Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait, is the novel actually substantially different?

Not substantially no, but it's arguably a little more sympathetic to the Gypsies than the movie is, and the 'Thinner' scene itself is massively downplayed compared to the movie. It's essentially Richard Bachman channelling Tales From The Crypt, which was one of the ideas behind King using that name. He just wanted to churn out these fun, nasty little tales. It does end differently though: He straight up just gives the pie to his wife (There's no imagined affair) and of course his daughter eats it as well. Then he sits down and eats the rest of it himself.

It's not like it's some great King masterwork or anything like that. It's just a silly story about Gypsy curses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The F13th remake is probably like the third best one. The only that sours me on it is that it has a sort of mean-spirited tone that doesn't quite jive with the rest of the more fun aspects of the film.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's pretty funny that Never Say Never Again kind of combines the old man stuff from Skyfall and the 'it's just a bad bond movie' stuff from Spectre. I'm actually surprised that they don't mention the link to the previous Bond, because that was a pretty big aspect of it, albeit in not quite the comedic way it was here.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

IDENTITY is a knowingly ridiculous fun little movie. Great to watch once and not think about again.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

DangerDummy! posted:

I'm with Steve on Identity. I honestly remember almost nothing about it, other than it was one of the few movies that actually made me angry.

I can't fathom a movie making anyone angry, but it commits to its very daft twist in a way I liked. And I'm a sucker for 'And Then There Were None' type stuff anyway. I'm not by any means arguing it's an underrated classic or anything, and it's been years since I watched it so my opinion might change.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

In case anyone wondered what did actually happen to Andrew McCarthy he spent a while as a travel writer and Directs on the side. Well done pre-Matthew Perry.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wish I could remember how I found WHM because I've been listening to it since the second episode. It's one of the most consistently funny shows I've heard.

Same here. I literally have no idea where I heard of it (I think it might've been on the AV Club), but I listened from episode 3/4 onwards, back when they were a lot shorter. I miss them using licensed music.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I was fine with Rey in Star Wars (I actually think that the movie gives a lot of information over without really beating you over the head) but I can certainly see why she gets the Mary Sue complaints since nothing she achieves really feels earned. I just think that maybe she's too good right away. Luke makes that one in a million shot, but that's his only big moment in the whole film, Rey has a few of them. I kind of feel the same way about Chris Pratt in JURASSIC WORLD who is shown to be always super competent and always right.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Gyges posted:

Other than a couple instances of being lucky, which is every character in the entire series, what did she do that was particularly Mary Suish? For Star Wars protagonists she seems well below the bar set by Luke and his daddy.

I put earlier that it's not something that I totally buy into because I do feel the movie gives you enough to just accept it. But I believe the most common complaints is that she's never flown the falcon before and flies it like an absolute pro, then semi-masters the force in no time at all. The Mary Sue moniker is probably more apt than most because she's literally shown to be a fangirl of the 'original' movies. She knows the stories about Han and Luke etc, she even has memorabilia. It's purposeful of course since the bad guy is a Vader fanboy as well.

I think the argument is entirely overblown anyway and personally think it's just a JJ Abrams thing of distracting you from some issues by surrounding it with some excellent poo poo. I have much bigger issues with the nostalgia trend which is a big thing in the Disney/Kathleen Kennedy/Spielberg camp right now.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

Don't forget that Poe had never flown a TIE fighter before and Finn had never manned a turret. Hell, Han hadn't even fired Chewie's laser crossbow before!

Right, I mean I'm happier just calling it bad writing than I am the whole Mary Sue thing because it's also something in STAR TREK as well. Kirk doesn't really have to go through anything, he's just an ideal captain. He doesn't need to learn anything to get to that point. Abrams tends to skip those parts of the hero's journey where they stumble and fall first so it gives the impression that all the characters are hyper-competent.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Speaking of MORTDECAI there was a look at Twitter tie-in accounts and what happens once the movies come out. Some are just sad (That WRATH OF THE TITANS one).

http://uproxx.com/movies/movie-twitter-accounts/

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yaws posted:

Anyone watch the movie they were in?

Yes. It's...a stay tuned.

Really though it's fine, but that's it. I'd actually like to see the guys do something else but it reminds me of so many other white people problems movies that I had to sit through.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

Pretty much all their complaints about Deadpool were plusses for me. I loved that it was so much smaller in scale and that it didn't end on a downer note.

