Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JetpackHowwy posted:

I find Eureka Seven to be an alright show. It starts out fine with Renton getting accustomed with his new life, becomes very engaging when the plot actually progresses, and then gets a bit unnerving with the introduction of Norb because it seems like everything dipped in quality after that. There are exceptions such as Ballet Mechanique but not much other than that.

This is more or less how I felt; it was an alright/pretty good show, but I don't really understand why so many people seem to think it's incredibly good/one of the best anime of the past __ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Just throwing my hat in to say that this is a show worth giving a shot. The thread has already stated the flaws I see (annoying kids, first half of season 2, 50 episodes was too long, etc.) but this series is still really good. Fantastic OST, compelling character development, likeable characters, great art direction make it a fantastic series.

I made the mistake of trying to watch AO. I'm not watching past the first episode. What the hell is going on?! Why the hell is Japan a country again after the events of the first series? When does this actually take place? Before or after the first series? Why did they already give away the fact that the kid is Eureka's son? They thought we wouldn't care otherwise? Why does the kid's hair turn white in the promo for the next episode? What did I watch?! I'm tempted to watch the movie. Please tell me if it's anything like AO. If it is, I'm avoiding it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mad Lupine posted:

Just throwing my hat in to say that this is a show worth giving a shot. The thread has already stated the flaws I see (annoying kids, first half of season 2, 50 episodes was too long, etc.) but this series is still really good. Fantastic OST, compelling character development, likeable characters, great art direction make it a fantastic series.

I made the mistake of trying to watch AO. I'm not watching past the first episode. What the hell is going on?! Why the hell is Japan a country again after the events of the first series? When does this actually take place? Before or after the first series? Why did they already give away the fact that the kid is Eureka's son? They thought we wouldn't care otherwise? Why does the kid's hair turn white in the promo for the next episode? What did I watch?! I'm tempted to watch the movie. Please tell me if it's anything like AO. If it is, I'm avoiding it.

All of the answers to your questions are genuinely stupid.

The movie is...an interesting failure? I didn't care for it at all, but it at least made an attempt at doing something.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The movie basically told off E7 fans for daring to come to a E7 movie to watch E7.

It had a decent message, but it didn't actually deliver on it and just ended up looking really dumb.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Nirvash did become a space wizard in the movie so that's something at least.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm in the "tried to watch it as it aired on TV but it did nothing for me" camp. I'd say I watched at least 75% of the episodes and did eventually see the end of it but found it pretty boring. I'll consider giving it another shot since marathoning a show can be a different experience plus I'd be able to skip through most of the annoying bullshit.

malleusmalefic
Jan 1, 2014
Watch AO just to see grown up Renton and Eureka, and also Fleur and Elena. Disregard all the crazy nonsense.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked the first 2? 3? Episode sof AO. I thought it was interesting to see a semi-Independant Okinawa as a setting in a japanese anime. And then Truth arrived and single-handedly ruined the show. From that point forward, it was all complete garbage.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I liked the first 2? 3? Episode sof AO. I thought it was interesting to see a semi-Independant Okinawa as a setting in a japanese anime. And then Truth arrived and single-handedly ruined the show. From that point forward, it was all complete garbage.

but enough about your posting!!!!!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

malleusmalefic posted:

Disregard all the crazy nonsense.

I decided to do just that by stopping after three episodes. They didn't have to gently caress with all the feel-goods from the first show, rassa frassin mrfmf grrrbl.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!
I'm looking at the dvd sets for this on rightstuf.com and they're $13.99 each (just the two I think?). I know pretty much nothing about this show except that there are surfing mechas. Given my love of things like Turn A Gundam, Votoms, Zeta Gundam, and 08th MS Team, do you think I would like this show?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would recommend it even if you didn't like any of those things. Because it is great.

Liking those as well doesn't hurt though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

I'm looking at the dvd sets for this on rightstuf.com and they're $13.99 each (just the two I think?). I know pretty much nothing about this show except that there are surfing mechas. Given my love of things like Turn A Gundam, Votoms, Zeta Gundam, and 08th MS Team, do you think I would like this show?

i think 3/4 of those things are sick as hell so you may like eureka 7.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

muike posted:

i think 3/4 of those things are sick as hell so you may like eureka 7.

Nate RFB posted:

I would recommend it even if you didn't like any of those things. Because it is great.

Liking those as well doesn't hurt though.

Mmmkay. I'm just trying to gauge how much I'll like it without posing an open-ended question like "What Gundam is this show most like?" Hitting 3/4ths of those notes sounds like it's worth a shot tho.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's also on a few streaming sites (Hulu and maybe Funimation as well?) so you could always check out a few episodes that way and then splurge if you wanna keep going.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

I'm just trying to gauge how much I'll like it without posing an open-ended question like "What Gundam is this show most like?"

I'd say E7 is more or less like the dance episode of NGE made into an entire series.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

I'd say E7 is more or less like the dance episode of NGE made into an entire series.

