Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Blue Star posted:

Sounds like another "political correctness gone mad" opinion piece. I don't buy it. Oppressed people do not have to take the feelings of oppressors into account, nor should they. Most men are misogynist. White people are racist. Sorry if that hurts somebody's feelings.

No but being oppressed or having another vantage point on an issue doesn't make that vantage point inherently correct. There's a whole bunch of grad students out there just using concepts like hegemony and cultural imperialism in critiques without really backing them up or providing a real link or harm. This is a bad thing, since it undermines legitimate arguments and stances.

Explain why a view is bad and how it links to an argument instead of just saying "Pfft, that's coming from a straight white man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread