's absolutely better but like 2 is more than 0.

Even Spielberg sleepwalking, and supposedly not directing all of it, turned in something more memorable than JP3. Lost World is no great shakes, and has some awful moments, but it has a handful of great sequences.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

So in The Lost World episode, they quickly mention that Dennis Nedry was either Hammond's son or nephew. What? Was that a thing? I always assumed he was a contractor, hence the line, "Get Nedry's people on the phone." Was this actually mentioned in the movie and I've just never noticed it? Or something from the book?

I completely forgot that they bring this up. I don't know if someone misspoke but they were all in agreement that Hammond and Nedry were related for some reason.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

precision posted:

In the film he sarcastically calls him "Dad". He says something like "Thanks a lot, dad". He's definitely related to Hammond because there was something in the book about how he only got the job because of that.

Also, we watched Master of Disguise last night and I legitimately don't remember anything about it. :tinfoil:

I'm pretty sure Hammond mentions in the movie that they only got Nedry because he's the only one who could handle the workload.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I don't like living in a world where Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey is considered a 'stay tuned'.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

It's not bad, but drat does some poo poo happen in the course of that movie.

I think it makes up for it just through sheer ambition and ideas though. It gleefully goes where sequels generally don't. I don't think it's entirely successful as a movie, but there's a lot more good in it than bad.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

I'm glad that I'm finally not the only one who thinks Wentworth Miller is terrible on the Flash.

Nah. He's just embraced the campness of the whole thing. I mean, look what they've given him to work with really. He's a dude who runs around in a Parka jacket and a freeze gun. Him and Purcell are just having a lot of fun.

Plus Miller wrote STOKER, and that was great.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Heteroy posted:

It better not be Back to the Future III.

Edit: I know this probably doesn't count as a valid movie for WHM, but I was just looking at Chris Lloyd's Wikipedia page and holy poo poo he appeared in the interactive theater experience Mr. Payback. Also, Pirahna 3DD which is barely a movie as well. I get the impression that Christopher Lloyd doesn't turn down many roles.

For the longest time I thought he was doing alright because he had a producer credit on Frasier and Modern Family. Turns out it's a different Christopher Lloyd.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bogus Journey is awesome and inventive and I'm not sure why they keep making mention to it. You might not like Station, but the rest works great.

They were also surprisingly down on Looper and in particular Bruce Willis, which is weird because between that and Moonrise Kingdom it marked a brief moment where Willis was engaged again.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

BlameSpacePod posted:

"They" of course means 1 person on the show while Chris and I both defended Looper on the air.

Regarding Bogus Journey, and DragonHeart, and every movie you love: sometimes we enjoy watching movies that aren't Nukie-level and I think we're able to mine it for jokes a lot easier producing all in all a better podcast. I think some of the the best episodes often come out of "middle of the road" movies. We've also gone on to recommend movies we do on the show, which I think Bogus Journey would definitely get.

I'm really starting to feel that with WHM we can't do anything right. People complain when we did Camp Nowhere since it was "too small" of a movie, then when we do big movies like T3 or DragonHeart people complain that they "like" those movies. I genuinely like a lot of movies we've covered. I nearly shut down the mere notion of doing an episode on The Running Man for instance but then I realized: it's OK to like a movie, let's have fun discussing it. It's just a fun conversation. I don't think we ever intend anything we say on the show to be the "definitive" opinion and often when I lurk somewhere, I feel bad about the way the show is perceived but that's on us, I know. I just want to post and say, hey, dudes, I feel you and I'm not trying to crap on things just to crap on them. I want to goof around about them.

We also mention "STAAAATION!!" a lot because it's a funny concept to us, which is probably a credit to the film we're referring to...

Don't mind me folks, I just wanted to stress despite our show name, tones, and demeanor, this show is not coming out of purely negative state. We love movies, we love watching movies, we enjoy what we do. We do it for a reason and that has to say something about even the worst movies we discuss. I always felt like we should be more-so labelled a "movie" show than a "bad movie" show.

Anyway, sorry I don't mean to be a buzzkill, I want to also sincerely thank you all for listening. It's been an incredible journey going from a cynical jerk in NYC to a cynical jerk in NYC with a podcast people actually enjoy. It means the world to all of us over at WHM Headquarters. Thanks guys.

Now I just feel like a dick for saying anything.

I'm a big fan, even when I don't always agree (Lost World for example - we all have our faults) because I think you guys are great at what you do. I've even sought out stuff that you guys have covered (Prey For Death). My Bogus Journey comment wasn't a 'WHY ARE THEY MAKING FUN OF MY FAVOURITE MOVIE' thing, just more that I always thought Bogus Journey was well regarded. Of course ultimately what matters is if it's funny or not, which it always is. As someone else said, we're just shooting the poo poo between episodes. Though I understand how frustrating it must be to hear 'Why are they doing this/Why aren't they doing that' all the time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I watched Hard Target just because of the WHM episode. Goddamn masterpiece, it is.

I liked Hard Target so much when I was younger that I used to have a workprint of it on SVCD because I heard it was a lot better and closer to Woo's true Director's Cut...