"Both of You Dance Like You Want to Win" is probably my second favorite single episode of any anime ever. I'm in for the whole show and the movie.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Redcrimson posted:

Which episode of NGE is RahXephon?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

The Devil Tesla posted:

Which episode of NGE is RahXephon?

I dunno. The most boring one, I guess. :rimshot:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

If you like Turn A, you'll like Eureka Seven. It also has a bit in common with Gundam X if you like that show.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Redcrimson posted:

I dunno. The most boring one, I guess. :rimshot:

now come on that's unfair i love rahxe...rahxepho...rahzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Eureka Seven is definitely one of my favorite shows of all time. It handles character development amazingly well and has a setting that I found really interesting. The prequel manga to the games that I never played, Gravity Boys and Lifting Girl is good too. If you're a fan of the show and haven't read them, get on it. There's no stuff about Coralians in it or anything and it benefits from it.
The series also turned me on to acid house music and Supercar, which I'm super thankful for.

The movie didn't bother me much since I knew from the beginning that it was a non-canon "hey look what we made with the footage we had" kind of thing, but AO was a tragedy. If it was its own standalone thing it wouldn't be half bad, but the pacing and the plot-holes made by trying to tie it in to the original made it horrible. Plus the whole making GBS threads on the original ending part was the worst. gently caress AO (except the awesome music).

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If you like Turn A, you'll like Eureka Seven. It also has a bit in common with Gundam X if you like that show.
On the opposite of that note, will I like Gundam Reconquista in G if I like E7? I am entirely basing this question on the character designer but whatever

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 13, 2014

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

E7 sucks real bad, sorry ya'll. Nothing interesting happens, information comes at a trickle which would be fine if anything of consequence or even entertainment happened between our knowledge of the universe expanding (like in Tomino where, love it or hate it, you are loving glued to that screen because what on earth is happening), the characters always just feel flat and dull and quite frankly the tone and execution of the final episode should have been of the entire series.

why do they live in the woods

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I saw the final episode of E7 and i enjoyed the last half of it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

On the opposite of that note, will I like Gundam Reconquista in G if I like E7? I am entirely basing this question on the character designer but whatever

Yes. Purely on the basis that I love both of them.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I just finished it and thought it was pretty good. So are the movie and sequel not worth watching? If they're bad I would rather skip them and not have them disappoint me.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If you liked E7 you will probably not particularly appreciate Pocketful of Rainbows' message ("why did you come here to watch E7 again?") and outright hate AO (Dewey was right).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I just about got what Pocketful was trying to say and, if executed better it would have been better received as a message.

Mostly because it sort of warns against wishing the likes of AO into existence.

AO is an affront to everything that made E7 good and should be consigned to the same hell that Nadesico: Prince of Darkness and Chrono Cross rot in for the sin of character and story assassination.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 31, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ConanThe3rd posted:

AO is an affront to everything that made E7 good and should be consigned to the same hell that Nadesico: Prince of Darkness and Chrono Cross rot in for the sin of character and story assassination.

Please. Chrono Cross is not THAT bad. Nadesico's movie was probably the worst anime movie I think I had ever seen. Cross toys with how lovely things can get when you allow time travel and dimension hopping. Huge gulf of quality between the two.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I just about got what Pocketful was trying to say and, if executed better it would have been better received as a message.

Mostly because it sort of warns against wishing the likes of AO into existence.

Chrono Cross was great gently caress you.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I've almost finished my rewatch. Anyone know what piece of music Oratorio #8 is a reference to?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

it's zorak's favorite show

So it's bad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boogaleeboo posted:

The correct answer was "RahXephon". Sorry. RahXephon.
Episode 19 of Rahxephon is probably better than most mecha shows in their entireties

Rahxephon and Eureka Seven both nail the "weird as gently caress techno-organic mecha designs" look I really like

Hemisphere is an incredible song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCDoifoKkLA

The Vermillions are my favorite single mecha design

this is my post about Rahxephon that vaguely mentions Eureka Seven(which is also good)

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the best characters lose to a guy that wears a faggier thing around his neck than Fred from Scooby Doo and it always makes me mad. Papa Charles and Mama Ray are always in my heart

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

the best characters lose to a guy that wears a faggier thing around his neck than Fred from Scooby Doo and it always makes me mad. Papa Charles and Mama Ray are always in my heart

Yeah that pissed me off.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Just kidding. Holland ftw. It was cool when he would beat Renton for no reason.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

vs

Holland is all mopey and trying to act cool and just thinking about how he can wear a scarf around his neck better. Charles is happy and excited and loves life. he loves his wife, and he just wants to be a papa.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Grandpa's got his groove back
I still remember my jaw hitting the floor when I heard Niji in the last episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9cQ8b87Wts

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Holland gets better, though. Like, a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Please. Chrono Cross is not THAT bad. Nadesico's movie was probably the worst anime movie I think I had ever seen. Cross toys with how lovely things can get when you allow time travel and dimension hopping. Huge gulf of quality between the two.
Cross and Ao are busom buddies in the field of taking the happy endings hard won by the characters of their predecessors and pissing it all away in favour of a story no one asked to be told.

Fie to the both of them.

• Locked thread