Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So I guess I was one of the rare people to have seen blame it on Rio already? Might be one of my favorite whms. I remember it being pretty creepy and weird as a teen. Oh god I can hear the goddamn soundtrack playing in my head as I type this out gently caress it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjvlkbJ9DZw auuuugh gently caress this song and their glassy dead eyed stares
Great movie for Stanley Donen to go out on gj dude. Apparently it was based on a French script (duh) so I blame them.
And Rio

I'll start donating the day they announce their podcast dedicated to repeatedly rewatching and reviewing Blame it on Rio every episode until they go insane

I specifically remember seeing this on TV as a kid. And my parents had rented A SHOCK TO THE SYSTEM. I'd also seen THE HAND as well, which meant I was versed in all the WHM Michael Caine movies without having to see them again (Though I have no idea why my parents were ok with me watching BLAME IT ON RIO in hindsight).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

That was a good rating of the HALLOWEEN franchise they did. I'm probably closer to Steve's or Andrew's rating of the movies. I don't mind Zombie's version all that much (The second is better), but the nature/nurture stuff is some real CRIMINAL MINDS bullshit.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I mean UHH YEAH DUDE has been making episodes since 2006 and have never been on a network, so it is possible to do. It's only recently that they've taken to Patreon since they've been staunchly against selling episodes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've seen Mystery Men a ton and I don't even like it.

Same. For a while I had myself convinced that if something looked great then it must be good. But I tried watching it again (Oddly around the time WHM covered it) and thought oh this actually is bad.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

Called in a request for Retroactive,
the Jim Belushi time travel thriller. Why? Because, it's the Jim Belushi time travel thriller.

That actually made it onto that big list Edgar Wright put together of his favourite movies. I actually kind of really like RETROACTIVE.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah you gotta go with some crazier Segal. Not his recent DTV poo poo that's just boring. They already did ON DEADLY GROUND as a live episode but it would be good to see them do it properly.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Any BRAINSCAN fans in the house?

Andrew Kevin Walker made his original script available on this website. It's a staggering 149 pages long.

He also gave some background on it. He wrote it in 1989 for some low rent company that went out of business. Then unbeknownst to him years later someone bought it and made a movie out of it. As he notes though, most shockingly of all THE TRICKSTER was someone else's invention.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ZollagvQoFUFZwVVFtUjJmUlU/view

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Given how their feelings on THOR changed I wonder if it'll be the same for BLACK PANTHER (Though ultimately BP is the stronger movie). There's a lot I really like in that movie, but in hindsight, its flaws become more apparent. It sounded like Steve was about to address something that bothered me as well with Daniel Kaluua's character but he gets interrupted and drops it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I generally agree with their views on INFINITY WAR but there were a couple of spots where I thought come on guys, get your thinking cap on. The most obvious was the Hulk being a petulant child thing, which is clearly a result of the opening fight and the second is..

Why does Spider-Man get a longer death scene? Well he feels it coming before it happens, which is the advantage he gets over the others. Though you know he's coming back that was arguably the only character death that worked for me mainly because of how Holland plays it

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Gillian Anderson gives so little fucks it's an inspiration. Both she and Duchovny came back happy to do more and just wound up so done by the end of this trainwreck.

Yep, though it seems that they came out of it better friends than they ever had been. Just imagine if Vince Gilligan or Darin Morgan spearheaded that revival instead and not Chris Carter who was never much good to begin with.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Did Gilligan even want it? He's co-showrunning Better Call Saul these days.

Nah, he got asked to contribute but he said that he was too busy. If it wasn't for BETTER CALL SAUL then he probably would've.

Pops Mgee posted:

Both of the new X-files seasons were pretty drat good in the middle. The problem with them was they were both bookended by horrible Chris Carter episodes that spat in the face of the characters and any fans that were still onboard. I get that he’s the creator, but someone should have wrestled control away from him. How you can keep churning out absolute failures like he did towards the end of his run and be allowed to keep trying, I have no idea.

The best episode of the first go round with the werewolf, was a THE NIGHT STALKER script that Darin Morgan never got to use, so he pretty much just did a find and replace on the names instead. Carter is still just endlessly wrapped up in his stupid overarching plot nonsense. He feels like a real 'right place right time' type of guy, particularly considering that MILLENNIUM got vastly better when he left and Morgan and Wong took over.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

In addition to this I've been watching Good Bad or Bad Bad on YouTube. It hits a similar line with the guys (Though less tangents) but so far their choices of movies have been pretty stellar. They've done a good run of White Guy Karate movies, including some utterly bizarre 80s choices that I think WHM would love.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah Cabin's grousing about the Soul Stone scene was a little odd to me because he acted like it was lazy, or that the filmmakers were unaware it already happened once? Like, we knew the rule of the Soul Stone before they ever get there. We know what has to happen.

Cabin aside, they're always a little lenient towards Marvel movies though. I still do not understand what they saw in CAPTAIN MARVEL, which amazingly manages to botch her introduction in a way that those movies typically don't tend to.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I don't think the twist in SERENITY is actually all that bad, it's just the execution totally fails it. However, I thought it fit right in to Knight's questions about morality and right and wrong, which is what all his films are about.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Haven't seen the Whedon cut. Liked ZSJL though. Big heart to it. Strong showing from everyone. Visually looked great. Too long but paced out well overall.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Eh I dunno. There's a league of lovely people who put their weight behind it because they think it gives them wins over 'sjws'. And given some of those same vocal people are working on an expose of how Snyder's supposed nihilism contributed to his daughter's suicide it's clear that it was never about him or the movie to begin with.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

Doesn’t really mean anything unless you can point to those harassing Eric being of that ilk.

lovely and toxic fans exists too, you know.

Course they do. There's also no indication those fans that harass others are even fans at all as much as they are people who just tweet search for any dissention (and given the few I've come across are blatantly bots, some of those harrasers aren't even real). But at this point why poke at that nest knowing the worst of the worst are going to pop out of it. There are Korean pop fans who will happily ruin you if you don't like their favourite group. There are Marvel fans who would brand you a mysoginist for not liking CAPTAIN MARVEL. lovely sides of fandom exist everywhere. Bad faith actors exist everywhere. Just block and move on.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 31, 2021

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

No sympathy when you start poking that bear knowing full well what happens and then acting oh so shocked when it happens. It's starting to make the boys look a little bitter. Though not for nothing but the Nolan batman movies are even more sexless - even by today's standards - so it's pointless arguing over to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I like IRON MAN well enough, but it is funny to see that from the start Marvel movies had weak third acts. The stuff with Bridges never really gets off the ground, though it makes sense given they started filming without a finished script, I don't know what excuses they have now.