Yeah I just listened to this, and their Oscar episode, so that's a nice double-bill of dubious opinions.

I didn't love DEADPOOL, but I did think that just making it simple and low-stakes completely worked in its favour. You don't need anything bigger than that, you don't need a conspiracy or some grand overarching plot. It kind of reminds me of the Marvel Netflix stuff, where it's a lot more just grounded (For a comic book movie). I also think that making his girlfriend be as filthy and as funny as him was refreshing (Even the damsel in distress stuff doesn't hold seeing as she gets herself out of it) but they seemed to take it as nerd pandering.

I do agree the villain was a whole lot of nothing though, and if it's going to be that bland then just get someone who can bring some personality to the table.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I really can never bring myself to dislike THE SHADOW. I love the stagey art-deco look of it at least. It does fall apart in the last act however.

THE PHANTOM is an attempt at a swashbuckling serial that just doesn't work at all and DICK TRACY is just sort of a big indulgent mess.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I'm sure this has been covered, but both versions of the Keanu Reeve's involvement in THE WATCHER are actually true. He himself says that his name was falsified and as he couldn't conclusively prove it he did it because it was a tiny role instead of going through a legal battle. Then his role got beefed up on top of that. Clearly something was up because he refused to promote the movie when it came out.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Eh! Frank posted:

I'm actually still interested in seeing Batman v Superman despite the reviews but haven't gotten a chance to go see it yet, so I'm skipping today's episode until then. Instead, I've been listening to some of the older side episodes that I hadn't listened to yet. I started the "Star Trek Into Darkness" On-Screen episode looking forward to them ripping into that piece of garbage movie, but nope. They all loved it, and I think one or two even said it was their favorite movie of that summer. :wtc:

So yep, it's certainly OK to like a bad movie.

edit: On a more positive note, the "Top Five Movie Deaths" episode is great

I can't fathom of anyone liking INTO DARKNESS. I would actually prefer to watch BvS again than watch that, though it does have an excellent opening.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

bango skank posted:

I'm pretty sure Morpheus calls him Batman at least once when telling supermanClark to drop it and write the foosball story.

Yeah he does, it's even in the trailer.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

That quote where he clunkily compared himself to Verhoeven after 300 does make me wonder how much he actually believes though
People kind of easily fall into this "oh man what a neck tattooed dude bro" cliche with him in a kind of tiresome way, even WHM did it, like I'm pretty sure the dude is an enormous comic book dork regardless of the fact he likes to lift
Then again, he did say he wanted to adapt The Fountainhead. I hope it's full of slow motion piss jars and burlesque shows and at least one Oscar Isaac song and dance number (anything to post this again)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBVExpGMuB0

He did also say that he saw The Fountainhead as being about the creative process, which at least doesn't make it seem like he was interested in just making a straight adaptation of the book.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I'm kinder on the move than most others, but I thought her theme was loving terrible. It's like a riff that plays when you level up in a video game.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The reshoot thing got debunked afaik. Take Devin Faraci with a grain of salt, especially regarding DC stuff.

Eh possibly, but to be fair whoever his sources have been on DC stuff they've been legit.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Shirec posted:

You guys, Sucker Punch is so bad. I had never watched it, and just heard of it's shittiness, but wow. The Punchmentary made it bearable, and there were a few times that Andrew Jupin and I lined up on 'What the gently caress?!' but I'm shocked that anyone ever let Zack Snyder direct a movie again.
Also, it was surprisingly hard to find a non-director's cut of the film.

Eh The Director's Cut is better. It still has issues, but the theatrical release cuts some pretty key stuff. I think it fails under the weight of its own ambition but I feel like that ambition is only really there in the additional scenes. The theatrical cut is basically what the Director's cut is arguing against.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I just re-listened to BLAME IT ON RIO and I always seem to forget how creepy that movie ends up being. Also both listened to and watched HARD TARGET again. That movie really is so much fun and personally I enjoy it more than FACE/OFF.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I forgot how good the Prey For Death episode is. Limehouse WIlly!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It must be cause I'm used to Meltzer's semiliterate stream of consciousness writing style but Observer nonsequiturs will always be funny as hell.

