Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Helsing posted:

You know it is fair to ask questions but if you have literally no knowledge of this at all then you should go educate yourself. It`s not the obligation of any poster on these forums to spoon feed information to you. And after a point it starts to look like you don`t really care about the answers and are just using this endless line of banal questioning as a way to shut down a more interesting or substantive discussion.

The gently caress? He's using rhetorical questioning to point out a flaw in the reasoning of the post he quoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Space Whale posted:

Rape is bad, grape is a fruit with rape as the last 4 letters.

Slope is racist, and a concept of geometry and topology.

Gook is racist. Gaggle of gooks is a loving alliteration.

This kind of poo poo I really don't give an iota of a gently caress about anymore. Don't waste your time.

"Nest of niggers" is alliteration too. Is there another definition I don't know about for gook or are you really using 'poetry' as an excuse to use slurs?

gently caress this guy. "GUYS I REALLY CARE ABOUT ACTING LIKE I CARE BUT WHATS THE BIG DEAL IF I USE SLURS?"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Space Whale posted:

We need an emote of a squirrel leaping on a peanut for when a "Oooohhhhhh I got you I'm telling!!!" Derail happens like this.

That or maybe Phoenix Wright or the trap card kid?

You sure told me with that adhom.

Ad hom is only a falacy when it's not relevant to a discussion. Similar to the word derail actually. Your inability to understand why you shouldn't use that phrase is highly relevant to this discussion.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Space Whale posted:

I completely understand your logic and reasoning. I think it's bullshit.

I'm not a kid being scolded or someone arguing over anything remotely objective. Don't present it as such.

I'm not presenting it as that. I'm pointing out that you having no interest in engaging in any real discourse. You drop a phrase like the super popular and common "gaggle of gooks" idiom, which google can only find 101 results for, and then say this:

Space Whale posted:

Rape is bad, grape is a fruit with rape as the last 4 letters.

Slope is racist, and a concept of geometry and topology.

Gook is racist. Gaggle of gooks is a loving alliteration.

This kind of poo poo I really don't give an iota of a gently caress about anymore. Don't waste your time.

You don't give a poo poo about discussion or privelege you just want to bitch about leftists while casually dropping slurs so you can then play the upstanding citizen being harassed by the PC police when called on it. Or you genuinely believe what you said in the post I quoted above and you are beyond the ability to look at yourself critically at all. Either way everyone in this thread would be best served by putting you on ignore. You might have well said someone was trying to "Jew me out of my money."

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 8, 2014

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The phrase "cop out" is offensive to the many upstading officers who have died defending civillians.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

OK so the last page or so is a dude melting down over his right to use anachronistic slurs, and that sure is something, but was this an accurate summary?

It is in that it is largely the same strawmanning of leftist positions that has been going on for most of the thread.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
He doesn't owe anyone anything. He's clearly an idiot or trolling.

goatse.cx posted:

Exaggerated but people really haven't raised any convincing defense of privilege theory so far itt.

Why does it need defending?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Who What Now posted:

"Why won't you just let me say gook, friend of the family, spic, and wop without calling me racist?!"-:qq:

Stop feeding the 'Leftists persecute me' troll. He thinks the 'friend of the family' is only offensive if a black person hears it. There's no fixing him.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

The fuss is because folks DO want to tell people that they know how it is to live a person's live because they've lived 1/5 of it's aspects.

Also they tend to buy into just world theory and if they have privilege maybe they aren't actually better than poor black people.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I was wondering how long it would take him to claim puppetmaster. The best was when he kept insisting about it for 5 more posts. He's posted like 3x the :words: of anyone else here, but he's totes puppetmastering. You all lost your minds at his bad word. Really, you did. Now stop quoting him so I don't have to read his posts.

me posted:

You don't give a poo poo about discussion or privelege you just want to bitch about leftists while casually dropping slurs so you can then play the upstanding citizen being harassed by the PC police when called on it. Or you genuinely believe what you said in the post I quoted above and you are beyond the ability to look at yourself critically at all. Either way everyone in this thread would be best served by putting you on ignore. You might have well said someone was trying to "Jew me out of my money."

I did this then, you should too.

Does anyone have the study handy where people would, generally, rather have $50 and everyone else $20 than everyone have $70? And more importantly, is there any evidence that this can be applied to other things? Because that's a pretty obvious place where we can apply privilege theory. Poor whites still have white privilege, and they may want to keep it specifically because they enjoy having superiority where they can get it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Job Truniht isn't complaining about a caricature. He's complaining about the constant side derails that bring down leftist conversation. That poo poo about feminazis was contributed by someone else.

Gantolandon posted:

Dude, this flame died down about two-three pages ago. I'm not sure why you're bringing it up right now if you're so tired with it.

People were literally quoting him on the last page.

Job Truniht posted:

They exist. I just posted a video of them in Portland a few pages back, doing exactly what I said they'd do.

I kind of get where you are going with this because it would be a huge pain in the rear end to deal with but at the same time it's pretty much peak white privilege to say that minorities and women can't talk about issues affecting them. And you got agreed with by some ridiculous rear end in a top hat and are getting lumped in with him. Instead of banning it from leftist conversations, maybe try to encourage focused topics. No ones perfect, so when you have a big tent and you let one group freak out over a speaker who tangentially offends them that just doesn't work.

It's not like that guy magically gets to make all the rules, so maybe they should let him talk about what he's 'knowledgeable' on and boo when he says a specific stupid thing related to what they are knowledgeable about.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 9, 2014

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Foma posted:

"Freepers: Party on, Marxist dogs!"
"The Best (Worst) Of Conservapedia"

I dunno if these are really the sites we should be approaching with an open mind that they may be right.

Foma posted:

The Right (which is nebulous as you have social conservatives and libertarians in the same grouping) is reasonable
about the Keystone Pipeline

Radley Balko http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/radley-balko is right about ways to limit police abuse and brutality

Reason is right on a lot of the asset forfeiture stuff.

Not sure if Tyler Cowen is right in Average is Over, but his ideas are worth thinking about http://marginalrevolution.com/

I'm going to check these things out, but maybe someone should also be posting them in the relevant threads for them to be debated and discussed. As far as the tribalism thing goes, I do think it's obvious both sides engage in it, but you don't see it as often around here. You definitely see it, but it's pretty obvious when it's happening. I've never seen anything like this from the left, or at least not around here.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

hepatizon posted:

I had a recent discussion with a good friend about whether gay marriage legalization was a good thing for the country. She posited it was morally neutral at best because the movement didn't do enough for trans rights, and several Occupy-affiliated people agreed.

This is loving stupid and exactly why the one guy was saying we need to stop bringing one issue into discussion of other issues.

• Locked thread