Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
So the author, based upon personal experiences, aligned herself with 'radical' leftists to combat the social surpression she faced. Then upon graduating and becoming a professional (engineer), she adopted the ideology of her employer as is the custom. This article is a pretty good picture of kicking the ladder out from behind you once you finish climing it.

It's also analogous to creating a psa warning people not to fist their own rear end in a top hat while they're trying to wipe it after taking a poo poo.

E: Sure vox, you're cool. Ill give it another crack.

Kristov fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

You might want to reread the article- you're pretty badly misconstruing it.

Ok, I read it slowly and more deliberate this time and... she doesn't really say anything at all. She takes a kind tone, and seems to genuinely care to some extent, but I must just be too far removed from her world because her criticisms just smell like strawman bullshit. loving 'otherkin'? Really? That is not a real thing, it's a silly trope invented to shut up people who criticize various societal bullshit.

People are barely making end's meat and are getting royally screwed, often literally (see: rape and how we allow people to get away with it because it makes us uncomfortable). And she starts talking poo poo about being nice to people and 'otherkin' as if that is a thing that actually matters and is relevant anywhere at all ever.

The whole 'stop being so angry all the time about everything even though everything everywhere is infuriating' is pretty good advice, though. If you can't take a step back, marvel, and laugh at this absurd hosed-up existence then you'll drive yourself 6ft into the dirt.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

computer parts posted:

She mentions Otherkin for one paragraph and it's to say effectively "just because someone says they're oppressed doesn't mean you need to take their word as God".

And yes, they do exist, the market for them is too large to be entirely a joke (even if they themselves are very very small in number).

Yeah, but that's what I meant by the author not really saying anything. That's a very 'no duh' position to make. We all weren't born yesterday nor are we beep-boop robots. Most people can understand on a societal level that women, darker skinned people, mentally ill people, etc. get readily poo poo on by society.

My skin is white and im a dude, and I can talk about how black people regularly get hosed by the police and women are sexually harassed on the street. I've personally been stopped by cops for no good reason and catcalled on the street as well. But I cannot know the terror and dread of a black person who is thinking "Oh poo poo, this is it, im gonna die or go to prison and have my life ruined. Oh man, c'mon stay calm. No sudden movements and maybe I'll live". I cannot know the vulnerability and anxiety of a woman who is thinking "Oh poo poo did I make eye contact? Oh god please, dont follow me. Oh no is he following me? poo poo poo poo poo poo, this is it, this is my rape. Im gonna get raped. Why did I look at him?"

People get kinda mad when you attempt to speak for them as if you completely understand what their lives are like, especially if they know you can't really understand. They also tend to get more frustrated on top of that when you tell them to watch their tone when they criticize you for fronting.

Kristov fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 4, 2014

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

I fundamentally disagree. A standpoint epistemic framing, especially a categorical one, and especially one that's constructed strictly along racial or gender lines, does a tremendous disservice to the shared experience and humanity of those in a civic discourse. The "You cannot know" framing is precisely what creates the problems that the rest of the thread has discussed.

Replace "I cannot know" with I cannot feel" then. Feel is probably a more accurate word to use if you take those 3 words out of the context of knowing what a very specific flavor of terror, dread, vulnerability, or anxiety feels like.

• Locked thread