Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like another "political correctness gone mad" opinion piece. I don't buy it. Oppressed people do not have to take the feelings of oppressors into account, nor should they. Most men are misogynist. White people are racist. Sorry if that hurts somebody's feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't deny that there are extremists and people who aren't constructive, like people who advocate violence or whatever. But this piece and the comments seem to be saying "Hey, stop being so demanding and angry. Watch your tone."

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How is it an argument for separatism? I was just criticizing the essay. The whole essay is a tone argument. "Stop being so angry"

Look at how Balnakio responded to me. "As a white male this is what drives me away from the left."

Really, dude? So, what drives you away from the Right, then? Do we need to be nicer to you to keep you from going to the Right?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just a quick question:

Those of you who are complaining about leftwing activists going on about privilege and being cult-like: are you white and male?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Someone should put you out of your misery

Just to let the rest of the thread know: this person also PMed me to call me a human being. Do women usually get called faggots? I dunno

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

No, like, I don't loving care about the vast numbers of people alienated away from leftism because of this, even if they're in the double digits. Many of those people have no real sympathy for leftism like Kyrie, have broken brains like you, or can be brought back in with alternatives. What's more important for me are the people being led down into a sucking void of despair and learned helplessness.

I agree with this.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
All you guys going on about the left driving people away and hurting people: can you explain what exactly you mean by that? Who is being driven away from leftist causes and activism, and why?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SparkPeople posted:

Moderates are being driven away. People who support the ideas you do, but are turned off by the extremist rhetoric and blanketing of people.

Ie. "All men are mostly racist. All white people are racist."

If I was white and male, and the movement I wanted to be a part of said that attributes I have no control of make me a part of the problem, it makes my inherent existence a problem.

The thing is, in my experience, it doesn't seem to matter how nice and accommodating we are. Even the statement of simple truths is enough to rile people up. Try to talk about the poo poo that women face, or non-white people face, or LGBT people face, and you open yourself to harassment and abuse. It doesn't seem to matter if you qualify your statements with "Now, only a minority of men are like this...", or "Now obviously not all white people do this...", you'll still get a massive response from pissed off dudes and white people going "Well what about MEN being raped by WOMEN, huh? HUH?!", or "What about when BLACK PEOPLE kill WHITE PEOPLE, huh?! HUH?!" It just doesn't seem to matter. The only thing that will NOT piss these people off is if you say "Women harass and rape men just as much as vice-verse; black people are just as racist as white people and black cops murder unarmed white men just as much", despite all evidence to the contrary.

Yes I agree that many leftist activists wrongfully condemn entire groups of people and can be very prejudiced in their own right, and that many leftists are pretty privileged themselves. There are lots of things to criticize left activists for, and maybe the author of the essay has some good points. I'm just tired of hearing "Whoa, we need to be nicer so as to not drive people away", because to my eyes, people are driven away simply by stating facts.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't even mention transgendered people :confused:. Not by themselves, anyway; i mentioned LGBT people as a whole. I have no idea why Casimir Radon even zeroed in on that.

Even if he were right about trans folks, that's got absolutely nothing to do with anything else I posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Space Whale posted:

Thundering rear end in a top hat to you vs thundering rear end in a top hat on your side, to others. This is an important distinction.

But this goes back to what I said earlier: that it doesn't seem to matter how nice or accommodating or civil or polite or respectful you are; people will be hostile to you even if you're just stating brute facts. I can understand if a whole bunch of people were saying "kill all cis-het white men mwahahahaha", then I can see why that would drive people away. But even when people are just like "Look, sexism/racism is still a thing, okay?", and citing studies to support it, it STILL incites hostility. And then you go "Hey, stop being such thundering assholes, you thunderasses!" But nobody's being a thundering rear end in a top hat?

Hell, even in this post that I'm quoting, it sounds like you're admitting that one person's thundering rear end in a top hat is another person's ally. Leftwing activists can be as nice and respectful as possible, but they'd still come across as "thundering assholes" to certain people. Well then, what the gently caress?

• Locked thread