There's lists of them out there just about WCW and every one of them is gold because Meltzer sounds like he's losing his mind. I was always partial to:

quote:

Kevin Nash then came out with a black girl, I guess to show that he is cool.

quote:

Sting and Vampiro fought in a graveyard. Vampiro broke a tombstone over Sting's head and he fell into a grave. Offically, because Sting may have died, this match was ruled a no contest.

quote:

Savage speared Rodman into a garbage bin. He then threw a guy out of a portable toilet and locked Rodman in and knocked it over. Rodman came out looking none too happy. Gorgeous George came out and gave Rodman a low blow. I guess that's what Rodman gets for raping her in that trailer.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 19, 2016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

This just reads like the opening line to a great book.

quote:

"La Parka was reading the financial pages when Madusa propositioned him."

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The problem with Woodward's WIRED is that people just took it as gospel and came away thinking that's what Belushi was like. The thing is, Woodward isn't actually incorrect; events happen in the way he tells them. He just either doesn't put things into context or seems to completely misconstrue what people have told him.

This piece, from a Belushi biographer, is actually a pretty good look at it: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/03/bob_woodward_and_gene_sperling_what_woodward_s_john_belushi_book_can_tell.html

quote:

Take the filming of the famous cafeteria scene from Animal House, which Belushi totally improvised on set with no rehearsal. What you see in the film is the first and last time he ever performed that scene. Here’s the story as recounted by Belushi’s co-star James Widdoes:

One of the things that was so spectacular to watch during the filming was the incredible connection that [Belushi] and Landis had. During the scene on the cafeteria line, Landis was talking to Belushi all the way through it, and Belushi was just taking it one step further. What started out as Landis saying, “Okay, now grab the sandwich,” became, in John’s hands, taking the sandwich, squeezing and bending it until it popped out of the cellophane, sucking it into his mouth, and then putting half the sandwich back. He would just go a little further each time.

Co-star Tim Matheson remembered that John “did the entire cafeteria line scene in one take. I just stood by the camera, mesmerized.” Other witnesses agree. Every person who recounted that incident to me used it as an example of Belushi’s virtuoso talent and his great relationship with his director. Landis could whisper suggestions to Belushi on the fly, and he’d spin it into comedy gold.

Now here it is as Woodward presents it:

Landis quickly discovered that John could be lazy and undisciplined. They were rehearsing a cafeteria scene, a perfect vehicle to set up Bluto’s insatiable cravings. Landis wanted John to walk down the cafeteria line and load his tray until it was a physical burden. As the camera started, Landis stood to one side shouting: “Take that! Put that in your pocket! Pile that on the tray! Eat that now, right there!”

John followed each order, loading his pockets and tray, stuffing his mouth with a plate of Jello in one motion.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

About A Boy is great.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah CAN"T HARDLY WAIT is 90s as hell, but it still works despite it. And it's a drat sight better than SHE'S ALL THAT.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think I like Last Stand better than at least 2 other X-Men movies, including APOCALYPSE. Lord knows its filled with dumb poo poo, but at least its not boring.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Did Singer actually publically call out Halle Berry?

Not quite. There was the "Kiss my black rear end" line that's attributed to Singer, but he claims what she actually said was "You can watch my black rear end walk out of here", which is the better line. He blames himself though because he was delaying a miserable production. It's blown up into 'SINGER HATED BERRY' stories, but it doesn't sound like that was the case.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 31, 2016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Apocalypse is loving terrible, it has nothing to do with people wanting to poo poo on it, it's just outright bad and at time genuinely incompetent film-making.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

precision posted:

This is how every Bryan Singer X-Men movie goes so that checks out.

I distinctly recall being so absolutely bored coming out of the theater for the original X-Men 2 and not really getting why people loved it.

First Class is the best X-Men film, hands down.

The love of X2 escapes me too. I feel it has a great opening, a fantastic Wolverine fight and then an ungodly amount of time with people running around corridors.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

kalensc posted:

It's not on the app but an excellent oldie is GYMKATA.

It's probably my favourite episode. I think it's the first example of them doing a movie that turned out to be one they genuinely enjoyed.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Was it before or after hider in the house?

I was convinced it was before because I thought Hider In The House was post episode 100. As it turns out it's fairly early in the show's run.

Another they genuinely end up enjoying is BEST OF THE BEST 2, which is pretty high up there in the 'White Guy Karate' genre.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Croisquessein posted:

They could do I Love Trouble, that's supposed to be pretty bad too.

I LOVE TROUBLE is largely just a misfire. It's only really been interesting because the two stars detested one another. Roberts called Nolte the worst actor she's worked with and he said she was a terrible person.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

well why not posted:

Meanwhile, Uhh Yeah Dude has never had anything less than stellar audio quality for a single episode, despite running since the dark ages (2006).

