Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mineaiki posted:

You can't reason with people who are wholeheartedly reactionary about their politics because by definition they are on the defensive politically. Gay marriage isn't just something the right doesn't like, it's something that they have convinced themselves is a real threat to their core values and way of life in order to justify being so strongly against it. So when you reach across the aisle to try to compromise with them you're saying "Hey, how about instead of burning down every church in America and forcing your kids to be gay like we really want, we just burn down half the churches and just make all the teachers in schools gay?"
I think the difference between lefties and staunch right wingers is that the left sees the average right winger as being mislead by the powerful or even willfully ignorant, but that they can be changed and educated. A small but significant portion of the right sees the left as morally bankrupt or even evil. Even if evidence supports the "liberal" position, if you think liberals are bad humans you probably wont be swayed. Spending time trying to win over the right through arguments doesn't really work.

A united left pushing through progressive policies that actually help people will be far more effective at swaying people over to the left. The left gets caught up trying to be ideologically perfect and often forgets about pragmatism. Trying to score burn points and telling other progressives to check their privilege does nothing to actually achieve goals. Supporting other progressives, even if you disagree with them on a few issues, will yield better results than trying to force out anyone that disagrees ever so slightly with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Strudel Man posted:

Really, I think a lot of the left has entirely given up on changing anyone's opinions. Current political opponents are misogynistic, racist oppressors who have to die for anything to change.

I agree that sentiment is growing among the radical campus and tumblr crowd, but I don't think the majority of the left is nearly that extreme. While I dislike the tumblr crowd, I do think that trying to win over the average right wing citizen with words is useless. My reason is that they are ill informed and programmed to dislike the left instead of them being evil monsters.

Obama spent time arguing for health reform with republicans that were never going to be convinced by words. Republicans just do what they want and push things through.

What I am trying to say is that arguments alone won't really win over people that think you are bad. The public gets taught to mistrust and hate the left and arguments alone won't fix that. Focus on getting results and people will come along. If left wing policies provide tangible benefits like worker protections and lower healthcare costs, people will support them eventually. On social issues like gay marriage, hardline cons have lost the argument that allowing gay marriage will ruin society. Particularly with young people that were indoctrinated to be anti-gay, they will see that the world didn't end and some will question their stance. Not all, but some will be swayed. Show that change is not bad and win people over. Celebrate your accomplishments and give people a reason to join your side. Don't spend all your time infighting and end up getting nothing done.

• Locked thread