Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
This is some crazyness Emily Yoffe experienced

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/12/college_rape_campus_sexual_assault_is_a_serious_problem_but_the_efforts.html

quote:

It’s a surprisingly loaded subject, given the widely acknowledged prevalence of drinking on American campuses. Last year, I wrote about drinking and sexual assault in a Slate piece titled, “College Women: Stop Getting Drunk.” I said that binge drinking was bad for everyone but that it presented a particular danger for young women because it made them more vulnerable to sexual assault—I described sober predators who specifically targeted intoxicated women. I was widely denounced for “victim-blaming.” This year, I was disinvited to speak at a West Coast college after board members of a student organization that had invited me decided my presence would make student victims “feel unsafe.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Is it for people to break away and start to start Liberal+?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Do people want to debate and discuss or is the left stuck in insular groups and who laugh, point, and get offended.

Look at the front page of D&D.

"Right Wing Media: Rachel Maddow for Republicans"
"Got a crazy forwarded political email from your family? Post them here."
"Freepers: Party on, Marxist dogs!"
"The Best (Worst) Of Conservapedia"

It isn't an attempt to engage, it is mocking/degrading. No attempt to find common ground or expand worldviews. It is a bit like bullying it makes you feel strong, but doesn't make your stronger

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

MoaM posted:

It would be more helpful to actually show England Sucks examples of Republicans/Right-Wing Americans having reasonable views on key issues rather than adding yet another "I don't like the tone of leftist politics" post to the pile.

The Right (which is nebulous as you have social conservatives and libertarians in the same grouping) is reasonable
about the Keystone Pipeline

Radley Balko http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/radley-balko is right about ways to limit police abuse and brutality

Reason is right on a lot of the asset forfeiture stuff.

Not sure if Tyler Cowen is right in Average is Over, but his ideas are worth thinking about http://marginalrevolution.com/

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

I dunno if these are really the sites we should be approaching with an open mind that they may be right.

I am not suggesting we take those sites seriously, I am saying that picking the smallest retard on the playground pointing and laughing at them might make you feel big, but doesn't make you big.

• Locked thread