It's really obvious who cares.

Been running since 2006 and it's still completely underrated.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

My thinkmeat seems to recall Eric mentioning Retroactive - the evil Jim Belushi time travel thriller - as a Stay Tuned. I really, really hope they get to it, since it feels like it was willed into reality by the WHM collective consciousness.

That, by the way, is on Edgar Wright's list of his 1000 favourite movies. I actually think it was a solid little picture and it came at a weird time where Belushi was kind of a straight actor again (He's legit good in GANG RELATED).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

One of the best things to come from ASM 2 (And the Sony hack) are those studio notes from Kevin Feige, which it looks like they promptly ignored:

quote:

There are too many story lines and we need to choose which ones we are focusing on and lift out the other ones, ie; could reduce father arc to just Roosevelt?

Could cut out plane crash and Richard destroying spiders and start on armored car – don’t start with Spider-Man….let the danger/stakes to NYC build first and then have Spider-Man enter the scene heroically.

Tone down Paul Giamatti performance, so he seems a bit more menacing and less cartoonish.

If you cut Richard from the opening and the plane crash maybe you could instead do Harry coming home and seeing Norman at the top of the movie as a cold open.

Really love Electro – feels like you may not need the scene in his apartment, which makes him seems completely crazy and hard to relate too.

Like the idea that eel goes in his mouth and instead of burrowing, you see it glow within him…

Need to set up the Power Plant earlier, visually.

Seems like the movie switches pov’s a lot…why are we in Max’s pov during the car chase, worth looking at this playing out from Spidey’s pov.

There could be a better way to reveal that Peter is missing graduation – maybe when you cut Gwen you cut to the wide shot?

Tiny note – don’t think Peter would lie to Gwen about sirens --- maybe he just downplays it…

Stan Lee Cameo – maybe need a little more emphasis on Peter here trying to get out of his costume and not be in seen…set up a little more the pressure of the principal getting closer and closer to calling his name.

Instead of seeing the ghost of Captain Stacy, can just here the voice in Peter’s head and maybe flash back to the last movie? Don’t think we should add Cap Stacy back into car chase.

There is too much back and forth with Peter and Gwen – can we recut the Dim Sum scene so that it doesn’t feel so repetitive of their break-up in the last movie – Can Peter be more honorable and definitive and less wishy-washy?

Why do we need a year to pass…

Harry story feels like the main plot of the movie – Peter should look into the past b/c of Harry – maybe find some photos of them together as kids…use obsession wall more to set up this part of his past not just what happened to parents.

Not sure what Peter learns at Roosevelt is entirely correct. We’re distracted by the idea that Peter became Spider-Man b/c of his father’s blood --- all this special back story with his super-scientist dad fights with the idea that Peter is normal kid from Queens who becomes the greatest super-hero in the world…

Andrew’s performance is all over the place…a lot of crying and then a lot of mania. Hard to track him emotionally sometimes. It undermines his reaction to Gwen’s death b/c he gets upset and emotional a lot.

Don’t like the idea that May tells Peter his parents were spies b/c two seconds later he finds out they are not and it again fights with the idea that he’s an ordinary kid.

Like the idea that May finds out he’s Spider-Man – finds his costume instead of just the rosemary harris wink-wink all the time.

Kind of like the morgue, but hate the dancing mortician – cliché.

Are you using VFX to show how Electro is travelling from one point to another (bursts of electricity).

Need to underscore capture of goblin…more sirens as you linger on the clock 1;21, 1:22 am (nice touch).

Surveillance scene should be about following Harry not Peter…no one should be following Peter.

Can Electro hum Itsy-Bitsy Spider before he plays it electronically…maybe we can use this again.

Maybe intercut the ending montage and hearing Gwen’s speech with someone going into special projects and revealing more easter eggs and see that the rhino case has been broke into and the suit is missing…great way to transition to rhino ending.

Don’t need Aunt May in the kitchen.

Spider-man needs to feel more directly responsible for preventing the planes from crashing.

Don’t show New Yorkers looting.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I miss when the themes were just something tangentially related to the movie they were watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I get annoyed with that because they all pretend they know nothing about wrestling.

It was obvious when they namechecked Paul Heyman in an old episode that they always knew more about wrestling than they let on.