Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I hardly ever take part in these conversations because they are so drat painful for me. I get infuriated with all this poo poo about Social Justice Warrior and Tumblr as if it is some kind of boogeyman. There is a thread in Games about GTA V where the conversation started heading in the direction of maybe having a female protagonist and you pretty much got expected results even though 15 percent of the fanbase is female.

Then I remember a thread where a lot of goons lost their poo poo, over the notion that White opinions can be worth less than minority opinions on racial matters. The funny thing about that is that minority opinions are often seen as worthless in almost all matters. But there was this one aspect of society where people just lost their poo poo at not being seen as equals in the conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Space Whale posted:

Having different life experiences - wrongs.

Those different life experiences often make you blind to racial and gender issues. But I'm going to stop talking about it, because this is definitely headed to a bad direction.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Space Whale posted:

Focusing on race and gender issues can make you blind to other problems people have, and the #800 gorilla of class is still busy sitting in the corner waiting to be relevant again.

You know when you enter into a conversation on racial issues, the worst thing you can try to do is change the subject to talk about yourself or your own pet issues or how its really about class.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Space Whale posted:

This thread isn't about racial issues, it's about how radicals can't communicate or cooperate.

lol

Holy poo poo, are you even paying attention to the conversations you are having? I posted a post about things dealing with race. You replied about your life experiences or some poo poo and how it allowed you to have a viable opinion when it came to those matters, and then you followed up with poo poo about how dealing with class is supposed to help racial issues.

Also, leftism can be about more than gender and race, but it isn't Zero-sum. But when you go into conversations telling people to stop talking about certain things so you can talk about your own pet things, it makes you sound like an rear end.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Space Whale posted:

It certainly doesn't give me viable opinions on race or womanhood or queerness, but it does give me "viable" opinions on being an orphan, poor, traumatized, and so on.

My point is a few loud screeching poo poo heads make it about them and their issues only and poo poo on the groups their in and drive away people who get sick of putting up with it! It's not just about race or sex or poverty, but when you get more power wielding the racial or sex oppression batons and not much with the poverty bat, you wield race and sex!

People don't pretend to be poor online, but my god, will they claim to be black or queer! Noticed that?

I agree! Black issues don't interfere with poor issues with queer issues with women's issues with ableism issues.

Now tell me about how the people currently ruling the roost of the left DON'T make it about THEIR pet things, please.

As for people pretending to be black or queer, who the gently caress cares?

Also, Who rules the roost on the left?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Space Whale posted:

If you actually are a 32 year old black guy, uh, you might? I guess? It's cool if you don't though.

Probably whoever is the most popular with "we consume outrage as media!" kids, pop icons of women's/queer/color "things", and of course the slashies of the world.

Im not 32 and I don't pretend to be black. I find it amazing that people actually think its an advantage to be black in this day and age.

Also, I doubt Beyonce is ruling the left. That is because there is no leader on the left. In fact the left tends to be made of a large group of different people who believe different things. But you seem to be harboring a lot of resentment against minorities and women for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mortley posted:

I know the consensus was that this thread derailed repeatedly and went to poo poo, but the last 5 posts have followed exactly what the article in the OP recommends - in activism, look for concrete policy recommendations which are informed by theory rather than political vaporware.

Yet, there are things that cannot be fixed by policy alone. People like to jump on body cameras as a way to fix these killings of minorities by police officers, yet we got one that was filmed on video and nothing happened.

But Guy DeBorgore's point was reached simply by listening to those specific in the community and giving them a voice instead of insinuating that if you help a specific group, then all groups will be helped.

• Locked thread