I like to think I was ahead of the curve at the time, but it really wasn't worth the time it took to seek it out.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I wish I could find it now - I can't believe that it's been harder to find than it was a few years ago - but when Dragonheart was originally put into production, years before the one actually released, they had a practical dragon they had built and the tests for it were done with a very young Clive Owen, who was set to be the lead at the time. There's only stills of it that existed, but there's a pointless bit of trivia for you, and of course the dragon looked much better.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I am almost surprised at how much I hated The Canon.

It started terribly, but I think later on they settled into something good. Their Blow Out/Saturday Night Fever episodes were really good, as was Pretty In Pink, if only for highlighting how odious parts of that movie are.

I hate saying it because I like her writing but Amy Nicholson is out of her depth in some ways. Faraci is a dick, but he'll make a great observation about the subtext of a movie etc and then as a counter-point Amy will say 'Well I found this interview the Director did...'. I think when they're so strongly opposed is when the show is at its worst, when you think it should make it better.

Flophouse is weird because the movie stuff is so non-existent that I don't know why they bother with it. They clearly don't have much interest in it. You'd think WHM would be the best of the bunch except it's people who love the sound of their own voices proclaiming a incidental moment to be the 'craziest thing ever!!!!!!'

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you mean How did this get made?

I'm a dick, but yes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

I actually agree, though yeah, we're in the minority. Reloaded was incredibly boring. They went from point A to point B because someone told them to, and there are no real stakes. The kung fu is something people do because, well, why not? He fights the Oracle's guard because they haven't fought anyone in a little bit, then they stop, smile, and go see the Oracle. Pointless. And almost every fight is in beat, as in each punch and kick comes at a regular *hit* *hit* *hit*, making the whole thing seem more like a dance than a fight for your life. When Neo meets the new agents at the beginning he fights them, saying "Upgrades", I guess to explain why he doesn't just blow them up like he did Smith at the end of the first one, but he doesn't even try. Because, again, we need to have kung fu for no reason. The highway scene was interesting, but again is an example of doing something because we did it in the first one, and there's way too much slow down speed up shots, for no reason here. There are no stakes to almost everything they do.

The third one finally has some stakes, and they're going towards goals, not checkpoints someone sent them to. The dock fight has some silly moments, but it's an intense fight for their lives. Same with the Dragonball Z fight at the end, silly, but at least something is finally happening.

Don't get me wrong, they're both bad. But Reloaded commits the greatest sin of being so incredibly dull and pointless.

In hindsight I agree. At the time it was like oooh Reloaded has all the action in it, but it's also pretty ponderous and is just a whole lot of people walking somewhere, having a philosophical discussion and then going somewhere else while possibly having a fight.

The the Burly Brawl happens and it all goes to poo poo. At the time I wasn't that big a fan but it looks loving terrible now. Watching a shiny, plastic Keanu Reeves isn't really that fun.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Probably not, because unlike a lot of movies, you can't even describe what happens in it.

It's weirdly such an ambitious mess that I don't really know how you can make it funny. But I can't even bring myself to dislike it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dominos is probably the king of that.

I'm sure it's the same in the states, but over here a lot of Dominos stores will deliver until 6am just to take advantage of the student population.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's pretty funny they mention Andrew Kevin Walker writing BRAINSCAN, since on his Se7en commentary he talks about how he was stuck writing terrible schlock like ABUSEMENT PARK. He was basically given a logline and then told to come back in two weeks with a script.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Only just listened to the STIGMATA episode for some reason, and that loving Diablo name was amazing. The episode is worth it just for that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Freddy Vs Jason was actually one of the best cinema experiences I'd ever had. It was packed and everyone was into it, so much so that I came away insisting to my girlfriend at the time that it was amazing. I took her to see it like a week later, in a screen that only had like 5 other people in it and I think I ended up apologising at the end.

Still though, it has some moments that I liked. And sorry guys, but I got no love for Kane Hodder either.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Isn't Kane Hodder kind of a total rear end in a top hat IRL? I've heard some not-good things.

Also, you know, I agree with most of the WHM gang's points about Freddy vs. Jason, but it really is kinda more than the sum of its parts. A lot of that dumb stuff, you don't even really notice in the moment because the film keeps up such a constant energy.

Basically yes, and he has this whole 'Only I should play Jason' thing going on. By contrast Derek Mears is the opposite, and a really nice fella.

I think that FVJ is something that succeeds when it does because of Ronny Yu. I mean, the movie is dumb sure, but it also sort of zips by and doesn't really outstay its welcome.

Also, the bigger crime is what happened to Monica Keena...Yeesh.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bill Burr does the best ads because he's merciless about just making fun of the copy (And doesn't do the 'I totally use this product' thing).

Anyway, despite not really liking FvJ this is the first episode in a long time that I just couldn't gel with. I think the movie's crimes aren't dumb enough to really make it stand out, and it has enough fun scenes to handwave a lot of dumbness (The first kill and the corn scene are worth watching it for).

Saying that I only saw it twice and that's when it came out. I'd probably feel different about it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Chris doesn't deserve to be on the podcast because of his messed up opinion on Demon Knight. Billy Zane was never better.