Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Blue Star posted:

Sounds like another "political correctness gone mad" opinion piece. I don't buy it. Oppressed people do not have to take the feelings of oppressors into account, nor should they. Most men are misogynist. White people are racist. Sorry if that hurts somebody's feelings.

It's kind of funny how 'political correctness gone mad' has evolved into something left wing activists use to hand-wave away any criticism.

Coolness Averted posted:

No but being oppressed or having another vantage point on an issue doesn't make that vantage point inherently correct. There's a whole bunch of grad students out there just using concepts like hegemony and cultural imperialism in critiques without really backing them up or providing a real link or harm. This is a bad thing, since it undermines legitimate arguments and stances.

Yea this is really where the problem becomes really apparent. Not only are bad studies constantly used if they agree with __activism cause #33__, but pointing out the issues with the argument / study becomes an attack on the cause itself. Of course if the study disagrees with the cause all these shortcomings will be extensively pointed out- in short intellectual honesty is rare on either side of the aisle.

Anyway Chris Rock basically said the same thing as the OP:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/01/chris-rock-colleges-conservative_n_6250308.html

quote:

Chris Rock Stopped Playing Colleges Because They're 'Too Conservative'

Not in their political views -- not like they’re voting Republican -- but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody. Kids raised on a culture of “We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.” Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say “the black kid over there.” No, it’s “the guy with the red shoes.” You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive.

I always thought the point of the Freep thread was to make fun of them for both their views and the hostile/ angry way they express them, but honestly the hostility to opposing views here is just as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Effectronica posted:

The problem, as I see it, is that these generally involve distortions of leftist thought and there's nothing that's being done to counteract them. This can (and arguably is) leading to people developing unjust theories via these distortions. I don't see the grand public menace people are claiming exists, but I do see an internal problem for leftists.

The problem with privilege theory is very simple : you can't apply population statistics directly to individuals. The whole thing is just garbage.

Space Whale posted:

I do wonder why they attack privilege, when the point was to help the under privileged until they were as privileged as everyone else.

Like, what the hell. Do they WANT everyone to be afraid of the cops? :confused: I'm all for the privileges being at the same level, I just want them to go up.

It makes sense once you realize a lot of online 'activists' are just assholes who found a different way to be assholes to others.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Foma posted:

Do people want to debate and discuss or is the left stuck in insular groups and who laugh, point, and get offended.

Look at the front page of D&D.

"Right Wing Media: Rachel Maddow for Republicans"
"Got a crazy forwarded political email from your family? Post them here."
"Freepers: Party on, Marxist dogs!"
"The Best (Worst) Of Conservapedia"

It isn't an attempt to engage, it is mocking/degrading. No attempt to find common ground or expand worldviews. It is a bit like bullying it makes you feel strong, but doesn't make your stronger

The us vs. them of the left here is every bit as strong as the average teapartier. Actually tea partiers might be more willing to hear opposing ideas.

England Sucks posted:

There is no common ground to be had anymore. The right wing in America can not be reasoned with.

Perfect example right here. Complete us vs. them that would make Bush blush. Honestly there's no better support of the points made in the OP than the posters responses' here to any criticism.

• Locked thread