Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I don't think privileges are something that can be easily "given up" ('cept maybe, idk, "wealth privilege"?). So if an indignant tumblrista demands you do that, you can probably safely ignore them as they don't know gently caress all about privilege theory themselves. Not beyond the "some people have it, others don't" level anyway.

Isn't privilege, as far as theory goes, typically assigned to a person by society at large, and not something they control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
If it's worth anything I don't think Space Whale is a moron or a racist, just really stubborn. I thought his mini-autobiography was pretty illuminating so, thanks for sharing I guess.

I've never heard the word 'gook' in a non-racist context in my whole life. Then again I watched a lot of vietnam movies growing up v:shobon:v

Maybe people can let bygones be bygones since the guy says he won't say 'gook' any more, which was the object of the whole shaming exercise to begin with.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Dear loving god is this still going on?

Here have this old-rear end article that I just remembered coming up in one of the old -ism threads, it might be wrong or outdated or whatever but at least it'll be something to talk about that isn't stubborn internet guy.

"Exiting the Vampire Castle"
https://www.thenorthstar.info/?p=11299

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I think the idea that inner circle politics in a lot of the more hopeless internet "leftist" movements is similar to a priesthood/cult is interesting. Sniffing around for sinful behavior/thoughts, arresting the sinner, and then demanding expiation through confession and contrition (mostly as a power play to affirm your own purity and enhance/maintain your status relative to other members of the priesthood I gather) in ways that are hard to differentiate from abuse, seems to be a recurring theme.

An actual sin doesn't even need to have been committed; the suspicion of transgression is enough to set off a frenzy. People are permanently on edge and watching each other like hawks for the slightest hint of deviation from the group ideology, and if too much time passes without a purge, some new thing will suddenly become taboo, allowing for a brand new purge.

You will always have cliques and scenes that devour themselves, that are open to manipulation by abusive, controlling personalities. Don't take this as me saying that these things happen only on Tumblr, Twitter, or in an anarchist commune. Not by a long shot. These weaknesses and flaws are driven by impulses that are much more pronounced and damaging as a whole, I would say, in groups aligned with the right, than in those on the left. But it's something I notice a lot these days, and it can't just be reactionary whinging bringing it to my attention.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

tsa posted:

The us vs. them of the left here is every bit as strong as the average teapartier. Actually tea partiers might be more willing to hear opposing ideas.

Perfect example right here. Complete us vs. them that would make Bush blush. Honestly there's no better support of the points made in the OP than the posters responses' here to any criticism.

We must be reading alternate universe versions of this thread since aside from (admittedly) the last 10 pages of mind-numbing puppetmaster bullshit, things have been kept relatively civil and interesting.

Also I am having a hell of a time trying to wrap my head around your comparison to the tea party here. This is not freep of the left. That was LF.

• Locked thread